Oracle GG Confluent Kafka Adapter

Björn Ahl

Nov 9, 2016, 4:26:53 AM11/9/16
to Confluent Platform
Is it possible to configure Confluent Kafka Adapter to use avro format ?

I tried to configure - confluent.properties
value.converter=io.confluent.connect.avro.AvroConverter

key
.converter=io.confluent.connect.avro.AvroConverter

Then i get Kafka message in Avro. But then the Golden Gate Replicat Process to abend when i do schema changs (Add Column to the table)

Error msg
2016-11-08 14:22:19  ERROR   OGG-15051  Oracle GoldenGate Delivery, ckafka.prm:  Java or JNI exception:
org
.apache.kafka.connect.errors.DataException: Failed to serialize Avro data:.
2016-11-08 14:22:19  ERROR   OGG-01668  Oracle GoldenGate Delivery, ckafka.prm:  PROCESS ABENDING.

I guess i have to configure value.serializer & key.serializer

Ewen Cheslack-Postava

Nov 11, 2016, 5:51:43 PM11/11/16
to Confluent Platform
Bjorn,

Have you specified the schema.registry.url somewhere in your config? You are probably using the AvroConverter but then it may fail to contact the schema registry if you haven't specified the right URL.

-Ewen

Thanks,
Ewen

da...@confluent.io

Nov 11, 2016, 5:57:12 PM11/11/16
to Confluent Platform
Please add the URI specification to the Schema Registry for the converters.   By default, the Avro converter expects to leverage that service.   The property settings will be :

key.converter.schema.registry.url=http://localhost:8081

value.converter.schema.registry.url=http://localhost:8081

(obviously, you'll include your deployment's Schema Registry location).

Alternatively, you could disable Schema's altogether by setting the [key|value].converter.schemas.enable flags to false, but that's not the model we recommend for Connectors.

-- David

Robin Moffatt

Nov 29, 2016, 5:12:00 PM11/29/16
to Confluent Platform
Just to follow this up for any future Google-hits -- if you have trailing whitespace in the url (as you'll get from copy & pasting the example here, on the value url) then it won't work (same error - Failed to serialize Avro data). I found this out the hard way :)

Björn Ahl

Nov 30, 2016, 4:00:32 AM11/30/16
to Confluent Platform
Thanks