[Computer-go] GCP passing on the staff ...

"Ingo Althöfer"

Jan 28, 2019, 4:31:25 PM1/28/19
to compu...@computer-go.org
Hello,

a central quote from the Leela Github blog at
https://github.com/gcp/leela-zero/issues/2157

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:
>> So, practically, I'll keep the current 256x40 running as
>> is, which probably has a (few?) month(s) to go with a last
>> learning rate drop or playout increase, at least, but for
>> the next leap ahead someone else (person or team) will have
>> to step up and do the necessary work:

So, we are standing at a fork.
How will the Leela Zero project proceed?
Who is willing to take central positions in that process?

Many thanks to Gian-Carlo for putting so much energy into
the project! And many thanks to his wife and family for
accepting his dedication to computer go and computer chess!
It has helped our scene so much.

Ingo.

Petri Pitkanen

Jan 29, 2019, 5:24:32 AM1/29/19
to computer-go
Just purely curiosity: How strong is Leela now? googling up gives that it is better than best humasn already? Is that true?

Petri

Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Jan 29, 2019, 11:15:56 AM1/29/19
to compu...@computer-go.org
On 29/01/19 11:23, Petri Pitkanen wrote:
> Just purely curiosity: How strong is Leela now? googling up gives that
> it is better than best humasn already? Is that true?

The network is over 100 Elo stronger than the second generation of ELF,
which was about 100 Elo stronger than the first generation, which
defeated a set of Korean top professional players 14-0.

Differences in implementation speed will shift the strength difference
around a bit, but not enough to change the conclusion that it's likely a
lot better than the best humans now.

I hear rumors it's not 100% undefeatable, and that with some trial and
error you can occasionally still find a weaknesses to pounce on.

It is used by professionals for analysis, e.g.:
https://lifein19x19.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16074

--
GCP

uurtamo

Jan 29, 2019, 12:57:28 PM1/29/19
to computer-go
so aside from the rumors, i've watched games that are simply mind-blowing.

it's, from what i've seen, about an insane need to keep sente. my only takeaway other than reading out fights way way way in advance.

s.

Robert Jasiek

Jan 29, 2019, 11:06:44 PM1/29/19
to compu...@computer-go.org
On 29.01.2019 18:53, uurtamo wrote:
> it's [...] about an insane need to keep sente. my only

> takeaway other than reading out fights way way way in advance.

I can confirm the necessity for keeping sente with respect for the
endgame but would not be surprised it to also apply during opening and
middle game. One of the greatest weaknesses of my pupils in the kyus is
not to play all their sentes (other than privileges preserved for ko
threats or liberties) before gotes. From my study, research of and book
writing on the endgame during the previous 2.5 years, I have realised
the importance of distinguishing gote from sente even if their
difference is only a fraction of a point (but it can be up to ca. 5
points per local decision) and of exceptionally playing gote instead of
sente or vice versa depending on the global context. Every small mistake
in evaluation about playing too long locally etc. amounts to a large
total amount when all mistakes accumulate. Programs would notice such
implicitly due to their smaller winning chances when making too many
such mistakes.

Reading out fights in advance very deeply I have only noticed a few
times during programs' play but, of course, you are right. I simply have
not studied their deep reading carefully enough to witness more incidents.

--
robert jasiek

uurtamo

Jan 30, 2019, 12:24:04 AM1/30/19
to computer-go
They will abandon a fight to take bigger sente. It's super scary to watch.

s.

Igor Polyakov

Jan 30, 2019, 5:25:38 PM1/30/19
to compu...@computer-go.org
I saw a game where it decided connecting its group wasn't important since it could still make the cut off side sabaki later

Approaches corner, decides it's ahead, lives later

It doesn't care about keeping groups strong as much

uurtamo

Jan 30, 2019, 9:31:19 PM1/30/19
to computer-go
That's a nice way to describe it.

What I've seen is that mid-fight it will just play elsewhere. Like hard mid fight. Middle of the fight just walk away