WOS FTP mirror?

deKay

May 10, 2017, 5:35:21 AM5/10/17
Is there a working FTP mirror of WOS still about?

deKay
--
Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary

Daniel Mandic

May 18, 2017, 6:00:35 PM5/18/17
deKay wrote:

> Is there a working FTP mirror of WOS still about?
>
> deKay

Why would you need that?
WOS website seems to be working... (even the scans of various 'books'
are still available).

--
Daniel Mandic

deKay

May 19, 2017, 4:37:19 AM5/19/17
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Thu, 18 May
2017 22:00:34 +0000 (UTC), sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
comp.sys.sinclair, yawatina tan reek esk "Daniel Mandic"
<daniel...@hotmail.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
Because I want to access via FTP rather than HTTP. Otherwise you have to
download one file at a time, and can't script it.

Duncan Snowden

May 19, 2017, 11:27:16 AM5/19/17
Dude, FTP is so, like, '90s. What do u wanna do? Download animated
GIFs? Upload ur Geocities page lol? Stop living in the past, man!!1!
[emoji with zimmer frame] Rofl. Get with the...

> Otherwise you have to download one file at a time, and can't script
> it.

Oh. Yeah. That.

--
Duncan Snowden.

Guesser

May 19, 2017, 12:06:08 PM5/19/17
On 19/05/2017 09:37, deKay wrote:
> Because I want to access via FTP rather than HTTP. Otherwise you have to
> download one file at a time, and can't script it.

What about wget and curl?...

deKay

May 20, 2017, 6:22:10 PM5/20/17
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Fri, 19 May
2017 17:06:07 +0100, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do comp.sys.sinclair,
yawatina tan reek esk Guesser <alis...@zxnet.co.uk> fornis do marikano es
bono tan el:
I want to download a folder, not start knitting ;)

Antonio Cunha Santos

May 21, 2017, 5:50:26 PM5/21/17
Script ? Tricky and does not work that well with WOS :(
Would definitly be great to have and FTP or SFTP of WOS... And By the way, WOS seem stoped in time, and loosing quality... :(

deKay

May 21, 2017, 5:52:40 PM5/21/17
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sun, 21 May
2017 14:50:25 -0700 (PDT), sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
comp.sys.sinclair, yawatina tan reek esk Antonio Cunha Santos
<antoniop...@gmail.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
We used to have FTP access. And mirrors. All gone now.

Rob Chambers

May 25, 2017, 7:29:03 PM5/25/17
On 05/19/2017 10:37 AM, deKay wrote:
> Because I want to access via FTP rather than HTTP. Otherwise you have to
> download one file at a time, and can't script it.

What about using a browser extension like DownThemAll to download the
whole site?

http://www.downthemall.net

Rob

deKay

May 26, 2017, 5:45:56 AM5/26/17
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Fri, 26 May
2017 01:29:02 +0200, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do comp.sys.sinclair,
yawatina tan reek esk Rob Chambers <rob.ch...@removethisbit.gmail.com>
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

That's against the Ts&Cs, would take forever, and links are broken anyway.

Daniel Mandic

Jun 6, 2017, 8:26:36 AM6/6/17
deKay wrote:

> We used to have FTP access. And mirrors. All gone now.

Possibly drowning other likers of sinclair computers into the oblivion.
Maybe it's better they (WoS) would stop at all, when they can't cope
anymore with their ideology.... better said: commission; errand; task;
mission; assignment; mandate; contract ...and not to forget ...
'attachment'.
E.g. the game shapeshifter by Pavel Pliva is not listed on WoS....
(The last 'Tip Shop' annotation thread here in css, invited me to look
for a game called shapeshifter from that I have never heard before.)

me thinks....
the problems with WoS began by the time when WoS grew into to the
profitable zone.

P.S.: Where is sp...@freenet.de (prename Andrew AFAIK) ???? :-) ... I
haven't seen him here for a long time!!

--
Daniel Mandic

deKay

Jun 6, 2017, 9:42:17 AM6/6/17
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Tue, 6 Jun
2017 12:26:35 +0000 (UTC), sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
comp.sys.sinclair, yawatina tan reek esk "Daniel Mandic"
<daniel...@hotmail.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
Well, it's a shame nobody managed to get a full FTP mirror in the end - WOS is
down.

plustubu...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2017, 3:55:09 PM6/6/17
On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 6:42:17 AM UTC-7, deKay wrote:
> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Tue, 6 Jun
> 2017 12:26:35 +0000 (UTC), sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
> comp.sys.sinclair, yawatina tan reek esk "Daniel Mandic"
> <daniel...@hotmail.com> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
>
> >deKay wrote:
> >
> >> We used to have FTP access. And mirrors. All gone now.
> >
> >Possibly drowning other likers of sinclair computers into the oblivion.
> >Maybe it's better they (WoS) would stop at all, when they can't cope
> >anymore with their ideology.... better said: commission; errand; task;
> >mission; assignment; mandate; contract ...and not to forget ...
> >'attachment'.
> >E.g. the game shapeshifter by Pavel Pliva is not listed on WoS....
> >(The last 'Tip Shop' annotation thread here in css, invited me to look
> >for a game called shapeshifter from that I have never heard before.)
> >
> >me thinks....
> >the problems with WoS began by the time when WoS grew into to the
> >profitable zone.
> >

> >P.S.: Where is sp...@freenet.de (prename Andrew AFAIK) ???? :-) ... I
> >haven't seen him here for a long time!!
>
> Well, it's a shame nobody managed to get a full FTP mirror in the end - WOS is
> down.

"This Account has been temporarily suspended due to a large number of complaints.
Legal teams are viewing the complaints and working through them."

Erk.

- Steve

deKay

Jun 7, 2017, 12:00:01 PM6/7/17
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Tue, 6 Jun
2017 12:55:08 -0700 (PDT), sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
comp.sys.sinclair, yawatina tan reek esk plustubu...@gmail.com fornis do
Well look what we have here:

https://archive.org/details/World_of_Spectrum_June_2017_Mirror

Chris

Jun 7, 2017, 6:36:37 PM6/7/17
On Wed, 07 Jun 2017 16:59:59 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
to MC deKay:
86.4GB Zipfile? YES PLEASE!

Chris

| Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

Johnny B Good

Jun 7, 2017, 10:28:51 PM6/7/17
On Wed, 07 Jun 2017 23:36:33 +0100, Chris wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Jun 2017 16:59:59 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were
> rappin'
> to MC deKay:
>
>> Well look what we have here:
>>
>> https://archive.org/details/World_of_Spectrum_June_2017_Mirror
>
> 86.4GB Zipfile? YES PLEASE!

Yeah, the thought of an overnight 9 hour download did briefly cross my
mind too. :-)

Mind you, I did get the impression that it was set up to only dole it
out in individual files (unless you know better :-)

Mind you, I *was* rather impressed that there was that much stuff for a
'mere 8 bit' computer (even if 50% or more of it is composed of articles
rather than software). I wonder what the ratio is; it can't all be
software, surely?

--
Johnny B Good

fuzzix

Jun 12, 2017, 9:07:46 AM6/12/17
On 07/06/17 16:59, deKay wrote:

> Well look what we have here:
>
> https://archive.org/details/World_of_Spectrum_June_2017_Mirror

Did wos ever publish any traffic stats?

10TB of monthly FTP traffic seems pretty affordable:

https://www.hetzner.de/ie/hosting/storagebox/bx40

...that's without even shopping around.

Chris

Jul 8, 2017, 5:03:57 PM7/8/17
On Thu, 08 Jun 2017 02:28:50 GMT da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
to MC Johnny B Good:

> On Wed, 07 Jun 2017 23:36:33 +0100, Chris wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 07 Jun 2017 16:59:59 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were
> > rappin'
> > to MC deKay:
> >
> >> Well look what we have here:
> >>
> >> https://archive.org/details/World_of_Spectrum_June_2017_Mirror
> >
> > 86.4GB Zipfile? YES PLEASE!
> >

> Yeah, the thought of an overnight 9 hour download did briefly cross my
> mind too. :-)
>
> Mind you, I did get the impression that it was set up to only dole it
> out in individual files (unless you know better :-)

$ ls -la World*
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi 92763002039 Jun 10 04:32 World_of_Spectrum_June_2017_Mirror.zip

No frigging clue how I extract such a large file though!

Duncan Snowden

Jul 9, 2017, 12:03:44 PM7/9/17
On 8 Jul 2017 22:03:53 +0100
"Chris" <chris....@mail-filter.com> wrote:

> $ ls -la World*
> -rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi 92763002039 Jun 10 04:32
> World_of_Spectrum_June_2017_Mirror.zip
>
> No frigging clue how I extract such a large file though!

Hmm. Good point. Glad I didn't bother now. It's like a zip bomb that
you already *know* is going to blow up in your face.

How about setting up a spare machine with a minimal Linux distro that
boots to the commandline without starting too much irrelevant crap
(Arch or Void would be my picks), give it a few hundred Gb of swap
space, and leave it to chew on it for a few days?

The important thing is that it's *out there* now, though, so if
anything happens to the official server, everything up to a few weeks
ago is safe. Give it a few years and we'll have smartphones that can
decompress and host it.

("Haha! Look at this post from 2017, where they're worrying about
decompressing an 80Gb zip file! I've sent emails bigger than that!" ...
I don't know whether this is cause for optimism or cold, abject,
terror.)

--
Duncan Snowden.

Chris

Jul 15, 2017, 8:12:14 AM7/15/17
On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 17:03:30 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
to MC Duncan Snowden:

> On 8 Jul 2017 22:03:53 +0100
> "Chris" <chris....@mail-filter.com> wrote:
>
> > $ ls -la World*
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi 92763002039 Jun 10 04:32
> > World_of_Spectrum_June_2017_Mirror.zip
> >
> > No frigging clue how I extract such a large file though!
>
> Hmm. Good point. Glad I didn't bother now. It's like a zip bomb that
> you already *know* is going to blow up in your face.
>
> How about setting up a spare machine with a minimal Linux distro that
> boots to the commandline without starting too much irrelevant crap
> (Arch or Void would be my picks), give it a few hundred Gb of swap
> space, and leave it to chew on it for a few days?

Or... I could just keep it as-is safe in the knowledge that I have a
copy should I ever need it, and never actually use it.

Sort of like those people that buy two copies of everything just in
case one breaks, which it never does (there are people like that,
aren't there?).

Duncan Snowden

Jul 16, 2017, 10:26:02 AM7/16/17
On 15 Jul 2017 13:12:09 +0100
"Chris" <chris....@mail-filter.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 17:03:30 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were
> rappin' to MC Duncan Snowden:
>

> > How about setting up a spare machine with a minimal Linux distro
> > that boots to the commandline without starting too much irrelevant
> > crap (Arch or Void would be my picks), give it a few hundred Gb of
> > swap space, and leave it to chew on it for a few days?
>
> Or... I could just keep it as-is safe in the knowledge that I have a
> copy should I ever need it, and never actually use it.

Well... yeah, you *could*. But where's the fun in that?

I'm not entirely sure where the fun is in leaving a computer churning
away in the corner for a few days either, but still... it's the
principle of the thing. Or something. Probably.

> Sort of like those people that buy two copies of everything just in
> case one breaks, which it never does (there are people like that,
> aren't there?).

What, with more money than sense?

(But yes, I did say that's the important thing.)

--
Duncan Snowden.

fuzzix

Jul 17, 2017, 5:02:15 AM7/17/17
On 15/07/17 23:09, Duncan Snowden wrote:
> Well... yeah, you *could*. But where's the fun in that?
>
> I'm not entirely sure where the fun is in leaving a computer churning
> away in the corner for a few days either, but still... it's the
> principle of the thing. Or something. Probably.

I extracted this file on a piece of crap Atom D525 with 4G RAM.

It took about 2 hours and was probably slowed significantly because I
used an external disk. No sweat.

Duncan Snowden

Jul 17, 2017, 11:33:14 PM7/17/17
On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 10:02:14 +0100
fuzzix <fuz...@fuzzix.invalid> wrote:

> I extracted this file on a piece of crap Atom D525 with 4G RAM.
>
> It took about 2 hours and was probably slowed significantly because I
> used an external disk. No sweat.

Huh. Fair enough. I thought it would be worse than that.

Okay... if you have an *800* gigabyte zip file, then what you could do
is...

--
Duncan Snowden.

Chris

Jul 24, 2017, 3:38:07 PM7/24/17
On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 10:02:14 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
to MC fuzzix:
OK, it's currently on a Pi 2 so I imagine it'll take a bit longer...

How big are the extracted contents?

deKay

Jul 25, 2017, 6:17:29 AM7/25/17
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des 24 Jul 2017
20:38:02 +0100, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do comp.sys.sinclair,
yawatina tan reek esk "Chris" <chris....@mail-filter.com> fornis do
marikano es bono tan el:

>On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 10:02:14 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
>to MC fuzzix:
>
>> On 15/07/17 23:09, Duncan Snowden wrote:
>> > Well... yeah, you *could*. But where's the fun in that?
>> >
>> > I'm not entirely sure where the fun is in leaving a computer churning
>> > away in the corner for a few days either, but still... it's the
>> > principle of the thing. Or something. Probably.
>> >

>> I extracted this file on a piece of crap Atom D525 with 4G RAM.
>>
>> It took about 2 hours and was probably slowed significantly because I
>> used an external disk. No sweat.
>
>OK, it's currently on a Pi 2 so I imagine it'll take a bit longer...
>
>How big are the extracted contents?
>
>Chris

Only about 130GB I think.