Working quickly between PDF and .tex

Merciadri Luca

Apr 10, 2010, 1:17:25 PM4/10/10

GL

Apr 10, 2010, 1:27:09 PM4/10/10
Le 10/04/2010 19:17, Merciadri Luca a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I know, the title is not explicit. Actually, it often happens that one
> compiles a .tex document for a minor modification of the file, but
> simply to see the effect of the modification (or at least to see if it
> still compile!). I know that there are plenty options to make the
> compilation process quicker (e.g. by omitting the pictures, etc.), but
> is there any editor which allows one to quickly switch between the
> output (pdf) and the input (tex), where only the modified part of the
> tex, is reintegrated in the PDF?
>
> I assume that it is not the case, but who knows?
>
> Thanks.

Are you suggesting TeX is a slow donkey ?

David Kastrup

Apr 10, 2010, 1:34:45 PM4/10/10
Merciadri Luca <Luca.Me...@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:

> I know, the title is not explicit. Actually, it often happens that one
> compiles a .tex document for a minor modification of the file, but
> simply to see the effect of the modification (or at least to see if it
> still compile!). I know that there are plenty options to make the
> compilation process quicker (e.g. by omitting the pictures, etc.), but
> is there any editor which allows one to quickly switch between the
> output (pdf) and the input (tex), where only the modified part of the
> tex, is reintegrated in the PDF?
>
> I assume that it is not the case, but who knows?

For the purpose of checking particular constructs like math,
preview-latex
<URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/preview-latex.html> might fit
your workflow well.

A more traditional approach is using SyncTeX which comes from TeXshop or
some similar MacOSX environment I don't remember, but is also supported
by AUCTeX <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/index.html>.

--
David Kastrup
UKTUG FAQ: <URL:http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html>

Martin Heller

Apr 10, 2010, 1:42:55 PM4/10/10
Merciadri Luca wrote:
> I know, the title is not explicit. Actually, it often happens that one
> compiles a .tex document for a minor modification of the file, but
> simply to see the effect of the modification (or at least to see if it
> still compile!). I know that there are plenty options to make the
> compilation process quicker (e.g. by omitting the pictures, etc.), but
> is there any editor which allows one to quickly switch between the
> output (pdf) and the input (tex), where only the modified part of the
> tex, is reintegrated in the PDF?
>
> I assume that it is not the case, but who knows?

Many LaTeX editors can compile only part of a document. In Kile you can
select part of you document and hit Ctrl+Alt+p and then s. Other editors
provide similar funcionality.

Alternatively you can try LaTeX Daemon
<http://code.google.com/p/latexdaemon/>
<http://william.famille-blum.org/software/latexdaemon>
and a viewer that does not lock the pdf, e.g. SumatraPDF
<http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf>

Merciadri Luca

Apr 10, 2010, 2:23:53 PM4/10/10

Merciadri Luca

Apr 10, 2010, 2:25:21 PM4/10/10

Merciadri Luca

Apr 10, 2010, 2:26:11 PM4/10/10

Martin Heller

Apr 10, 2010, 2:52:09 PM4/10/10
Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Kile seems to need a `document' environment for the selection, in this
> case. (I just tried, and it complains: `No \begin{document}'!)

I think Kile expects to find a preamble. Otherwise previewing would fail
if you used functionality from some package.

>> Alternatively you can try LaTeX Daemon
>> <http://code.google.com/p/latexdaemon/>
>> <http://william.famille-blum.org/software/latexdaemon>
>> and a viewer that does not lock the pdf, e.g. SumatraPDF
>> <http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf>
> These are Windows tools, aren't they?

yes.

David Kastrup

Apr 10, 2010, 2:55:12 PM4/10/10
Merciadri Luca <Luca.Me...@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:

> Martin Heller <mr_h...@yahoo.dk> writes:
>
>> Merciadri Luca wrote:
>>> I know, the title is not explicit. Actually, it often happens that one
>>> compiles a .tex document for a minor modification of the file, but
>>> simply to see the effect of the modification (or at least to see if it
>>> still compile!). I know that there are plenty options to make the
>>> compilation process quicker (e.g. by omitting the pictures, etc.), but
>>> is there any editor which allows one to quickly switch between the
>>> output (pdf) and the input (tex), where only the modified part of the
>>> tex, is reintegrated in the PDF?
>>>
>>> I assume that it is not the case, but who knows?
>>
>> Many LaTeX editors can compile only part of a document. In Kile you
>> can select part of you document and hit Ctrl+Alt+p and then s.
> Kile seems to need a `document' environment for the selection, in this
> case. (I just tried, and it complains: `No \begin{document}'!)

AUCTeX can compile regions, and it does it by prepending the region with
the document preamble and postending it with \end{document}. However,
this requires the respective lines to be in an expected place: if not in
the current file, you need to set up the master file (where it will
look).

I should be surprised if Kile behaved significantly differently: region
compilation support without automatic inclusion of document pre- and
postamble would seem quite useless.

So perhaps you need to tell Kile in some way a bit more about your
file/document structure.

Herbert Schulz

Apr 10, 2010, 4:22:51 PM4/10/10
In article <87zl1b9...@lola.goethe.zz>, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org>
wrote:

Howdy,

Synctex has been built into pdftex and xetex since TL-2008. But an
editor needs to be aware of it. It's certainly not Mac oriented. E.g.,
the TeXworks cross platform editor can sync between source and pdf via
synctex.

Good Luck,
Herb Schulz

Robin Fairbairns

Apr 10, 2010, 4:27:36 PM4/10/10

this is a regular area of discussion on tex groups. and what's more,
it's not one i've summarised in the faq. one of the regular answerers
may respond. they may even produce enough material that i can create
a faq answer of it.

> Are you suggesting TeX is a slow donkey ?

presumably that pdftex is a slow donkey (it is indeed much slower than
tex), but the real sluggard in the process, unless you do something
fancy, is killing off the reader, recompiling, and then restarting the
reader. there are various fancies available, but i don't have the
data to regurgitate.
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge

Merciadri Luca

Apr 10, 2010, 5:13:26 PM4/10/10

Timothy Murphy

Apr 10, 2010, 6:48:23 PM4/10/10
Merciadri Luca wrote:

> I know, the title is not explicit. Actually, it often happens that one
> compiles a .tex document for a minor modification of the file, but
> simply to see the effect of the modification (or at least to see if it
> still compile!). I know that there are plenty options to make the
> compilation process quicker (e.g. by omitting the pictures, etc.), but
> is there any editor which allows one to quickly switch between the
> output (pdf) and the input (tex), where only the modified part of the
> tex, is reintegrated in the PDF?

Not really an answer, but under Linux (Fedora)
I latex in one window, and run xdvi in another.
The xdvi output changes automagically when the .tex file is changed
and re-latexed.

I do run pdflatex at the end, but unfortunately xpdf
does not seem to share this property of xdvi.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Aaron W. Hsu

Apr 10, 2010, 8:01:12 PM4/10/10
Merciadri Luca <Luca.Me...@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:

>I know, the title is not explicit. Actually, it often happens that one
>compiles a .tex document for a minor modification of the file, but
>simply to see the effect of the modification (or at least to see if it
>still compile!). I know that there are plenty options to make the
>compilation process quicker (e.g. by omitting the pictures, etc.), but
>is there any editor which allows one to quickly switch between the
>output (pdf) and the input (tex), where only the modified part of the
>tex, is reintegrated in the PDF?

It appears that you have a large TeX file that takes a while to
compile and then view, right? Here's the workflow that I use when
writing large TeX documents:

1. Divide each document into various sections or targets.
2. For each of the above sections, create a separate TeX file for
them.
3. Create a container TeX file which includes all of the sections
in the appropriate order.
4. Create a Makefile with targets for handling each TeX file.
I use a TeX -> DVI -> {PS,PDF} workflow, so I take advantage
of make to avoid having to type in the same commands over and over
again.
5. I also have a setting that indicates whether I want to view the
output immediately or just generate the files. I bind a function
key in my editor to run make on the current file that I am editing
with the appropriate setting.

So, when I am editing any one particular file, I can just hit a button,
and I'll see the results of my work. I can check them out, and see what
I'm dealing with, and then close the file down again. I set up my
macros such that I can input them in each file, and they will only
get loaded once. That way, each section is itself both a self contained
document, as well as a suitable sub-piece to be combined whole with
others.

I find this to be a very effective way of working. You might like
something else, but it is certainly possible to work this way with
most editors.

Aaron W. Hsu
--
A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep.

Bob Tennent

Apr 11, 2010, 12:28:02 AM4/11/10
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 00:48:23 +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Not really an answer, but under Linux (Fedora)
> I latex in one window, and run xdvi in another.
> The xdvi output changes automagically when the .tex file is changed
> and re-latexed.
>
> I do run pdflatex at the end, but unfortunately xpdf
> does not seem to share this property of xdvi.

There are other PDF viewers that do: try gv or okular. Even xpdf will
reload if you use an R keystroke.

Harri Haanpaa

Apr 11, 2010, 12:54:16 AM4/11/10
On 2010-04-11, Aaron W Hsu <arc...@sacrideo.us> wrote:
> It appears that you have a large TeX file that takes a while to
> compile and then view, right? Here's the workflow that I use when
> writing large TeX documents:

High-tech solutions have been proposed to the question asked by the
original poster. Even though this does not directly answer the question,
let me propose another solution.

To speed up the compilation, would not ye olde \include and \includeonly
be a good mechanism? With that one could compile a part of the document
at a time, which might be desirable even with modern computers when one
is working on a 1100 page document.

One could set things up so that one would have split the actual contents
into chapter*.tex and then

main.tex:

\begin{document}
\include{chapter1}
\include{chapter2}
\include{chapter3}
\end{document}

and then my personal preference is to have files like

justchapter1.tex:

\includeonly{chapter1}
\input{main}

so that I could get the whole document compiled by compiling main.tex,
and chapter 1 by compiling justchapter1.tex . (One should start by
compiling main.tex to get the page numbering etc. correct.)

The other thing is of course that one may want to use a PDF reader that
can reload the document when it has changed on disk. On Linux I like to use
xpdf, which reloads the recompiled document when I hit r.

(I guess a similar setup could be handy for producing lecture slides a)
as one file for the entire course b) as separate files for each lecture.)

Regards,
Harri Haanp\"a\"a

Merciadri Luca

Apr 11, 2010, 5:19:16 AM4/11/10

David Kastrup

Apr 11, 2010, 6:34:45 AM4/11/10
Merciadri Luca <Luca.Me...@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:

> Thanks for all your answers. Using \include or \input commands is
> precisely what I do, together with a .tex container (which I'll refer
> to as the `main' file).
>
> But you all seem to say that compiling an isolated .tex file which is
> \includ'ed (or \input'ed) in the main file is a straightforward
> operation. However, all my \includ'ed or \input'ed .tex files simply
> contain text, eqs., etc., but no document preamble. Or, AFAIK, a
> document preamble is necessary for a compilation. So, how do you
> manage to compile them seperately?

The editor extracts the preamble automatically and wraps it around the
file/region in question.

Timothy Murphy

Apr 11, 2010, 6:42:28 AM4/11/10
Merciadri Luca wrote:

> But you all seem to say that compiling an isolated .tex file which is
> \includ'ed (or \input'ed) in the main file is a straightforward
> operation. However, all my \includ'ed or \input'ed .tex files simply
> contain text, eqs., etc., but no document preamble. Or, AFAIK, a
> document preamble is necessary for a compilation. So, how do you
> manage to compile them seperately?

I didn't really understand this comment.
Have you considered the askinclude package which someone mentioned?
One nice feature of this is that it remembers (at least under Linux)
which parts you included on your last compilation,
and repeats the choice unless you specify another.
This means if you are working on one chapter,
you just need to say "latex mybook" each time.

Merciadri Luca

Apr 11, 2010, 7:58:55 AM4/11/10

tom lewton

Apr 11, 2010, 9:06:50 AM4/11/10
On 10 Apr 2010 at 18:26, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> writes:
>> Merciadri Luca <Luca.Me...@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:
>>> I know, the title is not explicit. Actually, it often happens that one
>>> compiles a .tex document for a minor modification of the file, but
>>> simply to see the effect of the modification (or at least to see if it
>>> still compile!). I know that there are plenty options to make the
>>> compilation process quicker (e.g. by omitting the pictures, etc.), but
>>> is there any editor which allows one to quickly switch between the
>>> output (pdf) and the input (tex), where only the modified part of the
>>> tex, is reintegrated in the PDF?
>>>
>>> I assume that it is not the case, but who knows?
>>
>> For the purpose of checking particular constructs like math,
>> preview-latex
>> <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/preview-latex.html> might fit
>> your workflow well.
> Clearly. I adopt it, as I like emacs. :-)

you may want to bear in mind that kastrup has a vested interest in
plugging preview-latex. he also has a long history of posting
advertisements for his products in this group without pointing out that
he stands to gain finanically from them - as in this case.

there was a time when he used to post technical content to ctt as well -
now that's dried up and almost all his posts do nothing but push some
program of his or other.

of course, if you want to encourage a spammer by acting on his
advertisements, that's up to you.

David Kastrup

Apr 11, 2010, 10:22:55 AM4/11/10
tom lewton <nos...@nospam.invalid> writes:

> On 10 Apr 2010 at 18:26, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>> David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> writes:
>>>

>>> For the purpose of checking particular constructs like math,
>>> preview-latex
>>> <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/preview-latex.html> might fit
>>> your workflow well.
>> Clearly. I adopt it, as I like emacs. :-)
>
> you may want to bear in mind that kastrup has a vested interest in
> plugging preview-latex. he also has a long history of posting
> advertisements for his products in this group without pointing out
> that he stands to gain finanically from them - as in this case.

Actually, if you compare the posting histories of "tom lewton" and
"David Kastrup" in this group, you'll find out that the former is much
more obsessed with preview-latex than the latter.

> there was a time when he used to post technical content to ctt as well
> - now that's dried up and almost all his posts do nothing but push
> some program of his or other.

Well, get your revenge. Create some free software for the sake of TeX
users and announce it here. That's the way CTAN (and TeX development)
works.

> of course, if you want to encourage a spammer by acting on his
> advertisements, that's up to you.

You could probably try to discourage him by taking over his projects and
responsibilities for them. That should _really_ teach him. As their
copyright is mostly assigned to the Free Software Foundation anyway, no
legal repercussions to be feared.

Merciadri Luca

Apr 11, 2010, 10:22:42 AM4/11/10

Robin Fairbairns

Apr 11, 2010, 10:58:25 AM4/11/10
On 2010-04-11, tom lewton <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> On 10 Apr 2010 at 18:26, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>> David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> writes:
>>> For the purpose of checking particular constructs like math,
>>> preview-latex
>>> <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/preview-latex.html> might fit
>>> your workflow well.

(which solves a part of the stated problem.)

>> Clearly. I adopt it, as I like emacs. :-)

(reasonable.)

> you may want to bear in mind that kastrup has a vested interest in
> plugging preview-latex. he also has a long history of posting
> advertisements for his products in this group without pointing out that
> he stands to gain finanically from them - as in this case.

how does he stand to gain financially? it's all free software, after
all. this isn't microcruft world we're talking about, is it[*]?

> there was a time when he used to post technical content to ctt as well -
> now that's dried up and almost all his posts do nothing but push some
> program of his or other.

you silly little man. you plainly don't read the group enough, or
perhaps you have some curiously tinted glasses.

> of course, if you want to encourage a spammer by acting on his
> advertisements, that's up to you.

oh do shut up and go away.

[*] or are you an agent of muckroslop, who certainly do employ people
to persuade the world that free software is a threat to the american
dream, or some such tosh.
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge

David Kastrup

Apr 11, 2010, 11:16:43 AM4/11/10
Robin Fairbairns <rf...@warp.cl.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> On 2010-04-11, tom lewton <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
> (which solves a part of the stated problem.)
>
>>> Clearly. I adopt it, as I like emacs. :-)
>
> (reasonable.)
>
>> you may want to bear in mind that kastrup has a vested interest in
>> plugging preview-latex. he also has a long history of posting
>> advertisements for his products in this group without pointing out that
>> he stands to gain finanically from them - as in this case.
>
> how does he stand to gain financially? it's all free software, after
> all.

I do consulting (though none in the area of preview-latex/AUCTeX so
far), and the original preview-latex page had a donation button. People
_have_ donated to both preview-latex and AUCTeX projects, and the total
amount on both since I started working on either would almost suffice
for the conference fee for _one_ reasonably cheap TeX conference (like
BachoTeX, coming up next and very commendable) where I talk about them.
Actually, on this BachoTeX conference I was not going to talk about
programs with a vested financial interest of mine.

>> there was a time when he used to post technical content to ctt as
>> well - now that's dried up and almost all his posts do nothing but
>> push some program of his or other.
>
> you silly little man. you plainly don't read the group enough, or
> perhaps you have some curiously tinted glasses.

Or too many programs used around here have had some contribution of
mine. Sadly, most of my contributions nowadays consist of nagging
others.

>> of course, if you want to encourage a spammer by acting on his
>> advertisements, that's up to you.
>
> oh do shut up and go away.

I think one of the most prolific spammers pushing free software around
here goes by the title of "CTAN Announcements". I wish I had as much
announcements to make as that...

> [*] or are you an agent of muckroslop, who certainly do employ people
> to persuade the world that free software is a threat to the american
> dream, or some such tosh.

I should think that they can afford better personnel than that.
Sometimes a petty goat is just a petty goat.

Merciadri Luca

Apr 11, 2010, 12:26:49 PM4/11/10

David Kastrup

Apr 11, 2010, 12:51:23 PM4/11/10
Merciadri Luca <Luca.Me...@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:

> David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>> I should think that they can afford better personnel than that.
>> Sometimes a petty goat is just a petty goat.
>
> Happy to hear such comments. When I looked at the increasing number of
> messages he (`tom lewton') was globally writing on Usenet, I thought
> that writing so many messages in such a small amount of time could
> only be possible if the messages contained uninteresting remarks from
> him, or simply garbage!

That's interesting. I don't remember seeing much here (or elsewhere)
apart from complaints about me, so that appeared to be a rather limited
topic and interest. Certainly nothing that could amount significantly
for "so many messages in such a small amount of time".

If you see prolific messages of him elsewhere, I am rather sure that
they would have other topics than you find him writing about here.

And to be honest, if the number of postings globally written on Usenet
is a reliable indicator for garbage or uninteresting remarks, you should
probably rather stop reading my than his postings.

All the best. Oh, and one word regarding trying out preview-latex
(which will send our good Mr lewton foaming at the mouth again): there
is no physical dependency or commitment involved. It changes not a
single byte of your existing or newly written code. You can quit
anytime, and nobody will notice either which way. That's a safer deal
than with editing environments having their own file formats and
import/export (like LyX and TeXmacs do). It does not even touch the
text in your buffer, just the visual appearance of it (a semi-WYSIWYG
Emacs package called XSymbol worked by changing buffer contents and was
somewhat notorious for garbling files when things went wrong for some
reason).

Merciadri Luca

Apr 11, 2010, 12:58:04 PM4/11/10

David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> writes:

> Merciadri Luca <Luca.Me...@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:
>
>> David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> writes:
>>>
>>> I should think that they can afford better personnel than that.
>>> Sometimes a petty goat is just a petty goat.
>>
>> Happy to hear such comments. When I looked at the increasing number of
>> messages he (`tom lewton') was globally writing on Usenet, I thought
>> that writing so many messages in such a small amount of time could
>> only be possible if the messages contained uninteresting remarks from
>> him, or simply garbage!
>
> That's interesting. I don't remember seeing much here (or elsewhere)
> apart from complaints about me, so that appeared to be a rather limited
> topic and interest.

That is precisely why its intervention could have been to `tell the
truth.'

> And to be honest, if the number of postings globally written on Usenet
> is a reliable indicator for garbage or uninteresting remarks, you should
> probably rather stop reading my than his postings.

I did not say that this was a necessary & sufficient condition for
being a spammer. What I want to say is that if some person posts many
messages on many groups, and that this person

- - does not bring some technical information in the topic where the
message is written,
- - does not bother using uppercase letters when needed (okay, Robin
does not always use such letters, but this is Robin, not a spammer!),
- - does criticize another poster, and that it is the only thing that he
does in the thread,

this person has more chances to be a spammer than an interesting
person!

> All the best. Oh, and one word regarding trying out preview-latex
> (which will send our good Mr lewton foaming at the mouth again): there
> is no physical dependency or commitment involved. It changes not a
> single byte of your existing or newly written code. You can quit
> anytime, and nobody will notice either which way. That's a safer deal
> than with editing environments having their own file formats and
> import/export (like LyX and TeXmacs do). It does not even touch the
> text in your buffer, just the visual appearance of it (a semi-WYSIWYG
> Emacs package called XSymbol worked by changing buffer contents and was
> somewhat notorious for garbling files when things went wrong for some
> reason).

Thanks. It looks nice. I'll try it.

It is possible to be born an aristocrat without ever becoming a
gentleman. (Nicholas Ridley)

Merciadri Luca

Apr 11, 2010, 1:29:20 PM4/11/10

Robin Fairbairns

Apr 11, 2010, 2:04:22 PM4/11/10
On 2010-04-11, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
> Robin Fairbairns <rf...@warp.cl.cam.ac.uk> writes:
>> On 2010-04-11, tom lewton <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>>[all snipped

> I think one of the most prolific spammers pushing free software around
> here goes by the title of "CTAN Announcements". I wish I had as much
> announcements to make as that...

oh dear. so i obviously _would_ support someone guilty of spamming.
i'd better watch my step...

>> [*] or are you an agent of muckroslop, who certainly do employ people
>> to persuade the world that free software is a threat to the american
>> dream, or some such tosh.
>
> I should think that they can afford better personnel than that.
> Sometimes a petty goat is just a petty goat.

i met one of their goats, at (would you believe) a microslop eduction
event. not a terribly prepossessing character, actually, but he was
giving away some rather nice sweets, along with his curious leaflets
about how the eu shouldn't be allowed to accept tenders offering
linux.
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge

ma...@mendelu.cz

Apr 11, 2010, 2:24:25 PM4/11/10
On 11 dub, 18:58, Merciadri Luca <Luca.Mercia...@student.ulg.ac.be>
wrote:

> Thanks. It looks nice. I'll try it.

Do it :). If you use Emacs, I think there is no better environment
than AUCTeX and preview-latex. I found preview-latex useful when I was
learning LaTeX. For example, you can easily build preview for one
single environment. It helped me a lot when I was learning TeX. Now I
personaly find previews of math-related text disturbing, but still use
preview-latex to check and finetune some more complicated formulas.

Robert

Jim Diamond

Apr 11, 2010, 4:15:28 PM4/11/10
On 2010-04-10 at 19:48 ADT, Timothy Murphy <gayl...@eircom.net> wrote:
> Merciadri Luca wrote:
>
>> I know, the title is not explicit. Actually, it often happens that one
>> compiles a .tex document for a minor modification of the file, but
>> simply to see the effect of the modification (or at least to see if it
>> still compile!). I know that there are plenty options to make the
>> compilation process quicker (e.g. by omitting the pictures, etc.), but
>> is there any editor which allows one to quickly switch between the
>> output (pdf) and the input (tex), where only the modified part of the
>> tex, is reintegrated in the PDF?
>
> Not really an answer, but under Linux (Fedora)
> I latex in one window, and run xdvi in another.
> The xdvi output changes automagically when the .tex file is changed
> and re-latexed.
>
> I do run pdflatex at the end, but unfortunately xpdf
> does not seem to share this property of xdvi.

Not directly, but the version I am using has a '-reload' option.
So I have an emacs function which runs tex on the current buffer and
then tells xpdf to reload:

(defun
tex-xpdf-view ()
"Run the TeX buffer through pdftex and view it with xpdf."
(interactive)

(let ((tex-command "pdftex"))
(tex-buffer)
;; Actually, use "show" to get a new acroread window, so
;; that other acroread windows will not get glommed.
(tex-send-command
(concat "pgrep -f 'xpdf -remote tex' "
"&& xpdf -remote tex -reload"
"|| xpdf -remote tex "
(tex-append tex-print-file ".pdf &")))
)
)

This is a modification of something I've been modifying for many
years, some of the code was probably something I found somewhere or
other.

Cheers.
Jim

kea

Apr 11, 2010, 4:26:54 PM4/11/10
> But you all seem to say that compiling an isolated .tex file which is
> \includ'ed (or \input'ed) in the main file is a straightforward
> operation. However, all my \includ'ed or \input'ed .tex files simply
> contain text, eqs., etc., but no document preamble. Or, AFAIK, a
> document preamble is necessary for a compilation. So, how do you
> manage to compile them seperately?

Use the package docmute. When \includ'ing a document, it allows you to
ignore the document's preamble.

Merciadri Luca

Apr 11, 2010, 4:50:25 PM4/11/10

Merciadri Luca

Apr 11, 2010, 4:51:18 PM4/11/10

Merciadri Luca

Apr 11, 2010, 4:55:16 PM4/11/10

Rainer Goellner

Apr 11, 2010, 7:07:35 PM4/11/10
On 11.04.2010 11:19, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> A last point is that xpdf and other programs are nice, but they do not
> support the whole PDF standard as acroread (Acrobat Reader) does.

I suppose that's what you're asking for;
http://tug.ctan.org/info/?id=acroreloadpdf

HTH,
Rainer

Jim Diamond

Apr 11, 2010, 8:29:38 PM4/11/10
On 2010-04-11 at 17:55 ADT, Merciadri Luca <Luca.Me...@student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:

> Jim Diamond <Jim.D...@nospam.AcadiaU.ca> writes:
>
>> On 2010-04-10 at 19:48 ADT, Timothy Murphy <gayl...@eircom.net> wrote:
>>> Merciadri Luca wrote:

<snip>

>>> I do run pdflatex at the end, but unfortunately xpdf
>>> does not seem to share this property of xdvi.
>>
>> Not directly, but the version I am using has a '-reload' option.
>> So I have an emacs function which runs tex on the current buffer and
>> then tells xpdf to reload:
>>
>> (defun
>> tex-xpdf-view ()
>> "Run the TeX buffer through pdftex and view it with xpdf."
>> (interactive)
>>
>> (let ((tex-command "pdftex"))
>> (tex-buffer)
>> ;; Actually, use "show" to get a new acroread window, so
>> ;; that other acroread windows will not get glommed.
>> (tex-send-command
>> (concat "pgrep -f 'xpdf -remote tex' "
>> "&& xpdf -remote tex -reload"
>> "|| xpdf -remote tex "
>> (tex-append tex-print-file ".pdf &")))
>> )
>> )
>>
>> This is a modification of something I've been modifying for many
>> years, some of the code was probably something I found somewhere or
>> other.
> Nice! Any idea for acroread?

Good question. I had no solution before you asked, but now I do.
Given that I was only using xpdf because acroread didn't do what I
want, I'm glad you asked.

Acroread 9.x (at least on Linux) allows you to reload the file by
typing ^R in the acroread window.

It turns out that a quick web search turns up
http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/support/xpdfopen/
which is a program that does the right thing for AR 7 and 8.

A couple of minutes modifying the program makes it work for AR 9.

Robin, are you listening? If so, given that the package appears to
have been submitted to CTAN by Taco Hoekwater, what are the procedures
for submitting updates?

Jim

Aaron W. Hsu

Apr 11, 2010, 11:56:56 PM4/11/10
Merciadri Luca <Luca.Me...@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:

>But you all seem to say that compiling an isolated .tex file which is
>\includ'ed (or \input'ed) in the main file is a straightforward
>operation. However, all my \includ'ed or \input'ed .tex files simply
>contain text, eqs., etc., but no document preamble. Or, AFAIK, a
>document preamble is necessary for a compilation. So, how do you
>manage to compile them seperately?

The way I do this is to actually have a check at the beginning of my
macro files that checks whether it has already been loaded or not.
That way, I can include the macro file in every one of my documents,
which means that each document is independently compilable of one
another, but I can still combine them as if they were just chunks.

Just another solution.

Javier Bezos

Apr 12, 2010, 2:42:36 AM4/12/10
kea escribió:

An alternative to this problem is subdocs. With it, each chapter
can be a standalone tex file, with its own preamble and its own
pdf file. What it does is to share the aux files. I'd used it for
year and recently I put it on CTAN.

Javier
-----------------
http://www-tex.tipografia.com

Joris

Apr 12, 2010, 6:40:00 AM4/12/10

That looks like a great package, which I'll certainly try to use.
Thanks for sharing it. Are you planning on adding hyperref support?

Best,

J.

Merciadri Luca

Apr 12, 2010, 10:47:25 AM4/12/10

Olaf Dietrich

Apr 12, 2010, 12:03:39 PM4/12/10
Merciadri Luca <Luca.Me...@student.ulg.ac.be>:

> David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> writes:
>> Merciadri Luca <Luca.Me...@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:
>>
>>> I know, the title is not explicit. Actually, it often happens that one
>>> compiles a .tex document for a minor modification of the file, but
>>> simply to see the effect of the modification (or at least to see if it
>>> still compile!). I know that there are plenty options to make the
>>> compilation process quicker (e.g. by omitting the pictures, etc.), but
>>> is there any editor which allows one to quickly switch between the
>>> output (pdf) and the input (tex), where only the modified part of the
>>> tex, is reintegrated in the PDF?
>>>
>> For the purpose of checking particular constructs like math,
>> preview-latex
>> <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/preview-latex.html> might fit
>> your workflow well.
> Clearly. I adopt it, as I like emacs. :-)

You might also like "whizzytex" <URL:http://cristal.inria.fr/whizzytex/>,
which gives you online feedback of your modifications in, e.g., xpdf.

Olaf

David Kastrup

Apr 12, 2010, 12:16:18 PM4/12/10
o...@dtrx.de (Olaf Dietrich) writes:

Personally, I did not really fancy it. Part of my problem was that I
found it hard to configure properly: half of the time I tried
demonstrating a current version on some conference, I figured that the
version I had stopped working, or did not cooperate with my document.

IIRC, you should really be using its own advi viewer ("Active-DVI") for
best results.

Also, because it does not set the document from the start, it does not
provide a reliable preview of page breaks, and page break checking is
the most important area where a separate previewer is really required
and preview-latex is useless.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention: with small documents (or compiled
regions), it is a viable option to just load the PDF file itself into
Emacs. Current versions of Emacs can display small PDF files reasonably
well. Sometimes that's the easiest way to avoid juggling additional
windows around.

tom lewton

Apr 12, 2010, 2:58:43 PM4/12/10
On 11 Apr 2010 at 16:51, David Kastrup wrote:
> Merciadri Luca <Luca.Me...@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:
>> David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> writes:
>>> I should think that they can afford better personnel than that.
>>> Sometimes a petty goat is just a petty goat.
>>
>> Happy to hear such comments. When I looked at the increasing number of
>> messages he (`tom lewton') was globally writing on Usenet, I thought
>> that writing so many messages in such a small amount of time could
>> only be possible if the messages contained uninteresting remarks from
>> him, or simply garbage!
>
> That's interesting. I don't remember seeing much here (or elsewhere)
> apart from complaints about me, so that appeared to be a rather limited
> topic and interest. Certainly nothing that could amount significantly
> for "so many messages in such a small amount of time".
>
> If you see prolific messages of him elsewhere, I am rather sure that
> they would have other topics than you find him writing about here.

that's because luca's message is complete bullshit. a lie, a personal
slur, nothing more.

i have very little time any more to post to usenet, i only post a couple
times a year nowadays, mostly when something really pisses me off and no
one else has already pointed it out.

> Oh, and one word regarding trying out preview-latex (which will send
> our good Mr lewton foaming at the mouth again): there is no physical
> dependency or commitment involved.

(rest of the advertisement snipped)

i have nothing against you or emacs or preview-latex. you seem to be a
bit paranoid if you take my remarks personally.

there are some modern concepts you should look up: full disclosure and
conflict of interest.

if you said upfront: "hey, i'm the maintainer of preview-latex and i
make money from support contracts for it. with that disclaimer out of
the way, i think you'd find it a good solution to your problems", then i
don't think anyone would really mind.

it's the dishonesty of suggesting it as if you are a completely
neutral observer with no vested interest that annoys me.

tom lewton

Apr 12, 2010, 3:03:11 PM4/12/10
On 11 Apr 2010 at 14:58, Robin Fairbairns wrote:
> On 2010-04-11, tom lewton <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> you may want to bear in mind that kastrup has a vested interest in
>> plugging preview-latex. he also has a long history of posting
>> advertisements for his products in this group without pointing out that
>> he stands to gain finanically from them - as in this case.
>
> how does he stand to gain financially? it's all free software, after
> all. this isn't microcruft world we're talking about, is it[*]?

i use free software myself, i have never used windows in my life.

i don't object to kastrup making money from free software (though i
think he's being a bit coy when he downplays the amout - i doubt either
of us could afford to pay for many days at his consulting rate) - it's
the dishonesty in pushing software he has a financial interest in
without declaring that interest.

>> there was a time when he used to post technical content to ctt as well -
>> now that's dried up and almost all his posts do nothing but push some
>> program of his or other.
>
> you silly little man. you plainly don't read the group enough, or
> perhaps you have some curiously tinted glasses.

five years ago, hardly a day went by without a technical post from
kastrup - often arrogant and caustic, but with technical content.

nowadays, his technical input is negligible - a post or two a month at
the most.

>> of course, if you want to encourage a spammer by acting on his
>> advertisements, that's up to you.
>
> oh do shut up and go away.

you really need to pull your head out of kastrup's ass. he's a smart guy
but you don't need to worship the ground he walks on.

Martin Heller

Apr 12, 2010, 3:40:09 PM4/12/10
tom lewton wrote:

> five years ago, hardly a day went by without a technical post from
> kastrup - often arrogant and caustic, but with technical content.
>
> nowadays, his technical input is negligible - a post or two a month at
> the most.

Why don't you just add David Kastrup to your killfile if his posts
bother you that much? We are many readers of comp.text.tex that benefit
from his posts and appreciate his inputs.

Juhapekka Tolvanen

Apr 12, 2010, 4:31:35 PM4/12/10

David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> writes:

> Merciadri Luca <Luca.Me...@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:
>
>> I know, the title is not explicit. Actually, it often happens that one
>> compiles a .tex document for a minor modification of the file, but
>> simply to see the effect of the modification (or at least to see if it
>> still compile!). I know that there are plenty options to make the
>> compilation process quicker (e.g. by omitting the pictures, etc.), but
>> is there any editor which allows one to quickly switch between the
>> output (pdf) and the input (tex), where only the modified part of the
>> tex, is reintegrated in the PDF?
>>

>> I assume that it is not the case, but who knows?

> For the purpose of checking particular constructs like math,
> preview-latex
> <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/preview-latex.html> might fit
> your workflow well.
>

> A more traditional approach is using SyncTeX which comes from TeXshop or
> some similar MacOSX environment I don't remember, but is also supported
> by AUCTeX <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/index.html>.

BTW can you explain, what is this:

% pdflatex --help
(Clip)
-ipc send DVI output to a socket as well as the usual
output file
-ipc-start as -ipc, and also start the server at the other end
(Clip)

Is it possible to use them?

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * http colon slash slash iki dot fi slash juhtolv
"Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur."

Juhapekka Tolvanen

Apr 12, 2010, 4:48:32 PM4/12/10

Timothy Murphy <gayl...@eircom.net> writes:

> Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Not really an answer, but under Linux (Fedora)
> I latex in one window, and run xdvi in another.
> The xdvi output changes automagically when the .tex file is changed
> and re-latexed.

> I do run pdflatex at the end, but unfortunately xpdf

> does not seem to share this property of xdvi.

If you use Okular as your PDF-reader, it can detect, when a PDF-file it is
showing has changed on disk and then it reloads that file automagically.
Right now I do not remember, if Evince can do the same. Basically, Okular
is default PDF-viewer in latest version of KDE and Evince is its
counterpart in Gnome. But both of them can view many other files, too.

Robin Fairbairns

Apr 12, 2010, 5:34:06 PM4/12/10

i know david. i've as little eagerness to investigate his insides as
i have to worship anything.

if we all detailed our relationships with (la)tex in every post in
which we made a recommendation, this newsgroup would become tedious in
the extreme. you don't need to know that i've been to three tug
meetings on other people's money, or that the university supports my
tex activities substantially, or that i've had lots of contributions
to the faq that have made my life easier (the list runs to 80 lines of
the faq source), or that i've written code for two different
publishers, for which i was paid, ...

well, it who wants to knowl that stuff? even once? i bet you're
deeply fed up with reading it. why should we care what david does to
earn his living?

what anyone does to earn their living?

take your imagination and your paranoia off the boil and calm down.
you _know_ it makes sense.
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge

Javier Bezos

Apr 13, 2010, 3:49:36 AM4/13/10
Joris escribió:

>> An alternative to this problem is subdocs. With it, each chapter
>> can be a standalone tex file, with its own preamble and its own
>> pdf file. What it does is to share the aux files. I'd used it for

[...]

> That looks like a great package, which I'll certainly try to use.
> Thanks for sharing it. Are you planning on adding hyperref support?

It's planned. The question is when.

Javier
-----------------------------
http://www.tex-tipografia.com

Joris

Apr 13, 2010, 7:25:43 AM4/13/10

Thanks! That would make it a lot more attractive still.

Giacomo Boffi

Apr 14, 2010, 5:53:55 AM4/14/10
Merciadri Luca <Luca.Me...@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:

> I know, the title is not explicit. Actually, it often happens that one
> compiles a .tex document for a minor modification of the file, but
> simply to see the effect of the modification (or at least to see if it
> still compile!)

i haven't read all of the thread and i don't know if someone else
proposed the same reference but a solution to your problem is clearly
exposed somewhere in the beginning of "Using LaTeX to Write a PhD
Thesis" by Nicola Talbot

http://theoval.cmp.uea.ac.uk/~nlct/latex/thesis/thesis_a4.pdf

moreover, Talbot concisely addresses different problem areas that may
be of interest to you
vabbu� parliamo d'altro -- Agnosco, in IFQ