mksysb problems

1 view

Darren King

Jul 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/31/95
I am having problems restoring files from a mksysb tape. I move past
the first part bof the tape with 'tctl fsf 3' and then do 'tar tvf /dev/rmt0'
and I get a complete list of the files. Great. I want the '/usr/local'
dir. structure back, so I type 'tar xvf /dev/rmt0 /usr/local'. This
works on all other UNIX systems I use. However, on the IBM, it just
sits there, spins the tape for a while and returns silently...NO files
were restored!!! What gives? Am I missing something obvious?

thanx...

dk.
--
Darren King, George Brown College :: -> dk...@gbrownc.on.ca

Urban A. Haas

Jul 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/31/95
Darren writes:

> I am having problems restoring files from a mksysb tape. I move past
> the first part bof the tape with 'tctl fsf 3' and then do 'tar tvf /dev/rmt0'
> and I get a complete list of the files. Great. I want the '/usr/local'
> dir. structure back, so I type 'tar xvf /dev/rmt0 /usr/local'. This
> works on all other UNIX systems I use. However, on the IBM, it just
> sits there, spins the tape for a while and returns silently...NO files
> were restored!!! What gives? Am I missing something obvious?

Try 'tar xvf /dev/rmt0 ./usr/local' (noting the period before /usr). Mksysb on
AIX makes a relative backup of the filesystem so you can restore any portion
into another directory of your choosing. If you want them back in /usr/local,
change directory to the '/' directory before running the command.

Urban A. Haas (612) 397-2641 (office)

Ronald S. Woan

Jul 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/31/95

A couple of things. You may have inadvertantly rewound the tape, and I
believe files are tared with relative paths. The sequence should be.

cd /
tctl -f /dev/rmt0.1 rewind
tctl -f /dev/rmt0.1 fsf 3
tar -xvf /dev/rmt0.1 ./usr/local

Or at least that's my best guess without trying it.
--
+------All Views Expressed Are My Own And Not Necessarily Shared By IBM-----+
+ Ronald S. Woan (IBM VNET)WOAN AT AUSTIN, wo...@exeter.austin.ibm.com +

Cameron Ferstat

Jul 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/31/95

In article <3vijh8$a...@gbc.gbrownc.on.ca>, dk...@gbc.gbrownc.on.ca (Darren King) writes:
> I am having problems restoring files from a mksysb tape. I move past
> the first part bof the tape with 'tctl fsf 3' and then do 'tar tvf /dev/rmt0'
> and I get a complete list of the files. Great. I want the '/usr/local'
> dir. structure back, so I type 'tar xvf /dev/rmt0 /usr/local'.

First thing - you did reposition the tape after doing the tar tvf?

But I'm sure your problem is the fact that the files are backed up using a
relative path. Try:

tar xvf /dev/rmt0 ./usr/local

> This
> works on all other UNIX systems I use. However, on the IBM, it just
> sits there, spins the tape for a while and returns silently...NO files
> were restored!!! What gives? Am I missing something obvious?

I guess all your other UNIX systems would behave the same - you need to
match the filename/path EXACTLY.

> thanx...
>
> dk.
> --
> Darren King, George Brown College :: -> dk...@gbrownc.on.ca

Cheers,
Cam.
--

Cameron Ferstat
AIX Everythingist

Tim Bell

Jul 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/31/95
rmt0 will cause the device to rewind.. you want to use rmt0.1

tctl -f /dev/rmt0 fsf 3
tar xvf /dev/rmt0.1 ./usr/local/....

Tim.

Laurent Dullaart

Aug 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/1/95
tb...@sp052.cern.ch (Tim Bell) wrote:

> rmt0 will cause the device to rewind.. you want to use rmt0.1
>
> tctl -f /dev/rmt0 fsf 3
er...

tctl -f /dev/rmt0.1 fsf 3
On our systems rmt0 also rewinds after a tctl.

Ron Wigmore

Aug 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/3/95
Ronald S. Woan (wo...@exeter.austin.ibm.com) wrote:
: A couple of things. You may have inadvertantly rewound the tape, and I

: believe files are tared with relative paths. The sequence should be.

: cd /
: tctl -f /dev/rmt0.1 rewind

: tctl -f /dev/rmt0.1 fsf 3
: tar -xvf /dev/rmt0.1 ./usr/local

I know this works under AIX 3.2.5, I've done it myself, but a co-worker
says it doesn't work on our new AIX 4.1.3 system. Has the procedure
changed for 4.1 or did he just do something wrong?

Ron,,,