5 users the max 4 Xenix?

com...@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu

Mar 23, 1992, 10:08:18 PM3/23/92

Hi. Somebody please tell me, is there any way to get
more than 5 users on a 6000HD running Xenix? I've written
a multi-user bulletin board, and I have the multi-port card,
but I'm just curious to see if 5 users is the absolute limit,
and if so, why, if not, how do I get more?

Thanks for your help!
Jeff Peterson
Santa Barbara, CA

Richard E. Oakes

Mar 24, 1992, 10:06:17 AM3/24/92
com...@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu writes:

> Hi. Somebody please tell me, is there any way to get
>more than 5 users on a 6000HD running Xenix? I've written
>a multi-user bulletin board, and I have the multi-port card,
>but I'm just curious to see if 5 users is the absolute limit,
>and if so, why, if not, how do I get more?

I know that at one time there were MANY machines in this area with
8 users, simply by using a second multi-port board. I don't re-
member the dip-switch setting needed on the second board, and of
course /etc/ttys and /etc/ttytype would need editing to show the
additional ttys, 7-9. Supposedly, the number of slots would be
the only limit on the number of port cards, but memory would also
be required for each additional SIMULTANEOUS user, and that
requires the MMU mod and slots also.

I think I also heard about a third-party supplier that had an
8-port board, but have no other information on that. Sorry.

--
Rick Oakes CompuServe: 70475,333
Prodigy: VXNX33A

James T. Wyatt

Mar 24, 1992, 10:10:53 AM3/24/92
In article <38...@ucsbcsl.ucsb.edu> com...@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu writes:
> Hi. Somebody please tell me, is there any way to get
>more than 5 users on a 6000HD running Xenix? I've written
>a multi-user bulletin board, and I have the multi-port card,
>but I'm just curious to see if 5 users is the absolute limit,
>and if so, why, if not, how do I get more?

I just put a second 3 port serial board in and made the tty entries. I had
to add entries in /dev for the ttys, add lines to /etc/ttys and /etc/ttytype
for them, and enable them. The manual doesn't say so, I think but the switch
setting is easy for the second board, it's the second switch. Are you using
the four or three port serial board?
--
James Wyatt KA5VJL j...@rwsys.lonestar.org Semper Gumbi - always flexible!

Gordon Burditt

Mar 24, 1992, 1:17:19 PM3/24/92
> Hi. Somebody please tell me, is there any way to get
>more than 5 users on a 6000HD running Xenix? I've written

You can have two 3-port cards. Or, you could quit using your 3-port
card and get 2 4-port cards, if you can find them. This makes 9 or
11 users (including the console). (The version of z80ctl required
to use 4-port boards is in /usr/lib/m6010.tar in the 03.02.00 development
system upgrade).

The 3-port boards have DB-25 connectors that are wired to be used with
a straight-through cable to a terminal (unlike the built-in SIO ports
which are wired to be used with a straight-through cable to a modem).
Use a "crossover" cable to connect a 3-port card to a modem or a
SIO port to a terminal.

The wiring for 4-port cards is documented in /usr/lib/m6010.tar, which
you need to use them.

Gordon L. Burditt
sneaky.lonestar.org!gordon

John Dormer

Mar 25, 1992, 1:46:12 PM3/25/92

Ok, now we know how to do this in 3.02.00, but is there any major difference
to do thisextra serial port addition under 3.01.00 (I have it in my living
room, don't know if it works, and can't find out until I make an upgrade to my
16b to make it a 6000 from what I understand). Will that file in /usr/lib/z6*
be the same?

: John Dormer
: Purdue Daemons
: j...@expert.cc.purdue.edu