+++ Announce: NEW MANIC MINER GAME!! +++

Andrew Broad

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99
Vidar Eriksen (aka Erix1) of Manic Miner Technologies has released the
latest MM game on the Internet. It's brilliant!

The game is called /Manic Miner Mythologies: Eugene - Lord of the
Bathroom/, and can be found at the following URL:
http://members.xoom.com/erix1/mm/mmeugene.htm

The game makes the best use of graphics and colour that I've ever seen
in a Spectrum MM/JSW game, partly achieved by hacking the game engine.
There're also some new features such as 3D graphics in one room, and a
`Jet (Set) Pac' room in which Willy's jump lasts until he hits the
ceiling and he can fall without dying. It also revisits some old MM/JSW
rooms in interesting new ways.

There are sixteen rather than twenty caverns and no music, to make way
for new code and graphics. You play as Eugene in most of the rooms - the
fifth room is actually "Miner Willy's Lair"! :-)

This game is a major step forward in the development of MM games, with
the game engine substantially hacked to achieve the features mentioned
above (and others). I made a major breakthrough last year with my Manic
Miner Screen Editor, setting new standards with Manic Miner 4 and The
Buddha Of Suburbia - though I do say so myself! :) - but this game takes
the MM sequel series to yet a higher level.

Some players may find this game offensive because it contains profanity,
and some rooms have sexual or lavatorial themes ;-)

--
Andrew Broad
http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~broada/

Chris Young

May 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/18/99
On Mon, 17 May 1999 14:30:39 +0100, Andrew Broad (of comp.sys.sinclair "fame")
wibbled on for an age:

> Some players may find this game offensive because it contains profanity,
> and some rooms have sexual or lavatorial themes ;-)

Trying to boost ratings, are you?

Chris
| http://www.unsatisfactory.freeserve.co.uk |
| Your Sinclair: A Celebration |
| http://www.bigfoot.com/~ysac |
+------------------------------ICQ:28784166-+

Andy Kavanagh

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99
On 18 May 1999, Chris Young wrote:

> On Mon, 17 May 1999 14:30:39 +0100, Andrew Broad (of comp.sys.sinclair "fame")
> wibbled on for an age:
>
> > Some players may find this game offensive because it contains profanity,
> > and some rooms have sexual or lavatorial themes ;-)
>
> Trying to boost ratings, are you?

Worked with me ;)

Actually, it looks bloody good. I've played it a bit now, and I really
am very impressed. Its certainly one of the most colourful speccy games
I've seen.

Well done!

, o O ( Pie! Mmmm! )
Andy.
--
UEA Alchemy Society President * http://www.uea.ac.uk/che/club/alchemy/
A.Kav...@uea.ac.uk * http://www.uea.ac.uk/~w9643451/

"Weird is merely something that other people suffer from"

Stuart Brady

May 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/20/99
On Mon, 17 May 1999, Andrew Broad wrote:

>The game makes the best use of graphics and colour that I've ever seen
>in a Spectrum MM/JSW game, partly achieved by hacking the game engine.

I've taken a look at it, and it's brilliant. It's a pity the source code
hasn't been released. It's not hacked as much as Andrew makes out,
actually. The '3d graphics' appear to be normal blocks.

You may think that the game uses more than the maximum number blocks,
but you can easily have 24 different blocks in a Manic Miner room,
without modifying the code at all.

Room 6 appears to be just like 'The Final Barrier', but using the whole
screen, instead. There's also room 8 -- that's probably not too
complicated, but what I really want to know about is room 15.
--
Stuart Brady
replace nospam with wholehog