ANNOUNCE: Manic Miner: comp.sys.sinclair - It's ready!!!!!

N Fishwick (FishyFish)

Sep 4, 2002, 3:06:46 PM9/4/02
<drum roll>

After 18 months of hard work (yeah, right) my Manic Miner rejig is
ready to be revealed to the world for everyone to marvel in it's
splendour.

Downloads are available at: http://www.fishyfish.net/manic/

I might still tweak it a little based on feedback, and I hope to
create a standalone 48k TZX version - at the moment it's saved as a
128k snapshot, so you'll need ana emulator capable of running it
(RealSpectrum works fine and I suspect most others will too), but
essentially it's a full working version. I've personally tested all
the romms and every one is completeable, so don't give up!

Anyway, have fun and let me know what you think, especially the
cheatingbastness of it!

Especially like to know if someone completes it! A special challenge -
who'll be first?!?!?!

Fishy
--
Spectrum Games Maps at - http://www.btinternet.com/~fishyfish/
Email me using N.Fis...@BTInternet.NOSPAMTHANKS.com (remove the NOSPAMTHANKS)

Ivan Ruiz Etxabe

Sep 4, 2002, 3:49:07 PM9/4/02
On Wed, 04 Sep 2002 19:06:46 GMT, fish...@BTInternet.com (N Fishwick
(FishyFish)) va y suelta:

><drum roll>
>
>After 18 months of hard work (yeah, right) my Manic Miner rejig is
>ready to be revealed to the world for everyone to marvel in it's
>splendour.

First of all, Thank you for your superb work.

That said, I'd like to say that I've seen EASIER
first screens :), it's bloody hard -- can that monster
be jumped somehow?

Ivan

Victim of a Stagedive

Sep 4, 2002, 4:40:02 PM9/4/02
Excuse me for being dim, but which emulator do I need to play this?

Peter

N Fishwick (FishyFish)

Sep 4, 2002, 5:20:41 PM9/4/02
On 04 Sep 2002 20:40:02 GMT, peter...@aol.comNOSHITE (Victim of a
Stagedive) farted out the following incoherent babble:

>Excuse me for being dim, but which emulator do I need to play this?

I've tried it with RealSpectrum and X128, both of which work ok.

Colin Woodcock

Sep 4, 2002, 5:27:20 PM9/4/02
"N Fishwick (FishyFish)" <fish...@BTInternet.com> wrote in message

> <drum roll>
>
> After 18 months of hard work (yeah, right) my Manic Miner rejig is
> ready to be revealed to the world for everyone to marvel in it's
> splendour.

Excellent!

Anyone like to do a review of this for the next ZXF?

Colin

N Fishwick (FishyFish)

Sep 4, 2002, 5:39:42 PM9/4/02
On Wed, 04 Sep 2002 19:49:07 GMT, jai...@navegalia.com (Ivan Ruiz
Etxabe) farted out the following incoherent babble:

Watch the patterns and look at the layout. It's probably a lot easier
than you think.

luv-snail

Sep 4, 2002, 5:47:00 PM9/4/02
N Fishwick (FishyFish) previously ejaculated:

> On 04 Sep 2002 20:40:02 GMT, peter...@aol.comNOSHITE (Victim of a
> Stagedive) farted out the following incoherent babble:
>
>> Excuse me for being dim, but which emulator do I need to play this?
>>
> I've tried it with RealSpectrum and X128, both of which work ok.

Works good in SPIN too.

Derek Jolly

Sep 4, 2002, 5:25:13 PM9/4/02
jai...@navegalia.com (Ivan Ruiz Etxabe) wrote in

> That said, I'd like to say that I've seen EASIER
> first screens :), it's bloody hard -- can that monster
> be jumped somehow?

No, it can't be. Think of another way. (It's so obvious when you see
it).

Just had my first go on it and got to Coats by Titch. Nice.
--
Derek Jolly (derek at rivetsoft dot freeserve dot co dot uk)
comp.sys.sinclair folklore FAQ: http://rivet.50megs.com/cssfolk.html

N Fishwick (FishyFish)

Sep 4, 2002, 5:55:44 PM9/4/02
On Wed, 04 Sep 2002 19:06:46 GMT, fish...@BTInternet.com (N Fishwick
(FishyFish)) farted out the following incoherent babble:

>Downloads are available at: http://www.fishyfish.net/manic/

In case anyone has problems downloading from this URL [1], you can
also try;

http://www.btinternet.com/~fishyfish/games/manic/

Fishy

[1] I'm having problems accessing it for some reason.

Llama-Wax Len

Sep 4, 2002, 5:54:25 PM9/4/02

"Derek Jolly" <derek...@deadspam.com> wrote in message

> No, it can't be. Think of another way. (It's so obvious when you see
> it).
>
> Just had my first go on it and got to Coats by Titch. Nice.

Whereas I, ironically enough, have just been killed in the quite spiffing[1]
Len's Robocop Waxing Salon.

Brilliant stuff!

Len
[1] It really is superb! Look, it's got the hat and everything![2]
[2] See specchums.org for details
--
Remove SPAMOFF to reply
"Oh, the nobility of the almost human porpoise!"

N Fishwick (FishyFish)

Sep 4, 2002, 6:15:51 PM9/4/02
On Wed, 4 Sep 2002 22:54:25 +0100, "Llama-Wax Len"
<al...@SPAMOFFauldgreytoon.freeserve.co.uk> farted out the following
incoherent babble:

>Whereas I, ironically enough, have just been killed in the quite spiffing[1]
>Len's Robocop Waxing Salon.
>
>Brilliant stuff!
>
>Len
>[1] It really is superb! Look, it's got the hat and everything![2]
>[2] See specchums.org for details
>--

I thought you might like that little graphical flourish!

I'm especially proud of my Robocops too.

gordon

Sep 4, 2002, 6:19:53 PM9/4/02

Works fine in ZX32 as well.
--
gordon "It's not the winning, it's the arsing around along the way."

Derek Jolly

Sep 4, 2002, 5:56:11 PM9/4/02
"Llama-Wax Len" <al...@SPAMOFFauldgreytoon.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in

> Whereas I, ironically enough, have just been killed in the quite
> spiffing[1] Len's Robocop Waxing Salon.

I've just got there now. How does it feel to be Eugene?!

Nomenluni

Sep 4, 2002, 8:14:52 PM9/4/02
Got to Robocop Waxing on first go - which isn't too bad for a first go.

I have to say it plays really well - I guess most people have played some of
the other homegrown MM's - but this one is up there with the cream.

Nice one Mr Fishy.

Nomenluni

Dunny

Sep 4, 2002, 5:26:24 PM9/4/02

> On 04 Sep 2002 20:40:02 GMT, peter...@aol.comNOSHITE (Victim of a
> Stagedive) farted out the following incoherent babble:
>
> >Excuse me for being dim, but which emulator do I need to play this?
> >
> I've tried it with RealSpectrum and X128, both of which work ok.

Ahem.

D.

Lee Prince

Sep 5, 2002, 3:23:04 AM9/5/02
10 PRINT "Victim of a Stagedive woz 'ere 04 Sep 2002"
20 GO TO 10

> Excuse me for being dim, but which emulator do I need to play this?

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/emulators.html

Assuming you're using Windows, the best ones (IMHO) are zx32, SPIN and
Klive, although many people still swear by RealSpectrum.

--
I'll get my coat.

Lee Prince

Sep 5, 2002, 3:29:08 AM9/5/02
10 PRINT "FishyFish) woz 'ere 04 Sep 2002"
20 GO TO 10

> After 18 months of hard work (yeah, right) my Manic Miner rejig is

> ready to be revealed to the world for everyone to marvel in it's
> splendour.

Excellent. Well, it would be if I could get anywhere. It took me three
attempts just to work out the first screen, and then I got stuck in
Scribbler's fridge. Bah.

> Especially like to know if someone completes it! A special challenge -
> who'll be first?!?!?!

I suspect I'll win a prize for being last, judging by my performance so
far...

Chris Cowley

Sep 5, 2002, 5:50:04 AM9/5/02
Stagedive) wrote:

>Excuse me for being dim, but which emulator do I need to play this?

Any Sinclair Spectrum emulator will do the job. If there's an emulator
out there that isn't capable of running the Manic Miner game engine
properly, then the author should have lots of painful and embarassing
things done to him/her.
--
Chris Cowley

N Fishwick (FishyFish)

Sep 5, 2002, 6:55:08 AM9/5/02
On Wed, 4 Sep 2002 22:26:24 +0100, "Dunny" <paul....@ntlworld.com>

farted out the following incoherent babble:

>"N Fishwick (FishyFish)" <fish...@BTInternet.com> wrote in message
>> On 04 Sep 2002 20:40:02 GMT, peter...@aol.comNOSHITE (Victim of a
>> Stagedive) farted out the following incoherent babble:
>>
>> >Excuse me for being dim, but which emulator do I need to play this?
>> >
>> I've tried it with RealSpectrum and X128, both of which work ok.

Oh...and SPIN of course. A prince among emulators, indeed if not the
king!

75p and a packet of etc. etc...

N Fishwick (FishyFish)

Sep 5, 2002, 6:56:04 AM9/5/02
On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 10:50:04 +0100, Chris Cowley <cco...@grok.co.uk>

farted out the following incoherent babble:

>On 04 Sep 2002 20:40:02 GMT, peter...@aol.comNOSHITE (Victim of a

Some of the older emulators won't run 128k files though, so it is
possible to find one that won't run it I suppose.

Scribbler

Sep 5, 2002, 7:47:32 AM9/5/02
fish...@BTInternet.com (N Fishwick (FishyFish)) wrote in

> <drum roll>
>
> After 18 months of hard work (yeah, right) my Manic Miner rejig is
> ready to be revealed to the world for everyone to marvel in it's
> splendour.
>
> Downloads are available at: http://www.fishyfish.net/manic/
>
> I might still tweak it a little based on feedback, and I hope to
> create a standalone 48k TZX version - at the moment it's saved as a
> 128k snapshot, so you'll need ana emulator capable of running it
> (RealSpectrum works fine and I suspect most others will too), but
> essentially it's a full working version. I've personally tested all
> the romms and every one is completeable, so don't give up!
>
> Anyway, have fun and let me know what you think, especially the
> cheatingbastness of it!
>
> Especially like to know if someone completes it! A special challenge -
> who'll be first?!?!?!

Well, I'll submit the first high score.... 2,446... :)

--
New, shiny, and better than the last one... probably
http://www.mercuryvapour.co.uk

Scribbler

Sep 5, 2002, 7:49:23 AM9/5/02

> On Wed, 04 Sep 2002 19:49:07 GMT, jai...@navegalia.com (Ivan Ruiz
> Etxabe) farted out the following incoherent babble:
>
>>On Wed, 04 Sep 2002 19:06:46 GMT, fish...@BTInternet.com (N Fishwick
>>(FishyFish)) va y suelta:
>>
>>><drum roll>
>>>
>>>After 18 months of hard work (yeah, right) my Manic Miner rejig is
>>>ready to be revealed to the world for everyone to marvel in it's
>>>splendour.
>>
>>First of all, Thank you for your superb work.
>>
>>That said, I'd like to say that I've seen EASIER
>>first screens :), it's bloody hard -- can that monster
>>be jumped somehow?
>>
> Watch the patterns and look at the layout. It's probably a lot easier
> than you think.

That first screen had me stumped.... "how do I jump over those green things
to get that k.....ahhhhhHHHHHHH! I know, I'll get that one FIRST!!!" :)

Chris Cowley

Sep 5, 2002, 8:56:04 AM9/5/02
On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 10:56:04 GMT, fish...@BTInternet.com (N Fishwick
(FishyFish)) wrote:

>On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 10:50:04 +0100, Chris Cowley <cco...@grok.co.uk>
>farted out the following incoherent babble:
>

>>Any Sinclair Spectrum emulator will do the job. If there's an emulator
>>out there that isn't capable of running the Manic Miner game engine
>>properly, then the author should have lots of painful and embarassing
>>things done to him/her.
>
>Some of the older emulators won't run 128k files though, so it is
>possible to find one that won't run it I suppose.

I must admit that I didn't realise it was a 128K snap (even though you
mentioned it in your original post - d'oh). Why is that? Do you have an
editor in one of the RAM banks or something?
--
Chris Cowley

Fraser Ross

Sep 5, 2002, 9:06:50 AM9/5/02

> On Wed, 4 Sep 2002 22:26:24 +0100, "Dunny" <paul....@ntlworld.com>
> farted out the following incoherent babble:
>

> >"N Fishwick (FishyFish)" <fish...@BTInternet.com> wrote in message
> >> On 04 Sep 2002 20:40:02 GMT, peter...@aol.comNOSHITE (Victim of a
> >> Stagedive) farted out the following incoherent babble:

> >> I've tried it with RealSpectrum and X128, both of which work ok.
> >
> Oh...and SPIN of course. A prince among emulators, indeed if not the
> king!
Bits of the screen is corrupt with Spin. Klive works but its bad for
crashing W2000 particularly if I've a dial-up-connection on.

Fraser.

Chris Cowley

Sep 5, 2002, 10:01:15 AM9/5/02
On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 14:06:50 +0100, "Fraser Ross"
<fraserATmembers.v21.co.uk> wrote:

>Bits of the screen is corrupt with Spin. Klive works but its bad for
>crashing W2000 particularly if I've a dial-up-connection on.

Which bits of the screen are corrupt in SPIN? It looks okay to me with
the latest 0.2c release:-

http://freestuff.grok.co.uk/spin/maniccss.png

Chris.
--
Chris Cowley

Dunny

Sep 5, 2002, 10:24:12 AM9/5/02

"Chris Cowley" <cco...@grok.co.uk> wrote in message

> On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 14:06:50 +0100, "Fraser Ross"
> <fraserATmembers.v21.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Bits of the screen is corrupt with Spin. Klive works but its bad for
> >crashing W2000 particularly if I've a dial-up-connection on.
>
> Which bits of the screen are corrupt in SPIN? It looks okay to me with
> the latest 0.2c release:-

Agreed - I've not had any problems running a simple Manic Miner snapshot
before - in fact, it was one of the first games that SPIN ever ran! I can
also vouch for the fact that it runs well in Win2k, as Woody has been
developing parts of SPIN in Win2k since he started.

Any chance of a screenshot, Fraser? "bits of the screen are corrupt" isn't
really a very helpful bug report.

D.

Dunny

Sep 5, 2002, 10:33:22 AM9/5/02
I've already replied to you via Chris's reply, but I just had a thought:

If you're still running large fonts, then it's possible that the Window size
is smaller than it should be, and as such the display is skipping lines and
columns. There is a fix for this, but it involves you choosing a smaller
system font size.

Other than that, I expect you've probably got some major configuration
problems (especially if something as innocuous(sp?) as Klive crashes your
dialup.

D.

N Fishwick (FishyFish)

Sep 5, 2002, 10:49:07 AM9/5/02
On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 11:47:32 GMT, Scribbler
<scribbl...@ntlworld.com> farted out the following incoherent
babble:

>Well, I'll submit the first high score.... 2,446... :)

What level did you reach?

I might start recording high scores on the website. Email them to me
including your name, high score and level reached. I'll apply Speccy
Tour rules so that your high score is that reached either when all
your lives have gone, or you've completed screen 20 (whichever comes
first).

Mark any emails to me as "Manic Miner CSS Scores"

N Fishwick (FishyFish)

Sep 5, 2002, 10:53:27 AM9/5/02
On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 13:56:04 +0100, Chris Cowley <cco...@grok.co.uk>

farted out the following incoherent babble:

>I must admit that I didn't realise it was a 128K snap (even though you
>mentioned it in your original post - d'oh). Why is that? Do you have an
>editor in one of the RAM banks or something?

Yep. I'm trying to extract the pure Manic Miner file from the editor
(which should be doable according to the instructions), but I'll be a
monkey's uncle if I can get it to work properly.

For anyone who's interested the editor I used was the one created by
Andrew Broad :
http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~broada/spectrum/download/mmse.zip

Fraser Ross

Sep 5, 2002, 11:43:17 AM9/5/02
It looks like I had the a version. The corruption was in the area below the
main screen although the lives miners were ok. Klive crashes the computer
when I haven't a dial-up-connection. Its also got a keyboard bug I found
while playing Chuckie Egg.

Fraser.

Derek Jolly

Sep 5, 2002, 12:55:49 PM9/5/02
Lee Prince <ecni...@btinternet.com> wrote in

> Assuming you're using Windows, the best ones (IMHO) are zx32, SPIN and
> Klive, although many people still swear by RealSpectrum.

Whereas I just swear at it. That should change with the Windows version
though, as I'll be able to get sound then.

luv-snail

Sep 5, 2002, 1:41:11 PM9/5/02
Dunny previously ejaculated:

> Any chance of a screenshot, Fraser? "bits of the screen are corrupt" isn't
> really a very helpful bug report.

i've got one...

when i load the Manic Miner CSS snap, then go into Video Settings and untick
the "Automatically Adjust Framerate" box, this happens:

http://www.heterosapiens.com/~dale/spinprobs.png

yes.

Chris Young

Sep 5, 2002, 1:36:47 PM9/5/02
On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 10:56:04 GMT, N Fishwick FishyFish ate a Rolo, and turned into...
N Fishwick FishyFish-Man! A super-hero with the power to write complete crap
to comp.sys.sinclair, such as this gem:

> Some of the older emulators won't run 128k files though, so it is
> possible to find one that won't run it I suppose.

128K .SNAs aren't supported well at all. ASp doesn't like it, SpeccyDE
doesn't read any .SNAs (as far as I can tell), and crashes horribly if
you force it to load the MMCSS one (bug report for Ian if he's reading),
CBSpeccy just switches my monitor off since I reinstalled everything and
therefore I can't try that. I don't have any other 128K emulators to
try, and can't be bothered to download one when the file should have been
a much better supported 128K .Z80 snapshot in the first place!

Chris

| Your Sinclair: A Celebration |
+-- http://www.ysac.cjb.net/ --ICQ:28784166-+

luv-snail

Sep 5, 2002, 1:56:47 PM9/5/02
Scribbler previously ejaculated:

i got 3859 so ner :P

The Chuntey Generator is what got me.

N Fishwick (FishyFish)

Sep 5, 2002, 2:13:57 PM9/5/02
On 5 Sep 2002 18:36:47 +0100, "Chris Young" <chr...@activatormail.com>

farted out the following incoherent babble:

>On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 10:56:04 GMT, N Fishwick FishyFish ate a Rolo, and turned into...

>N Fishwick FishyFish-Man! A super-hero with the power to write complete crap
>to comp.sys.sinclair, such as this gem:
>
>> Some of the older emulators won't run 128k files though, so it is
>> possible to find one that won't run it I suppose.
>
>128K .SNAs aren't supported well at all. ASp doesn't like it, SpeccyDE
>doesn't read any .SNAs (as far as I can tell), and crashes horribly if
>you force it to load the MMCSS one (bug report for Ian if he's reading),
>CBSpeccy just switches my monitor off since I reinstalled everything and
>therefore I can't try that. I don't have any other 128K emulators to
>try, and can't be bothered to download one when the file should have been
>a much better supported 128K .Z80 snapshot in the first place!

I shall endeavour to add a Z80 version to the site. The oversight is
purely down to my ignorance of file formats, and definitely not in any
way to exclude anyone - I've spent a long time working on this and
want as many people as possible to have a go.

I'll try and get one there shortly...

Fraser Ross

Sep 5, 2002, 2:16:06 PM9/5/02
I often get the main screen of an emulator stuck in the top left corner and
the rest of the window is as normal but overwritten. This happens with
Spectaculator and Klive. It might be a display driver problem but I don't
see this with any other software. Klive does this when the window is moved
over the right edge of the screen. Klive sometimes has erratic speed before
crashing the computer.

Fraser.

N Fishwick (FishyFish)

Sep 5, 2002, 2:30:00 PM9/5/02
On 5 Sep 2002 18:36:47 +0100, "Chris Young" <chr...@activatormail.com>
farted out the following incoherent babble:

>On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 10:56:04 GMT, N Fishwick FishyFish ate a Rolo, and turned into...

>N Fishwick FishyFish-Man! A super-hero with the power to write complete crap
>to comp.sys.sinclair, such as this gem:
>
>> Some of the older emulators won't run 128k files though, so it is
>> possible to find one that won't run it I suppose.
>
>128K .SNAs aren't supported well at all. ASp doesn't like it, SpeccyDE
>doesn't read any .SNAs (as far as I can tell), and crashes horribly if
>you force it to load the MMCSS one (bug report for Ian if he's reading),
>CBSpeccy just switches my monitor off since I reinstalled everything and
>therefore I can't try that. I don't have any other 128K emulators to
>try, and can't be bothered to download one when the file should have been
>a much better supported 128K .Z80 snapshot in the first place!

I've made a Z80 version now which can be downloaded at either of the
URL's. Let me know if there are problems.

http://www.fishyfish.net/manic/
http://www.btinternet.com/~fishyfish/games/manic/

Llama-Wax Len

Sep 5, 2002, 2:22:48 PM9/5/02

> I thought you might like that little graphical flourish!
>
> I'm especially proud of my Robocops too.

Yes, they are nice, but not as hard as the original though.[1]

Len
[1] Actually, that's a bit of a lie, because I still can't get any further
than this screen. It's not that I don't know what I'm doing, I just keep
messing up all my jumps. Bah.
--
Remove SPAMOFF to reply
"Oh, the nobility of the almost human porpoise!"
DISCLAIMER: By replying to this message, you hereby acknowledge
that the ZX Spectrum game "Robocop" was too difficult.

Llama-Wax Len

Sep 5, 2002, 2:24:31 PM9/5/02

"Lee Prince" <ecni...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> Excellent. Well, it would be if I could get anywhere. It took me three
> attempts just to work out the first screen, and then I got stuck in
> Scribbler's fridge. Bah.

Yes, I agree that it was a very difficult screen to start with. Not that
it's very difficult once you've seen how it's done but this screen (and a
few others) do seem to have a habit of completely shafting you if you choose
to go the wrong way, leaving you no choice but to die. In that respect I
think it's even harder than the original. F'nar.

Len

Llama-Wax Len

Sep 5, 2002, 2:25:33 PM9/5/02

"luv-snail" <not_so_happy_e...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> i got 3859 so ner :P
>
> The Chuntey Generator is what got me.

6420! Yay! I am the master[1]!

I wish I'd used an AIR file now.

Len
[1] Or at least the master up until Len's Robocop Waxing Salon.

Fraser Ross

Sep 5, 2002, 3:34:52 PM9/5/02
I've found Spin can crash after a while.

Look, wow, rare is fairly hard. Maybe it made similar and as hard as The
Forgotten Abbey.

Fraser.

N Fishwick (FishyFish)

Sep 5, 2002, 3:45:14 PM9/5/02
On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 20:34:52 +0100, "Fraser Ross"
<fraserATmembers.v21.co.uk> farted out the following incoherent
babble:

>I've found Spin can crash after a while.

>Look, wow, rare is fairly hard. Maybe it made similar and as hard as The
>Forgotten Abbey.

Oddly enough, that was the inspiration. At least as far as the baddies
movement patterns were concerned.

Fraser Ross

Sep 5, 2002, 3:50:32 PM9/5/02
Maybe it could made similar and as hard as The Forgotten Abbey. Thats what
I meant to say. That little red floor could fall faster to be harder. I'd
make the cyan flame area harder.

Fraser.

N Fishwick (FishyFish)

Sep 5, 2002, 4:00:52 PM9/5/02
On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 20:50:32 +0100, "Fraser Ross"

<fraserATmembers.v21.co.uk> farted out the following incoherent
babble:

>Maybe it could made similar and as hard as The Forgotten Abbey. Thats what

>I meant to say. That little red floor could fall faster to be harder. I'd
>make the cyan flame area harder.

You should've seen it before I made it easier! You had to have
cracjkerjack timing and it was all in the reflexes. [1]

Fishy

[1] Sorry, Jack Burton appeared for a moment there.

N Fishwick (FishyFish)

Sep 5, 2002, 4:04:11 PM9/5/02
There's now a High Score Hall of Fame section on the website.

Len is currently leading. There's a challenge for you all!

"What're the scores on the board Miss Ford?" I hear you all ask.
Welll...and I hasten to add tha I'm not the lovely Miss Ford...

Llama Wax Len: 6420
(Len's Robocop Waxing salon)

Luv-Snail: 3859
(The Chuntey Generator)

Scribbler: 2446
(Unknown)

Fishy

Lister

Sep 5, 2002, 4:17:41 PM9/5/02
A long time ago (Thu, 05 Sep 2002 20:04:11 GMT, probably), in a pub
far, far away, fish...@BTInternet.com (N Fishwick (FishyFish))
slammed a pint glass on the table and said :

>There's now a High Score Hall of Fame section on the website.
>
>Len is currently leading. There's a challenge for you all!
>
>"What're the scores on the board Miss Ford?" I hear you all ask.
>Welll...and I hasten to add tha I'm not the lovely Miss Ford...

Nah, you're more Betty Ford :P

--
www.friendsreunited.co.uk |use this as
Listing free, registration £5/year |your signature

Woody

Sep 5, 2002, 4:57:12 PM9/5/02
On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 20:34:52 +0100, "Fraser Ross"
<fraserATmembers.v21.co.uk> wrote:

>I've found Spin can crash after a while.

As can Windows!

Woody

Sep 5, 2002, 5:06:00 PM9/5/02

Not here it doesn't and I've tried it countless times!
I think that's because it's already been fixed though :-)

The next release should be quite soon now.

luv-snail

Sep 5, 2002, 5:27:55 PM9/5/02
Llama-Wax Len previously ejaculated:

> "luv-snail" <not_so_happy_e...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> i got 3859 so ner :P
>>
>> The Chuntey Generator is what got me.
>
> 6420! Yay! I am the master[1]!
>
> I wish I'd used an AIR file now.
>
> Len
> [1] Or at least the master up until Len's Robocop Waxing Salon.

I still can't get past that Chuntey Generator. It's a bit of a bast :)

N Fishwick (FishyFish)

Sep 5, 2002, 6:25:14 PM9/5/02
On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 20:04:11 GMT, fish...@BTInternet.com (N Fishwick
(FishyFish)) farted out the following incoherent babble:

>There's now a High Score Hall of Fame section on the website.

And to make it fair, no saving the game after each level. Only playing
straight through until you die or complete it counts.[1]

Fishy

[1] Not that I can really tell if you have, or will attempt to check
or anything.

Derek Jolly

Sep 5, 2002, 8:09:14 PM9/5/02

> I still can't get past that Chuntey Generator. It's a bit of a bast :)

Another "D'oh!" moment that one.

Nomenluni

Sep 5, 2002, 8:17:45 PM9/5/02
My new high score is 9008 on the Lethal Chutney Deficiency.
I thank yew, I thank yew.
Nomenluni

Derek Jolly

Sep 5, 2002, 8:21:59 PM9/5/02

> There's now a High Score Hall of Fame section on the website.
>
> Len is currently leading. There's a challenge for you all!

Right. Let's see how I do after being on the piss all evening.

One shot. No restarting.

Score: 6562
Room: Len's Robocop Waxing Salon

Derek Jolly

Sep 5, 2002, 8:27:22 PM9/5/02
"Nomenluni" <nome...@SPAMfoot.com> wrote in

> My new high score is 9008 on the Lethal Chutney Deficiency.
> I thank yew, I thank yew.
> Nomenluni

Bast! Wait 'til I've sobered up tomorrow. Then you'll be for it.
Oh yes sirree!

Matthew Clemson

Sep 5, 2002, 8:57:28 PM9/5/02

"Nomenluni" <nome...@SPAMfoot.com> wrote in message

> My new high score is 9008 on the Lethal Chutney Deficiency.
> I thank yew, I thank yew.

Damn. I was getting dead proud of 8193 on Willy Wan%?@[NO CARRIER]

(Oh, and 'lo. I'm back, an' warming up for the tour. Although I'll probably
be as chatty as ever...)

-Matt

Matthew Clemson

Sep 5, 2002, 9:28:52 PM9/5/02

"Matthew Clemson" <ma...@ox.compsoc.net> wrote in message

> "Nomenluni" <nome...@SPAMfoot.com> wrote in message

> > My new high score is 9008 on the Lethal Chutney Deficiency.

> Damn. I was getting dead proud of 8193 on Willy Wan%?@[NO CARRIER]

10353 on Lethal Chuntey Deficiency. I can sleep in peace.

-Matt

Lee Prince

Sep 6, 2002, 4:32:57 AM9/6/02
10 PRINT "Derek Jolly woz 'ere 06 Sep 2002"
20 GO TO 10

> Right. Let's see how I do after being on the piss all evening.
>
> One shot. No restarting.
>
> Score: 6562
> Room: Len's Robocop Waxing Salon

I got almost exactly the same results just now, although I did complete
the game using repeated snapshot-saving (cheatingbast that I am). Wait
until you get to the Lister's shirt screen...

--
I'll get my coat.

Philip Kendall

Sep 6, 2002, 4:40:37 AM9/6/02
In article <3D77A43F.MD-...@amiga.org>,

Chris Young <chr...@activatormail.com> wrote:
>N Fishwick FishyFish-Man! A super-hero with the power to write complete crap
>to comp.sys.sinclair, such as this gem:
>
>> Some of the older emulators won't run 128k files though, so it is
>> possible to find one that won't run it I suppose.
>
>128K .SNAs aren't supported well at all. ASp doesn't like it, SpeccyDE
>doesn't read any .SNAs (as far as I can tell), and crashes horribly if
>you force it to load the MMCSS one (bug report for Ian if he's reading),
>CBSpeccy just switches my monitor off since I reinstalled everything and
>therefore I can't try that.

<plug>
SnapConv: http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~pak21/spectrum/snapconv.html
</plug>

There's even a moderately illegal (due to the lack of source code) Amiga
version at http://www.lagernet.clara.co.uk/speccy.html

Phil

--
Philip Kendall <pa...@srcf.ucam.org>
http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~pak21/

Jeff Braine

Sep 6, 2002, 4:51:49 AM9/6/02

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Dunny wrote:

> > I've tried it with RealSpectrum and X128, both of which work ok.
>
> Ahem.
>
> D.

Works fine in SPIN under XP.

--
Jeff

Jeff Braine

Sep 6, 2002, 4:50:49 AM9/6/02

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, N Fishwick (FishyFish) wrote:

> Anyway, have fun and let me know what you think, especially the
> cheatingbastness of it!

What can I say mate? Great stuff :)

> Especially like to know if someone completes it! A special challenge -
> who'll be first?!?!?!

I just got killed in Scribbler's fridge on my second go... I don't think
it'll be me somehow.

--
Jeff

Chris Young

Sep 6, 2002, 1:43:02 PM9/6/02
On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 18:30:00 GMT, N Fishwick FishyFish ate a Rolo, and turned into...

N Fishwick FishyFish-Man! A super-hero with the power to write complete crap
to comp.sys.sinclair, such as this gem:

> I've made a Z80 version now which can be downloaded at either of the

> URL's. Let me know if there are problems.

Works a treat, ta! (I know what I'll be doing all weekend now...)

Chris

| Your Sinclair: A Celebration |
+-- http://www.ysac.cjb.net/ --ICQ:28784166-+

luv-snail

Sep 6, 2002, 1:47:02 PM9/6/02
Woody previously ejaculated:

yes, it's already been fixed :)

luv-snail

Sep 6, 2002, 1:48:42 PM9/6/02
Derek Jolly previously ejaculated:

> "luv-snail" <not_so_happy_e...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> I still can't get past that Chuntey Generator. It's a bit of a bast :)
>>

> Another "D'oh!" moment that one.

Yup :)

Stuck on the waxing salon now... I'll get there :)

Woody

Sep 6, 2002, 2:04:12 PM9/6/02
On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 22:25:14 GMT, fish...@BTInternet.com (N Fishwick
(FishyFish)) wrote:

>On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 20:04:11 GMT, fish...@BTInternet.com (N Fishwick
>(FishyFish)) farted out the following incoherent babble:
>
>>There's now a High Score Hall of Fame section on the website.
>>
>And to make it fair, no saving the game after each level.

Hehe, I've got a snap saved at the start of every new level I've
reached so far. I'm currently on the FOD level.

Note that I haven't been submitting highscores here though! :-)

N Fishwick (FishyFish)

Sep 6, 2002, 2:49:53 PM9/6/02
On Wed, 04 Sep 2002 19:06:46 GMT, fish...@BTInternet.com (N Fishwick

(FishyFish)) farted out the following incoherent babble:

Hah! I myself am now top of the scoreboard [1].

Who'll be the first to embarrass me by usurping me from my lofty
perch?

Name Level Score
Fishy *** L@@K, W@W, R@RE! *** 15987
Matthew Clemson Lethal Chuntey Deficiency 10353
Nomenluni Lethal Chuntey Deficiency 9008
Derek Jolly Len's Robocop Waxing Salon 6562
Llama Wax Len Len's Robocop Waxing salon 6420
Luv-Snail The Chuntey Generator 3859
Scribbler Unknown 2446

Fishy

[1] Although, to be honest you'd expect better, me being the designer
and all...

Nick Humphries

Sep 6, 2002, 3:04:56 PM9/6/02
Impressive work - currently up to NO CARRIER, but slowly working through the
levels using the patented save-after-every-level-with-no-lives-lost method.

| Nick Humphries ni...@egyptus.co.uk |
| The Your Sinclair Rock'n'Roll Years: http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/ |
| The Tipshop: http://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/ |
If you think THAT's bad, it's only 110 days until Christmas...

Chris Young

Sep 6, 2002, 1:57:40 PM9/6/02
On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 20:04:11 GMT, N Fishwick FishyFish ate a Rolo, and turned into...

N Fishwick FishyFish-Man! A super-hero with the power to write complete crap
to comp.sys.sinclair, such as this gem:

> There's now a High Score Hall of Fame section on the website.

> Len is currently leading. There's a challenge for you all!
>
> "What're the scores on the board Miss Ford?" I hear you all ask.
> Welll...and I hasten to add tha I'm not the lovely Miss Ford...
>
> Llama Wax Len: 6420
> (Len's Robocop Waxing salon)
>
> Luv-Snail: 3859
> (The Chuntey Generator)
>
> Scribbler: 2446
> (Unknown)

3453 in Titch's Coats. More practice needed methinks... (but then I have
only been playing for five minutes)

Chris Young

Sep 6, 2002, 5:02:14 PM9/6/02
On 6 Sep 2002 18:57:40 +0100, Chris Young (of »SPOOL "fame")
wibbled on for an age:

> 3453 in Titch's Coats. More practice needed methinks... (but then I have
> only been playing for five minutes)

3574 now, still on that damn coats one.

Chris

--

Unsatisfactory Software - because it is
http://www.unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk

ICQ:28784166

Duncan Snowden

Sep 6, 2002, 9:32:56 PM9/6/02
Program: N Fishwick (FishyFish

> I shall endeavour to add a Z80 version to the site.

Hurrah! CBSpeccy does, in fact, load it, but it's a bit quiet, due to the
lack of beeper emulation.

It's quite difficult without sound. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to
it.

--
Duncan Snowden.

0 OK, 940:2

Nomenluni

Sep 6, 2002, 8:49:51 PM9/6/02
Bugger.....14882 Troll Invasion. Bugger.
Nomenluni

"N Fishwick (FishyFish)" <fish...@BTInternet.com> wrote in message

Nomenluni

Sep 6, 2002, 9:49:48 PM9/6/02
Hurrah!

25123 on *** L@@K, W@W, R@RE! ***

There was a trick to bumping the score up though. Just kill the Kong-like
Willow at the top of Mmmmmm Willow, get the objects and kill yourself.
Repeat until it clocks for your extra life at 20000 and go to the next level
with your last life intact. Not right and proper but still the high score!

Nomenluni

N Fishwick (FishyFish)

Sep 7, 2002, 5:41:41 AM9/7/02
On Sat, 7 Sep 2002 02:49:48 +0100, "Nomenluni"
<nome...@SPAMfoot.com> farted out the following incoherent babble:

>Hurrah!
>
>25123 on *** L@@K, W@W, R@RE! ***
>
>There was a trick to bumping the score up though. Just kill the Kong-like
>Willow at the top of Mmmmmm Willow, get the objects and kill yourself.
>Repeat until it clocks for your extra life at 20000 and go to the next level
>with your last life intact. Not right and proper but still the high score!

That's fair enough and a perfectly valid method. You're top of the
tree m'boy!

Fishy

--
Spectrum Games Maps at - http://www.btinternet.com/~fishyfish/

Manic Miner:c.s.s. - http://www.fishyfish.net/manic/

Woody

Sep 7, 2002, 5:55:22 AM9/7/02
On Sat, 07 Sep 2002 09:41:41 GMT, fish...@BTInternet.com (N Fishwick
(FishyFish)) wrote:

>On Sat, 7 Sep 2002 02:49:48 +0100, "Nomenluni"
><nome...@SPAMfoot.com> farted out the following incoherent babble:
>
>>Hurrah!
>>
>>25123 on *** L@@K, W@W, R@RE! ***
>>
>>There was a trick to bumping the score up though. Just kill the Kong-like
>>Willow at the top of Mmmmmm Willow, get the objects and kill yourself.
>>Repeat until it clocks for your extra life at 20000 and go to the next level
>>with your last life intact. Not right and proper but still the high score!
>>
>That's fair enough and a perfectly valid method. You're top of the
>tree m'boy!

Nah, I've beaten that score by a long shot. Of course the POKEs used
earn me immediate disqualification!

Chris Young

Sep 7, 2002, 6:29:33 AM9/7/02
On 07 Sep 2002 01:32:56, Duncan Snowden ate a Rolo, and turned into...
Duncan Snowden-Man! A super-hero with the power to write complete crap

to comp.sys.sinclair, such as this gem:

> > I shall endeavour to add a Z80 version to the site.

> Hurrah! CBSpeccy does, in fact, load it, but it's a bit quiet, due to the
> lack of beeper emulation.

CBSpeccy just switches my monitor off :-( It never used to, mind you my
icon dragging used to be smoother as well. I did something strange to
this machine when I reinstalled it, but I'm not entirely sure what as as
far as[1] I am aware all the same nasty hacks and patches are installed
as they were before. Tch, eh? Erm, why don't you use ASp - that loads
the Z80 perfectly (albeit runs slightly slower)

Chris

[1] y Too Many "as"s 17:2

luv-snail

Sep 7, 2002, 2:56:22 PM9/7/02
Lee Prince previously ejaculated:

> 10 PRINT "Derek Jolly woz 'ere 06 Sep 2002"
> 20 GO TO 10
>
>> Right. Let's see how I do after being on the piss all evening.
>>
>> One shot. No restarting.
>>
>> Score: 6562
>> Room: Len's Robocop Waxing Salon
>
> I got almost exactly the same results just now, although I did complete
> the game using repeated snapshot-saving (cheatingbast that I am).

Muhh.. I didn't think of cheating like that, speccy traditionalist that i
am.

even with cheatingbastness i haven't got past Lethal Chuntey Deficiency yet,
but I'm shit at Manic Miner.

Nomenluni

Sep 8, 2002, 1:01:24 PM9/8/02

> That's fair enough and a perfectly valid method. You're top of the
> tree m'boy!
>
> Fishy
> --

I had a go without the slightly dodgy point accumulator on Mmmmmm Willow -
although not quite as high a score as previous still not bad. Vampire
Willow - 24264 pts
Nomenluni

Llama-Wax Len

Sep 8, 2002, 5:31:23 PM9/8/02

> And to make it fair, no saving the game after each level. Only playing
> straight through until you die or complete it counts.

Well I am honest enough to admit that I eventually gave up trying to beat my
high score or complete it in "normal" play and reverted to the method above
as I just wanted to see what the other screens were like.

I have now completed it and I can safely say that without saving it
frequently, there is no way in hell I would ever come even close to
completing it.

Great game though! I particularly liked (a) "my" screen - the hat and
everything, (b) level 18 and (c) the way that the Listy's shirt screen
really hurt your eyes - just like the real thing!

Len
--
Remove SPAMOFF to reply
"Oh, the nobility of the almost human porpoise!"
DISCLAIMER: By replying to this message, you hereby acknowledge
that the ZX Spectrum game "Robocop" was too difficult.

Llama-Wax Len

Sep 8, 2002, 5:32:09 PM9/8/02

"N Fishwick (FishyFish)" <fish...@BTInternet.com> wrote in message

> [1] Although, to be honest you'd expect better, me being the designer
> and all...

Nothing wrong with that - I still can't complete my CSSCGC2000 entry, and
believe me I still try occasionally.

Chris Young

Sep 8, 2002, 6:59:30 PM9/8/02
On Sun, 8 Sep 2002 22:31:23 +0100, Llama-Wax Len ate a Rolo, and turned into...
Llama-Wax Len-Man! A super-hero with the power to write complete crap

to comp.sys.sinclair, such as this gem:

> Great game though! I particularly liked (a) "my" screen - the hat and

> everything, (b) level 18 and (c) the way that the Listy's shirt screen
> really hurt your eyes - just like the real thing!

What's so special about level 18?

(sorry, somebody had to say it, so I figured it may as well be me)

Chris

Duncan Snowden

Sep 9, 2002, 9:09:53 PM9/9/02
Chris Young. Saturday. comp.sys.sinclair. Tch, eh?

> On 07 Sep 2002 01:32:56, Duncan Snowden ate a Rolo, and turned into...
> Duncan Snowden-Man! A super-hero with the power to write complete crap
> to comp.sys.sinclair, such as this gem:
>
>>> I shall endeavour to add a Z80 version to the site.
>>
>> Hurrah! CBSpeccy does, in fact, load it, but it's a bit quiet, due to
>> the lack of beeper emulation.
>
> CBSpeccy just switches my monitor off :-( It never used to, mind you my
> icon dragging used to be smoother as well. I did something strange to
> this machine when I reinstalled it, but I'm not entirely sure what as
> as far as[1] I am aware all the same nasty hacks and patches are
> installed as they were before. Tch, eh? Erm, why don't you use ASp -
> that loads the Z80 perfectly (albeit runs slightly slower)

Well, I am. I meant that CBSpeccy loads the SNA.

--

Duncan Snowden.

6 Number too big, 1060:2

Mike Wynne

Sep 10, 2002, 4:52:24 AM9/10/02

"N Fishwick (FishyFish)" <fish...@BTInternet.com> wrote in message
> <drum roll>
>
> After 18 months of hard work (yeah, right) my Manic Miner rejig is
> ready to be revealed to the world for everyone to marvel in it's
> splendour.

Can I proclaim myself the crappest game player of all now?

I'v been playing with it for nearly a week now and I still can't get off the
first screen.

MikeW

Andy Cadley

Sep 10, 2002, 5:19:37 AM9/10/02

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Mike Wynne wrote:

> I'v been playing with it for nearly a week now and I still can't get off

Well stop it, you'll go blind!

Mmmmm creative editing...</homer>

AndyC

Paul French

Sep 10, 2002, 6:01:11 PM9/10/02
On Fri, 06 Sep 2002 18:49:53 GMT, fish...@BTInternet.com (N Fishwick
(FishyFish)) wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Sep 2002 19:06:46 GMT, fish...@BTInternet.com (N Fishwick
>(FishyFish)) farted out the following incoherent babble:
>
>Hah! I myself am now top of the scoreboard [1].
>
>Who'll be the first to embarrass me by usurping me from my lofty
>perch?
>
>Name Level Score
>Fishy *** L@@K, W@W, R@RE! *** 15987
>Matthew Clemson Lethal Chuntey Deficiency 10353
>Nomenluni Lethal Chuntey Deficiency 9008
>Derek Jolly Len's Robocop Waxing Salon 6562
>Llama Wax Len Len's Robocop Waxing salon 6420
>Luv-Snail The Chuntey Generator 3859
>Scribbler Unknown 2446
>
>Fishy
>
>[1] Although, to be honest you'd expect better, me being the designer
>and all...

What's the web page for this again? I can't remamber were I downloaded
it from.

Thanks.

--
Paul French
pfr...@spectrum20.freeserve.co.uk

Lee Prince

Sep 11, 2002, 3:09:42 AM9/11/02
10 PRINT "Paul French woz 'ere 10 Sep 2002"
20 GO TO 10

> What's the web page for this again? I can't remamber were I downloaded
> it from.

http://www.fishyfish.net/manic/

--
Lee Prince <mailto:leee.prince[at]virgin.net>

Paul French

Sep 11, 2002, 6:00:41 PM9/11/02
On 11 Sep 2002 07:09:42 GMT, Lee Prince <leee....@email.com> wrote:

>10 PRINT "Paul French woz 'ere 10 Sep 2002"
>20 GO TO 10
>
>> What's the web page for this again? I can't remamber were I downloaded
>> it from.
>
>http://www.fishyfish.net/manic/

Thanks Lee.

--
Paul French
pfr...@spectrum20.freeserve.co.uk

Llama-Wax Len

Sep 13, 2002, 2:52:02 PM9/13/02

"Mike Wynne" <mike...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Can I proclaim myself the crappest game player of all now?
>
> I'v been playing with it for nearly a week now and I still can't get off
the
> first screen.

Woo-hoo! It's official! I'm better than Mike Wynne at something [vaguely]
Spectrum related! Rolos are on me!

(Having now completed it using the save method, I am now trying to see how
far I can get honestly, while RZXing myself with the latest Spin - but I
keep arsing it up on the Len level, ironically enough)

Peter THOMA$

Sep 13, 2002, 5:39:12 PM9/13/02
On Fri, 13 Sep 2002 19:52:02 +0100, "Llama-Wax Len"
<al...@SPAMOFFauldgreytoon.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>I keep arsing it up on the Len level, ironically enough)

DISCLAIMER: By replying to this message, you hereby acknowledge
that the ZX Spectrum game "Manic Miner : CSS" had a level entitled
"Len's Robocop Llama Waxing Salon" which was too difficult.

--
pete {at} horseshoe-inn . co . uk
[New here? See http://faq.sinclairspectrum.com ]

"First screen? I can't even complete the main menu without a cheat mode."
- Llama-Wax Len