server listening to udp 488

lno...@noblesys.com

Mar 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/16/99
I have a SCO box that has a udp socket open on udp port 488.

Can anyone confirm that is the ifor_pmd SCO license server listening there?

I'm trying to harden the box for access reasons.

Thanks, in advance for any info.
Lars.

Roberto Zini

Mar 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/16/99
to lno...@noblesys.com
lno...@noblesys.com wrote:

> I have a SCO box that has a udp socket open on udp port 488.
>
> Can anyone confirm that is the ifor_pmd SCO license server listening there?

On my system (SCO OS 5.0.5), UDP port 488 is used by the sco_cpd
program.
Grab lsof off the 'Net (ftp://vic.cc.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof) and
dig your system to confirm the above.

Hope this helps !

Best,
Roberto

--
P.S. = Please remove the ending "dy" from my Email address
if you want to reply.

Roberto Zini email : fre...@strhold.it
Strhold Sistemi EDP
Reggio Emilia ITALY
"Has anybody around here seen an aircraft carrier?"
(Pete "Maverick" Mitchell - Top Gun)

Kevin Smith

Mar 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/19/99
In article <36EE1B53...@strhold.it> Roberto Zini <fre...@strhold.it> writes:
>lno...@noblesys.com wrote:
>>
>> I have a SCO box that has a udp socket open on udp port 488.
>>
>> Can anyone confirm that is the ifor_pmd SCO license server listening there?
>
>On my system (SCO OS 5.0.5), UDP port 488 is used by the sco_cpd
>program.
>Grab lsof off the 'Net (ftp://vic.cc.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof) and
>dig your system to confirm the above.

sco_cpd is the part of the licensing system that checks other systems
on the network for duplicate licenses and must be running and it does
so on port 488.

I've currently got it externally blocked in my pppfilter because it
was bringing up all my dynamic outgoing lines simultaniously once a
day.

I don't know of any security issues related to it but I suppose someone
knowledgeable could gather (maybe useless) license info via the port.
--
Do two rights make | Kevin Smith, ShadeTree Software, Philadelpha, PA, USA
a libertarian | 001-215-487-3811 shady.com,kevin bbs.cpcn.com,sysop

Jeff Liebermann

Mar 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/21/99
On 19 Mar 1999 13:03:26 -0500, kbs=cu...@shady.com (Kevin Smith) wrote:

>sco_cpd is the part of the licensing system that checks other systems
>on the network for duplicate licenses and must be running and it does
>so on port 488.

From the sacred list of well know port numbers at:
http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/port-numbers
Port 488 is suppose to be:

gss-http 488/tcp gss-http
gss-http 488/udp gss-http
# Doug Rosenthal <rose...@krypton.einet.net>

I guess now that Jon Postel is dead, port numbers are a free for all?

For the curious, SCO owns:
#
scoi2odialog 360/tcp scoi2odialog
scoi2odialog 360/udp scoi2odialog
# Keith Petley <kei...@sco.COM>
scohelp 457/tcp scohelp
scohelp 457/udp scohelp
# Faith Zack <fai...@sco.com>
sco-websrvrmg3 598/tcp SCO Web Server Manager 3
sco-websrvrmg3 598/udp SCO Web Server Manager 3
# Simon Baldwin <sim...@sco.com>
sco-inetmgr 615/tcp Internet Configuration Manager
sco-inetmgr 615/udp Internet Configuration Manager
sco-sysmgr 616/tcp SCO System Administration Server
sco-sysmgr 616/udp SCO System Administration Server
sco-dtmgr 617/tcp SCO Desktop Administration Server
sco-dtmgr 617/udp SCO Desktop Administration Server
# Christopher Durham <chr...@sco.com>
sco-websrvrmgr 620/tcp SCO WebServer Manager
sco-websrvrmgr 620/udp SCO WebServer Manager
# Christopher Durham <chr...@sco.com>
tarantella 3144/tcp Tarantella
tarantella 3144/udp Tarantella
# Roger Binns <rog...@sco.com>
sco-aip 5307/tcp SCO AIP
sco-aip 5307/udp SCO AIP
# Barrie Cooper <bar...@sco.com>

--
Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
(831)421-6491 pgr (831)426-1240 fax (831)336-2558 home