So hard to recreate the ZX Spectrum

James Harris

Jun 15, 2017, 2:17:20 PM6/15/17
I've not been following too closely but get the impression that a number
of firms (startups?) have recently tried to do some sort of "reboot" of
the ZX Spectrum ... but failed.

It would seem they have the hard stuff already done for them. So why are
they failing? Any ideas? And have any succeeded?

--
James Harris

Selwyn Froggitt

Jun 21, 2017, 7:05:51 AM6/21/17
Greed.

losbo...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2017, 10:20:24 AM7/3/17
On Thursday, 15 June 2017 19:17:20 UTC+1, James Harris wrote:
The various ideas I've seen have all been a bit rubbish and are not products I'd want to buy. To be honest, if you want a proper Speccy experience, just buy one. All the 128K models have no difficulty in plugging into a modern telly and producing a really good picture, you can get memory card interfaces if you don't fancy faffing about with tapes, Microdrives and disks, there's no shortage of them, they're not particularly expensive, and there's plenty of people who know how to fix them if they go wrong.

I've got a grey case +2. For occasional use it's just fine, especially because I recently got it overhauled with various new components and got the iffy tape deck sorted.

dr_...@ntlworld.com

Sep 12, 2017, 2:55:03 AM9/12/17
That's the point! Spot on.

Why spend £100+ on a modern replica when you can have the real thing for less? Look at this ZX Spectrum Next, for example. Lovely idea and execution, but it's £250 (entry level model in a case). What will it be used for? Playing games I expect, and the reason for doing so will be (most likely) nostalgia. Does a nostalgic 8-bit game player want these new "turbo" modes? I think not. Same with the other advanced features like the new sprite capability. Suddenly, it is no longer a "Spectrum", so one may as well buy a Playstation, or save the cash and play games on a PC.