What's your favourite JSW screen?

Jason A. Wells

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

I was playing Jet Set Willy 128 the other day and ran
into a familiar face that I had never seen before in
this game. It was "Eugene's Lair"! Complete with
the deadly toilets! (But no Eugene. :-( )

And just below there was "The Gaping Pit"!

I just had never run into these before, and thought
it was somewhat appropriate to add it onto the thread. :)

--jaw
--
J. Aubrey Wells (jaw...@crl.com) ** Ceci n'est ce pas une signature.
Information Superhighway^W^WIt's the Internet, Stupid.

John Elliott

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

In article <4p0esi$c...@crl4.crl.com>, Jason A. Wells (jaw...@crl.com) wrote:
: I was playing Jet Set Willy 128 the other day and ran

: into a familiar face that I had never seen before in
: this game. It was "Eugene's Lair"! Complete with
: the deadly toilets! (But no Eugene. :-( )

He is (I think) present, but his sprite isn't defined so he has no effect.
This happens in one or two of the rooms from "Join the Jetset".

--------------------------- Simon Magus MAGIC BOLT 6
John Elliott | \o_~^~ *: _o \|/
CHAOS in a sig... | | ==@ |\ V
--------------------------- /| ;==;< _//\\ A .|.

Richard G. Hallas

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

In message <4p0esi$c...@crl4.crl.com>
(3 Jun 1996 21:42:58 -0700), Jason A. Wells typed:

> I was playing Jet Set Willy 128 the other day and ran
> into a familiar face that I had never seen before in
> this game. It was "Eugene's Lair"! Complete with
> the deadly toilets! (But no Eugene. :-( )
>

> And just below there was "The Gaping Pit"!
>
> I just had never run into these before, and thought
> it was somewhat appropriate to add it onto the thread. :)

But those are screens from my game "Join the Jet-Set!", which
comprises half of the JSW 128 game.

The reason that Eugene isn't there is that JSW 128 isn't finished
yet. If you want to play the 'proper' version of Join the Jet-Set!,
in which all the mosters (including Eugene) are present and work
properly, you can get it as part of one of the Emulate! magazine
snapshot packs (number 2, I think). There is complete documentation
on the game in the associated issue of Emulate!.

I don't think Join the Jet-Set! is actually available singly (i.e.
outside the Emulate! pack) anywhere on the Net. I must upload it
some time. In the meantime I can send copies to people, complete
with docs.

--
Richard
-=-=-=-

John Elliott

Jun 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/9/96

In article <19960604....@hallas.demon.co.uk>, Richard G. Hallas (Ric...@hallas.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: The reason that Eugene isn't there is that JSW 128 isn't finished
: yet.

This seems to be an opportune moment to announce JSW 128 v0.00HL3.
New features are:

* Eugene's there! In fact, all the sprites in "Join the Jet-Set!" are now
present and correct.
* The scrolly message on the title screen is now longer, so I can credit all
those people who have contributed code to the project.
* The +3DOS version includes a utility which can take a 48k game such as
"JSW3" or "Join the Jet-Set!" and upgrade it to have the new 128k features
such as the music, the extended lives display and the cheat mode.
* There is an "uninstalled" version which contains only freely-distributable
code (so it can be distributed by PD libraries sensitive to copyright).
The installer requires +3DOS to run.
* Because the memory scheme is rather more flexible than in the original
(multiple guardian tables and so forth) there is now a memory map within
the runtime file which describes for each page of memory what data are
contained therein.

John Elliott

Jun 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/9/96

And the URL - http://users.ox.ac.uk/~sjoh0132/jsw128.html