looking for Interleaf

jang...@yahoo.com

Aug 17, 2005, 12:22:38 PM8/17/05
Hi Interleafers,
I received some interleaf document (*.idu) that I need to convert and
translate. I don't have the program and cannot locate it on the net. Is
there someone who wants to sell his copy to help me out for this one
time job?
We will agree upon the price.

Thanks for you feedback

Jan Gosen
(jang...@yahoo.com)

Udo Roskothen

Aug 18, 2005, 6:21:12 AM8/18/05
Jan,

you want to translate into an other language?

If you are a translator, you shurley will use a TM like Trados, Star Transit
or any other.
For Trados you need Interleaf Ascii files to run through S-Tagger.

Ask your customer for Interleaf Ascii files,.Ask for a zip file of the
complete directroy and not an idu!
Then you filter the files and translate it with Trados, filter back, copy
the *.ildoc back to the source files and your customer has to controll the
layout. If he did his work well, this is not much work for an Interleaf
user.

There is a similar way with Transit Star.

If you use other TM systems: you can only hack the ascii files. But this is
very hard work, because you have to handle very carefull the tags and
graphics! So better leave it and make it without TM. (If you like the risk,
try to hack the IDU file, which is in ascii format, do some changes and try
to unidu by your customer - never tested it, but it could be possible) If
you do not use a TM and use only Interleaf, you will lost a lot of money on
this job.

Udo

d...@tut.by

Aug 18, 2005, 11:00:01 AM8/18/05
tell me please, where I can download the interleaf program

d...@tut.by

Aug 18, 2005, 11:01:27 AM8/18/05
tell me please, where I can download the interleaf programm??

Dick Margulis

Aug 18, 2005, 11:10:15 AM8/18/05

d...@tut.by wrote:

> tell me please, where I can download the interleaf programm??

You can't.

Jim Knoll

Nov 7, 2005, 8:29:56 AM11/7/05
Dick Margulis <marg...@comcast.net> writes:

>d...@tut.by wrote:

>You can't.

Why not??

I have a copy of Ileaf 6.4 on CD. Is there a reason why I could not
convert it to an ISO file and put it on a web site for others to use.
The company Interleaf is gone....now Broadvision is gone and I assume
their version of Interleaf, Broadvision Quicksilver is gone too.

I also have Ileaf 5.x on floppies...I would assume I could post those
floppies on a web site somewhere for others to use.

I have to believe that the original copyright on Interleaf 6.4 and 5.x
is gone...expired....yada yada....

Why not share a great thing...we need to resurrect Ileaf and get that
horrible program called FrameMaker outta here.....

-Jimbo

Dick Margulis

Nov 7, 2005, 8:51:07 AM11/7/05

Jimbo,

Broadvision is gone? Their Web site is alive and well, and they list
Quicksilver as a current product. If there is news on this front, please
share. I've certainly known Web sites to persist awhile after the
companies they belonged to had vanished. So it's possible you're
correct. Do you have any hard information?

In any case, I'm afraid that your posting your copy of the software
would expose you to significant legal risk. Copyrights don't expire just
because companies do. The appropriate recourse, if Broadvision has in
fact gone belly up is for the escrow holder to release the code to
licensees, one of whom might be smart enough to release it for
maintenance by the open source community. And even that might be
problematic, depending on the status of Broadvision as an entity.

Dick

Jim Knoll

Nov 7, 2005, 2:07:23 PM11/7/05
Dick Margulis <marg...@comcast.net> writes:

>Jimbo,

>Dick

Dick,

Regarding Broadvision, I was going by the fact that the company could no
longer be traded on the market because its share price fell below one
dollar for the (I think) three month period. Then the company called
Vector Capital was going to buy the outstanding shares of Broadvison for
some form of restructuring.

Just now I found this site:
http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=14325&sector=Industries&subsector=Computing that states the buyout of Broadvision by Vector Capital might not
happen. The article is dated Nov 4, 2005. And Broadvision might now be
forced into bankruptcy. Not a good deal all around.

Thanks for the heads up on posting a copy of Interleaf 6.4 for others to
use. I don't fully understand the licensing issues surrounding doing
that because the product is no longer being made or sold in that form.
Plus only executables would be posted, not binaries....

I for one am sick of the "closedness" of Interleaf over the years. It is
the best darn electronic publishing pkg out there..bar none. But it has
been kept from the proper hands and has very limited exposure to the
people that could use it. Instead this stupid thing called FrameMaker
has risen to the top because it is the only choice out there.

I wish someone would rescue Interleaf. I bought stock in the company
just after the IPO back in the 1980s. I loved the product but it was not
marketed well at all. It would be fun if all that changed and it went
open say under Linux or something....

Cheers...

-Jim

Dick Margulis

Nov 7, 2005, 2:32:50 PM11/7/05

Jim,

Thanks for posting the news about Broadvision. I can't say I'm surprised
because, as you say, Interleaf marketing has been a comedy of errors
(no, make that a tragedy of errors) from the get-go.

I do hope that there is an escrow version of the source and that someone
figures out a way to make it publicly available so it can be maintained,
as I said, by the open source community. It would truly be a shame for
it to become permanently unavailable because of a series of management
blunders.

However, in a bankruptcy there are creditors. And the creditors take
control of the assets, including intellectual property. So I suspect it
may be quite some time before Interleaf enters the public domain,
unfortunately.

Dick

Jim Knoll

Nov 7, 2005, 6:13:21 PM11/7/05
Dick Margulis <marg...@comcast.net> writes:

>Jim,

>Dick

Dick,

Possibly someone with DEEP pockets could buy the rights to Interleaf
from the creditors and release it to the open source public domain? We
can only pray and wait.

I love Interleaf.... : - )

-Jim

Ewald Muessig

Apr 27, 2006, 3:19:00 PM4/27/06
Hello,

BroadVision is alive and owns the rights on QuickSilver (called Interleaf up
to V7).

Currently there is a beta test for QuickSilver 3.0 - with support for
Unicode.
So, there's no need to switch to FrameMaker - QuickSilver is alive!

Ewald

---
digitalML
XML Evolution Management

"Jim Knoll" <jkn...@visi.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Jim Knoll

May 2, 2006, 11:09:20 AM5/2/06
"Ewald Muessig" <emue...@yahoo.de> writes:

So then how does the "common person" buy a copy of QuickSilver. Is it
still price prohibitive for the average person or is its price being
restructured to compete with "Frame Stinker?"

Thanks...

-Jim