ZX Spectrum +3 power up after 30 years

Supratim Sanyal <"supratim sanyal

Nov 12, 2019, 7:59:36 PM11/12/19
Connected a ZX Spectrum +3's RGB to a RGB-to-SCART converter, and then
connected the SCART to a SCART-to-HDMI converter. Feeding the HDMI to a
ATSC television and using a 110-to-220V AC converter for the power brick
worked; a ZX Spectrum +3 is on the air in Maryland, USA. If I remember
right, I had last fired it up in 1989 in a 220V AC PAL country.

I am wondering if it is possible to have something like a Raspberry Pi's
headphone socket play back .TAP or .TZX files into the +3 so that the +3
thinks it is hearing from a tape recorder. I am sure it has been done;
would be grateful for pointers (and maybe even a MicroSD RPi image)
towards a short-cut to save me trouble.

Thanks,

Supratim Sanyal

Volker Bartheld

Nov 13, 2019, 2:37:31 AM11/13/19
On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 19:59:35 -0500, Supratim Sanyal <"supratim sanyal
wrote:
> Connected a ZX Spectrum +3's RGB to a RGB-to-SCART converter, and then
> connected the SCART to a SCART-to-HDMI converter. Feeding the HDMI to a
> ATSC television and using a 110-to-220V AC converter for the power brick
> worked; a ZX Spectrum +3 is on the air in Maryland, USA. If I remember
> right, I had last fired it up in 1989 in a 220V AC PAL country.

Now try this with any year 2000 PC or notebook.

> I am wondering if it is possible to have something like a Raspberry Pi's
> headphone socket play back .TAP or .TZX files into the +3 so that the +3
> thinks it is hearing from a tape recorder.

https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/questions/773/loading-zx-spectrum-tape-audio-in-a-post-cassette-world
might help you. Consider buying a DivIDE interface:
https://divide.speccy.cz. It is supposed to work with all Spectrum
generations. No more tapes or diskettes.

Greets,
Volker

Supratim Sanyal <"supratim sanyal

Nov 14, 2019, 8:24:42 AM11/14/19
On 11/13/2019 02:37 AM, Volker Bartheld wrote:

> https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/questions/773/loading-zx-spectrum-tape-audio-in-a-post-cassette-world
> might help you. Consider buying a DivIDE interface:
> https://divide.speccy.cz. It is supposed to work with all Spectrum
> generations. No more tapes or diskettes.

Thank you. Following up. Will report back.

> Greets,
> Volker

Best regards,
Supratim Sanyal

Supratim Sanyal

Jan 3, 2020, 12:58:35 PM1/3/20
On 11/13/2019 02:37, Volker Bartheld wrote:
>> I am wondering if it is possible to have something like a Raspberry Pi's
>> headphone socket play back .TAP or .TZX files into the +3 so that the +3
>> thinks it is hearing from a tape recorder.

It's very possible - I did some research and followed the footsteps of
others, and have a great Raspberry Pi ZX Spectrum Cassette Player that
has no issues with fast loaders even at 212% of normal cassette loading
speed (e.g. Falcon Patrol II). I wrote it all up at
https://supratim-sanyal.blogspot.com/2020/01/zx-spectrum-tzx-tap-zip-cassette-loader.html
if someone wants to try it.

Thanks,
Supratim Sanyal