X11 Release 6.1 is now available

Matt Landau

Mar 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/14/96
to xann...@x.org
The X Consortium is pleased to announce the immediate availability of a
new release of the X Window System.

Release 6.1 of the X Window System, Version 11, will be made available
world wide starting Thursday, March 14, 1996 at 1:00pm EST (18:00 GMT).
The distribution sites are listed at the end of this message. PLEASE
use a site that is close to you in the network.

The X Consortium would like to thank all of the sites world wide that are
participating in the release of the software.

** OBTAINING THE X WINDOW SYSTEM

Thank you for your interest in the X WINDOW SYSTEM, Version 11, Release 6.1.
The software in this release is not in the public domain, but is freely
available. Vendors are actively encouraged to base products on this
software and on the standards defined by the X Consortium.

Sites that have network file transfer ability can retrieve the release from
the network location nearest them listed further below.

** WHAT'S NEW IN RELEASE 6.1

X11 Release 6.1 is an update to X11 Release 6. It is compatible with R6
at the source and protocol levels in all respects, and binaries are
upward-compatible.

Here are some highlights of what's new in Release 6.1; this list is by no
means exhaustive. For complete details, refer to the R6.1 Release Notes.

* Support for newer operating system versions on a number of platforms.

* Support for threads on more platforms.

* New X Consortium standards:

XKEYBOARD (XKB)
RECORD
DOUBLE-BUFFER (DBE)
ICE X Rendezvous

* Configuration and build improvements:

BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS required on fewer platforms
Imake support for Atria clearmake
Better imake documentation and hints on writing Imakefiles

* Bug fixes and enhancements to many programs and libraries

** ABOUT THE X CONSORTIUM

X Consortium, Inc. is a not for profit membership corporation whose primary
purpose is to develop, evolve and maintain the X Window System, and to
perform other related research and experimentation in, and implementation
of, open systems standards and technology. The offices of the X Consortium
are at 201 Broadway, Cambridge MA 02142. URL: <http://www.x.org/>.

** FTP SITES PROVIDING RELEASE 6.1

North America anonymous FTP:

Location Address Directory
-------- ------- ---------
Cambridge, MA ftp.crl.research.digital.com /pub/X11/R6.1
Eastern USA [192.58.206.2]

Cambridge, MA ftp.x.org /pub/R6.1
Eastern USA [198.112.44.100]

New York City ftp.cs.columbia.edu /archives/X11R6.1
Eastern USA [multi-homed]

North Carolina ftp.duke.edu /pub/X11/R6.1
Eastern USA [152.3.233.7]

Washington, DC ftp.digex.net /pub/X
Eastern USA [204.91.197.227]

Minneapolis, MN ftp.cs.umn.edu /packages/X11/R6.1
Central USA [160.94.227.144]

West Lafayette, IN ftp.cs.purdue.edu /pub/X11/R6.1
Central USA [128.10.2.1]

Palo Alto, California ftp.digital.com /pub/X11/R6.1
Western USA [204.123.2.4]

Albuquerque, NM ftp.khoros.unm.edu /pub/dist/X/X11R6.1
Southwest USA [198.59.155.28]

British Columbia ftp.cs.ubc.ca /mirror1/R6.1
Canada [142.103.6.6]

Europe anonymous FTP:

Location Address Directory
-------- ------- ---------
Czech Republic ftp.eunet.cz /pub/X11/R6.1
[193.85.1.11]

England sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk /packages/X11R6.1
[193.63.254.1]

Europe ftp.eu.net /X11/R6.1
[192.16.202.2]

Finland ftp.eunet.fi /pub/X11/R6.1
[193.66.1.8]

Finland ftp.funet.fi /pub/X11/R6.1
[128.214.248.6]

France ftp.univ-lille1.fr /pub/X/R6.1
[134.206.1.36]

Germany ftp.gwdg.de /pub/x11/x.org
[134.76.12.1]

Germany ftp.rz.uni-wuerzburg.de /pub/X11/R6.1
[132.187.3.2]

Germany ftp.uni-paderborn.de /pub/X11/R6.1
[131.234.22.32] and [131.234.2.41]

Iceland ftp.isnet.is /pub/X11/R6.1
[193.4.58.51]

Ireland ftp.ieunet.ie /pub/X11R6.1
[192.111.39.1]

Norway ftp.eunet.no /pub/X11/R6.1
[193.71.1.5]

Norway ftp.unit.no /pub/X11/R6.1
[129.241.1.97]

Poland sunsite.icm.edu.pl /pub/X11/R6.1
[148.81.209.3]

Portugal ftp.puug.pt /pub/X11/R6.1
[193.126.4.70]

Spain asterix.fi.upm.es /pub/X11/R6.1
[138.100.8.6]

Sweden ftp.sunet.se /pub/X11/R6.1
[130.238.127.3]

Switzerland ftp.switch.ch * /mirror/X11/R6.1
[130.59.1.40]
*only available for Swiss organizations with a SWITCH
service contract and foreign education & research
organizations

United Kingdom ftp.mcc.ac.uk /pub/misc-unix/X11R6.1
[130.88.203.12]

East Asia anonymous FTP:

Location Address Directory
-------- ------- ---------
Hong Kong ftp.cs.cuhk.edu.hk /pub/X11R6.1
[137.189.4.110]

Japan sunsite.sut.ac.jp /pub/archives/X11/R6.1
[133.31.180.200]

Africa anonymous FTP:

Location Address Directory
-------- ------- ---------
South Africa ftp.is.co.za /x/pub/R6.1

Middle East anonymous FTP:

Location Address Directory
-------- ------- ---------
Israel ftp.huji.ac.il /mirror/X11/R6.1
[132.65.16.10]

X Window System is a trademark of X Consortium, Inc.

Matt Landau

Mar 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/18/96
In <DoDqE...@encore.com> t...@encore.com (Thanh Ma) writes:
>>* Support for newer operating system versions on a number of platforms.

>One of these is NT-3.5. Anyone knows of a site that has an NT binary ?
>Neither R6.1 Release Notes nor XFree86's Release Notes mentioned a site that
>has an NT X server for download.

The X server doesn't build under NT in any case. The Release Notes are
quite clear that what builds under NT are the libraries and most of the
clients (except for a few like xdm and xterm that involve figuring out
how to do login under NT).

Randy Chapman

Mar 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/20/96
Matt Landau (ma...@x.org) wrote:
: In <DoDqE...@encore.com> t...@encore.com (Thanh Ma) writes:
: >>* Support for newer operating system versions on a number of platforms.

: >One of these is NT-3.5. Anyone knows of a site that has an NT binary ?

: >Neither R6.1 Release Notes nor XFree86's Release Notes mentioned a site that
: >has an NT X server for download.

: The X server doesn't build under NT in any case. The Release Notes are
: quite clear that what builds under NT are the libraries and most of the
: clients (except for a few like xdm and xterm that involve figuring out
: how to do login under NT).

Login under NT looks to be pretty painless. I might implement xdm if thats
the only problem.

However, xterm is a bit trickier. NT's console handling is not at all like
the pty's in unix. Its an interesting problem. One really needs a new
application (perhaps based on xterm or on rxvt) that deals with NT's console
properly. That, however, is no good for the times you really do need
vt100 emulation. Usually that would be telnet and rsh. Not sure
how that could be handled.

--randy