2.3.4 upgrade - Content Scheduling plugin broken

Lawrence Offsite account

Mar 16, 2017, 5:05:08 PM3/16/17
to Concerto Digital Signage
So I upgraded to 2.3.4

Having the time zone problem finally fixed was nice.

But.

After reinstalling the "concerto_content_scheduling" and "concerto_emergency" plugins (which made no complaint, other than being listed but not installed after the upgrade, and needing a delete and reinstall to become installed again) they do not work as expected.

Pre-exsisting Scheduled content is displaying outside of the scheduled time.

An emergency message sent to the emergency feed is taking over the text display, but is not going to the Emergency screen template when it does so. That seems to be that the setting for it was lost, and putting it back to the "Emergency" template rather than the "default" that it had reverted to evidently fixed that. So, easily resolved. Moving on...

Scheduling is proving to be a bit more troublesome.

Having reinstalled the plugin and rebooted the server, it's still showing things when it should not, and when submitting new content it's also not bringing up the scheduling box when I click on "set schedule" under "frequency" - the schedule subdivision with frequency is there, but the interface from it is not coming up (tested in both Safari and Chrome.)

Scheduling is a very big part of how we use Concerto - allowing us to display time-relevant repeating information without having to tediously enter it over and over again, so this is a problem for us.

Is nobody else having this issue? Server is Debian Jessie. Just ran a general "apt-get upgrade" and an additional reboot without apparently affecting this problem.

Have now also tried deleting the plugin, rebooting, installing the plugin, rebooting. Interestingly, the first go-round on that the scheduling plugin is "not installed" again (though it was "installed" but not working before the reboot.) So delete, reinstall - Gem version: 0.0.4, installed: yes. reboot, Gem version: Unknown, Installed: no. Something is not right here. The above was installed from Source "Concerto Plugins" & that happens consistently upon reboot, as far as I have tested.

Installed from Source "RubyGems" same version 0.0.4 - but it survives a reboot and says it's still installed. However, it still does not bring up the scheduling box when "Set Schedule" is selected.

Diego Garcia del Rio

Mar 16, 2017, 5:20:35 PM3/16/17
to Concerto Digital Signage, catscoffe...@gmail.com
HI,

I had some issues with the content scheudling plugin as well. In my case, the scheduling popup not coming up was due to the fact that I hadn't run "rake precompile" before running a "rake install"  and then restarting apache/(your webserver). The javascript assets that build the popup for the scheduler are only added at recompile time.

Also, make sure the gem is added to Gemfile-plugin with UNDERSCORES in the name instead of dashes.

Finally, there were some fixes related to the time-zone of the screen and the server, so make sure all items have the proper time-zone configured inside concerto... (Im guessing this might be the issue you're seeing with regards to the content not being properly scheduled)

my 2 cents

Lawrence Offsite account

Mar 16, 2017, 5:48:30 PM3/16/17
to Concerto Digital Signage
Thanks - OK, this would appear to mean that I have to get into the backend where I don't normally go - that is, I normally just install the plugins from the GUI and it normally has worked in the past, so something is not now glued together that used to be.

As written in my first message, yes, I'm using underscores. So I can find /usr/local/bin/rake but what file am I supposed to be running it on? The scheduling plugin gem? And where is that buried (by default) in my server? I know less than nothing about ruby, and up until now that has not been a problem... I suppose I can run a find on / and see where it's hiding, but that's a bit tedious.

gem environment is supposed to tell me...but I'm not finding any Concerto-specific gems where it's pointing me (/var/lib/gems/2.1.0/gems/)

Timezones are all set correctly, pre-esisting content is showing up on _days_ where it should not be (things that only display on Tuesday and Sunday are showing now, on Thursday)

Lawrence Offsite account

Mar 16, 2017, 6:48:15 PM3/16/17
to Concerto Digital Signage

Upon further examination, this one piece appears to have been a side effect of the plugin not starting or becoming uninstalled when installed from the "Concerto Plugins" source - at the moment the the plugin installed from the "RubyGems" source is installed and the Sunday and Tuesday content is not showing up.

Thus far I have not found where/what I need to run the "rake precompile" command on to make the settings box show up.

Diego Garcia del Rio

Mar 16, 2017, 7:20:46 PM3/16/17
to Concerto Digital Signage, catscoffe...@gmail.com
In my particular server, I login as root

then go to /usr/share/concerto

and then run the following:

sudo -u www-data RAILS_ENV=production bundle exec rake assets:precompile
sudo -u www-data RAILS_ENV=production bundle install

I expect this if you're running concerto on apache...

I agree that the precompile should be happening by default...

(One note though.. Im a USER of concerto.. and got it working on my sistem with this command).. but still watch out.

As for content appearing on the wrong days.. .wow.. no clue!

Lawrence Offsite account

Mar 16, 2017, 10:56:52 PM3/16/17
to Concerto Digital Signage, Diego Garcia del Rio

Thanks, Diego, that does appear to have solved it, though I'll still feel like checking that things are displaying when they should be before I'm sure. The location was right and the commands worked, though there was some minor complaining about a temporary directory, which does not seem to have caused any problems as it used another directory, evidently successfully.

I also consider myself just a USER of the system. Sure, I'm the system administrator of the systems it runs on, and I have the administrator account, but I WANT the thing to work from the GUI without having to sneak down any back alleys, as there are way too many back alleys for one of me to keep up with. After 30-odd years of systems administration I like things that work from the GUI and don't require me to delve into the underbelly. I'll let the young folks that grew up with GUIs think that CLI is cool - having come at it the other way I find a functioning GUI is just dandy.

As my followup message noted, the wrong days thing was due to the scheduler flaking out (and when it was "not installed" the schedules were ignored, so that's when things from the wrong days were displayed.) So that's sorted, and having run what you sent has made it possible to enter schedules again.

Diego Garcia del Rio

Mar 17, 2017, 3:49:00 PM3/17/17
to Concerto Digital Signage, gar...@gmail.com, catscoffe...@gmail.com
Agree on the GUI... it would be great if the plugin install worked well out of the box.. sometimes it seems to be a bit wonky.. but anyhow.

Glad to help out.