WiFi in CoreOS

ClassCoder

Jan 19, 2015, 3:29:05 PM1/19/15
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I admit I have a strange setup. I'm in need of WiFi in CoreOS and can't quite find out how. (It's Linux, so it's possible :P) Is there some kernel module I can build for it?

By the way, my first box's WiFi adapter is the USB Ralink RT5370 if that matters.

Brian Harrington

Jan 19, 2015, 4:26:30 PM1/19/15
to ClassCoder, coreo...@googlegroups.com
First and foremost you'll need to confirm which driver you need to add.  One way of doing this is identifying the driver from a live cd of another distro.  After you figure that out you'll need to add it to the kernel configuration and perform a rebuild.  Basic directions on doing this can be found at:

https://coreos.com/docs/sdk-distributors/sdk/modifying-coreos/

--Brian 'redbeard' Harrington

On 01/19/2015 12:29 PM, ClassCoder wrote:
Yes, I admit I have a strange setup. I'm in need of WiFi in CoreOS and can't quite find out how. (It's Linux, so it's possible :P) Is there some kernel module I can build for it?

By the way, my first box's WiFi adapter is the USB Ralink RT5370 if that matters.

ClassCoder

Jan 19, 2015, 4:27:18 PM1/19/15
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
Also, I have a netbook that, if needed, can be used as a WiFi->Ethernet bridge but I'd like to not do that. That's why I'm trying to get this working.

王益

May 14, 2016, 11:04:13 AM5/14/16
to CoreOS User
I have no experience adding wifi drivers to CoreOS, but I tried to build CUDA GPU driver kernel modules for CoreOS and put the driver into a Docker images together with the application that needs GPU (which means I don't need to install the driver on CoreOS.)  Here follows how I build CUDA driver https://github.com/k8sp/cuda. It's inspired by this work.

henning schmick

Oct 18, 2017, 8:00:42 AM10/18/17
to CoreOS User
Hi,

Did you manage to get wifi to work and can you give some pointers in the right direction or how you proceeded?

That would be very useful, as we are currently in the same situation as you.

Thank you!

David Michael

Oct 18, 2017, 2:58:33 PM10/18/17
to henning schmick, CoreOS User
Oops, it looks like this didn't CC this list, sorry for resending...

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 5:00 AM, 'henning schmick' via CoreOS User
<coreo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Did you manage to get wifi to work and can you give some pointers in the
> right direction or how you proceeded?
>
> That would be very useful, as we are currently in the same situation as you.

I've used wireless on a laptop with these steps:
https://gist.github.com/dm0-/1f656b68491cd22e65ae0f33d4f1dd25

Note that file hasn't been updated in a while and may need tweaking at
this point. It also intends to replace the whole kernel, but you may
be able to just take the modules you need by checking out the exact
commit in /var/lib/portage/coreos-overlay that corresponds to your
current OS version before building. (That will happen automatically
when https://github.com/coreos/dev-util/pull/22 gets reviewed.)

You should be able to run wpa_supplicant or any other user-space
components in a container with host networking.

Thanks.

David

Henning Schmick

Oct 18, 2017, 3:19:45 PM10/18/17
to David Michael, CoreOS User
Hi,

all right, that sounds interesting! I will check it out and post my experiences here again when and if i get any thing up. This might also shed some light on the whole kernel/OS/modification-thing as a whole for me.

Thanks a lot, best regards,

Henning