Pictures (not by me) taken inside Timex Portugal (1986)

Bruno Florindo

Apr 16, 2017, 10:21:29 PM4/16/17
In case no one here has seen these before, here's what the Portuguese newspaper "Correio da Manhã" (translation: "Morning Mail") saw when they visited Timex Portugal back in 1986. Wondering if similar pictures exist of what was happening inside Sinclair Research (even though the computers were manufacturered elsewhere), back in the telephone-throwing days. As far as I know, there are no pictures of Timex Computer Corp (USA). Polish and Portuguese Specchums will recognize the Neptun 156 monitors. They were monochrome green, but we loved them.

https://goo.gl/photos/fs2K9L2HQtarcwvK7

I'm not sure what was happening (or what was being made), when looking at some of the pictures. It's easy to recognize the motherboards, but I'm not sure about the other stuff.

Enrico Maria Giordano

Apr 17, 2017, 3:20:25 AM4/17/17

Duncan Snowden

Apr 18, 2017, 2:01:09 PM4/18/17
On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 19:21:28 -0700 (PDT)
Bruno Florindo <zxspec...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In case no one here has seen these before, here's what the Portuguese
> newspaper "Correio da Manhã" (translation: "Morning Mail") saw when
> they visited Timex Portugal back in 1986. Wondering if similar
> pictures exist of what was happening inside Sinclair Research (even
> though the computers were manufacturered elsewhere), back in the
> telephone-throwing days.

Sir Clive walks down the stairs at Willis Road:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J5ciukfgtQ

I remember seeing that on TV back in the day. Although they don't
show anything much going on, there are some nice arty photos of the
Willis Road building in its heyday at the original architects':

http://www.lgharchitects.com/project/sinclair-research-centre

I always liked that place. You can criticize Sinclair's products for
being a bit on the cheapo side if you like, but you can't say the firm
didn't have style.

(It's still there, looking surprisingly good after 35 years, and now
that it's the Sinclair Building of Anglia Ruskin University, even has
the name "Sinclair" up on the wall again:
https://woodvineblog.wordpress.com/locations/)

I'm sure there must be some footage of the Timex factory in Dundee
somewhere, because if nothing else it became notorious for its
industrial disputes and was rarely out of the news.

--
Duncan Snowden.

AndyW

Apr 19, 2017, 2:05:44 AM4/19/17
On 17/04/2017 05:02, Duncan Snowden wrote:
> I'm sure there must be some footage of the Timex factory in Dundee
> somewhere, because if nothing else it became notorious for its
> industrial disputes and was rarely out of the news.

It was also notorious for 'leakage' of stock. A lot of people I know
from around Dundee had a 'back door' Sinclair flat screen TV.

Andy