Merge 4.11e and OS 5.04

Robert E. Laughlin

Mar 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/11/99
Hello;

I have OS 5.04 on my machine. Yesterday I downloaded Merge 4.11e
and installed it. With two exceptions every thing works right. The first
and only realy important one is that I can not access A:. The second one
is that Start->Shutdown hangs with a dark screen. The screens not black,
just dark. It will not exit unless I click on the window->exit menue.

The exit problem I can live with. The first I can not. I
reloaded Merge 4.02 and every thing works correctly, except for the No
License error message. I can live with that if I have to. I would rather
upgrade, if the access to a: can be fixed. Does any one have some ideas?

Bob

"The wonderful thing about experience is that it calibrates your skepticism,
and the wonderful thing about lack of experience is that it gives you design
freedom." Daniel E. Geer, Jr.

Robert E. Laughlin SPAWARSYSCEN SD D4122
These opinions are mine. I do not speak for SPAWARSYSCEN SD.
email b...@spawar.navy.mil Public Key ID = AE8294B9
Key fingerprint = 8747 FC71 49C7 59D0 74F8 CC2B E1D8 8AFB AE82 94B9

ar...@azalea.cs.jmu.edu

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
Robert E. Laughlin <b...@spawar.navy.mil> wrote:
: I have OS 5.04 on my machine. Yesterday I downloaded Merge 4.11e

: and installed it. With two exceptions every thing works right. The first
: and only realy important one is that I can not access A:. The second one

Where did you download merge 4.11e from? I have not been able to find
it on SCO's web page or at their ftp site.

--
Arch
| Dr. J. Archer Harris Dept of Computer Science |

Jean-Pierre Radley

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
ar...@azalea.cs.jmu.edu averred (on Fri, Mar 12, 1999 at 02:01:41PM +0000):

| Robert E. Laughlin <b...@spawar.navy.mil> wrote:
| : I have OS 5.04 on my machine. Yesterday I downloaded Merge 4.11e
| : and installed it. With two exceptions every thing works right. The first
| : and only realy important one is that I can not access A:. The second one
|
| Where did you download merge 4.11e from? I have not been able to find
| it on SCO's web page or at their ftp site.

Unless that's a typo. So far as I know, www.sco.com still only offers
4.1.1d.

--
Jean-Pierre Radley <j...@jpr.com> XC/XT Custodian Sysop, CompuServe SCOForum

John Temples

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
In article <1999031210...@jpradley.jpr.com>,

Jean-Pierre Radley <j...@jpr.com> wrote:
>Unless that's a typo. So far as I know, www.sco.com still only offers
>4.1.1d.

"custom" shows mine as 4.1.1e. And I also have the floppy access
problem.
--
John W. Temples, III

Robert E. Laughlin

Mar 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/15/99
to David Peet
Hi David;

Thank you for this message. I reinstalled Merge 4.11e and ran
/usr/lib/merge/bin/upgrade_flop.sh. This did not fix the floppy problem.
I made the changes to /etc/default/merge and to
/etc/conf/pack.d/merge/space.c and relinked the kernel. After rebooting
merge 4.11e works correctly, both accessing the floppy and shutting down.
Now I do not have the pmd problem and the floppy works and it will
shutdown, great.

Thanks Bob

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, David Peet wrote:

> [...]
> > I have OS 5.04 on my machine. Yesterday I downloaded Merge 4.11e
> > and installed it. With two exceptions every thing works right. The first
> > and only realy important one is that I can not access A:. The second one

> > is that Start->Shutdown hangs with a dark screen. The screens not black,
> > just dark. It will not exit unless I click on the window->exit menue.
> >
> > The exit problem I can live with. The first I can not. I
> > reloaded Merge 4.02 and every thing works correctly, except for the No
> > License error message. I can live with that if I have to. I would rather
> > upgrade, if the access to a: can be fixed. Does any one have some ideas?
> >
> > Bob
>

> New to Merge 4.1.1 for OpenServer, the floppy is now accessed in the same
> way as it is on Merge for Unixware (via the UNIX floppy driver)
> instead of "direct attached" as it had been done. This change is
> because on faster machines the direct attach of the floppy often
> has problems because of timing.
>
> (Note: The released version of Merge 4.1.1 is cycle e. If you have
> cycle d, then you have a beta and you should really be using the
> final released version. See my page http://www.lainet.com/~peet/Merge/
> for links to where you can download it from SCO.)
>
> For a Win95 that was installed when direct attach floppy was being
> used, the registry needs to be updated so that Windows can use
> the new accesss method.
>
> The problem is that Merge is supposed to update your existing Windows
> registry when you upgrade to 4.1.1, and this update must have failed
> insome way.
> (Any new installation of Windows after the upgrade will not have
> the problem. It is only an issue of changing the hardware setup
> for an existing Windows installation.)
>
> What is supposed to happen is that the program
> /usr/lib/merge/bin/upgrade_flop.sh
> is supposed to be run the first time you use Merge after upgrading.
> This is supposed to update the registry.
>
> Either this did not get run automatically or it failed someway.
> You can retry this by running it. Just running it (with no
> parameters) will upgrade your regular Windows installation as
> specified by your "win" personal configuration. If you have other
> personal windows95 configurations, you need to run this script for
> each one, using as a parameter the name of the configuration.
>
> If this does not work you have two choices:
> 1: Reinstall Windows so the new installation will work with
> the new floppy access method.
> 2: Change Merge to use direct attach floppy access so
> old installations of Windows will work as is.
>
> o Change the MERGE_DIRECT_FLOPPY_ENABLE switch in
> /etc/default/merge from off to on.
> o Edit /etc/conf/pack.d/merge/space.c and change
> the value of _M_direct_attach_floppy from 0 to 1
> and rebuild a kernel (/etc/conf/cf.d/link_unix -y)
> and then reboot.
>
> -- David Peet
> -- (If you want to sent me email, refer to my

David Peet

Mar 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/15/99
to Robert E. Laughlin, Archer Harris, Jean-Pierre Radley, John Temples

John Temples

Mar 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/15/99
In article <Pine.SC5.4.10.99031...@belunix.spawar.navy.mil>,

Robert E. Laughlin <b...@spawar.navy.mil> wrote:
> Thank you for this message. I reinstalled Merge 4.11e and ran
>/usr/lib/merge/bin/upgrade_flop.sh. This did not fix the floppy problem.
>I made the changes to /etc/default/merge and to
>/etc/conf/pack.d/merge/space.c and relinked the kernel. After rebooting
>merge 4.11e works correctly, both accessing the floppy and shutting down.

Ditto for me. Thanks David.