Lexmark Optra on OS 5.0.6

Joe DeBiso

Mar 4, 2002, 11:58:41 AM3/4/02
We have a client who has several Lexmark Optra S1625 & S2455 printers in
their TCP/IP network. When we print large print jobs (100 pages or more) we
sometime loose characters or entire pages. Has anyone every experienced
this? Any suggestions?? Lexmark says there is nothing wrong with the
printers. I can take the same output file and send it to HP Laser printers
with no problem. Replacing the printers at the client location is not an
option.

THANX!!

--
Joe DeBiso
Technical Implementation Manager

-----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! ==-----

Bill Campbell

Mar 4, 2002, 12:38:34 PM3/4/02
to Sco Mailing List
On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 11:58:41AM -0500, Joe DeBiso wrote:
>We have a client who has several Lexmark Optra S1625 & S2455 printers in
>their TCP/IP network. When we print large print jobs (100 pages or more) we
>sometime loose characters or entire pages. Has anyone every experienced
>this? Any suggestions?? Lexmark says there is nothing wrong with the
>printers. I can take the same output file and send it to HP Laser printers
>with no problem. Replacing the printers at the client location is not an
>option.

How are you printing to them, direct, or through the LAN?

We've been using the LexMark Optra S series printers for years using the
network interface, and have never had problems. When I first did this in
the early '90s, I wrote an interface script that uses the ftp interface to
the Lexmark printers, and still use it today (if it ain't broke, don't fix
it :-). You should also be able to use the lpd interface.

Bill
--
INTERNET: bi...@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

``UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that
would also stop you from doing clever things.'' -- Doug Gwyn

Joe DeBiso

Mar 4, 2002, 1:02:04 PM3/4/02
We are printing directly via LPD.

Joe

"Bill Campbell" <bi...@celestial.com> wrote in message

Mike Brown

Mar 4, 2002, 5:40:06 PM3/4/02

I have found the Lexmark's to work with UNIX, so there must be
something going on with your setup.

When a print job misses a page, try reprinting it to see if it is
consistent. There are some differences between PDL versions.

I am running the marknet version 4.3 on OSR 5.0.6a with lexmarks 1250
and have noticed no problems.

Mike

--
Michael Brown

The Kingsway Group

D . Thomas Podnar

Mar 4, 2002, 7:59:06 PM3/4/02
to Joe DeBiso, sco...@xenitec.on.ca
On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 11:58:41AM -0500, Joe DeBiso wrote:
> We have a client who has several Lexmark Optra S1625 & S2455 printers in
> their TCP/IP network. When we print large print jobs (100 pages or more) we
> sometime loose characters or entire pages. Has anyone every experienced
> this? Any suggestions?? Lexmark says there is nothing wrong with the
> printers. I can take the same output file and send it to HP Laser printers
> with no problem. Replacing the printers at the client location is not an
> option.
>
> THANX!!
>
> --
> Joe DeBiso
> Technical Implementation Manager
> Plantrol Systems, Ltd.
> 716-326-4900

I mentioned this once for someone else back on 08-28-2000, but they never
let me know if it worked for them.

All of our printing, including everything form our Windows PCs, is spooled
to our OpenServer 5.0.5 box and then printed to a variety of printers,
including three Lexmark multi-bin printers.

All worked fine on the older models, but when we added an Se 3455 we
experienced exactly the same problems you described in a previous message.

Our solution was a little simpler, and just worked immediately.

Try this:

Telnet into the printer on port 9000.

telnet printername 9000

Record the current MTU value.

Set the MTU value to 1024.

Exit and reset the printer.

Do not ask me WHY it works with OpenServer 5.0.5 LPD/LPR.

It just DOES.

Let me know if it works for you.

--
Best Regards,
Tom

Brian K. White

Mar 4, 2002, 10:15:23 PM3/4/02

"Joe DeBiso" <j...@plantrol.com> wrote in message

> We are printing directly via LPD.

heh :)
you might as well have just said "the white sky is black"

--
Brian K. White -- br...@aljex.com -- http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
filePro BBx Linux SCO Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD #callahans Satriani