Amiga Unix & Viper Tape Drive

Steve Paul

Feb 27, 1995, 1:42:32 AM2/27/95
Hello all:

Does anyone know what is needed to get Amiga Unix to install with a
Viper DC2150 QIC-150 compat. tape drive? I'm using a stock
A3000, 8MB/2MB CHIP, and a Viper Tape Drive (ID#1) and a Fujitsu
540 MB SCSI DRIVE (ID#6)... The install finds both devices when installing
and I can partition the hard drive, but it times out on the tape!
(Actually the tape doesn't even appear to 'hit'). It just keeps asking
to 'Insert Amiga Unix Tape and press Enter'...

Any hints, suggestions, etc??

Also, as a side note: Has anyone used Amiga Unix with OS3.1 ??
I put the OS2.04 ROMS back in for this purpose to help alleviate
any possible head-aches, but is Amiga Unix OS3.1 compat. ???

Any help would be *greatly* appreciated! Thanks!

xeg...@shell.portal.com

GCooper666

Feb 27, 1995, 11:03:30 AM2/27/95
Use control D to interrupt the startup script at the first prompt ( where
you are asked to choose a keyboard ), type "viper_kludge go", the kernal
patches and you then press control D again to resume the installation
script. I have run Amiga UNIX of an A3000T with ADOS 3.1 with no problems.

Jeff Stanford

Mar 1, 1995, 10:45:39 AM3/1/95
In article <jpstanford-28...@130.181.9.242>,
jpsta...@space.honeywell.com (Jeff Stanford) wrote:

> In article <3irs8o$b...@news1.shell>, xeg...@shell.portal.com (Steve

> I believe the tape is expected to be SCSI unit 3 or 4 by AmiUnix, I forget
> which at the moment. Try changing the id number on your tape drive.

Followup:

The following references come from 'Amiga Unis Version 2.1 - Addendum'
document:

page 4:

'The Caliper, Sankyo and Wangtek brands of SCSI QIC-150 tape drives are
known to work. The tape must be set to SCSI address 4.'

page 9:

'Drivers written by Frank Edwards for the Archive Viper tape unit are
now include with Amiga Unix. Type Ctrl-D at the first prompt of the
installation procedure. Type "viper_kludge". Then type Ctrl-D to
resume the installation'

--
Jeff Stanford Don't even think these words
come from my employer, cause

Jeff Stanford

Feb 28, 1995, 3:51:47 PM2/28/95
In article <3irs8o$b...@news1.shell>, xeg...@shell.portal.com (Steve Paul) wrote:

I believe the tape is expected to be SCSI unit 3 or 4 by AmiUnix, I forget
which at the moment. Try changing the id number on your tape drive.

I'll look it up and reply if otherwise.

Good luck,
Jeff

Steve Paul

Mar 3, 1995, 3:31:54 PM3/3/95
Thanks to all that replied and mailed!

The viper kludge works! Now if the future owners of C= will
support this system, I'd *love* to see a 68040 version!!!! (OpenLook
can use the extra horsepower!)

Thanks again!
xeg...@shell.portal.com

John R Clark

Mar 6, 1995, 3:32:01 AM3/6/95
Steve Paul (xeg...@shell.portal.com) scribbled:
: Thanks to all that replied and mailed!

now for another question for all you knowledgable amiga unix people

my tape says system v release 4 version 1.1
is there newere versions (2.1?) if so how do I get the upgrade?

thanks
john
--
_____ ____ ___ __ __ __ _
< _/ |/ /\ \/ / \/ |/ \| \| |sky...@iastate.edu|Comp. Sci. Major|UNIX&|

Michel J. Brown

Mar 11, 1995, 4:35:12 PM3/11/95
In <jpstanford-28...@130.181.9.242>,
jpsta...@space.honeywell.com (Jeff Stanford) writes:

> In article <3irs8o$b...@news1.shell>, xeg...@shell.portal.com (Steve Paul) wrote:
>
> > Hello all:
> >
> > Does anyone know what is needed to get Amiga Unix to install with a
> > Viper DC2150 QIC-150 compat. tape drive? I'm using a stock
> > A3000, 8MB/2MB CHIP, and a Viper Tape Drive (ID#1) and a Fujitsu
> > 540 MB SCSI DRIVE (ID#6)... The install finds both devices when installing
> > and I can partition the hard drive, but it times out on the tape!
> > (Actually the tape doesn't even appear to 'hit'). It just keeps asking
> > to 'Insert Amiga Unix Tape and press Enter'...
> >
> > Any hints, suggestions, etc??
> >
> > Also, as a side note: Has anyone used Amiga Unix with OS3.1 ??
> > I put the OS2.04 ROMS back in for this purpose to help alleviate
> > any possible head-aches, but is Amiga Unix OS3.1 compat. ???
> >

> I believe the tape is expected to be SCSI unit 3 or 4 by AmiUnix, I forget
> which at the moment. Try changing the id number on your tape drive.
>
> I'll look it up and reply if otherwise.
>
> Good luck,
> Jeff

Yes, you *must* use unit 4 with AMIX. Also, enter crtl-d and type
viper_kludge go at the keyboard prompt, then let the wedge activate, and
enter ctrl-d again, and continue with the install as per the docs.
Virtually yours,
Michel

> --
> Jeff Stanford Don't even think these words
> come from my employer, cause
> jpsta...@space.honeywell.com they don't!
> j.sta...@genie.geis.com

Generic Sig -- enter your sig below

101010 -- The answer to life, the Universe, and *EVERYTHING*!