ANN: Consul 0.7.0-rc2 release candidate available

ja...@hashicorp.com

Aug 30, 2016, 9:07:54 PM8/30/16
to Consul

Hello everyone,

We are pleased to announce another release candidate build of Consul. As with all -rc builds, these are still undergoing testing and should not be run in any critical production applications, but we are publishing them to help get testing help and feedback from the community.

There are no outstanding features, so if testing goes well this should be very close to the final release build for Consul 0.7.0.

Here's a summary of what's new in 0.7.0-rc2 since the 0.7.0-rc1 build:

* Set the default Raft timing to more conservative values for stable performance on lower-powered servers. See https://www.consul.io/docs/guides/performance.html for details, and be sure to tune these for higher performance if you want the previous default values.

* Added a new set of operator tools to manage Raft. See https://www.consul.io/docs/commands/operator.html for details.

* Enabled https://www.consul.io/docs/agent/options.html#allow_stale by default when serving DNS requests, so you'll need to change your configuration to opt-out of this default.

* Fixed an issue where the Circonus API token would be displayed in /v1/agent/self; this has now been redacted.

Please see the full change log for details, and for notes on backwards incompatibilities in this version:

https://github.com/hashicorp/consul/blob/v0.7.0-rc2/CHANGELOG.md

There are also several upgrade notes specific to this version:

https://www.consul.io/docs/upgrade-specific.html

The release binaries can be downloaded here:

https://releases.hashicorp.com/consul/0.7.0-rc2/

We'd appreciate any community help testing this release in non-critical environments and giving feedback here or via GitHub issues. Thanks!

-- James

Miguel Terrón

Sep 1, 2016, 10:55:04 PM9/1/16
to Consul
Guys, checksums do not match for 0.7.0-rc2 for the linux_amd64 build

The sha256sums file shows: 0311c08b843a7eaf626ef7da10fc02d9351f49568f0e0d7cb6adfecc76941842  consul_0.7.0-rc2_linux_amd64.zip
The downloaded file I get has a sha256hash of: adcf13cbeaf13f9839e4b0914a04926d49e9bd47df75cdc30117818f69a0ae5b  consul_0.7.0-rc2_linux_amd64.zip

I downloaded the file multiple times, both on windows and linux with the same results.

Could you please validate?

Cheers

James Phillips

Sep 1, 2016, 11:19:58 PM9/1/16
to consu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Miguel,

Good catch and sorry for any confusion. There was an initial upload that I pulled back and it looks like the CDN didn't get fully purged. I just purged everything and compared a fresh download against the s3 contents and it should be good now.

The good news is that adcf13cbeaf13f9839e4b0914a04926d49e9bd47df75cdc30117818f69a0ae5b is the right hash for consul_0.7.0-rc2_linux_amd64.zip, so it looks like the actual release binary was good, it was the SHA256SUMS file that was stale.

Can you please try again?

-- James

GitHub Issues: https://github.com/hashicorp/consul/issues
IRC: #consul on Freenode
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Consul" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/consul-tool/4781384e-3d8e-4527-b116-3048b9a80d2b%40googlegroups.com.