Re: [Computer-go] Computer-go Digest, Vol 18, Issue 29

Hendrik Baier

Jul 11, 2011, 5:47:13 PM7/11/11
to compu...@dvandva.org
>On 19x19, Many Faces has books. A full board opening book made from strong
>player games is a hash of all positions (rotation/refection invariant). It
>keeps statistics of player strength and win rate, and is only used to bias
>the search, not to choose a move quickly.

That's what I re-invented recently, and I combined it with a joseki book made from strong player games as well. Both books just recommend a bunch of moves, the appropriate choice is left to the search algorithm. Because I don't return a move instantly without search, I call it "active book application".

So far (without any kind of parameter tuning or manual changes to the book) it increased Orego's win rate against GNUGo by 4-5 percent, with 10 seconds per move. I wonder if the effect would be stronger or weaker for a stronger program - it's more difficult to improve a stronger program of course, but it might also understand some of the openings better and make better use of them.

A clean, hand-coded book of joseki might be very strong in this framework, but I don't have the time.

Thanks everybody for your answers. I might post a short paper about this soon if people are interested.

Brian Sheppard

Jul 11, 2011, 5:50:11 PM7/11/11
to compu...@dvandva.org
I am very interested in reading a detailed description of your results.

Aja

Jul 12, 2011, 12:30:39 AM7/12/11
to Hendrik Baier, compu...@dvandva.org
Hi Hendrik,

I am interested and looking forward to read your paper about the
"opening+joseki book".

Aja