OT: bbx on linux

Karel Adams

Feb 9, 2002, 3:51:42 AM2/9/02
Dear all,

I have got my SCO BBx4 to run on a Linux box (Suse 6.3)
After some fidgeting with iBCS it now works fine on the console.
However I cannot get it run on telnet sessions: i've tried a myriad
alias lines in config.bbx but to no avail, the telnet session always
comes up with IO as fid(0) instead of TA, TB &C.
Who knows the trick?

Of course I know that this group is not the right place for this
question but I have a strong suspicion I am not the first here
to run into this problem. What group would have been better suited?

TIA,
Karel Adams

Pat Welch

Feb 9, 2002, 5:32:00 AM2/9/02

You want news.basis.com for BBx questions.

But, what is the value of TERM for those telnet sessions?

And what is the contents of config.bbx in your BBx directory?

Caldera Authorized Partner
(209) 745-1401 Fax: (413) 714-2833
Nationwide pager: (800) 608-7122
E-mail: pat...@inreach.com

rollee

Feb 9, 2002, 8:20:37 AM2/9/02
Pat Welch wrote:

> Karel Adams wrote:
> > I have got my SCO BBx4 to run on a Linux box

> You want news.basis.com for BBx questions.

Ok, I'll bite. My curiosity has got to me. What is SCO BBX?

Karel Adams

Feb 9, 2002, 1:59:04 PM2/9/02

"rollee" <rol...@genesis1st.com> schreef in bericht news:3C652225...@genesis1st.com...

(snip)

> Ok, I'll bite. My curiosity has got to me. What is SCO BBX?

Obviously, the release of BBx that will run on an SCO platform.

No end to your curiosity? Well OK, I'll pay the price for launching an OT question...

(lean back on my ease
((light pipe
(((lurk sip of brandy

I cannot claim to know the whole story in all detail, but AFAIK it all started with
a company called MAI who offered, somewhere in the paleotical 1970's or so,
a complete platform of server + 2 character terminals + 1 dot matrix impact printer
+ system software at a price that was terribly low at that time and would be considered
terribly high today. In those days resources were expensive so the system software
had to make use of them very carefully - the system software consisted of the OS,
intermixed with an interpreter for 'Business Basic'.

(skipping a few pages in grandpa's story book)

BBx stands for Business Basic Extended and is, as the name says,
a contemporary implementation of the same Basic, with due extensions
like GUI, windowing, underlying database, &C &C.
It is marketed (and, I presume, also produced) by a company called Basis Inc.
(of Albuquerque, NM, I believe).
It is available for Winblows and quite a range of Unixen,
and maybe other OS's (MAC? VMS? OS390?)

KA from Europe

Brian K. White

Feb 10, 2002, 1:10:36 PM2/10/02

"Karel Adams" <k_a...@glo.be> wrote in message

here is my BBx3 basic start script as well as my similar start script for
the application Prosper, which replaces and looks nothing liek the one that
came with the app. It's 10 times as functional and 1/10th as big. :)
it works for unlimited telnet and xterm connections (any ptty type
connections that is, ssh, facetwin...)

http://www.aljex.com/bkw/bbx/index.html

I just looked this over, and I think I actually have a little better bbasic,
xbbasic, prosper, and xprosper on my laptop running on kernel 2.4.6
If I update any of the file on this page later today, I'll post another

Brian K. White -- br...@aljex.com -- http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
filePro BBx Linux SCO Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD #callahans Satriani

Karel Adams

Feb 15, 2002, 12:05:59 PM2/15/02

"Karel Adams" <k_a...@glo.be> schreef in bericht news:_q598.980$X47.4...@iguano.antw.online.be...

> Dear all,
>
> I have got my SCO BBx4 to run on a Linux box (Suse 6.3)
> After some fidgeting with iBCS it now works fine on the console.
> However I cannot get it run on telnet sessions: i've tried a myriad
> alias lines in config.bbx but to no avail, the telnet session always
> comes up with IO as fid(0) instead of TA, TB &C.
> Who knows the trick?

<Excerpt from a BBx manual>
"On invocation, BBx will first attempt to determine if it is attached to a terminal"
</excerpt>
Meseemeth the problem is here.
It was solved with a BBTERM= statement before invocation.
Thanks to all who responded!

KA

joe

Mar 6, 2002, 3:30:45 PM3/6/02
"Karel Adams" <k_a...@glo.be> wrote in message news:<Ake98.989$X47.4...@iguano.antw.online.be>...

IN THE .bash_profile export BBTERM=Ta or something and then
have a line in config.bbx which matches this.

lol Joe Melotik

Brian K. White

Mar 17, 2002, 3:30:24 PM3/17/02
> I have got my SCO BBx4 to run on a Linux box (Suse 6.3)
> After some fidgeting with iBCS it now works fine on the console.
> However I cannot get it run on telnet sessions: i've tried a myriad
> alias lines in config.bbx but to no avail, the telnet session always
> comes up with IO as fid(0) instead of TA, TB &C.
> Who knows the trick?
>
> Of course I know that this group is not the right place for this
> question but I have a strong suspicion I am not the first here
> to run into this problem. What group would have been better suited?

http://www.aljex.com/bkw/bbx/

Darryl Krasman

Mar 17, 2002, 4:02:36 PM3/17/02
> > I have got my SCO BBx4 to run on a Linux box (Suse 6.3)
> > After some fidgeting with iBCS it now works fine on the console.

Why fiddle with iBCS when you can get an actual port of PRO/5 for Linux
from Basis? I haven't tried BBx4 or PRO/5 on iBCS (nor would I suggest
that to a client) but if I were you I'd be damn sure that record locking
is working correctly.
--
Darryl Krasman
Ideal Computer Group Inc.