MiKTeX 2.9 problems - maybe hyperref

Ahmed Musa

Feb 25, 2011, 5:01:41 PM2/25/11
I updated MiKTeX 2.9 today using the Update Manager and discovered
that my old files won't compile anymore. I get the error 'Some
Postscript specials couldn't be rendered'. The error disappears if I
don't load hyperref. Please where can I find an older version of
hyperref? I guess the problem is from version v6.82b of hyperref.

Herbert Schulz

Feb 25, 2011, 5:54:58 PM2/25/11
In article
<4d812cf6-9b8b-42d5...@s18g2000vbe.googlegroups.com>,
Ahmed Musa <amu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Howdy,

This sounds more like a problem where you are compiling with pdflatex
rather than latex or you are telling hyperref that you are doing that.

Good Luck,
Herb Schulz

Ahmed Musa

Feb 25, 2011, 7:04:23 PM2/25/11
On Feb 25, 10:54 pm, Herbert Schulz <he...@wideopenwest.com> wrote:
> In article
> <4d812cf6-9b8b-42d5-b136-06f5bae0a...@s18g2000vbe.googlegroups.com>,

>  Ahmed Musa <amus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I updated MiKTeX 2.9 today using the Update Manager and discovered
> > that my old files won't compile anymore. I get the error 'Some
> > Postscript specials couldn't be rendered'. The error disappears if I
> > don't load hyperref. Please where can I find an older version of
> > hyperref? I guess the problem is from version v6.82b of hyperref.
>
> Howdy,
>
> This sounds more like a problem where you are compiling with pdflatex
> rather than latex or you are telling hyperref that you are doing that.
>
> Good Luck,
> Herb Schulz

Thanks, but that is surely not the case.

Heiko Oberdiek

Feb 25, 2011, 9:46:35 PM2/25/11
Ahmed Musa <amu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I updated MiKTeX 2.9 today using the Update Manager and discovered
> that my old files won't compile anymore. I get the error 'Some
> Postscript specials couldn't be rendered'.

It doesn't look like an error of a TeX engine.
If you are using a DVI viewer on a .dvi file, enhanced
with PostScript specials, then this error might be
even correct.

> The error disappears if I don't load hyperref.
> Please where can I find an older version of hyperref?

.tds.zip files:
ftp://download.gnu.org.ua/pub/release/hyperref

sources:
http://svn.gnu.org.ua/viewvc/hyperref/tags/

If you find a bug, please make a minimal example.

--
Heiko Oberdiek

Ahmed Musa

Feb 26, 2011, 12:00:00 AM2/26/11
On Feb 26, 2:46 am, Heiko Oberdiek <heiko.oberd...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

Thanks. I will reinstall old hyperref, but you may be right, that the
problem is with the DVI viewer. The error log follows:

MiKTeX Problem Report
Message: Some PostScript specials could not be rendered.
Data: Error: /undefined in H.S
Operand stack:
--nostringval--PermitFileReading--nostringval--PermitFileWriting--
nostringval--
Execution stack:
%interp_exit .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --
nostringval-- 2 %stopped_push --nostringval-- --
nostringval-- --nostringval-- false 1 %stopped_push 1914
1 3 %oparray_pop 1913 1 3 %oparray_pop 1897 1 3
%oparray_pop 1787 1 3 %oparray_pop --nostringval--
%errorexec_pop .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --
nostringval-- 2 %stopped_push --nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
--dict:1166/1684(ro)(G)-- --dict:0/20(G)-- --dict:78/200(L)--
--dict:95/300(L)-- --dict:17/200(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
MiKTeX GPL Ghostscript 9.00: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1

Source: Libraries\MiKTeX\Dvi\Ghostscript.cpp
Line: 372
MiKTeX: 2.9
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition, 64-bit (build 7600)
Invokers: explorer/WinEdt
SystemAdmin: no
PowerUser: no
Root0: C:\Users\amusa\AppData\Roaming\MiKTeX\2.9
Root1: C:\Users\amusa\AppData\Local\MiKTeX\2.9
Root2: C:\ProgramData\MiKTeX\2.9
Root3: C:\Users\amusa\AppData\Local\MiKTeX\2.9\tex
Root4: C:\Users\amusa\AppData\Local\Local TeX Packages
Root5: C:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX 2.9
UserInstall: C:\Users\amusa\AppData\Roaming\MiKTeX\2.9
UserConfig: C:\Users\amusa\AppData\Roaming\MiKTeX\2.9
UserData: C:\Users\amusa\AppData\Local\MiKTeX\2.9
CommonInstall: C:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX 2.9
CommonConfig: C:\ProgramData\MiKTeX\2.9
CommonData: C:\ProgramData\MiKTeX\2.9

Rolf Niepraschk

Feb 26, 2011, 5:23:15 AM2/26/11
Am 26.02.2011 06:00, schrieb Ahmed Musa:

> Thanks. I will reinstall old hyperref, but you may be right, that the
> problem is with the DVI viewer. The error log follows:
Don't use a dvi viewer but better a postscript viewer or even better
convert the postscript file to pdf.

...Rolf
--
|| Rolf Niepraschk, email: Rolf (.) Niepraschk (at) gmx (.) de
|| Berlin, Germany

Ahmed Musa

Feb 26, 2011, 5:53:14 AM2/26/11

Thanks, but what of inverse DVI search, which I assume is not
available in PDF?

Ulrike Fischer

Feb 26, 2011, 6:39:13 AM2/26/11
Am Fri, 25 Feb 2011 21:00:00 -0800 (PST) schrieb Ahmed Musa:

> Thanks. I will reinstall old hyperref, but you may be right, that the
> problem is with the DVI viewer.

Miktex has changed YAP:

http://blog.miktex.org/post/2011/02/Yap-24-render-method.aspx

Play around with the render methods. If the problem persits you
should try to make a minimal example that demonstrates the problem,
so that other people can check if there is a bug in YAP.

--
Ulrike Fischer

Ahmed Musa

Feb 26, 2011, 8:27:30 AM2/26/11

\documentclass[a4paper,11pt,final]{article}
\makeatletter

\usepackage{hyperref}
\hypersetup
{colorlinks=true,linkcolor=red,pdfpagemode=UseThumbs,
implicit=true,breaklinks=true,pagebackref=true,backref=true,

bookmarks=true,bookmarksnumbered=true,hyperfootnotes=true,debug=true,
naturalnames=false,citecolor=purple,pdfview=FitH,pdfstartview=FitH
}
\usepackage{doipubmed}
\usepackage{lipsum}
\begin{document}
\lipsum[1-2]
\end{document}

Ulrike Fischer

Feb 26, 2011, 9:07:05 AM2/26/11
Am Sat, 26 Feb 2011 05:27:30 -0800 (PST) schrieb Ahmed Musa:

>>> Thanks. I will reinstall old hyperref, but you may be right, that the
>>> problem is with the DVI viewer.
>>
>> Miktex has changed YAP:
>>
>> http://blog.miktex.org/post/2011/02/Yap-24-render-method.aspx
>>
>> Play around with the render methods. If the problem persits you
>> should try to make a minimal example that demonstrates the problem,
>> so that other people can check if there is a bug in YAP.

> \documentclass[a4paper,11pt,final]{article}
> \makeatletter
>
> \usepackage{hyperref}
> \hypersetup
> {colorlinks=true,linkcolor=red,pdfpagemode=UseThumbs,
> implicit=true,breaklinks=true,pagebackref=true,backref=true,
>
> bookmarks=true,bookmarksnumbered=true,hyperfootnotes=true,debug=true,
> naturalnames=false,citecolor=purple,pdfview=FitH,pdfstartview=FitH
> }
> \usepackage{doipubmed}
> \usepackage{lipsum}
> \begin{document}
> \lipsum[1-2]
> \end{document}

This example is sufficient to demonstrate the problem:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{hyperref}

\usepackage{lipsum}
\begin{document}
\lipsum[1-2]
\end{document}

And as I already suggested it is due to the changes in the render
method. With pk-mode you get the error, with dvips mode it works
fine.

Solutions:
1. Set the default render method to dvips (options, tab display)

or if you prefer pk-mode

2. use the hypertex-driver with hyperref
(\usepackage[hypertex]{hyperref}). You will have to remove the
driver option if you want to process the dvi with dvips.

Btw: You are setting quite a lot options in \hypersetup which are
ignored at this place. Move them to the optional argument of
\usepackage{hyperref}. Check the log for messages like

Package hyperref Warning: Option `implicit' has already been used,
(hyperref) setting the option has no effect on input
line 13.

--
Ulrike Fischer

Ahmed Musa

Feb 26, 2011, 9:51:24 AM2/26/11
> Ulrike Fischer- Hide quoted text -

Many thanks. You have saved me a lot of time.

Philipp Stephani

Feb 26, 2011, 11:27:03 AM2/26/11
Ahmed Musa <amu...@gmail.com> writes:

For PDF there is SyncTeX (implemented a few years ago, but probably less
widespread than DVI sync).

--
Change “LookInSig” to “tcalveu” to answer by mail.

Ariovaldo

Feb 5, 2013, 7:14:14 AM2/5/13
Hello all

I installed Miktex 2.9 (Windows 7 Enterprise) some days ago. Today I tried to run update (Admin) and I got the error message:

"The operation could not be completed for the following reason:

LZMA decoder error.

Details: hr=1 "

Any help

Thanks