Linux on a Unisys U6000/dt2 -- Help please!

anti-spam email address

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

Like the subject says... Ok, here is what I know: video -- ATI Mach32 w/2MB
vram, integrated SCSI -- AIC 7770. Now on to what I really could use help
with... The integrated ethernet, don't know what it is and I don't have the
setup disks (got the machine stripped out & no disks of any sort) in order to
make any kind of configuration changes.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! I want to make this my
firewall for my home lan, and plan to install RedHat 4.(0 or 1 depending) on
it...

Please reply via email to: ahub...@borders.com (email address in header is
spam bait)

Thanks,

Andy H.

Michael Johansson

Feb 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/22/97
to ahub...@borders.com

anti-spam email address wrote:

> Like the subject says... Ok, here is what I know: video -- ATI Mach32 w/2MB
> vram, integrated SCSI -- AIC 7770. Now on to what I really could use help
> with... The integrated ethernet, don't know what it is and I don't have the
> setup disks (got the machine stripped out & no disks of any sort) in order to
> make any kind of configuration changes.

I don't know anything about the U6000/dt2 but I'am working with
other U6000s, they are servers and we are running SVR4 on them.

The video and SCSI should work (I think AIC7770 is an Adaptec
controller) but
I don't know about the ethernet, perhaps the label on the chip can give
some
information.

How about slackware ? You can download it from a lots of places,
ftp.cdrom.com, ftp.sunsite.edu.

Download a boot and a root image. Theere are several boot images
with support for different hardware. Put them on two diskettes using
rawrite.exe. Boot and you will see if it recognizes the ethernet card.
You can find a lot of information, readme and howto files, in the same
place.

Hope this help
Michael

michael....@kal.data.telia.se

mar...@inforamp.net

Feb 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/22/97

The DTs were basically Unisys PW2 PC's (forget the exact model) which
were sold to run Univel/Novell/SCO Unixware 1.x, 2.0.x.
I believe the in-built ethernet was an I596 (intel or Cogent).
You should have no problem running Linux on the thing. However if you
do,
you might want to try the free version of SCO Open Server availble from
SCO's site. They are also supposed to release a free version of UnixWare
but as yet havent't done so. Unixware will definately have all the
drivers for the DT.

mitch mocle
mmo...@phoenix.us.dg.com

anti-spam email address

Feb 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/24/97

Hey, Thanks for the info! I'm hoping for good luck, but haven't had the time
to give it a try as yet... I'll keep SCO in mind, but I perfer Linux over SCO
anyday.... (sorry, old prejudice against SCO... :)

anti-spam email address

Feb 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/24/97

In article <330F05C5...@kal.data.telia.se>, Michael Johansson <michael....@kal.data.telia.se> wrote:

{things deleted to conserve bandwidth}

>How about slackware ? You can download it from a lots of places,
>ftp.cdrom.com, ftp.sunsite.edu.

Well, thanks, but no, I tend to like RedHat more these days (I'm an old
slackware person myself)... But my main interest was in how to get the
built-in ethernet nic to work...

>Download a boot and a root image. Theere are several boot images
>with support for different hardware. Put them on two diskettes using
>rawrite.exe. Boot and you will see if it recognizes the ethernet card.
>You can find a lot of information, readme and howto files, in the same
>place.
>
>Hope this help
>Michael

>michael....@kal.data.telia.se

Thanks anyway.

Martin Cryer

Feb 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/24/97

Some of the DT systems had the Ethernet chip on the 486 CPU bus and some
had it on the EISA bus (coupled via a PLX 9020 device). In both cases
the device was an Intel i82596 coprocesor. If you run the ECU/SCU, you
will be able to see if the device is configured as a virtual EISA card
(ie it will occupy a slot outside the range of physical EISA slots) or
if it configured on the system bus. In the latter case it won't have an
EISA ID, and its configuration parameters will either be in the system
board configuration space (or an ECU overlay program will have given it
a slot without an EISA ID).

The video controller is an ATI 68XXX device and if I remember correctly
is on the EISA bus, even though it is built into the system board. Not
the best place for performance IMHO.

Beware, the DT2/3 like the U6000/100/300 and their associated PC models,
were based upon a horrid TI TACT 84500 EISA chipset. The chipset was
pretty buggy, and ... well you know the rest.

If you are porting an O/S to it, TI did do a developers guide to the
TACT 84500 chipset, it may be worth investigating. However, the boards
do have many additional configuration registers which override the TI
mapped registers.

Have fun.

Rgds - Martin Cryer
All opinions my own etc.