Rare Error 65 (ENOPKG) occurrence on open() call

Apolon

Sep 27, 2003, 6:22:35 AM9/27/03
Does anyone know what the meaning of errno=65 (ENOPKG) is when an
open() call fails on SCO Open Server 5.0.6? That error code doesn't
appear in the open function man pages.

The error occurs very rarely (say once a month) in a process that runs
continuously closing/opening/creating/moving files around once every 2
hours. The open is performed directly after a system() call which
copies a file to another location. A system( "cp ..." ) call is being
used instead of the rename() function call because of the limitation
with not being able to rename across filesystems.

Thanks for any help,
Apolon.

Jean-Pierre Radley

Sep 27, 2003, 11:25:18 AM9/27/03
Apolon typed (on Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 03:22:35AM -0700):

The Intro(S) man page describes it:

[ENOPKG] (65) Package not installed
This error occurs when users attempt to use a system call
from a package which has not been installed.

--
JP

Apolon

Sep 27, 2003, 10:27:50 PM9/27/03
Jean-Pierre Radley <j...@jpr.com> wrote in message news:<2003092715...@jpradley.jpr.com>...

> The Intro(S) man page describes it:
>
> [ENOPKG] (65) Package not installed
> This error occurs when users attempt to use a system call
> from a package which has not been installed.

Yep, but if the error truly was related to the description provided
for ENOPKG then it would occur every time instead of very rarely.
Also, the man page for open() does not list ENOPKG as one of the
documented error scenarios.

It appears that some code being called within the open()
implementation on Open Server can result in an error 65. I was hoping
someone else had experienced the problem and knows what it is, or has
access to source code which indicates what scenario such an error code
could be returned in.

Bela Lubkin

Sep 28, 2003, 1:46:56 AM9/28/03
Apolon wrote:

> Does anyone know what the meaning of errno=65 (ENOPKG) is when an
> open() call fails on SCO Open Server 5.0.6? That error code doesn't
> appear in the open function man pages.
>
> The error occurs very rarely (say once a month) in a process that runs
> continuously closing/opening/creating/moving files around once every 2
> hours. The open is performed directly after a system() call which
> copies a file to another location. A system( "cp ..." ) call is being
> used instead of the rename() function call because of the limitation
> with not being able to rename across filesystems.

> [...] if the error truly was related to the description provided

> for ENOPKG then it would occur every time instead of very rarely.
> Also, the man page for open() does not list ENOPKG as one of the
> documented error scenarios.
>
> It appears that some code being called within the open()
> implementation on Open Server can result in an error 65. I was hoping
> someone else had experienced the problem and knows what it is, or has
> access to source code which indicates what scenario such an error code
> could be returned in.

Show us the actual source code that generates this error; at the very
least, the code that calls system(), the open() call, and the subsequent
error checking that's turning up the ENOPKG. (And this would fit better
on comp.unix.sco.programmer...)

>Bela<

Apolon

Sep 29, 2003, 9:17:46 PM9/29/03
> Show us the actual source code that generates this error; at the very
> least, the code that calls system(), the open() call, and the subsequent
> error checking that's turning up the ENOPKG. (And this would fit better
> on comp.unix.sco.programmer...)
>
> >Bela<

Okay, will do on both counts.
Apolon.