NoteFlex

John Kennedy

Nov 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/6/98
I recently purchased a used NoteFlex DX4 100. Seems to work ok but had
no manual. I hope someone can answer the following:

1. The function keys serve dual purpose in combination with the Fn key.
Most are obvious but I haven't figured out F3, F4, the faucets with a
drip or a gush. Thought they could be charge rate or turbo but haven't
seen difference.
2. When I run Wintune, it detects a 486 DX 100 but the CPU performance
is really slow, 30 - 34. If my memory serves that is about a third what
my old DX 100 (not a laptop) rated. Wintune suggested that it was not in
turbo mode or BIOS settings were incorrect or that the APM settings were
too conservative. Changed the APM to most aggressive and had no change.
I have used Fn F5 and Alt Ctrl Ins but found no way to change BIOS
settings or even to find what they were.

3. On the left side, near the hinge, is a rectangular opening that has
an icon that looks like a chain. What is it?

Thanks in advance

John

Walter Gray

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98

:
:1. The function keys serve dual purpose in combination with the Fn key.
:Most are obvious but I haven't figured out F3, F4, the faucets with a
:drip or a gush. Thought they could be charge rate or turbo but haven't
:seen difference.

On earlier machines Zenith used to use those keys for normal/turbo.
If you aren't running the original Zenith OEM DOS/Windows these keys
probably won't work.

:2. When I run Wintune, it detects a 486 DX 100 but the CPU performance

:is really slow, 30 - 34. If my memory serves that is about a third what
:my old DX 100 (not a laptop) rated. Wintune suggested that it was not in
:turbo mode or BIOS settings were incorrect or that the APM settings were
:too conservative. Changed the APM to most aggressive and had no change.
:I have used Fn F5 and Alt Ctrl Ins but found no way to change BIOS
:settings or even to find what they were.

See above.

:
:3. On the left side, near the hinge, is a rectangular opening that has

:an icon that looks like a chain. What is it?

I would guess that's for a security chain.

Walter

Disclaimer: My employer is not responsible for this stuff.

Chuck

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
I have a znote flex and the fn+F3, F4 do work (it sent John Kennedy an
e-mail telling him that it didn't work on my machine either, I was mistaken)
I am running win98, I did reformat the harddrive about a month ago an loaded
win98. I have made a batch file (actually 2) that I use to run my battery
down, it runs in dos, and keeps running directories on my c:\ drive when I
hit turbo it is considerably faster than no turbo.

John Kennedy wrote in message <3643C4E7...@juno.com>...

>I recently purchased a used NoteFlex DX4 100. Seems to work ok but had
>no manual. I hope someone can answer the following:
>
>1. The function keys serve dual purpose in combination with the Fn key.
>Most are obvious but I haven't figured out F3, F4, the faucets with a
>drip or a gush. Thought they could be charge rate or turbo but haven't
>seen difference.

>2. When I run Wintune, it detects a 486 DX 100 but the CPU performance
>is really slow, 30 - 34. If my memory serves that is about a third what
>my old DX 100 (not a laptop) rated. Wintune suggested that it was not in
>turbo mode or BIOS settings were incorrect or that the APM settings were
>too conservative. Changed the APM to most aggressive and had no change.
>I have used Fn F5 and Alt Ctrl Ins but found no way to change BIOS
>settings or even to find what they were.
>

>3. On the left side, near the hinge, is a rectangular opening that has
>an icon that looks like a chain. What is it?
>

>Thanks in advance
>
>John

Walter Gray

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
In article <6rogqg3...@belhaven.spider.com>, ia...@spider.com (Iain A F Fleming) writes:
:
:The entity calling itself Walter Gray wrote:
:>
:> In article <3643C4E7...@juno.com>, John Kennedy <kenn...@juno.com> writes:
:> :1. The function keys serve dual purpose in combination with the Fn key.

:> :Most are obvious but I haven't figured out F3, F4, the faucets with a
:> :drip or a gush. Thought they could be charge rate or turbo but haven't
:> :seen difference.
:>
:> On earlier machines Zenith used to use those keys for normal/turbo.

:> If you aren't running the original Zenith OEM DOS/Windows these keys
:> probably won't work.
:
:I beg to disagree: my Mastersport 386SL runs Linux and these
:keys still work - they set the processor speed to 5MHz and
:20Mhz, all without the aid of DOS or Windows.
:
:Of course, it may well be different for the NoteFlex.

I should have said my knowledge in these matters is limited to
MSDOS. Could it be that Linux is better written than MSDOS?

(surely not :)