WTD: Unisys MPE 56081 EISA SCU utility and files

Doug McPherson

May 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/19/97

Hi all,

I've just bought a 2nd hand Unisys MPE 56081 PC.

Its an EISA bus, Pentium 60 on board ATI Mach32 graphics and Adaptec
aic7770 scsi.

I don't have the EISA setup utility (SCU), or related files. The ovl and
cfg files would be fine, as I can probably get some other version of the
SCU elsewhere (I'm assuming the utility itself is generic !).

Any information or other files (eg Flash BIOS) for this machine would be
most appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug.

Martin Cryer

May 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/19/97

FYI,

For your search, the MPE56081 was also sold as the U6000/300. The 486
version was sold as the U6000/100. They all used the same basic ECU/SCU
programs (.EXE files), but with differing config .CFG files. The .OVL
files MAY be the same but I doubt it. I used to configure my U6000/300
(and U6000/500 Model 20 - the dual CPU version of the U6000/300) with a
U6000/35 ECU/SCU software set, I just used the new .CFG and .OVL files.

The BIOS load utility diskette was different between the 486 and P5
versions, you have the P5 version so you must have the correct diskette.

Now, word to the wise, these systems were based upon a very buggy EISA
chipset from TI, the TACT84500. Also, the system motherboard, the
processor board and evene the memoy board had all kinds of latent bugs
in them. The systems have a notorious habit of hanging and crashing. One
particular trouble maker is the CPU board to motherboad connectors. Make
sure everything is screwed down real tight.

The system wasn't particularly fast, the U6000/500 Model 20 used the
full 64 bit wide memory and CPU bus connectors on the system board. The
MPE50681 only used a 32bit path to memory, slowing it up somewhat.

In my opion, I would only use the system for ammusement purposes. I
wouldn't trust it to have that good a level of data integrity. The
U6000/15/35 (also sold as MPE46881 systems) were MUCH more reliable -
real solid systems. The MPE50681 was in reality a disaster (foisted upon
everyone by the then typical bizzare Unisys management decision making
process). Nobody I knew involved in the project (I the SVR4/MP O/S
project leader for the MPE50681) was even remotely proud of the box. The
BIOS and O/S kludges for the much broken hardware were endless.
Stupidity like this was one of the first nails in the Unisys U6000
product ranges' coffin. The U5000/500 Model 20 carried this tradition
forwards... The U6000/200/400 systems were a huge improvement over the
100/300 series.

Anyway, good luck and backup everything.

All opinions my own etc etc

Martin