Wanted: cmr36.mf

Piet Tutelaers

Sep 19, 1990, 10:33:09 AM9/19/90
Can somebody provide me with the parameters needed to generate a true size 36 points
version of the computer modern TeX font? I need it to demonstrate the difference between
the 12 point font three times enlarged and a true size font on a overhead sheet.

uucp: rc...@urc.tue.nl | Piet Tutelaers Room RC 1.82
bitnet: rc...@heithe5.BITNET | Eindhoven University of Technology
phone: +31 (0)40 474541 | P.O. Box 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, NL

Hosek, Donald A.

Sep 19, 1990, 4:39:36 PM9/19/90
In article <4...@rc6.urc.tue.nl>, rc...@rc6.urc.tue.nl (Piet Tutelaers) writes...

>Can somebody provide me with the parameters needed to generate a true size 36 points
>version of the computer modern TeX font? I need it to demonstrate the difference between
>the 12 point font three times enlarged and a true size font on a overhead sheet.

Well, interpolating parameters (cf. John Sauter's MF code available
from ymir.claremont.edu in [anonymous.tex.mf.cm.sauter]) gives a
rather anemic result. Some people at WSU created a set of MF
parameter files, I believe, independently of Sauter's work for
"standard" sizes of CM (e.g., 14, 18, 24, 36pt) that may look
better (I've never MF'd these, myself). These files are on
ymir.claremont.edu in [anonymous.tex.mf.cm.variants].

I personally feel that magnified CM is the proper thing to use for
display sizes of type (cmr17 has proportions that are beautiful for
setting extensive passages of text, but be honest, when's the last
time you've typeset a paper in 17pt?). The better comparison would
be, say, the traditional cmr5 at 10pt vs. cmr10 or maybe cmr10 at
17.28 vs. cmr17 (although don't blame me if people claim the former
looks better).

-dh

---
Don Hosek TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont support, consulting
dho...@ymir.claremont.edu installation and production work.
dho...@ymir.bitnet Free Estimates.
uunet!jarthur!ymir Phone: 714-625-0147
finger dho...@ymir.claremont.edu for more info