Hard Drive

Komkid

Sep 27, 2012, 1:18:42 PM9/27/12
to Computer Tech Support
I have Western Digital drive that is 5 years old. (1TB) I plugged the
drive into my computer via usb case. The computer asked if i wanted to
"fix" the drive. I was doing a Chk Dsk when the computer froze. I had
to hard restart the computer. After I restarted the computer it would
not recognize the drive anymore. I have tried to read the partition
but using UBCD it fails to ready any of the sectors. Any Ideas?

Collins

Sep 28, 2012, 4:42:39 AM9/28/12
to computer-t...@googlegroups.com
you can try installing any linux operating system and then then uninstall and try any version of windows and if it fails then the sectors are permanently damaged and you'll have to buy another one.

Regards
Collins
.

Stefan Zeng

Sep 28, 2012, 4:44:57 AM9/28/12
to computer-t...@googlegroups.com
rebuild MBR

Josh Hannegan

Sep 28, 2012, 6:00:06 AM9/28/12
to computer-t...@googlegroups.com
The drive only has one big partition. If I install linux, woudl it
everwrite everything on the the drive?

How can I rebuild the MBR?

On 9/28/12, Stefan Zeng <bings...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *rebuild* MBR

Stefan Zeng

Sep 28, 2012, 8:13:54 AM9/28/12
to computer-t...@googlegroups.com
http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/rebuild-mbr.html

Please Google everything you want to know.

Nhel Puspus

Oct 11, 2012, 8:25:57 AM10/11/12
to computer-t...@googlegroups.com
> gud morning,,, maybe its done, buy new one better,,,

KwikOne

Oct 27, 2012, 9:31:15 PM10/27/12
to computer-t...@googlegroups.com
google for "disktest.exe" - this utility program will help you with determining whether or not your drive is due for the junk heap. It will repair the MBR (master boot record - is required regardless of whether a drive is bootable or not) and will also repair the MFT (master file table) as long as the mft and it's mirror are not both bad. You can also use it to copy files off of a bad drive.