Tandy/Radio Shack Printers

George Klimes

May 24, 1989, 10:02:30 AM5/24/89
I currently own two Radio Shack printers, the DMP-200 and the CGP-220.
What I would like to know is if there are equivalent printers with
different names (from different manufacturers). What I'd like to know is
if I can use my printers (from my Tandy 3000HL) with software drivers for
other printers from the various software packages out there that do not
mention these printers as being supported.

I have a particular interest in my CGP-220 since it is a color ink jet
printer (great for drawing programs) and right now only Micro Illustrator,
which runs on my Tandy 1000, seems to utilize it.

Please understand that I am not referring to text-only output. I really
care about graphics. I realize that neither has IBM's character set for
ASCII codes above 127. But I would like to get more out of these printers,
especially the CGP-220. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--- George Klimes
Graduate Student
George Mason University

BITNET =====> GKLIMES@GMUVAX
INTERNET ===> GKL...@GMU90X.GMU.EDU or GKL...@GMUVAX.GMU.EDU

Joe Applegate

May 24, 1989, 12:19:33 PM5/24/89
In article <19...@gmu90x.UUCP>, gkl...@gmu90x.UUCP (George Klimes) writes:
> I have a particular interest in my CGP-220 since it is a color ink jet
> printer (great for drawing programs) and right now only Micro Illustrator,
> which runs on my Tandy 1000, seems to utilize it.

Actually, I have found two other programs that work on the CGP-220... The
old version of Z-Soft Paintbrush distributed with the MS Mouse... and
Pizass Plus... unfortunately Pizass Plus does not support the 16 color
graphics modes of the 1000 or color on the CGP-220!

The CGP-220 was actually made for Tandy by Canon... and a similar printer
was sold by IBM, Canon, and Brother... all but the Tandy were compatible...
I have several programs that support all but the Tandy... once again
Tandy arrogance and refusal to conform to industry standards has screwed the
consumer... for the most part my CGP-220 has been a waste... I use it
a couple of times a year to make cards or invites for my kids to send out
and thats about all...

Recently, I got a copy of the windows DDK and have at least started to look
into developing a windows driver for it... if I get it working I will
probably post it here... That's the trick with Tandy computers... the users
have to support them cause Tandy doesn't care about anything but SALES SALES
SALES!

- Joe Applegate -

======================STANDARD DISCLAIMER============================
All views and opinions are my own and do not represent the views or
opinions of the Colorado School of Mines, whatever they might be.

Rich Strebendt

May 25, 1989, 6:45:35 PM5/25/89
In article <19...@gmu90x.UUCP>, gkl...@gmu90x.UUCP (George Klimes) writes:
> I currently own two Radio Shack printers, the DMP-200 and the CGP-220.
> What I would like to know is if there are equivalent printers with
> different names (from different manufacturers). What I'd like to know is
> if I can use my printers (from my Tandy 3000HL) with software drivers for
> other printers from the various software packages out there that do not
> mention these printers as being supported.

I also own a Tandy DMP-200 which I now have hooked up to a 386 box. It is fine
for ASCII, but not for graphics. The reason is simply that this printer
supports a standard that Tandy defined years ago for printers in its product
line. Unfortunately, this standard is not compatible with the more recent
interfaces defined by various manufacturers for use with MSDOS boxes. Unless
the package you are using supports this Tandy standard, the printer cannot be
used for graphics for that package. Even if you found that the printer had
been manufactured for Tandy by a well known printer vendor, it would have been
manufactured to Tandy's specifications and standards, not the usual ones for
that vendor.

Rich Strebendt
...!att!ihlpj!res

John Munsch

May 26, 1989, 10:22:47 AM5/26/89
The hardware of the CGP220 is identical to the Canon 1080A (which I believe is
still sold) but that won't help you any because it has completely different
software in its rom. Amiga drivers for the Canon wouldn't work for the CGP so
I had to roll my own.

What might help you is a package called Pizazz Plus. They have an add on page
229 of the June 13, 1989 issue of PC Magazine and basically all their product
does is print graphics. One of the printers that they specifically mention
having support for is the CGP220. See if this will do what you want.

Otherwise, you are probably stuck unless you want to write the printing
software yourself. The CGP is very easy to write for and if you know C and
you know the file format of what you are trying to print then you should be
able to crank out a driver with ease. Let me know if this is the route you
want to take and I'll post some suggestions on how to dither with that
particular printer.

John Munsch

Leonard Erickson

May 27, 1989, 3:37:36 AM5/27/89
<
<I have a particular interest in my CGP-220 since it is a color ink jet
<printer (great for drawing programs) and right now only Micro Illustrator,
<which runs on my Tandy 1000, seems to utilize it.

Well, the CGP-220 looks suspiciously like a Quadram Quadjet. But I
rather doubt they are compatible at the level you need (but I'd bet
the ink cartridges are interchangeable!)

The problem is best described by reffering to my DMP-2100. This printer is
for all practical purposes, a Toshiba (p-351?) with A DIFFERENT SET OF ROMS!
The ROMs are the problem. Tandy printers without IBM emulation modes are
essentially useless for graphics except with software that supports Tandy
grapics.

I do have a couple of programs that will let you use an older Tandy printer
with the version of PrintShop that supports the newer Tandy printers. (No
program would be necessary if they hadn't "kludged" the Tandy support. PS
Goes into graphics mode, prints a line of graphics, goes *out* of graphics
mode, sends codes to do the right kind of partial linefeed (which aren't
valid for older Tandy printers like my DMP-500), goes back into graphics
mode, prints another line of graphics, etc... all they *really* needed to do
is go into graphics mode, send a line of graphics data, do a CR/LF, send
the next line of data... and then exit graphics mode at the end of the printout.. <sigh>

--
Leonard Erickson ...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]

Doug Davis

May 29, 1989, 4:15:21 PM5/29/89
In article <14...@bucket.UUCP> leo...@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) writes:
>The problem is best described by reffering to my DMP-2100. This printer is
>for all practical purposes, a Toshiba (p-351?) with A DIFFERENT SET OF ROMS!
>The ROMs are the problem. Tandy printers without IBM emulation modes are
>essentially useless for graphics except with software that supports Tandy
>grapics.

Gosh, IBM printers without Tandy emulation modes are essentially useless
for graphics, expect with software that support IBM graphics.

Remeber folks, Tandy had the "Tandy" standard long before PC's were a
gleam in IBM's eye.

Now will someone tell me how to make my 2Mhz model 4 run at four, "Just
by raising a pin." ;-)

doug
---
Doug Davis/LawNet/1030 Pleasant Valley Lane/Arlington/Texas/76015/817-467-3740
{sys1.tandy.com, motown!sys1, uiucuxc!sys1 lawnet, killer, texbell} letni!doug

Patricia A. Korn

May 30, 1989, 11:55:01 AM5/30/89
Actually the CGP-220 is not quite identical in hardware to the Canon,
though it is very similar. Careful inspection reveals a few small
differences. It is true that the ROMS are quite different, but we
tried swapping the ROM in the Canon with one from a CGP-220, and the
Canon still would not work like a CGP-220.

Pat Korn

Leonard Erickson

May 31, 1989, 2:16:43 AM5/31/89
In article <34...@letni.LawNet.Com> do...@letni.LawNet.Com (Doug Davis) writes:
<In article <14...@bucket.UUCP> leo...@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) writes:
<>The problem is best described by reffering to my DMP-2100. This printer is
<>for all practical purposes, a Toshiba (p-351?) with A DIFFERENT SET OF ROMS!
<>The ROMs are the problem. Tandy printers without IBM emulation modes are
<>essentially useless for graphics except with software that supports Tandy
<>grapics.
I should have said "except with the RARE software that supports Tandy
graphic PROPERLY.

<Gosh, IBM printers without Tandy emulation modes are essentially useless
<for graphics, expect with software that support IBM graphics.
<
<Remeber folks, Tandy had the "Tandy" standard long before PC's were a
<gleam in IBM's eye.

What I want to know is why all the programs that claim to support Tandy
printers either only support them in IBM mode (whoopee! so they just use
the IBM driver again... big deal..) or else only support the models that
already have IBM emulation.

Sure I can buy a new Epson. But I can't afford on as fast as either my DMP-500
or DMP-2100. And The nearest equivalent I can find to the CGP-220 is an HP
Paintjet at $1k! :-(

Joe Applegate

May 31, 1989, 11:38:10 AM5/31/89
In article <8...@spudge.UUCP>, jo...@spudge.UUCP (John Munsch) writes:

> What might help you is a package called Pizazz Plus. They have an add on page
> 229 of the June 13, 1989 issue of PC Magazine and basically all their product
> does is print graphics. One of the printers that they specifically mention
> having support for is the CGP220. See if this will do what you want.

Unfortunately Pizass Plus does not support any Tandy video modes or COLOR on
the CGP-220... but then this is typical... the industry will not support
Tandy standards because Tandy historically refuses to release numbers on
various machines sold or sell third party software in their stores...

The exception to this has been the game market for the 1000... Lately Tandy has
begun selling quite a few games through it's stores and as a result many games
now support the 1000 graphics... unfortunately I did not buy my 1000 for games,
I already had a Coco with over 400 games (less than 20 were Tandy!), and most
of the Coco games are better than MSDOS ones anyway...

But for real computer users the Tandy graphics is a nice and relatively un-
supported feature... and Tandy specific printers are worthless...

Joe Applegate

May 31, 1989, 5:31:22 PM5/31/89
Just noting that today when I got my update package for Wordstar 5.5
I noticed that they now support the CGP-220 (along with quite a few
other Tandy printers) and even in color!

On the bad side they don't support graphics captures in Tandy graphics
modes or on Tandy printers...

Too bad there's not a neighborhood computer store that sells industry
standard equiptment... we could call them Computer Hut's and find quality
merchandise at a competative price, that really works with our software...
nahh... some marketing clown would find away to drive them out of business...

Doug Davis

Jun 1, 1989, 2:39:17 AM6/1/89
In article <15...@csm9a.UUCP> japp...@csm9a.UUCP (Joe Applegate) writes:
>Unfortunately Pizass Plus does not support any Tandy video modes or COLOR on
>the CGP-220... but then this is typical... the industry will not support
>Tandy standards because Tandy historically refuses to release numbers on
>various machines sold or sell third party software in their stores...
Oh, No? Then I guess the "1988 Express Order Catalog" that I have
right here, that is WRITTEN by tandy, PUBLISHED by tandy, and available
free of charge in your local TANDY computer center, subject to availability.
Is just a figment of my imagination? That must meen that the 300+ Pages
with an average of 7 Third party peices of software per-page must *ALSO*
be a figment of my imagination? Perhaps if you were to ask really really
nicely they might even give you a copy.

> and Tandy specific printers are worthless...

Gee, Such a broad statement, and I suppose that you can offer some
suggestions on which NON-TANDY printer to use with say, Radio
Shack Busniess Graphics packages? Or how about Scripsit? Oh now
theres an interesting item, voted the most popular unix word processor
by the readers of "UNIX" world, and from the factory, scripsit only
supports TANDY printers.

Maybe you should modify your statment a bit?

doug
--
Doug Davis/1030 Pleasant Valley Lane/Arlington/Texas/76015/817-467-3740

{sys1.tandy.com, motown!sys1, uiucuxc!sys1 lawnet, killer, texbell} letni!doug

"If your not running an MC68030-33 Your only using a processor."

Joe Applegate

Jun 4, 1989, 4:57:45 PM6/4/89
In article <34...@letni.LawNet.Com>, do...@letni.LawNet.Com (Doug Davis) writes:
> In article <15...@csm9a.UUCP> japp...@csm9a.UUCP (Joe Applegate) writes:
> >Unfortunately Pizass Plus does not support any Tandy video modes or COLOR on
> >the CGP-220... but then this is typical... the industry will not support
> >Tandy standards because Tandy historically refuses to release numbers on
> >various machines sold or sell third party software in their stores...
> Oh, No? Then I guess the "1988 Express Order Catalog" that I have
> right here, that is WRITTEN by tandy, PUBLISHED by tandy, and available
> free of charge in your local TANDY computer center, subject to availability.
> Is just a figment of my imagination? That must meen that the 300+ Pages
> with an average of 7 Third party peices of software per-page must *ALSO*
> be a figment of my imagination? Perhaps if you were to ask really really
> nicely they might even give you a copy.

A few years back we went to 10 different RS's and asked for Coco items
known to be in the Express Order Catalog... when no one could tell us
they existed we asked if their was any OTHER source of software for
Tandy computers... not one store produced an express order catalog...

It's real nice that it exists but they ought to tell their shoe salemen!

> > and Tandy specific printers are worthless...
> Gee, Such a broad statement, and I suppose that you can offer some
> suggestions on which NON-TANDY printer to use with say, Radio
> Shack Busniess Graphics packages? Or how about Scripsit? Oh now
> theres an interesting item, voted the most popular unix word processor
> by the readers of "UNIX" world, and from the factory, scripsit only
> supports TANDY printers.

Says a lot about Word Processing on the UNIX platform doesn't it...
having tried Scrip"shit" on the Coco, Model III, Model 100, and MSDOS
platforms I found it to be the absolute WORST word processor in each
(well maybe not worst... there is after all Desk"crate")... I am amased
that their is nothing better under UNIX???

No wonder I use MSDOS!

> Maybe you should modify your statment a bit?

Maybe Tandy should modify the business practices that alienate so many of
their users.

Doug Davis

Jun 5, 1989, 12:44:40 PM6/5/89
In article <15...@csm9a.UUCP> japp...@csm9a.UUCP (Joe Applegate) writes:
>A few years back we went to 10 different RS's and asked for Coco items
>known to be in the Express Order Catalog... when no one could tell us
>they existed we asked if their was any OTHER source of software for
>Tandy computers... not one store produced an express order catalog...
How many years ago? The express order catalog has only "existed" for
a "few years." Also what kind of RS store are you dealing with? There
are regular "Radio Shacks" those are the stores that sell doggie radios
as a first prority and computers as a sideline. Then there are 'Tandy
Computer Centers' Now those sell computers and computer related
equipment, period.

Perhaps a 'few years back' you were correct, but now its awful hard to
find a "Computer Center" sales person who doesn't know what an
"express order" is. Thats how they make their lunch money.

>It's real nice that it exists but they ought to tell their shoe salemen!

Why would a shoe salesman need to know about a computer catalog? Thats
for computer salesmen, perhaps if you quit going to shoe stores to
buy computers you would have less of a problem.

>Says a lot about Word Processing on the UNIX platform doesn't it...
>having tried Scrip"shit" on the Coco, Model III, Model 100, and MSDOS
>platforms I found it to be the absolute WORST word processor in each
>(well maybe not worst... there is after all Desk"crate")... I am amased
>that their is nothing better under UNIX???

That is a personal opinion, I would suspect that others dissagree
since RS sells an awlful lot of scripsit(s) especially for MSDOS. Now
that NEXUS is selling scripsit for a whole range of unix machines you
will be seeing more and more of it, coming to get you Joe, you can't escape.

>No wonder I use MSDOS!

Most likely you don't know any better. (appologies to the rest of you, but
that was too easy..)

>Maybe Tandy should modify the business practices that alienate so many of
>their users.

If you haven't noticed they have, perhaps if you would stop your confounded
ranting about how bad tandy is, you might notice that tandy *HAS* improved
quite a bit since the original days.

doug
--
Doug Davis/LawNet/1030 Pleasant Valley Lane/Arlington/Texas/76015/817-467-3740