Can a Mac edit an iOS file over WiFi without iTunes existing on the Mac?

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 18, 2018, 5:48:05 PM3/18/18
Without adding any software whatsoever (e.g., no iTunes) on Windows 10, I
just edited an arbitrary iOS file from Windows, without the file ever being
on Windows, over my local WiFI LAN.

It was so easy to edit iOS files from Windows, once I realized the syntax,
that I just wonder if it's also that easy on the Mac to edit an arbitrary
file on iOS, from the Mac, over the WiFi LAN, without iTunes.

Is it?

Jolly Roger

Mar 18, 2018, 5:57:45 PM3/18/18
On 2018-03-18, Ragnusen Ultred <ragn...@ultred.com> wrote:
> Without adding any software whatsoever (e.g., no iTunes) on Windows
> 10, I just edited an arbitrary iOS file from Windows, without the file
> ever being on Windows, over my local WiFI LAN.

People have been editing files over network connections literally for
ages; but it took you NINE fucking DAYS to figure out it was even
possible. : D

> It was so easy to edit iOS files from Windows, once I realized the
> syntax, that I just wonder if it's also that easy on the Mac to edit
> an arbitrary file on iOS, from the Mac, over the WiFi LAN, without
> iTunes.
>
> Is it?

No way. Macs definitely don't do anything as advanced as file sharing over
a network. : D

JR

nospam

Mar 18, 2018, 6:01:49 PM3/18/18
In article <fh85mk...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
<jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> Macs definitely don't do anything as advanced as file sharing over
> a network. : D

macs use sneaker-net, but only with apple sneakers. :)

<https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/55146811/apple_brand
ed_sneakers.0.jpg>

Jolly Roger

Mar 18, 2018, 6:09:29 PM3/18/18
LOL! The guy is so fucking absurd! : D

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 18, 2018, 7:41:33 PM3/18/18
In article <news:fh86ck...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger wrote:

> LOL! The guy is so fucking absurd! : D

Classic response, proving, yet again, you half-dozen Apple Apologists don't
have the knowledge, nor the intent to be helpful, even for a basic question
such as that one asked.

joe

Mar 18, 2018, 9:08:11 PM3/18/18
On 3/18/2018 4:47 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
> Without adding any software whatsoever (e.g., no iTunes) on Windows 10, I
> just edited an arbitrary iOS file from Windows, without the file ever being
> on Windows, over my local WiFI LAN.

If you edited an arbitrary file, does that mean you can edit any file on
the iOS device?

> It was so easy to edit iOS files from Windows, once I realized the syntax,

So, what was the syntax so that this capability can be verified?

> that I just wonder if it's also that easy on the Mac to edit an arbitrary
> file on iOS, from the Mac, over the WiFi LAN, without iTunes.
>
> Is it?

Without telling us what you did, how is anyone going to be able to a
reasonable answer?

JF Mezei

Mar 18, 2018, 9:59:09 PM3/18/18
On 2018-03-18 17:47, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
> Without adding any software whatsoever (e.g., no iTunes) on Windows 10, I
> just edited an arbitrary iOS file from Windows, without the file ever being
> on Windows, over my local WiFI LAN.

iCloud makes this possible as your file actually exists on iCloud and
accessible from both your phone and desktop.

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 18, 2018, 10:04:36 PM3/18/18
In article <news:p8n2hm$l5a$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, joe wrote:

> If you edited an arbitrary file, does that mean you can edit any file on
> the iOS device?

Hi Joe,

It's all documented, in great detail, on the iOS newsgroup and on the
Windows and Linux newsgroups where we were able to peruse the iOS syslog
and mount three iOS file systems for two-way editing over USB (all without
putting any proprietary software on the Windows or Linux desktop).

Here are some linux screenshots from earlier today:
https://i.cubeupload.com/M07zxD.jpg
https://cubeupload.com/im/jSSQur.jpg
https://cubeupload.com/im/sn7VVE.jpg
https://cubeupload.com/im/J98DE4.jpg
https://cubeupload.com/im/MCzpKI.jpg
etc.

It's very exciting to be able to have a visibility into the very syslog of
the unjailbroken brand new iOS device over Linux & Windows that I wanted to
ask questions for learning more, but the iOS group was just filled to the
brim with little childrens' comments - so I figured there might be adults
on this newsgroup, like there are on the Android, Linux, and Windows
newsgroups.

Are adults here?
If so, to answer your question in detail (since I always prove what I say),
here's a copy of the relevant WiFi editing post to the Windows newsgroups,
where adults reside, who have been helping us edit files on iOS over WiFi.

Let me know if that doesn't explain how we did it, together, as an adult
team.
========== < cut here for verbatim post on Windows newsgroup > =========
In message-id Message-ID: <p8mcvq$o7j$1...@dont-email.me>,
Paul <nos...@needed.invalid> wrote:

> Someone could "port" what was done for Linux, to Windows,
> but... will they ? Will they charge money for it ?

Hi Paul,
Thanks for your help as seamless file transfer over WiFi and USB without
the restrictive iTunes abomination is something anyone with an iOS device
and Windows would want to do.

Based on your excellent advice and patient explanations, I've put trying to
get the three iOS mount points to work on Windows on the back burner.

Instead, I'm first going to document for the tribal-knowledge archives what
works best on Windows, where we already have both iOS HTTP & iOS FTP
servers working fine - so I'll document below how I enabled the freeware
iOS SMB server to play nice with Windows over WiFi.

1. On iOS, I started the freeware app "WiFi HD" and selected the
"Documents" tab in that freeware and turned it on, which gave
me a server address of smb://192.168.1.9 for that iOS device.
https://cubeupload.com/im/NXeNxF.jpg

2. On Windows 10 Pro, I added the following "network location":
Network Location = \\192.168.1.9\Documents
Windows-generated Name = Documents (192.168.1.9 (NQ CIFS Server))
https://cubeupload.com/im/WA2Y6W.jpg

2. On Windows 10 Pro, that iOS smb://192.168.1.9/Documents share
opened up automatically
https://cubeupload.com/im/mKpXx6.jpg
where I right clicked and created an empty text file on that
iOS SMB share where the file was named "jollyroger.txt".
https://cubeupload.com/im/jnKOmG.jpg
And then I doubleclicked on that iOS file from Windows to add content:
https://cubeupload.com/im/TXpVdE.jpg

3. Immediately, that file showed up in iOS when I refreshed WiFi HD:
https://cubeupload.com/im/CsJC3i.jpg

4. That's a clear test of seamlessness, but, as an optional additional
step, I decided to add to that text file from the Windows cmd line,
but Windows doesn't recognize SMB addresses at the command line.
c:\> cd \\192.168.1.9\Documents
'\\192.168.1.9\Documents'
CMD does not support UNC paths as current directories.

5. So I "mounted" the smb share as a removable drive on Windows:
c:\ net use S: \\192.168.1.9\Documents
The command completed successfully.

6. I then appended to that text file from the Windows 10 command line:
c:\> dir >> S:\jollyroger.txt
https://cubeupload.com/im/tyHgah.jpg

7. To prove all this action on Winodws was being done on the iOS device,
I opened the file in WiFi HD on the iOS device, which reveals both
actions worked seamlessly to edit iOS file from Windows.
https://cubeupload.com/im/qHAzwM.jpg

8. This file never left the iOS device, where the iOS device was being
edited from Windows the entire time and where the file can now be
moved on the iOS device to wherever we want to put it.
https://cubeupload.com/im/4eE3p9.jpg

In summary, this proves seamless integration of iOS with Windows over the
SMB protocol where it was easy to edit a file on the iOS device from the
Windows desktop over Wi-Fi.
https://cubeupload.com/im/KlFC1J.jpg

Notice the file never left the iOS device.
The iOS file was created and modified from the Windows desktop over WiFi.

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 18, 2018, 10:20:59 PM3/18/18
In article <news:LPErC.15500$q15....@fx34.iad>, JF Mezei wrote:

> iCloud makes this possible as your file actually exists on iCloud and
> accessible from both your phone and desktop.

Hi JF Mezei,

I appreciate that your answer is one an adult would give, since it's so
frustrating to ask any relevant questions on the iOS newsgroups where
little children far outnumber adults.

We've been making great progress on the Windows and Linux newsgroups with
the adults there, but they can't answer some of my questions that popped up
when we started gaining access to the iOS file system on both Windows and
Linux, sans installing any software whatsoever on Windows or Linux
(although we did update the default iDevice drivers on Linux to the latest
build).

The goal, always, is to avoid all proprietary solutions and to never put
our personal data on the Internet, so any cloud solution is just out of the
picture. Plus, last night we moved about 60GB of data onto the new iPad,
where that only took a few minutes over USB but which would have taken
forever using the Internet (we have slow WISP speeds).

What we were able to do was view the syslog of the iOS device from Linux,
where nothing was root and nothing was jailbroken and everything was stock
on both Linux and the iOS device.

So one of my first questions for Apple experts (where I'm just a noob) is
what's the significance of this syslog?
https://cubeupload.com/im/jSSQur.jpg
Do you Mac guys see it all the time like we Linux guys do?

There's another report we see from Linux which contains all the ids and
serial numbers and settings and chip IDs for the iOS device too - do you
guys see this report all the time from the Mac?
https://i.cubeupload.com/9NqTaE.jpg
If you see that report, like we do, what useful information do you get from
it?

In addition, we see file specs of this format, where I was curious if the
filespec is unique to the file, or unique to the app, or just unique to the
user, or what?
https://cubeupload.com/im/TkpHHR.jpg
Do you Mac folks know more about these file specs?
(I asked on the iOS newgroup but only received childish responses.)

Another open technical question I was hoping an Apple expert would know the
answer to that I have is what's the significance of this third iOS file
system mount point over USB?
https://cubeupload.com/im/MCzpKI.jpg

Notice that this third iOS filesystem mount point contains folders in
addition to the normal two mount points we're used to getting over the
years.
https://cubeupload.com/im/J98DE4.jpg

There is power in that intriguing third mount point because it allows write
acess into the file system that the first mount point (DCIM) doesn't allow:
https://cubeupload.com/im/sn7VVE.jpg

This whole quest to learn more about iOS to Linux & Windows networking
started from the simple desire to slide about 50GB to 100GB of files from
the desktops to the iOS device:
https://i.cubeupload.com/BOLdzU.jpg

In summary, the networking of Windows and Linux to iOS was so easy and so
powerful that it brought up a bunch of questions which the adults on the
Windows and Linux newsgroups won't know the answer to and the little babies
on the iOS newsgroups either don't know the answer or won't answer them.

So I was hoping to find adults here who can answer some of those question,
so the first question was whether the Mac had the /same/ capabilities of
seamless file editing and transfer sans iTunes that both Windows and Linux
has on iOS devices on the local network (or over USB).

Make sense?
(Let me know if you need something clarified as this is a lot of technical
detail for you to digest in a single post.)

Thanks!

Tyrone F. Horneigh

Mar 19, 2018, 12:05:47 AM3/19/18
Of course it is.

NEWSFLASH: User installs an SMB server onto an iPad, is then astonished
that he can transfer files over a network.

In related news, one can also install a "browser" and then look at "web
sites" from all over the world.

MPEG at 11.

joe

Mar 19, 2018, 11:43:32 AM3/19/18
I see lots of words, but not an answer to my question. You indicated an
arbitrary file, but all I see is manipulating files in the workspace for
"WiFi HD". "WiFi HD" may only expose its workspace and not the whole iOS
files system. Therefore saying you can edit any arbitrary file is
misleading.

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 19, 2018, 4:49:02 PM3/19/18
In article <news:p8olqu$1tr8$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, joe wrote:

> I see lots of words, but not an answer to my question. You indicated an
> arbitrary file, but all I see is manipulating files in the workspace for
> "WiFi HD". "WiFi HD" may only expose its workspace and not the whole iOS
> files system. Therefore saying you can edit any arbitrary file is
> misleading.

Thanks for your response where I think I provided you too much detail so
you ended up being confused over a meaningless semantic issue where the
fact we have visibility into nonjailbroken iOS devices' root file system of
the iOS device is where the technical questions lie.

Please forget silly semantics to concentrate on the technical details.
Look at this screenshot please: *https://i.cubeupload.com/6PTcs1.jpg*

Do you notice the visibility into the root file system of the iOS device?

If that capability exists on the Mac, then I would like to ask "technical"
questions of that capability.

Fair enough?

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 19, 2018, 4:55:53 PM3/19/18
In article <news:jPGdnZ52sJmJqjLH...@supernews.com>, Tyrone F.
Horneigh wrote:

> Of course it is.
>
> NEWSFLASH: User installs an SMB server onto an iPad, is then astonished
> that he can transfer files over a network.
>
> In related news, one can also install a "browser" and then look at "web
> sites" from all over the world.
>
> MPEG at 11.

Good! Whew. I was beginnign to thing that this Apple newsgroup was also
comprised only of little children, so I thank for you being an adult when
confirming that the Mac has the same capabilities outside of iTunes that
Linux has, because I'd like to ask some questions about those native
capabilities.

Please take a look at this summary screenshot I prepared for you today:
https://i.cubeupload.com/6PTcs1.jpg

While I have a few technical questions about the power involved in that
screenshot, I don't want to confuse you like I seem to have confused that
person "Joe" with too many technical details, so I'll just ask a single one
of the many questions I have for you Mac users.

Since just plugging in the iOS device to Linux (and, as you said, also to
the Mac) exposes the iOS root file system and syslog, my first question is
what other root system logs are exposed when you plug in iOS devices to
your Macs?

Q: Which root logs do you peruse on the iOS device other than syslog?

joe

Mar 19, 2018, 5:23:29 PM3/19/18
Still, can you edit any file? Can you demonstrate that, or not?

A cluttered jpg isn't showing that.

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 19, 2018, 5:30:10 PM3/19/18
In article <news:p8p9oc$1shc$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, joe wrote:

> Still, can you edit any file? Can you demonstrate that, or not?
>
> A cluttered jpg isn't showing that.

I think again, Joe, at least from your statements, that it seems you're
quite easily confused by the factual detail in the screenshot, which you
call 'clutter' but using that term for technical detail is perhaps an
indication that you may have missed the technical detail completely.

If you don't know the answer, that's fine - just say so ... but I might
need to refer you back to that "cluttered" screenshot which proves
visibility into the root file system.

Again, if you don't know any technical answers, that's OK as I don't know
the techical answers either - which is why I'm asking them.

But let's not waste time on silly semantics.

Let's just ask one of those technical questions because the answer to the
question is the only thing that matters here.

When you connect your non-jailbroken iOS device to your Mac sans iTunes and
you instantly get visibility into the root file system, which logs do you
normally peruse other than the syslog?

joe

Mar 19, 2018, 5:47:23 PM3/19/18
In other words, YOU can't answer a simple question.

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 19, 2018, 8:24:53 PM3/19/18
In article <news:p8pb57$v5$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, joe wrote:

> In other words, YOU can't answer a simple question.

Hi Joe,

Are you an adult?

I ask because you sound very much like nospam, who is one of the child-like
people who post to the Apple-related newsgroups by locking on to silly
semantic issues without ever intending to contribute adult value, where
that assessment is made on the fact that you're fixated on silly semantics
instead of answering the technical question posed.

I know you're not nospam, because in addition to your child-like responses,
you are quite easily confused by technical detail - which is not a trait of
nospam's as he's actually intelligent.

All you're really proving is that, if there are adults on this newsgroup,
you're not one of them, but, I, as an adult, will adequately answer your
question, hoping that the level of detail isn't too much for you to
comprehend.

Since I'm hoping that adults here will answer some of the technical
questions, I am bothering to answer your childish accusations, where I'm
hoping the adults here, if they exist, can see that I don't make things up
(which is a classic inbred trait of the children on the iOS newsgroup).

To answer your question, first take a look at this screenshot:
https://cubeupload.com/im/YaGMw9.jpg

Notice I chose an arbitrary file to open in the text editor, which, in this
case is the SysInfoExtended file which is located in the iTunes_Control >
Device hierarchy (whatever that hierarch is for).

Also notice in that screenshot we have visibility to what appears to be the
root file system of the iOS device, namely Applications, Developer,
Library, System, bin, cores, dev, etc, private, sbin, tmp, user, var, etc.

Now take a look at this second screenshot I made for you, bearing in mind
that you're making me do a lot of work and where you're not contributing a
single iota of adult value to the discussion.
https://cubeupload.com/im/Vc8bfR.jpg

That screenshot has an arbitrary binary file open in my editor, where that
binary file is named "IC-info.sidl" and it's located in iTunes_Control >
iTunes hierarchy.

Despite the fact that it's clear you wish to not contribute as an adult to
the technical discussion, you wish for me to prove that I can create an
arbitrary file, so, to appease your childish curiosity, I went to the
trouble and risk of creating this arbitrary file, named "foo_is_joe" in the
MediaAnalysis hiararchy (whatever that hierarchy is for).
https://cubeupload.com/im/bHtod1.jpg

As you can see, I edited that arbitrary file and added arbitrary text of
"This is joe", taking the risk that this could screw up my iOS device since
I have no idea what this MediaAnalysis directory is for.

Going to greater effort to answer your question, even though I doubt you
will /ever/ be able to answer any adult question posed on this newsgroup
(based on what you've already written), I created /another/ arbitrary file,
this one named "joe_is_foo", with more arbitrary text, located in the
iTunes_Control hierarchy, again taking risks of screwing something up since
I have no idea what these hiearchies are for.
https://cubeupload.com/im/NXB3Lb.jpg

Now Joe, are you an adult or not?

Having appeased your need for silly semantics (much like nospam does), I'm
going to assume that you actually know more than I do (where, for example,
once nospam gets past his childish games, he proves he knows iOS better
than almost all the posters on the iOS newsgroup other than the likes of
David Empson, or sms or sobriquet or JF Mezei, etc.).

Since I went to the trouble of booting back to Linux, setting up those
screenshots, editing arbitrary files that could screw with my iOS device
simply because they are arbitrary files of arbitrary content in arbitrary
locations that I don't even know what those locations are for ... having
done all that for you Joe ... now all I want you to do is answer a basic
technical question....

Can you do that Joe?
I realize it's an adult task I'm asking of you.

Are you adult enough to agree to answer a simple technical question?
Or are you going to again prove that you're simply a child?

I'll await your response before asking you that adult technical question.

--
HINT: If you're a child, then I have no use for you & neither does anyone else.

joe

Mar 19, 2018, 8:40:40 PM3/19/18
You stated you could edit an arbitrary file on an iOS system over WiFi.
Since you said arbitrary, I asked if that meant any file.

You show results that seem to be limiter to only those files in the apps
workspace, not any file on the iOS device.

Then you show files on the device connected via USB.

All the while, you are throwing insults.

You simply cannot answer the question posed. Specifically, can you edit
any iOS file over WiFi, using "WiFi HD"?

Uultred ragnusen

Mar 19, 2018, 11:21:57 PM3/19/18
joe <no...@domain.invalid> wrote:

> You stated you could edit an arbitrary file on an iOS system over WiFi.
> Since you said arbitrary, I asked if that meant any file.

Hi Joe, (aka Snit),

I'm officially frustrated by your moronic classic nospam and Snit-like
silly wasteful tricks - and - in fact - since you've admitted that facts
confuse you - you're not nospam but you could very well be Snit - which
means this is the last time I'm going to deal with you in this thread
because you, Joe Snit, are the most persistent fool on the planet.

Hence, this is my last response to you because you Joe Snit (a) are a
child, and (b) you've already proven that the slightest amount of technical
detail is too much, and (c) I can tell by your nospam-like Snit-like
latching onto a silly semantic game indicates that you don't have any
technical capabilities whatsoever.

In a word, Joe Snit, you're wasting not only my valuable time, but the far
more valuable time of everyone reading this drivel.

> You show results that seem to be limiter to only those files in the apps
> workspace, not any file on the iOS device.

I said I could create an arbitrary file, one of which was named
"joe_is_foo" with arbitrary content in some arbitrary location which I
don't even remember what it was as it's still on the iPad and I can't
access it from the iPad, wherever I put it - and I did that in two
locations, and you /still/ want to play your silly semantic games.

Joe Snit - you're a child.
Joe Snit - you are not technically competent.

Joe Snit - if there are any technically competent adults on these
Apple-related newsgroups, you have proven amply, in the past five
ping-pongs in this thread, that you're clearly not one of them.

> Then you show files on the device connected via USB.

Joe Snit - you are far too easily confused by technical details.

This is Usenet.
Face it.

Usenet is a bit confusing because we don't have a dozen editors leaning
over our shoulders when we write, where they can proof read what we write
so that kindergarten mentalities like your Snit-like mind can understand
what we wrote.

We don't edit out all the details so that your Snit-like feeble mind won't
see technical detail as mere "clutter".

You've proven, Joe Snit, that you are a man-child, one with no adult
comprehensive capabilities - and one who can't possibly contribute to any
adult technical conversation.

Go away Joe Snit.
Go away.

Do everyone a favor.
Go away.

You're not an adult.

> All the while, you are throwing insults.

Read the thread. I'm only responding to you Joe Snit in the way you
deserve.

You admitted you can't handle technical detail.
You admitted you're playing silly semantic games.

You have zero desire to help.
You have zero adult comprehensive capabilities.

I want you to go away.
If telling you the truth about yourself makes you go away, then so be it.

I am not responding to you further because if there are any adults on this
Apple newsgroup, you've proven that you're not one of them.

> You simply cannot answer the question posed. Specifically, can you edit
> any iOS file over WiFi, using "WiFi HD"?

Go away Snit.
You are a child.

You can't answer a single technical question correct.
You /still/ think a decibel and a megabit are the same thing for heaven's
sake.

And you'll post eight hundred (yes, eight hundred!) posts saying the same
thing about Android functionality - where you, Joe Snit, are the only
person I've ever killfiled in my decades (yes decades) of being on Usenet.

I can't post eight hundred replies to your silly semantic games.
I just can't.

Go away. Joe Snit.
If there are adults on this Apple newsgroup, you're not one of them.

dorayme

Mar 20, 2018, 12:50:47 AM3/20/18
In article <p8puof$1kns$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
Uultred ragnusen <ult...@ragnusen.com> wrote:

> You're not an adult.

Hi, Ur, came across one of your posts by accident. Got anything
against children?

--
dorayme

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 20, 2018, 1:12:11 AM3/20/18
In article
<news:do_ray_me-562FC...@46.sub-75-242-165.myvzw.com>, dorayme
wrote:

> Hi, Ur, came across one of your posts by accident. Got anything
> against children?

Hi dorayme

I have been on Usenet for decades, where I ask questions, and I summarize
answers, some of which have never been answered before (to my knowledge).

Children on this newsgroup simply play silly games and waste our time.

I am on MANY newsgroups, where there are few adults on the Apple
newsgroups.

Why?
I don't know why.

Just look at the responses in this thread to see the veracity of my
statements. Jolly Roger. nospam. Joe Snit. Tyrone F. Norneigh.

Children all.
They simply play.

They have zero adult comprehensive capabilities.
Their entire belief systems are mere fantasies in their mind.

They rebel against fact.
They rebel against truth.

In the mind of the child, they call such things trolls.
And yet, they play their incessant silly games.

As Joe Snit just did. And will forever do.
They never grow up. They can't grow up. It's not in them.

They're not adults.
Adults populate the Windows group. The Linux group. The Android group.

But, how many posts in this thread have been from adults?
Why are the Apple groups filled to the brim with babies?

You tell me why.
I just know what is.
I do not, myself, know why.

Do you?

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 20, 2018, 1:19:55 AM3/20/18
In article <news:p8q578$4ie$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:

> I have been on Usenet for decades, where I ask questions, and I summarize
> answers, some of which have never been answered before (to my knowledge).

By way of example, these related threads were created at the same time as
this thread, and yet, adults answered, helped, advised, suggested, replied.

alt.os.linux.
Only if you use iOS: What do you use to interface to Ubuntu 17.10?

alt.comp.os.windows-10
Do you have an iOS device? How to get it to xfer screenshots to Windows 10

alt.comp.os.windows-10
Trying to make the Win10 start menu work - can it do more than 5 groups?

One adult can ask a question.
Another adult purposefully helps answer it.

Together, they resolve the technical issues.

Fancy that.
Adults exist.

Just not very much on the Apple newsgroups.
Why?
I don't know why.

I know what is.
But I don't know why it is what it is.

Do you?

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 20, 2018, 10:15:07 AM3/20/18
In article <news:fhcb0q...@mid.individual.net>, Lloyd Parsons wrote:

> There it is! I knew that question in one form or another, would come
> up quickly.
>
> Joe, you know have joined his circle jerk.

Hi Lloyd,

Think about your post, and the veracity of my response.
I only speak fact.

Fact is, if there are adults on this newsgroup, you have yet to post you're
one of them, and, in fact, your own evidence seems to indicate otherwise.

I'm not here to play your silly games; I'm here for technical answers from
adults.

Here's a chance for you to reveal a modicum of adult technical capability.

Q: When you see this mount point on your Mac, what is this file system?
https://cubeupload.com/im/MCzpKI.jpg

Lloyd

Mar 20, 2018, 3:31:11 PM3/20/18
Ragnusen Ultred <ragn...@ultred.com> Wrote in message:
> In article <news:fhcb0q...@mid.individual.net>, Lloyd Parsons wrote:
>
>> There it is! I knew that question in one form or another, would come
>> up quickly.
>>
>> Joe, you know have joined his circle jerk.
>
> Hi Lloyd,
>
> Think about your post, and the veracity of my response.
> I only speak fact.
>
> Fact is, if there are adults on this newsgroup, you have yet to post you're
> one of them, and, in fact, your own evidence seems to indicate otherwise.

Yet not long ago you were complimenting me for being an adult in a
different newsgroup. That lasted up until you started your usual
bullshit and I called you on it, then and only then, was I no
longer an adult.

BTW, there's a reasonable possibility that I've actually been an
adult longer than you.

> I'm not here to play your silly games; I'm here for technical answers from
> adults.

No, you are not here to do that at all. You are here to start
with a somewhat reasonable question and then you proceed every
single time to make it into a collection of snarky remarks,
insults and degrading others in the newsgroup, and even the whole
Apple community. It never fails, it never is anything
esle.

> Here's a chance for you to reveal a modicum of adult technical capability.
>
> Q: When you see this mount point on your Mac, what is this file system?
> https://cubeupload.com/im/MCzpKI.jpg

Nope, not responding to your request.

--
Lloyd

dorayme

Mar 20, 2018, 8:01:44 PM3/20/18
In article <p8q578$4ie$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
Ragnusen Ultred <ragn...@ultred.com> wrote:

> In article
> <news:do_ray_me-562FC...@46.sub-75-242-165.myvzw.com>, dorayme
> wrote:
>
> > Hi, Ur, came across one of your posts by accident. Got anything
> > against children?
>
> Hi dorayme
>
> I have been on Usenet for decades,

And you go on with every kind of irrelevance to my question. You seem
to extol adulthood and I was just wondering why? Do you associate
being adult with maturity of thought and reasoning power and other
good things in spite of the evidence around the world to the contrary!

--
dorayme

dorayme

Mar 20, 2018, 8:05:17 PM3/20/18
In article <p8q5lo$5ta$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
Ragnusen Ultred <ragn...@ultred.com> wrote:

> In article <news:p8q578$4ie$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
>
> > I have been on Usenet for decades, where I ask questions, and I summarize
> > answers, some of which have never been answered before (to my knowledge).
>
> By way of example, these related threads were created at the same time as
> this thread, and yet, adults answered, helped, advised, suggested, replied.

I think you will find, if you investigate, that all those who have
helped you might well have been under the age of five. So, maybe
change your mantras. Just because JR is a an agist sexist creepy slime
ball does not mean he is a child. Please stop denigrating children.

--
dorayme

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 20, 2018, 8:53:05 PM3/20/18
In article <news:fhd5rr...@mid.individual.net>, Lloyd wrote:

> Yet not long ago you were complimenting me for being an adult in a
> different newsgroup. That lasted up until you started your usual
> bullshit and I called you on it, then and only then, was I no
> longer an adult.

Hi Lloyd,
I only speak fact.

One thing you have to /understand/ which will require adult comprehensive
capabilities on your part ... so please listen carefully because facts will
be involved.

I ask questions.
I respond to the replies.

If and when you act like an adult, I respond to you like an adult would.
If and when you act like a child, I respond to you telling you that you're
acting like a child.

Hence, it's a fact that, when you act like an adult, I tell you so - and -
it's just as much a fact that when you act like a child - I tell you so.

That this obvious fact seems to confuse you is worrisome because it's so
basic that it makes me wonder about your lack of comprehensive
capabilities.

Are you an adult or not?
Can you answer a single basic technical question, or not?

That's what matters here.
And so far, you have added zero technical value to this thread.

That's a fact.

> BTW, there's a reasonable possibility that I've actually been an
> adult longer than you.

Hi Lloyd,
I think you failed to comprehend /what/ an adult means.
It's not an age.

A mentally retarded octogenarian might have the mental age of a child.

You are, on Usenet, what you write.

While I have contributed to the technical content of this thread, you,
Lloyd, you have contributed exactly zero adult technical content to this
thread.

That's a fact.

> No, you are not here to do that at all. You are here to start
> with a somewhat reasonable question and then you proceed every
> single time to make it into a collection of snarky remarks,
> insults and degrading others in the newsgroup, and even the whole
> Apple community. It never fails, it never is anything
> esle.

Hi Lloyd,

You again lack simple adult comprehensive skills.

Just take a /look/ at the answers to my simple technical question.
C'mon. Take a look.

Do you notice the immense energy I expended on Snit Joe?
Do you?

Or are you a child blind to facts?
Look.
Look again.

Look at my response to JF Mezei.
Look at my response to Tyrone.
Look at my response to the Jolly Roger/nospam due.

Assuming you have adult comprehensive skills, you'll note one thing in all
my tens of thousands, nay, hundreds of thousands of posts over the years.

What do you notice?
C'mon Lloyd. I'm assuming you have basic adult comprehensive skills.

HINT: Do you notice that I respond sincerely in kind to the intent of the
post? Do you?

Do you think Jolly Roger had a single iota of helpful intent?
(Ask dorayme if you're confused about the answer to that simple question.)

Do you think nospam had any desire to be helpful?
C'mon Lloyd. Think. Close your eyes. Sit down. And think.

Not one person who has posted, other than me, has contributed one iota to
the technical content. Not one.

All the posts, with the possible exception of one or two, were /intended/
to be unhelpful.

And yet, notice that this Joe Snit fool, I gave him the benefit of the
doubt, until he proved again he is a Snit in all ways. And yet, look Lloyd.
Look. I answered his questions with far more adult thought than he put into
his.

Remember, I provided /immense/ detail to answer the Joe Snit questions.
And what did he do in turn.

He simply proved he's a child with zero intention to be helpful, and worse,
with zero capabiltiy to add technical value.

You, Lloyd, are similar to Jolly Roger and nospam and Joe Snit, are you
not?
How much intention do you have in being helpful?
How much technical value can you add?

Remember, it's not me that makes this group filled with children.
Remember, I talk about Windows and Android and Linux all the time, good or
bad, in the associated newsgroups.

It's /only/ on this newsgroup where little children fill the group to the
brim.

I don't mind, actually, that you, Lloyd, act like a child, nor that dorayme
is acting like a child, since I don't expect adult value out of you.

But I wonder why you don't see yourself?
I see myself.

On all other newsgroups but Apple newsgroups, we get answers to the same
questions asked on the Apple newsgroups.

Yet ... On Apple newsgroups, we get childish drivel.

Why is that Joe?

HINT: The answer lies in those who are on this Apple newsgroup since that's
the only difference.

> Nope, not responding to your request.

Hi Lloyd,
Do you think I can't read you like a book?

I /knew/ you were technically incapable of answering even the /simplest/ of
technical questions.

All you do is prove my points.

Thank you, by the way, for proving two things:
a. This Apple newsgroup is comprised almost completely of children,
b. Who have almost zero technical capabilities in the real world.

All you can do, which you constantly prove, is punch buttons where people
like Jolly Roger considers himself a veritable genius, simply because he
can get apps to talk to each other inside the walled garden.

This is a fact.

The adult question, Lloyd, is are you any different than Jolly Roger when
it's a proven fact you also can't answer the /simplest/ of technical
questions?

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 20, 2018, 8:53:10 PM3/20/18
In article
<news:do_ray_me-1CA6F...@46.sub-75-242-165.myvzw.com>, dorayme
wrote:

> And you go on with every kind of irrelevance to my question. You seem
> to extol adulthood and I was just wondering why? Do you associate
> being adult with maturity of thought and reasoning power and other
> good things in spite of the evidence around the world to the contrary!

Hi dorayme,

I'm taking your comments seriously, where my observation is that the people
who post to the Apple-related newsgroups, act like children do, when
compared to the people who post to the other platform groups, and, where
it's proven time and again, with threads of exactly the same initial
content.

Apple users, overall, appear to be of child-like mentality, which is
proven, at least for the posters in this thread, by what they write in
response to valid technical questions.

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 20, 2018, 8:53:12 PM3/20/18
In article
<news:do_ray_me-D3D19...@46.sub-75-242-165.myvzw.com>, dorayme
wrote:

> I think you will find, if you investigate, that all those who have
> helped you might well have been under the age of five. So, maybe
> change your mantras. Just because JR is a an agist sexist creepy slime
> ball does not mean he is a child. Please stop denigrating children.

Hi dorayme,

What's odd is that it's only on certain newsgroups that exude a pervasive
child-like mentality, where one of those newsgroups, for example, is
alt.free.newsservers, and another is comp.os.linux.advocacy, where the
children have ruined the group for the adults.

What's an oddity is that, of all the mainstream platform groups, (linux,
windows, mac, android & iOS), only the Apple groups are filled to the brim
with child-like people.

The proof has been provided so many times that it's not funny, where you
can ask the exact same question, separately, of each group, and only on the
Apple-related newsgroups is the thread filled to the brim with Snit-like

Why are the Apple-related posters almost all children?
I don't know why.

I suspect it's because the Apple users, in general, are not very technical,
as witnessed by the fact that they lie constantly, fabricating
functionality that simply doesn't exist.

In fact, they almost never can answer a technical question, and, they
almost never tell the truth.

Why?
I really don't know why.

It could be that the truth threatens their belief system.

In fact, it could be that the Apple user chose a platform based on a
religious indoctrination by Apple Marketing which can't sustain facts.

Facts /threaten/ their very belief system.

Hence, that's why the Apple user constantly, on these newgroups, fabricates
fictional imaginary functionality, which they can never prove exists.

Bear in mind that I'm sure there are /some/ adults on this newsgroup, but
none of answered any technical questions ... mainly because they're not
very technical - but at least they have the sense to stay out of a
discussion which is so far over their head that they can't add any value to
it.

Having said all that, I do believe that there /must/ be a percentage of
Apple users on these Apple newsgroups who are adults. Just not many (as has
been proven in spades in this thread).

Alan Baker

Mar 20, 2018, 11:01:50 PM3/20/18
On 2018-03-20 5:53 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
> In article
> <news:do_ray_me-D3D19...@46.sub-75-242-165.myvzw.com>, dorayme
> wrote:
>
>> I think you will find, if you investigate, that all those who have
>> helped you might well have been under the age of five. So, maybe
>> change your mantras. Just because JR is a an agist sexist creepy slime
>> ball does not mean he is a child. Please stop denigrating children.
>
> Hi dorayme,

You, sir, are a tedious twit.

dorayme

Mar 21, 2018, 1:50:29 AM3/21/18
In article <p8sadh$fb8$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
Ragnusen Ultred <ragn...@ultred.com> wrote:

> In article
> <news:do_ray_me-1CA6F...@46.sub-75-242-165.myvzw.com>, dorayme
> wrote:
>
> > And you go on with every kind of irrelevance to my question. You seem
> > to extol adulthood and I was just wondering why? Do you associate
> > being adult with maturity of thought and reasoning power and other
> > good things in spite of the evidence around the world to the contrary!
>
> Hi dorayme,
>
> I'm taking your comments seriously, where my observation is that the people
> who post to the Apple-related newsgroups, act like children do...

I have met a lot of children and never have come across any that act
like some of the unsavoury characters that post regularly here. I know
you only speak facts, much to be admired, so I must accept that you
are right and that my experience has been limited.

Jolly Roger *is* - surprise, surprise - an unpleasant child! There was
I thinking he was just another dirt-bag adult!

--
dorayme

dorayme

Mar 21, 2018, 2:01:14 AM3/21/18
In article <p8sadj$fb8$2...@gioia.aioe.org>,
Ragnusen Ultred <ragn...@ultred.com> wrote:

> Why are the Apple-related posters almost all children?
> I don't know why.

As you only speak fact (myself, I prefer fiction.... but it's a free
world and I do acknowledge that *adults* like you and a visitor to
your earth planet like me, can differ in a most mature and civilised
manner. So, Jolly Old Roger is a child eh? Well, well! I have to say,
he is a very naughty one and is being brought up very slackly.

--
dorayme

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 21, 2018, 9:31:45 AM3/21/18
In article <news:p8shuo$o56$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Alan Baker wrote:

> You, sir, are a tedious twit.

Hi Alan Baker,

I saw your header, and I opened it hopefully, hoping beyond hope, that an
adult exists on this Apple newsgroup.

Alas, you have proven in your very statement, that you're not one of them.

The question remains for dorayme why the Apple newsgroups are filled to the
brim with people who seem to be afraid of facts.

It's almost like the religious arguments where people who espouse religion
are afraid of facts.

I will never know why the posters to this newsgroup lack both adult mental
acuity and why, at the same time, they're deathly afraid of facts.

But every post by them proves my observations, in spades.
Don't you agree, Alan Baker?

Uultred ragnusen

Mar 21, 2018, 9:38:59 AM3/21/18
dorayme <do_r...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> As you only speak fact (myself, I prefer fiction.... but it's a free
> world and I do acknowledge that *adults* like you and a visitor to
> your earth planet like me, can differ in a most mature and civilised
> manner. So, Jolly Old Roger is a child eh? Well, well! I have to say,
> he is a very naughty one and is being brought up very slackly.

I was in the Great Books' local group for decades, where /they/ prefer
fiction, but now, decades later, I prefer facts.

To your point, almost /all/ the Apple posters, on both the iOS and mac
groups, post as if they have child-like minds.

This is an observation of mine which, you must agree, dorayme, is amply
exemplified in this very thread, is it not?

Remember, we have similar (if not exact) threads on the other platform
groups, where it's always the Apple-related threads that /instantly/
devolve to childish antics such as the incessant need of the posters on
this newgroup to fabricate fictional functionaly that simply doesn't exist.

As you're well aware, nospam has a habit of doing that just as much as
Jolly Roger does.

I only make a factual observation which, you must admit, has been borne out
in this thread in spades, so the acuity of my observation stands the test
of time.

Q: Why do Apple posters on the mac and ios newsgroup act like children do?
A: I don't know why.

I suspect it could be that the Apple user, in general, isn't very
technical, but there are plenty of non-technical non-Apple users out there.

I suspect it could be that the Apple user, in general, bought a
well-marketed house of cards, but again, there are plenty of non-technical
people who have bought what amounts to a "religious" argument which can't
stand the test of fact.

Q: Why do Apple posters on the mac and ios threads often act like babies?
A: You tell me. I only know the fact is that they consistently do.

Uultred ragnusen

Mar 21, 2018, 9:48:07 AM3/21/18
dorayme <do_r...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> I have met a lot of children and never have come across any that act
> like some of the unsavoury characters that post regularly here.

Hi dorayme,

I've taught at many schools, and have been a substitute teacher at
elementary schools, where I would say that, especially in the potty-mouth
years, that the posters here, Lewis, Jolly Roger, and BK@OnRamp in
particular, but also Alan Baker and Joe Snit - act like the children do in
their potty-mouth years.

Those children have learned that they can use potty-mouth words and get
away with it. Why do they do this in that potty-mouth phase? I don't know
why.

I suspect it's because they have no other power, so this is their way of
expressing their ability to say potty-mouthed words which makes /them/ feel
strong.

> I know
> you only speak facts, much to be admired, so I must accept that you
> are right and that my experience has been limited.

I have much experience in the ways of innuendo, where it's clear that we
steer this discussion to the points we wish to make. :)

I say that with respect dorayme, where you must be reminded of a fact,
which is that I don't respond to what you wrote in the past, but to what
you write now.

'Tis my gift, to take what you write on its own merits; hence I acknoweldge
that you feel I'm not getting your point and that I'm lecturing a point
which is different than yours.

My point is on topic though, which is that this thread will /never/ get
even the /simplest/ of answers out of the mac (and iOS) posters, simply
becuase they don't have the type of adult mind that /can/ accurately answer
technical questions.

The mac users here only know what Apple marketing herself fed them.

> Jolly Roger *is* - surprise, surprise - an unpleasant child! There was
> I thinking he was just another dirt-bag adult!

Jolly Roger is, in a word, worthless. His own words betray that his mind
works at the sub-adult level, where, when confronted with facts, he
instantly responds with hateful vitriol.

Why?
I don't know why.

I suspect, unlike nospam's world which exists outside the walled garden,
Jolly Roger's world is /completely/ ensconced inside the sweet Marketing
whispers inside the magical walled garden.

It's a mythical belief system for Jolly Roger.
Any fact that threatens his mythical belief system causes hateful tirades
from Jolly Roger.

But each of the posters in this thread have proven a different childish
attitude, such as that one just now from Llyod, who thinks that if he acted
like an adult would, just once, then he should be considered an adult even
when he acts like a child would.

Alan Baker

Mar 21, 2018, 12:48:32 PM3/21/18
Sorry, but you're still a tedious twit.

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 21, 2018, 1:24:33 PM3/21/18
In article <news:210320181658332513%timst...@greenbee.net>, Tim Streater
wrote:

> Which facts would those be, then? Do tell, I'm keen to know.

The fact is that not a single technical question asked in this thread has
been correctly answered by a single mac poster.

That is a fact.

Why do the mac posters not correctly answer questions?

More to the point, why do the Mac posters /fabricate/ fictional Mac
functionality, in an attempt to answer the technical questions?

I do not know why.
You tell me.

They do the same thing on the iOS newsgroup.
When asked a question, they fabricate fictional iOS functionality that only
exists in their mind.

Why do the mac users do the same thing.

I'll give you a chance, Tim Streator, to prove whether you're an adult with
technical skills or not.

I already provided screenshots galore of the stated functionanlity.
Do you have that same functionality on the Mac, or not?

Since the Mac (and iOS) users lie like children, your words will need to be
backed up by proof, just as I backed up mine with proof (as I am an
educated adult who values my technical credibility).

The fact is that the mac users either lied or, they can't back up what they
say. On the iOS group, when that happens (which happens incessantly), it's
always because they lie.

What is it here.
Do any technically compete tent adults exist on this mac newsgroup?

Q: Can a Mac edit an iOS file over WiFi without iTunes existing on the Mac?
A: ? (since mac users lie so often, you'll actually need to supply proof)

Uultred ragnusen

Mar 21, 2018, 1:29:59 PM3/21/18
Alan Baker <alang...@telus.net> wrote:

> Sorry, but you're still a tedious twit.

Your response when asked to answer the /simplest/ of questions about the
mac proves that you act like a child would act when confronted with facts
you simply don't like.

Alan Baker

Mar 21, 2018, 1:31:03 PM3/21/18
I wasn't asked to answer any questions, twit.

dorayme

Mar 21, 2018, 7:21:33 PM3/21/18
In article <p8tmrs$l7e$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
Ragnusen Ultred <ragn...@ultred.com> wrote:

> The question remains for dorayme why the Apple newsgroups are filled to the
> brim with people who seem to be afraid of facts.

A question for me? Not sure anyone here is afraid of facts. Doesn't
mean, of course, that too many know how to use them.

> I will never know why the posters to this newsgroup lack both adult mental
> acuity and why, at the same time, they're deathly afraid of facts.

Well, let's see about this counterfactual. Maybe, in this possible
world you are imagining, not being intellectually mature makes its
inhabitants anxious when they cannot fit facts into their childish
schemes? Does this help your understanding?

--
dorayme

dorayme

Mar 21, 2018, 7:35:52 PM3/21/18
In article <p8tn9f$pst$1...@news.mixmin.net>,
Uultred ragnusen <ult...@ragnusen.com> wrote:

> I was in the Great Books' local group for decades, where /they/ prefer
> fiction, but now, decades later, I prefer facts.
>
> To your point, almost /all/ the Apple posters, on both the iOS and mac
> groups, post as if they have child-like minds.
>
> This is an observation of mine which, you must agree, dorayme, is amply
> exemplified in this very thread, is it not?

Very amply. I made a visual representation of their posts and the
figure came out like an even more frightening version of King Kong
than in the original film.

> As you're well aware, nospam has a habit of doing that just as much as
> Jolly Roger does.

Very aware. They are different in character. one is a small minded
insult to all good autistics, the other a complete and utter rotter
and cad and, parden my french, motherfucker (a shit of the first
waters would have been the expression of my dad, doubt he had ever
heard the other rude expression).

> I only make a factual observation which, you must admit, has been borne out
> in this thread in spades, so the acuity of my observation stands the test
> of time.

You are very acute. And cute too (a sort of cute repitious rhythm to
your prose, rather playwright Mamet style - unlike nospam and JR who
are anything but cute!

> Q: Why do Apple posters on the mac and ios newsgroup act like children do?
> A: I don't know why.

See my other post for a possible clue on this counterfactual. By the
way, I know you like facts. I admire that. How about counterfactuals.
I am so fond of these latter. In fact, I rather prefer them. That does
not mean I would ever - unlike the bad JR and nospam - misuse facts!

--
dorayme

joe

Mar 21, 2018, 7:50:02 PM3/21/18
On 3/18/2018 4:47 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
> Without adding any software whatsoever (e.g., no iTunes) on Windows 10, I
> just edited an arbitrary iOS file from Windows, without the file ever being
> on Windows, over my local WiFI LAN.
>
> It was so easy to edit iOS files from Windows, once I realized the syntax,
> that I just wonder if it's also that easy on the Mac to edit an arbitrary
> file on iOS, from the Mac, over the WiFi LAN, without iTunes.
>
> Is it?

The short answer: NO

The reasons:

iTunes is bundled with the Mac OS. Therefore, there may be very few Macs
in the world without iTunes.

One could remove iTunes, but you'd argue some components may still be
installed and in use. Anyway someone using iTunes wouldn't want to
delete it just to prove your silly game.

On the other hand, your question involves accessing files via smb.
iTunes functionality is not needed anyway unless that happens to be the
application associated with the type of file you are trying to access.
In other words, the iTunes part of the question is rather pointless.
iTunes has nothing to do with accessing an smb server.

The question is about editing an arbitrary file. If the smb server
doesn't export the entire file system, the selection of a file to edit
isn't truly arbitrary. All you were able to show was your smb server,
"WiFi HD", only exposed the part of the file system in its sandbox. That
means the choice of file to edit is far from arbitrary. You may call
this a semantic argument, but you asked about arbitrary files, not those
limited to a single application. When asking for clarification, you
responded by showing the server only accessed its own file and then with
usb connection related details, and also included your usual slurry of
insults. All your whining about the responses you get should be directed
at you.

About editing an arbitrary file, if you could access any file there is
no guarantee that a Mac will have an editor that supports any arbitrary
file format. (Unless you want to talk about hex editors.) Basically, it
is unlikely to be able to edit an "arbitrary file" in a general sense.
If you are to choose the file based on the available editors, it is no
longer an arbitrary file.

The interesting point is that this is basically the same as you would
find for a Windows or Linux system. All have the ability to access a
file using smb protocols. You should have been able to learn that detail
on your own.

The smb protocol does not change with the server's underlying OS. Nor
should it matter that the server is a portable device or a PC or a big
box server.

As far as not getting an answer, the first reply in this thread was an
answer in that people have been editing files over an smb connection for
years.

While my answer is 'no', that is mainly due to the way you worded the
question. Yes, Macs can edit files on a smb server. But your "without
iTunes" and "arbitrary iOS file" aspects to the question drive my answer
to "no".

Given that you don't have a Mac, why even bother asking the question?
Either way, the answer has no impact on what you do.

You can cry semantics, but your were the one who posed the question. You
chose the words, not anyone else. You failed to respond to the
clarification about the server exposing all files with a clear answer.
Instead you chose insults. Your lack of respect for the posters here and
Apple users and products in general is blatantly obvious. If you
continually sling insults what do you expect in return?

If you had spent time with web browser, you could have answered this
yourself.

Also, I am not Snit.

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 21, 2018, 7:55:13 PM3/21/18
In article <news:210320181801379544%timst...@greenbee.net>, Tim Streater
wrote:

>>That is a fact.
>
> I doubt it.

It is a fact that the Mac users, overwhelmingly, just like the iOS users,
who post to the related newsgroups, can't answer the /simplest/ of
technical questions.

What such Apple Apologists do is brazenly fabricate imaginary functionality
that they don't have, and yet they say the functionality exists even when
they can't prove a single word of what they say.

That is an easily proven fact - which is proven, in spades, in this thread.

> Have the courtesy to spell my name correctly.

I apologize for misspelling your name, which I publicly admit I typed
wrongly, where the correct spelling is Tim Streater.

>>Q: Can a Mac edit an iOS file over WiFi without iTunes existing on the Mac?
>>A: ? (since mac users lie so often, you'll actually need to supply proof)
>
> 1) What sort of iOS file?

The iOS text file that I created, named "joe_is_foo", for example.
Or any photo file inside the DCIM Camera mount directory.

> 2) I don't edit iOS files on my Mac.

That's not the question.

> 3) I don't use iTunes at all.

Good. That means you're not crippled and stuck inside the walled garden.

What do you use then, to transfer arbitrary files to and from your iOS
device over USB and WiFi on your local LAN?

> 4) I've not seen any of your alleged screenshots as I've not been
> following this thread.

Then, if your eyes are welded shut, you're of no practical use to anyone
here on this newgroup since you just proved with your own words you are
either unable or unwilling to comprehend even the /simplest/ of pertinent
questions posed on this mac-related newsgroup.

More to the point of only children being on the Apple-related newsgroups,
if you're unable or unwilling to even view the simplest of details, you
will be of no use to adults, since adult comprehensive capabilities are
mandatory for adults to converse with other intelligent adults.

Children live in ignorant bliss - but adults are expected to comprehend
details that are unfathomable to adults - even when the adults close their
eyes to the realities of fact.

By way of contrast, notice how *ADULTS* live on the Linux newsgroup:
Have you ever seen "unsupported reparse point" warnings in ls output?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.os.linux/3XyLpV-Za9o

Notice: The mac users who post to these newsgroups, overwhelmingly, act
like children, noncomprehensive as you yourself admit to be, while the
Linux users act like *adults*.

Fancy that.

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 21, 2018, 8:06:49 PM3/21/18
In article <news:p8u4si$1hfe$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Alan Baker wrote:

> I wasn't asked to answer any questions, twit.

The Apple Apologist is /incapable/ of acting like an adult.

That you typical mac users resort to insults the instant that you are faced
with facts seems to be what most of the child-like Apple Apologists do.

Why do you Apple Apologists always instantly resort to child-like insults
when confronted with facts you don't like?

I don't know why.

I just know that, over the decades, the Apple posters overwhelmingly show
that they're immune to facts, most likely because facts threaten your
entire imaginary belief system.

You Apple Apologists are like little children.
You don't act like adults do.

Witness, for example, what will happen to this new thread, opened just now,
on the Linux newsgroup, which confronts the Linux users users with fact:
Have you ever seen "unsupported reparse point" warnings in ls output?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.os.linux/3XyLpV-Za9o>

Notice how /different/ Linux users are from typical mac users.
a. Other platform users are able to comprehend detail
b. Other platform users act like adults when confronted with detail
c. Nobody said "too much clutter" or "I didn't read the facts".

Now, on Linux, as on the Mac, users on Usenet often need to have questions
clarified, and that's no different between any adult conversation over the
air, but notice that, in decades of dealing with Mac users and Linux and
Windows and more recently iOS and Android users, one fact remains...

FACT: Apple Apologists abound on these newsgroups who can't handle facts.
FACT: The first response of Apple Apologists is to insult bearers of fact.
FACT: Another common trait of Apple Apologists is to fabricate wholly
imaginary completely fictional functionality when confronted with fact.

It happened, in spades, in this thread, and it almost always happens.

The Apple Apologist is /incapable/ of acting as an adult should.

Uultred ragnusen

Mar 21, 2018, 8:25:24 PM3/21/18
dorayme <do_r...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> A question for me? Not sure anyone here is afraid of facts. Doesn't
> mean, of course, that too many know how to use them.

Hi dorayme,

As you may know, I post to all the major consumer platform newsgroups,
where only on the Apple-related newsgroups are the responses almost always
completely child like in character, content, intend, and demeanor.

Witness, for example, this recent Windows thread, where the respondents can
adequately fathom inconvenient "facts" about their beloved operating
system.
Trying to make the Win10 start menu work - can it do more than 5 groups?
http://www.pcbanter.net/showthread.php?s=2e1236ca62c7095834b0fb5786d475d5&t=1103409

Or, witness, for example, this even more recent Linux thread, where, again,
adults on the platform group have shown that they don't respond to
inconvenient facts with child-like tirades that the mac users here
exemplify.
Have you ever seen "unsupported reparse point" warnings in ls output?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.os.linux/3XyLpV-Za9o>

The fact is that the typical respondent on the Apple-related newsgroups has
proven, time and again, that they embody the mentality of a child.

Why?
I don't know why.

I just know facts.

>> I will never know why the posters to this newsgroup lack both adult mental
>> acuity and why, at the same time, they're deathly afraid of facts.
>
> Well, let's see about this counterfactual. Maybe, in this possible
> world you are imagining, not being intellectually mature makes its
> inhabitants anxious when they cannot fit facts into their childish
> schemes? Does this help your understanding?

My understanding is only from what the respondents wrote on this thread.

Most, if not almost all, responded to facts with childish insults, where
you can't deny that is a proven fact that it's the trait of the Apple user
to respond to inconvenient facts with childish potty mouth retorts.

Some, but not all, completely fabricated entirely fictional non-existent
mac-to-iOS functionality, that they proved they couldn't back up with a
single screenshot, since they brazenly fabricated the fictional
functionality in response to inconvenient facts they didn't like - much
like the iOS users are proven to incessantly do.

One, particularly Joe Snit, much like nospam, latches on to his silly
semantic games whenever confronted with facts he doesn't like, where I know
Joe is not nospam, despite the similarly in traits, since Joe proved that
facts are "clutter" in his mind, while nospam is eminently capable of
handling details.

And some felt the need to childishly respond, even though they admitted
they never once comprehended /any/ of the facts provided, e.g., Tim
Streater, where his own words proved this fact that he acts like a child.

And yet, I post this "cluttered" screenshot on the Windows and Linux
newsgroups, showing similar inconvenient facts about the operating system,
and, those *adults* respond as factually comprehensive adults.
https://i.cubeupload.com/1ji0MX.jpg

As you know, I've posted many times the /same/ related interoperability
questions to Mac, Linux, Windows, iOS, and Android newsgroups, where the
response is almost always the same childish drivel *only* on the
Apple-related newsgroups.

Why?

Specifically:
Q: Why do all other major platforms newsgroup posters, other than Apple
platforms overwhelming act like adults even when confronted with
inconvenient facts (see proven examples above), while the Apple-related
platform newsgroups are filled to the brim with fact-challenged children?

A: ? (you tell me)

There's something very different ... quite unnatural ... and very child
like. ... about the proven actions of the Apple users who post here.

Mostly they act more as "religious" zealots and not "factual" realists.
Facts threaten their entire underlying belief system.

Hence they fabricate functionality that never existed, they respond to
facts with insults, and they latch onto silly semantic games in order to
maintain a semblance of their dignity - when - in reality - they can't
confront fact with fact.

They don't know how to deal with facts as an adult should.
Do you concur?

Alan Baker

Mar 21, 2018, 8:56:20 PM3/21/18
On 2018-03-21 4:55 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
> In article <news:210320181801379544%timst...@greenbee.net>, Tim Streater
> wrote:
>
>>> That is a fact.
>>
>> I doubt it.
>
> It is a fact that the Mac users, overwhelmingly, just like the iOS users,
> who post to the related newsgroups, can't answer the /simplest/ of
> technical questions.

That is an *assertion*, not a fact.

You are a tedious twit, but that's just my opinion.

:-)

Alan Baker

Mar 21, 2018, 8:57:21 PM3/21/18
On 2018-03-21 5:06 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
> In article <news:p8u4si$1hfe$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Alan Baker wrote:
>
>> I wasn't asked to answer any questions, twit.
>
> The Apple Apologist is /incapable/ of acting like an adult.

I'm not apologizing for anyone or anything, twit.

> That you typical mac users resort to insults the instant that you are faced
> with facts seems to be what most of the child-like Apple Apologists do.
>
> Why do you Apple Apologists always instantly resort to child-like insults
> when confronted with facts you don't like?

Assumes facts not in evidence, twit.

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 21, 2018, 9:08:34 PM3/21/18
In article
<news:do_ray_me-57B5C...@46.sub-75-242-165.myvzw.com>, dorayme
wrote:

>> This is an observation of mine which, you must agree, dorayme, is amply
>> exemplified in this very thread, is it not?
>>

> Very amply. I made a visual representation of their posts and the
> figure came out like an even more frightening version of King Kong
> than in the original film.

Hi dorayme,

(See discussion about counterfactuals, where I thank you for edifying me.)

You'll notice that I don't capitalize your moniker, and you'll notice that
you claim to be female, and you'll notice that I'm aware that you aren't
all too happy with how Jolly Roger responds to facts I posed in the iOS
groups (although your desire is for him to just stop responding, which has
nothing to do with the facts I always pose), etc.

My point is that I can comprehend and retain facts.

What I see here is that the posters in this thread overwhelmingly said that
either "facts were clutter" in their minds, or that "they didn't read the
facts", and yet ... and yet ... they responded with evil abandon.

The question is why are such Apple posters so different from normal adults?

You rebel against my calling them children, where I have said many times
(have I not?) that I don't understand why the Apple poster on these
newsgroups is not like the normal adults on all the other major platform
newsgroups (android, linux, and windows, specifically).

Do you concur at least that the Apple respondents /are/ quite different?

If so, what /word/ would you use to characterize their incessant
a. fabrication of fictional functionality
b. childish insults
c. inability to comprehend detail
d.
when confronted with inconvenient facts?

All of this is fact, proven in this very thread.
The question is why are Apple posters not like normal adults?

>> As you're well aware, nospam has a habit of doing that just as much as
>> Jolly Roger does.
>>
> Very aware. They are different in character. one is a small minded
> insult to all good autistics, the other a complete and utter rotter
> and cad and, parden my french, motherfucker (a shit of the first
> waters would have been the expression of my dad, doubt he had ever
> heard the other rude expression).

Actually, while the world has no use for Jolly Roger (he's incapable of
providing an answer to even the /simplest/ of questions), nospam proves
every once in a while that he has adult comprehensive skills.

I don't generally plonk, as Joe Snit is the only person I've ever
killfiled, in decades of posting on Usenet, where I like to learn from
Jolly Roger what lies in the typical iOS user's mind.

I do admit nospam is more like James Comey, never to be trusted,
duplicitous always, but sometimes actually factually correct (which is a
refreshing rarity on any Apple-related newsgroup).

I do agree with you though, that, other than both having similar proven
Apple Apologist traits, they're quite different evils indeed.

Me?
I only speak fact.

Inconvenient fact perhaps.
But always fact.

Proven fact.
Verifiable fact.

Always fact.

>> Q: Why do Apple posters on the mac and ios newsgroup act like children do?
>> A: I don't know why.
>>

> See my other post for a possible clue on this counterfactual. By the
> way, I know you like facts. I admire that. How about counterfactuals.

Counterfactual?

"A counterfactual is defined as a statement that is not true.
In the sentence "If dogs had no ears, they could not hear" the
statement "if dogs had no ears" is an example of a counterfactual
because dogs DO have ears.."

Hmmm.... the Apple Apologists do exhibit this tendency...
"Counterfactual thinking is a concept in psychology that involves the
human tendency to create possible alternatives to life events that
have already occurred; something that is contrary to what actually
happened."

In fact, these Apple Apologists who constantly fabricate fictional wholly
imaginary Apple functionality can possibly be identified as "upward
counterfactuals", where their revisionist imaginary Apple functionality
creates a more positive outcome than is actuality.
Counterfactual thinking
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9000895
"The author reviews research in support of the assertions that
counterfactual thinking is activated automatically in response
to negative affect..."

You have hit upon a good characterization of the mind of the Apple
religious zealot who frequents these Apple-related newsgroups.

Their automatic response to facts they don't like is to fabricate, even in
their own minds, wholly fictional Apple functionality that doesn't exist,
and hence, is their natural positive counterfactual response to facts.

What is wrong with the Apple Apologists that they deny even what Apple admitted?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/ydeKBfyo-O0/0KdR7FZQEAAJ>

> I am so fond of these latter. In fact, I rather prefer them. That does
> not mean I would ever - unlike the bad JR and nospam - misuse facts!

Hi dorayme,

I wouldn't ever say that either Jolly Roger or nospam, or anyone who posted
on this thread, "misused" facts.

Other than nospam, their own words show they don't comprehend facts.

In stark contrast, you can tell that nospam has adult comprehensive
abilities when confronted with facts because he tends to cleverly distort
the facts so as to imply that which is not true, which only the Apple
Gullibles are dumb enough to believe.

It's the same situation with that so-called Apple battery apology, where
the dumb Apple user doesn't comprehend that Apple blamed battery chemistry
for their iPhone design flaws, which completely ignores the facts.

Similarly with those who pretend that the Apple throttling wasn't
permanent, which only a positive counterfactual could possibly come up with
in their alternative thought-process mind.

It's the same with almost all the facts presented to the Apple Apologists,
where I do agree with you that counterfactual, and more to the point,
positive counterfactuals, are a good description of the Apple user mindset.

Why do iOS apologists incessantly fabricate fictional iOS functionality?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/vcq3ESStmlc/bjhf9Z5vBAAJ>

--
Thank you for edifying me about the term "positive counterfactuals"!

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 21, 2018, 9:12:04 PM3/21/18
In article <news:p8uuvf$tj4$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Alan Baker wrote:

> That is an *assertion*, not a fact.
>
> You are a tedious twit, but that's just my opinion.

As I said to dorayme just moments ago...
"I post to all the major consumer platform newsgroups, where only
on the Apple-related newsgroups are the responses almost always
completely child like in character, content, intend, and demeanor."

Unlike the adults on the other platform newsgroups, you Apple Apologists
respond to inconvenient fact with insult, inability to comprehend, silly
semantic games, and outright fabrication of imaginary functionality.

That's a fact you prove time and again.
Do you not?

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 21, 2018, 9:14:42 PM3/21/18
In article <news:p8uv1d$tj4$2...@gioia.aioe.org>, Alan Baker wrote:

>> The Apple Apologist is /incapable/ of acting like an adult.
>
> I'm not apologizing for anyone or anything, twit.

As you may know, I post to all the major consumer platform newsgroups,
where only on the Apple-related newsgroups are the responses almost always
completely child like in character, content, intent, and demeanor.

Just like you do in /every/ post of yours in this thread.
Is that not a fact?

Inconvenient perhaps.
Yet still, a fact.

[...]

Tyrone F. Horneigh

Mar 21, 2018, 11:27:53 PM3/21/18
No, that is a *fact*. :-)

Uultred ragnusen

Mar 21, 2018, 11:29:47 PM3/21/18
joe <no...@domain.invalid> wrote:

>> Is it?
>>

> The short answer: NO

Wow. Just wow.

A poster on this newsgroup who doesn't answer inconvenient facts about
F-U-N-C-T-I-O-N-A-L-I-T-Y with the typical Apple Apologist drivel of:
a. child-like potty-mouthed instant insults (e.g., Tim Streater)
b. incessant fabrication of non-existent imaginary functionality (e.g., JR)
c. silly semantic games (e.g., nospam)
d. child-like inability to comprehend detail (e.g., Lloyd Parsons)
etc.

Of course the correct answer is no.
I sincerely thank you for acting like an adult should on this Mac-related
newsgroup.

> The reasons:
>
> iTunes is bundled with the Mac OS. Therefore, there may be very few Macs
> in the world without iTunes.

Understood. Still, even with the iTunes abomination, the Mac is unable to
do the /simplest/ of things that the other platforms functionally do with
aplomb.

It's all about F-U-N-C-T-I-O-N-A-L-I-T-Y.

That's just an inconvenient fact that the Mac is less functional.

> One could remove iTunes, but you'd argue some components may still be
> installed and in use. Anyway someone using iTunes wouldn't want to
> delete it just to prove your silly game.

My questions are relevant and valid to the newsgroup.

That you consider the question silly is fine, but the
F-U-N-C-T-I-O-N-A-L-I-T-Y of being able to slide desired file back and
forth and to edit desired files from one platform to the other, is still
F-U-N-C-T-I-O-N-A-L-I-T-Y.

That you feel F-U-N-C-T-I-O-N-A-L-I-T-Y is "silly" need not be stated since
you already opined yourself that facts were "clutter" in your brain.

Did you not?

> On the other hand, your question involves accessing files via smb.

I complement you for being able to comprehend factual detail in that
statement.

I do agree with you that smb accords in some ways more functionality, and
in other ways, less functionality than does native USB connections,
particularly with respect to how the other common consumer platforms
natively handle iOS connections sans the iTunes abomination.

> iTunes functionality is not needed anyway unless that happens to be the
> application associated with the type of file you are trying to access.

Since you made that statement in seemingly good faith, I will concur with
you that the iTunes abomination is not normally removed by the Apple Mac
user - where they often reside completely ensconced within the walled
garden.

However, outside the narrow confines of the walled garden, in the real
world, the F-U-N-C-T-I-O-N-A-L-I-T-Y of being able to connect seamlessly to
the iOS file system from a desktop is required, especially as you must be
aware that the iTunes abomination does not actually work in the real world.

> In other words, the iTunes part of the question is rather pointless.
> iTunes has nothing to do with accessing an smb server.

The issue about removing the iTunes abomination is only that it needs to be
removed from the equation since it is proven to be restrictive in
functionality, and it is proven not to work in the real world.

There are other salient facts about the iTunes abomination which are just
as provable (e.g., it's the canonical example of bloatware), but the most
relevant reason for removing the iTunes abomination from the equation is
that it blocks F-U-N-C-T-I-O-N-A-L-I-T-Y.

> The question is about editing an arbitrary file. If the smb server
> doesn't export the entire file system, the selection of a file to edit
> isn't truly arbitrary.

It's not clear yet that there is an "smb server" (or client) for the Mac,
but I'll skip that question for later (see below).

As I stated prior, on Usenet, we don't have editors looking over our
shoulders watching over every single word used so that a kindergarten child
would comprehend.

As I repeatedly explained to you, I can create files of the name
"joe_is_foo" with arbitrary text of "this is joe is foo", in locations that
I don't even know what they do.

In fact, these locations are so arbitrary that, for whatever reason, their
mere existence (and or content) seems to have potentially revealed a
nascent bug in the Apple iOS software such as shown in this screenshot from
earlier today on my iPad: http://i.cubeupload.com/x7WV2L.jpg

Finding platform-to-platform bugs seems to be my gift, since I found an
interesting one between Windows & Linux just this morning also:
Have you ever seen "unsupported reparse point" warnings in ls output?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.os.linux/3XyLpV-Za9o/mHiUyE3EAwAJ>
http://i.cubeupload.com/1ji0MX.jpg

If all the Mac users do is stay completely ensconced inside the walled
garden, and especially if they use the iTunes abomination to do so, they'll
never see what I see in the real world.

> All you were able to show was your smb server,
> "WiFi HD", only exposed the part of the file system in its sandbox.

Wow. Just wow again. Thank you for being an adult in answering a basic
question of what file system was exposed in that smb server output!

I wasn't sure, since I know almost nothing about iOS, whether that exposed
file system was the root level of the iOS device, or just the root level of
the application stored inside the iOS device.

Thank you for being the /first/ person on this thread, after, oh, I don't
know how many, scores of posts, who answered a simple question.

Thank you for acting like an adult on this Mac-related newsgroup.

> That
> means the choice of file to edit is far from arbitrary. You may call
> this a semantic argument, but you asked about arbitrary files, not those
> limited to a single application.

Again, we can quibble about a term that we both have extensively discussed
elsewhere in this thread.

We could have gotten to this point much quicker, just as the adults do on
the Linux, Windows, and Android newsgroups, if we simply clarified the
terms as one adult to another.

I agree with you, sticking only with SMB, that if that exposed file system
is only that which is essentially inside an app, then we don't have "much"
exposure to the root file system.

NOTE: We do have what seems like complete ad-hoc access to the syslog of
the iOS device - but - if we stick to only the more limited SMB access - we
don't have that syslog access, I agree.

> When asking for clarification, you
> responded by showing the server only accessed its own file and then with
> usb connection related details, and also included your usual slurry of
> insults. All your whining about the responses you get should be directed
> at you.

Here's where you are wrong.

In tens of thousands of posts over the years, I respond to what the posters
write, in terms of facts stated.

Do you think, for example, anyone but you (in this post I'm responding to)
has presented a /single/ fact?

The /only/ facts that were presented were by me.

Bear in mind that I have an extensive record on all the platform-related
newsgroup of only speaking facts. It's only on these Apple-related
newsgroups that facts are treated as threats to the posters' belief system.

For example, I posted an inconvenient fact this week to the Windows
newsgroup:
Trying to make the Win10 start menu work - can it do more than 5 groups?
http://www.pcbanter.net/showthread.php?s=2e1236ca62c7095834b0fb5786d475d5&t=1103409

And, just today, I posted an inconvenient fact to the Linux newsgroup:
Have you ever seen "unsupported reparse point" warnings in ls output?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.os.linux/3XyLpV-Za9o>

Do you instantly see how adults act on those newsgroups when confronted
with the reality of an inconvenient fact?

Can you instantly see the stark contrast with how Apple posters act when
confronted with inconvenient fact?

Elsewhere in this thread, dorayme posits that some of the more child-like
posters to this thread act as if they were "counterfactuals", which is a
tendency to manufacture their own internal belief systems, of sorts.

In concurrence, I clarified that assertion by stating that they're
overwhelmingly "positive counterfactuals", which, as I understand it, is
the tendency for them to manufacture completely illusory belief systems
where the facts come out differently and in a positive direction in terms
of actual Mac-to-iOS F-U-N-C-T-I-O-N-A-L-I-T-Y.

> About editing an arbitrary file, if you could access any file there is
> no guarantee that a Mac will have an editor that supports any arbitrary
> file format. (Unless you want to talk about hex editors.)

Hex editors are fine, by the way, but the point is more that the goal is to
be able to copy any desired file back and forth between the iOS and desktop
system, without restriction, to locations that matter to the user.

For example, I have perhaps 100GB of videos that I wish to transfer from
the Windows/Linux desktop (it's the same desktop in dual-boot
configuration), to the new iOS device, and I have plenty of screenshots and
video on the iOS device that I wish to edit, directly on the iOS device,
using powerful desktop editors.

With the help of the adults on both the Windows and Linux newsgroup, I have
been able to obtain that simple powerful F-U-N-C-T-I-O-N-A-L-I-T-Y.

I was just asking here if the Mac users had that same simple powerful
F-U-N-C-T-I-O-N-A-L-I-T-Y of editing files that reside on the iOS device
from the Mac, and of wholly unrestricted copying hundreds upon hundreds of
megabytes of video and audio between the iOS device and the desktop, at
about the rate of a GB per minute (roughly).

I have that functionality.
That's a fact.

I only ask if the Mac users have the same functionality.
It's a relevant question that simply deserves a factual answer.

> Basically, it
> is unlikely to be able to edit an "arbitrary file" in a general sense.
> If you are to choose the file based on the available editors, it is no
> longer an arbitrary file.

To expound upon what I already explained, mostly I want to edit any file on
the iOS device that I care to use a more powerful editor to edit it with.

For example, on iOS I might snap a movie using the default iOS app which st
stores the movie in a certain location. On Windows, I might wish to edit
that movie using, say, Shotcut freeware, which is easily enough done, all
the while the file resides only in the iOS device (and presumably in
Windows' RAM while it's being loaded and edited).

Notice that the file does not have to be /copied/ from the iOS device to
the desktop file system in order to edit that file /directly/ on the iOS
device.

That's F-U-N-C-T-I-O-N-A-L-I-T-Y.

I was asking if you Mac users have the same F-U-N-C-T-I-O-N-A-L-I-T-Y.

The answers to a simple functionality question shouldn't be to call the
person who asks, a "twit" as is the habit of some of the child-like Apple
posters here.

Nor should the response be to fabricate completely fictional functionality,
as is the incessant tendency of most of the Apple Apologists whom, with
dorayme's suggestion in mind, might better be described as "positive
counterfactuals".

The response in the Apple newsgroups should be similar to that of an adult,
just as it is in the Windows newsagroup when confronted with perhaps
inconvenient facts such as this screenshot today exemplifies:
https://u.cubeupload.com/3xLbd5.jpg

Notice a crucial difference between the adult discussion on the other
platform newsgroups, and the child-like responses in the Apple-related
newsgroups, even though, in both cases, inconvenient facts are presented
such as these:
https://u.cubeupload.com/CR5puo.jpg

Likewise, the posters on the Apple-related newsgroups should be adult
enough to comprehend the details of the facts, such as these which were
posted today in this screenshot to the Linux newsgroup.
https://u.cubeupload.com/1ji0MX.jpg

It's always a source of wonderment that I can reliably prove that, only on
the Apple-related newsgroups, is the fact-to-drivel level about 1 to 100,
whereas on the adult platform-related newsgroups, it's far more a ratio of
100 to 1.

Why?
I don't know why.

The Apple poster is not a normal adult is the /simplest/ way to describe
that obvious and well-proven fact.

This is an example of what an adult Windows poster posted, to respond to
inconvenient fact:
https://micklord.com/testpage/

Notice how different that is to the typical response of the Apple poster,
who simply says facts clutter their minds.

> The interesting point is that this is basically the same as you would
> find for a Windows or Linux system. All have the ability to access a
> file using smb protocols. You should have been able to learn that detail
> on your own.

Being an adult with adult comprehensive skills, I agree with you that smb
is quite limited in what it can do, so that's why you concentrate on the
SMB aspect of the question, which is fair enough since I learned that smb
was extremely limited during the process of evaluating SMB versus USB.

In short, as I already summarized on the adult platform newsgroups, smb is
less powerful (by far) than is USB, where USB gives almost perfect fast
access to portions of the iOS file system that I care about.

Even so, there are always inconvenient facts, which the adults on the other
platform newsgroups always seem to handle better than do the child-like
respondents on the mac related newsgroups.

For example, it's clear that SMB works far better by default on Windows
than it does on Linux, even with Samba and smbclient installed.

Similarly, USB works far better, by default, on Linux, once I updated the
drivers since Apple iOS changes keep breaking them in the real world, than
USB does, by default, on Windows.

Those are inconvenient facts to be sure; but what's starkly different is
that the adults on the other platform groups handle those inconvenient
facts as adults should - while the child-like posters on the Mac newsgroup
handles those facts like children would.

One question for you, by the way, Joe, is whether you also need to add a
Samba server and smbclient on the Mac in order to perform such smb
connections?

Q: Does the Mac need to add Samba/smbclient to add SMB server/client
functionality?

If so,
Q: Which smb client/server is the canonical smb client/server for the mac?

> The smb protocol does not change with the server's underlying OS. Nor
> should it matter that the server is a portable device or a PC or a big
> box server.

Actually, in my humble experience, SMB works quite differently on Windows
versus Linux with respect to connections with the WiFi HD app's smb server
and smbclients on iOS.

Likewise, you wouldn't think USB would work quite differently, but it does,
where on Linux, USB connections to iOS (once the iOS mobile device drivers
are updated to fix what Apple breaks in various iOS releases) work superbly
well, compared to the lackluster performance of USB connection between
Windows and iOS by default.

Notice that these inconvenient facts were handled with aplomb on the adult
platform newsgroups, but when I bring up similar inconvenient facts on the
Apple-related newsgroups, all but this one post of yours, Joe, is filled to
the brim with Apple Apologist (counterfactual) drivel.

Given those facts above, I respectfully disagree with you that, at least by
default, SMB works similarly on the various platforms.

My well-proven experience is that it does not, but I do at the same time
agree that I know next to nothing about SMB syntax, having learned what
little I do know during the time period of this thread.

> As far as not getting an answer, the first reply in this thread was an
> answer in that people have been editing files over an smb connection for
> years.

Except that it was a lie, which, by the way, is expected of the Apple
posters, since I've been on Usenet for decades, so, while I'll never
understand why Apple Apologists incessantly fabricate fictional
functionality, I certainly have proven time and again that they do.

Fact is, Apple posters can almost never prove their own statements, which
you have to admit, happened time and again in this very thread.

Meanwhile, the adults on the other platform newsgroups not only prove their
statements, but they supply videos such as this one, to be purposefully
helpful, even when confronted with inconvenient fact.
https://micklord.com/testpage/

> While my answer is 'no', that is mainly due to the way you worded the
> question. Yes, Macs can edit files on a smb server. But your "without
> iTunes" and "arbitrary iOS file" aspects to the question drive my answer
> to "no".

Let's just move forward, Joe.

You're the only person here yet, who owns a Mac, who has acted like an
adult would.

My main question for smb, at the moment, is simply whether you too have to
add a third-party SMB server & client, like I had to do on Linux (but not
on Windows).

Q: Does the Mac require installation of an smbclient/server for smb?
Q: If so, do you know which one is canonical smbclient/server for the mac?

As for SMB, given that the USB connectivity seems far more powerful,
another relevant previously asked question is whether you have the same,
more, or less read/write access to the iOS device as we do on Linux?

I won't repost the screenshot because I already proved that we easily get
three iOS file systems mounted on Linux, so I'm just curious if you get the
same three iOS file systems mounted when you connect an iOS device by USB
to your Macs.

Q: What read/write mount points occur when connecting iOS to a Mac?

> Given that you don't have a Mac, why even bother asking the question?
> Either way, the answer has no impact on what you do.

While I understand your point of view that it is bliss to remain ignorant,
I don't have the same conception that ignorance is bliss that you seem to
espouse.

I don't have an iPhone, and yet I work with iPhones all the time, and I've
jailbroken them, and I've bought a handful, just as I've bought a handful
of iPads but I don't happen to own every one, and just as I've bought a
handful of iPods but I don't happen to own every model.

Being ignorant is not bliss.
Hence, following your suggestion of being ignorant of the iPhone, simply
because I don't use an iPhone as my phone, wouldn't be blissful for me.

In fact, I just asked an iPhone-related question of the iOS newsgroup,
where the question is so simple that I won't be shocked to find out that
only child-like responses result.
Does Apple reset the iPhone to factory defaults when they replace the battery?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/n2vBUQgo_LU>

With respect to the Mac, I often work in the local school dictrict as a
volunteer, and I run into the Mac constantly. What never ceases to amaze
me, in fact, in the school system, is that supposedly intelligent adults
are so clueless aboutg what a Linux-based desktop can accomplish with
respect to connectivity outside the crippling effect of the iTunes
abomination.

In fact, I'm so often frustrated by the sheer fact that Macs never seem to
have the functionality that I just expect out of a linux-based desktop,
that it behooves me to ask questions about the Mac with respect to
connectivity.

In short, I disagree with your suggestion, but I understand it, that being
ignorant of Mac functionality with respect to interoperabily in the real
world is a desireable thing.

> You can cry semantics, but your were the one who posed the question. You
> chose the words, not anyone else. You failed to respond to the
> clarification about the server exposing all files with a clear answer.

C'mon Joe, Now you're acting very Snit like. Up until you said I failed to
respond to all accusations, you were doing well with respect to being an
adult with facts.

I responded to /every/ request for clarification.
You were the one, in fact, who refused to prove your statements.
Many of the others also refused to prove their statements.

It's actually so common on the Apple-related newsgroups for people to never
be able to prove their statements that it's sort of expected that the Mac
and iOS users simply lie.

Why do the Apple users incessantly lie?
I don't know why.

But the fact is that they do. Constantly.
So I expect 9 out of 10 responses on this newsgroup to be lies or silly
semantic games, or just useless drivel.

And yet, I prove /all/ my assertions.
Every single one.

I only speak fact.
You Apple users aren't used to facts.

But the adult platform newsgroups handle facts quite well.
I've provided many examples, where I've asked the /same/ question of the
relevant newsgroups, and almost every time, only on the Apple-related
newsgroups the posters are invariably child like.

Why are Apple posters almost, to a person, acting like children?
I don't know why.

I suspect they can't handle inconvenient facts, and they can't do anything
outside the neat little false world that Apple provides them for safety and
functionality that only works inside the walled garden.

But I don't ever claim to understand why Apple posters are different from
normal adults.

All I can reliably prove is that they are.

> Instead you chose insults.

You're wrong here, Joe.
Look at your own responses to mine.

I resort to telling you the truth.
When you act like a child - I tell you you're acting like a child.
When you act like an adult - I tell you you're acting like an adult.

Don't be like that Lloyd Parson's guy, who thinks that if he acts like an
adult once out of ten posts, that I should consider him an adult for all
ten posts.

If you act like an adult, I'll commend you for acting like an adult.
If you act like a child, I'll point out that you're acting like a child.

I only speak fact.

> Your lack of respect for the posters here and
> Apple users and products in general is blatantly obvious. If you
> continually sling insults what do you expect in return?

Do you realize what you just said?
Do you?

I can't imagine that you do, but, you must understand, that the way you
Apple Apologists handle inconvenient fact is what sets you off as
completely different than normal adults.

You don't see this, I'm sure, but I'm trying to tell you something which
I've proven more than a few times in this thread alone, which is that in
the adult platform newsgroups, people handle inconvenient facts with
aplomb.

On the adult platform newsgroups, when I bring up, say, a dislike of the
way Windows handles updates, they agree, or they disagree, but they don't
consider the inconvenient fact of how Windows handles updates to be an
attack on them personally.

Only in the Apple-related newsgroups do the posters incessantly handle
inconvenient facts as an attack upon the very foundation of their core
belief system.

Fact it.
An inconvenient fact is merely a fact.

That you may consider an inconvenient fact as an attack on the core of your
entire belief system, only makes it so in your child-like mind.

In an adult mind, such as that which you see in spades on the Linux and
Windows and Android newsgroups, an inconvenient fact is merely that.

> If you had spent time with web browser, you could have answered this
> yourself.

I don't think you realize at all that this question has /never/ been asked
before.

Show me proof, for example, that a browser search will show me the mount
points that will show up when I attach an iOS device to a Mac.

Can you prove a single one of your statements Joe?
Can you?

I prove all of mine.

> Also, I am not Snit.

That's good because, in decades of being on Usenet, Snit is the only person
I have ever had to killfile, not because Snit is, much like Jolly Roger,
completely immune to adult reason, but because Snit never gives up (he
posted an Android fallacy 400 times also that Android can't record the
screen and audio when it went native /years/ ago and only showed up in iOS
last September).

For example, you should see this hilarious thread where Snit composed a
video directly attacking me, which he posted over 400 times alone, over the
period of three months, where not a single statement he makes is actual
fact.
It's a fact iOS devices can't even graph Wi-Fi signal strength over time
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.ipad/-T7FEXIdU9Q[1-25]

What's funnier, is that both nospam and Jolly Roger high-fived him for
supposedly proving my facts wrong (which would have been a notable
accomplishment indeed)... which you have to admit is hilarious because my
facts are almost never wrong ... simply because I don't make things up.

Making things up comes so natually to the Apple posters on the associated
platform newgroups that one has to wonder about why the Apple poster feels
the /need/ to make things up when confronted with inconvenient facts.

Certainly they did so, in spades, in this thread.

Why do Apple users feel the incessant need to claim functionality which
simply does not exist?

dorayme

Mar 21, 2018, 11:45:48 PM3/21/18
In article <p8ut5d$rgp$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
Uultred ragnusen <ult...@ragnusen.com> wrote:

> >> I will never know why the posters to this newsgroup lack both adult mental
> >> acuity and why, at the same time, they're deathly afraid of facts.
> >
> > Well, let's see about this counterfactual. Maybe, in this possible
> > world you are imagining, not being intellectually mature makes its
> > inhabitants anxious when they cannot fit facts into their childish
> > schemes? Does this help your understanding?
>
> My understanding is only from what the respondents wrote on this thread.

And the above suggestion does not register on your radar? Perhaps
because it is not a fact and you deal only in facts.

Talking about facts, some people think there are no such things. Some
of these same people think that while many things are true, there are
no facts as such to correspond. For example, it is true that I sit
here typing now but there is no fact beyond me sitting here typing.

--
dorayme

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 22, 2018, 12:03:35 AM3/22/18
On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 23:27:45 -0400, in
comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps you wrote:

> No, that is a *fact*. :-)

Thank you, Tyrone F. Horneigh, for consistently proving that on these
Mac-related platform newsgroups, the vast majority of what is posted is
child-like drivel.

Compare your childish drivel, for example, to what Adults post on the
linux-related newsgroup today, when facts such as these were presented to
them: https://u.cubeupload.com/1ji0MX.jpg

Is it just me, or do other mac users notice that only on the Apple-related
newsgroups are inconvenient facts incessantly greeted with child like
drivel such as that which Tyrone F. Horneigh exemplifies?

For example, look at what Adults write, on the Linux newsgroup:
Have you ever seen "unsupported reparse point" warnings in ls output?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.os.linux/3XyLpV-Za9o>

Since I prove my points, look at what Adults wrote on the Linux and Windows
newsgroups when I asked a question about backing up Gmail:
What's a good way to back up Gmail when you've reached the size limit?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.os.linux/6YHdHFcpGxs

I suspect, had I asked the /same/ question on the Apple-related newsgroups,
only child-like drivel would have resulted (since I've run that experiment
many times in the past).

The question is what is so very wrong with the Apple Apologists such that
they're quite starkly unlike normal adults when confronted with simple
basic facts that they just don't like.

joe

Mar 22, 2018, 12:12:02 AM3/22/18
I could answer more of your question, but until you stop insulting
others you aren't worth the bother.

Grow up.

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 22, 2018, 12:17:07 AM3/22/18
In article
<news:do_ray_me-39750...@46.sub-75-242-165.myvzw.com>, dorayme
wrote:

>> My understanding is only from what the respondents wrote on this thread.
>
> And the above suggestion does not register on your radar? Perhaps
> because it is not a fact and you deal only in facts.

Hi dorayme,

The connection to understanding the facts and presenting the facts, does
not, in and of itself, imply that the facts are not facts.

That the vast majority of posters in this thread only posted meaningless
drivel is a fact, and, the fact that they blatantly lied about
functionality that turns out to be imaginary, is a fact.

That they refused to prove their statements is a fact.

Why these typical Apple posters act this way ... well ... that's the
mystery.

The mystery isn't the fact that they're not normal adults on this ng.
They mystery is why they're not normal adults.

Why, for example, are they completely unable to prove a single one of their
assertions while I prove almost all of mine?

Remember, I'm on /plenty/ of Adult platform newsgroups, so I know how the
adults act on the Linux newsgroup, for example, when presented with
inconvenient facts such as this one today:
https://u.cubeupload.com/1ji0MX.jpg

The adults on the Linux newsgroup handle inconvenient facts, like adults.
Have you ever seen "unsupported reparse point" warnings in ls output?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.os.linux/3XyLpV-Za9o>

Fancy that.

> Talking about facts, some people think there are no such things.

When it comes to statements of fact, reasonable adults may disagree
reasonably, such as what just happened on the Windows newsgroup moments ago
when I asked the inconvenient fact of what was going on in the Windows file
system when I permanently disabled Windows updates forever.
http://tinyurl.com/alt-comp-os-windows-10

The initial response to that nascent question was bewilderment as to why
one would want to disable Windows updates, which is a fair confusion for an
adult to have initially.
What is this strange new Windows file-system beast (C:\Windows\System32\wuaueng.dll)?
<http://www.pcbanter.net/showthread.php?t=1103450>

Let's see, by way of stark contrast, how that nascent thread proceeds, with
the adults on the Windows newsgroup, as compared to how this thread
proceeded with the child-like respondents on the Mac newsgroups.

> Some
> of these same people think that while many things are true, there are
> no facts as such to correspond. For example, it is true that I sit
> here typing now but there is no fact beyond me sitting here typing.

If you were to blatantly state that the Mac could connect to USB and view
the syslog in real time as I clearly proved Linux does, then I would simply
ask you to prove your statements.

That the Mac user, in general, and specifically in this thread, is
completley unable to prove any of their assertions, simply is another
indication that they just blatantly fabricate fictional functionality.

In fact, they're so used to fabricating fictional functionality, that it
never occurs to them that someone would ask for something as simple as a
screenshot to back up their absurd claims of fictional functionality.

That's why it was so hilarious, for example, when Snit, for months, claimed
the wholly fictional functionality that iOS had the simplest of
capabilities, which he spouted for over 400 posts, in addition to his
claims that Android didn't (which he spouted for another 400 posts).

You know all these statements to be fact as I have amply proven them all.

That's what I have found out is a stark difference between adults and Apple
users who post to these newsgroups.

The Apple users, overall, act like children act.
They don't act like adults.

Why?
You tell me why.

I only tell you the facts which I've amply proven and which this thread,
and the references I've provided, back up my every assertion.

dorayme

Mar 22, 2018, 12:17:27 AM3/22/18
In article <p8uvmb$uec$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
Ragnusen Ultred <ragn...@ultred.com> wrote:

> In article
> <news:do_ray_me-57B5C...@46.sub-75-242-165.myvzw.com>, dorayme
> wrote:
>
> >> This is an observation of mine which, you must agree, dorayme, is amply
> >> exemplified in this very thread, is it not?
> >>

> > Very amply. I made a visual representation of their posts and the
> > figure came out like an even more frightening version of King Kong
> > than in the original film.
>
> Hi dorayme,
>
> (See discussion about counterfactuals, where I thank you for edifying me.)
>
> You'll notice that I don't capitalize your moniker,

I can't tell you how grateful I am of this. Thank you.

> and you'll notice that
> you claim to be female,

I claimed this? News to me.

> and you'll notice that I'm aware that you aren't
> all too happy with how Jolly Roger responds to facts I posed in the iOS
> groups (although your desire is for him to just stop responding, which has
> nothing to do with the facts I always pose), etc.
>
> My point is that I can comprehend and retain facts.
>
> What I see here is that the posters in this thread overwhelmingly said that
> either "facts were clutter" in their minds, or that "they didn't read the
> facts", and yet ... and yet ... they responded with evil abandon.
>
> The question is why are such Apple posters so different from normal adults?
>
> You rebel against my calling them children, where I have said many times
> (have I not?) that I don't understand why the Apple poster on these
> newsgroups is not like the normal adults on all the other major platform
> newsgroups (android, linux, and windows, specifically).
>
> Do you concur at least that the Apple respondents /are/ quite different?

Not really sure. There are some regulars here who have nothing better
to do than be as unhelpful and smart arse as they can be. They seem to
think that their news group is a help desk and they are manning it on
their shifts. It never seems to occur to them that usenet is at its
best when people of good will *discuss* issues.

They suppose that everyone who start posts is desperate for their
*advice*. That gives them a feeling of power. In fact, of course,
people often post to see how others feel about some issue, what they
do, what they would do, to find out if anyone else has has any similar
issues. Instead, these larrikins think they will issue some useless
and mostly irrelevant opinion whether they have any real knowledge of
the particular issue or not.

> If so, what /word/ would you use to characterize their incessant
> a. fabrication of fictional functionality
> b. childish insults
> c. inability to comprehend detail
> d.
> when confronted with inconvenient facts?

Motherfuckers sums it up for me.

> >> Q: Why do Apple posters on the mac and ios newsgroup act like children do?
> >> A: I don't know why.
> >>

> > See my other post for a possible clue on this counterfactual. By the
> > way, I know you like facts. I admire that. How about counterfactuals.
>
> Counterfactual?
>
> "A counterfactual is defined as a statement that is not true.
> In the sentence "If dogs had no ears, they could not hear" the
> statement "if dogs had no ears" is an example of a counterfactual
> because dogs DO have ears.."

Counterfactuals can be true or false. An example of a true one would
be "If the timing belt on my particular car had snapped when I was
doing 80mph the other day, it would have stuffed up my engine good and
proper". This is in spite of the timing belt not breaking in fact.

An example of a false one would be "If I put the kettle on for a cup
of tea in my house, the house down the road would blow in in three
minutes".

We use counterfactuals all the time, very hard not to use them in
daily life. We are careful with boiling water because we know what
would happen if we were not.

--
dorayme

dorayme

Mar 22, 2018, 12:19:44 AM3/22/18
In article <p8v7v4$18v1$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
Uultred ragnusen <ult...@ragnusen.com> wrote:

> Elsewhere in this thread, dorayme posits that some of the more child-like
> posters to this thread act as if they were "counterfactuals", which is a
> tendency to manufacture their own internal belief systems, of sorts.

I don't think, with respect, dorayme posited this.

--
dorayme

dorayme

Mar 22, 2018, 12:21:58 AM3/22/18
In article <p8vaef$1bo4$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, joe <no...@domain.invalid>
wrote:

[Quoting huge tract snipped]
> I could answer more of your question, but until you stop insulting
> others you aren't worth the bother.
>
> Grow up.

Try growing down what you quote.

--
dorayme

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 22, 2018, 12:22:22 AM3/22/18
In article <news:p8vaef$1bo4$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, joe wrote:

> I could answer more of your question, but until you stop insulting
> others you aren't worth the bother.

Hi Joe,

The most important SMB-related technical question is simply this:

Q: What application does the Mac use to communicate over WiFi with a SMB
server and SMB client on a mobile device on the same LAN?

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 22, 2018, 12:24:56 AM3/22/18
In article
<news:do_ray_me-B370A...@46.sub-75-242-165.myvzw.com>, dorayme
wrote:

> I don't think, with respect, dorayme posited this.

Fair enough.

I'll drop the counterfactual issue anyway, because it's a discussion which
is tangential to the technical questions.

The most important USB-related technical question is what read/write mount
points instantly show up on the Mac when someone connects an iOS device via
USB cable?

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 22, 2018, 12:27:07 AM3/22/18
In article
<news:do_ray_me-BAB44...@46.sub-75-242-165.myvzw.com>, dorayme
wrote:

> Try growing down what you quote.

I agree with the adult sensibilities of dorayme, where I keep this URL in
my Apple-response log, since this tendency to abuse quotes is prevalent
enough on the Apple-related newsgroups that I had to put it in my Apple log
(where it's not in my Windows, Android, nor Linux log because it's not
needed).

http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?quoting

Uultred ragnusen

Mar 22, 2018, 12:51:01 AM3/22/18
dorayme <do_r...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Not really sure. There are some regulars here who have nothing better
> to do than be as unhelpful and smart arse as they can be.

That would be someone like Jolly Roger, but I find that he's actually very
useful, because, as I've said many times, he gives me an insight into the
mind of the average iOS user.

> They seem to
> think that their news group is a help desk and they are manning it on
> their shifts. It never seems to occur to them that usenet is at its
> best when people of good will *discuss* issues.

I've been on Usenet for decades, as you know I'm fond of saying, which is
merely to point out that I'm too experienced to believe that posters such
as Lloyd Parsons, Alan Baker, Tim Streater, Tyrone F. Horneigh, etc.,
/intend/ to be helpful when asked simple technical questions such as those
asked here.

What's more useful is the realization that they incessantly lie about
fabricated non-existing Apple functionality, or that they can never back up
a single assertion they make, or that they refuse to act like adults act,
which, as you know, is what makes them different from normal adults.

While I realize that these Apple respondents are not like normal adults, I
can only glean a clue as to why they're so child like in their responses,
from what they post.

Since I can ask the same question of multiple platform newsgroups, and get
the same child-like attitude from these Apple respondents, the fact that
the posters in the Apple-related newsgroups are starkly different from
adults is a clear fact that has been proven time and again.

What I don't know the definitive answer to, is why.

My hypothesis is that the Apple buyer, in general, is not technically
astute, where they seem to eat up, in general, every that Apple Marketing
feeds them, much of which is an untruth once exposed to facts in the real
world.

The ramifications of this imaginary belief system is similar to those which
would befoul anyone who uses facts against what amounts to a religious
foundation.

It stands on its own merits that the entire belief system of these Apple
respondents is, apparently, /threatened/ by mere facts.

Fancy that.
If you accept that hypothesis, then the "why" is explained.

Q: Why do the mac users noted in this thread act like children when
confronted with mere facts?
A: Facts threaten the entire foundation of the underpinnings of their
belief system.

Is that Q&A a fact?
Nope. It's an hypothesis.

So, yes, I don't /always/ speak fact.

The fact is that the Apple respondents act like children do.
It's left to me to guess as to why the Apple respondents act like children.

> They suppose that everyone who start posts is desperate for their
> *advice*. That gives them a feeling of power.

I'm not so sure of what you state, but I do agree that Jolly Roger, for
example, is in it for the power it makes him feel. For example, he stated
that he could do what others could do, but it's well known that he can't,
so, his power is imaginary. It exists only in his brain.

He actually, as you know, is very low on the Dunning-Kruger scale, where, I
might remind everyone, we're all on it - in that it's not about stupidity,
but about self-assessment of skills.

The lower you are on the DK scale, in general, the higher you self assess
your skill set - which is exactly why I love when Jolly Roger posts,
because he gives me such a great insight into his typical Apple-user
mindset.

Basically, since he can punch buttons inside the walled garden, he
self-assesses that he could also connect in the real world.

That he can't, is completely lost on him.
That's why, when he posts, I enjoy the humor.

By way of contrast, when nospam makes an assertion of skills, nospam
/knows/ he's simply making it up.

Do you see the quite stark difference between the two?
A. Jolly Roger actually believes he has skills that he doesn't have.
B. nospam knows he can't do one tenth of what he says he can.

They're quite different, but in the end, they're the same in that they
incessantly fabricate fictional imaginary Apple functionality that doesn't
exist, and likely never will exist.

Just like Tyrone F. Horneigh did in this thread.
They're so used to nobody asking them to back up facts, that they just lie.

> In fact, of course,
> people often post to see how others feel about some issue, what they
> do, what they would do, to find out if anyone else has has any similar
> issues. Instead, these larrikins think they will issue some useless
> and mostly irrelevant opinion whether they have any real knowledge of
> the particular issue or not.

The two most important questions here, are:
Q: What app provides Macs with SMB client and server functionality?
Q: What read/write mount points show up when connecting iOS to Mac by USB?

> Motherfuckers sums it up for me.

I don't care if they're motherfuckers. I really don't.
That's why it's hilarious, in fact, when Jolly Roger tries to insult my
intelligence, when he can't even do so with a grammatically correct
sentence.

You must also see the innate humor in that fact, don't you?

Anyway, it's impossible for anyone to insult me, simply because I care
about facts, not emotion.

The two most important facts I'm trying to nail down are:

Q: What app provides Macs with SMB client and server functionality?
Q: What read/write mount points show up when connecting iOS to Mac by USB?

> Counterfactuals can be true or false. An example of a true one would
> be "If the timing belt on my particular car had snapped when I was
> doing 80mph the other day, it would have stuffed up my engine good and
> proper". This is in spite of the timing belt not breaking in fact.

Well, my first take on counterfactuals was that the hypothetical situation
never occurred, where you're almost certainly correct that the hypothetical
situation 'can' occur.

> An example of a false one would be "If I put the kettle on for a cup
> of tea in my house, the house down the road would blow in in three
> minutes".

Agreed. You make a reasonable point that counterfactuals can, in truth, be
true or false were the situation to play itself out in reality.

> We use counterfactuals all the time, very hard not to use them in
> daily life. We are careful with boiling water because we know what
> would happen if we were not.

I just ran an experiment, believe it or not, on boiling water, where I
can't get it to 100 degrees C since I'm too high up on the mountain.

Somewhere there is a calculation that tells me my altitude from the
temperature that the water boils at, which I wondered at while measuring it
just an hour ago while making tea.

But that's an aside ... thank you for bringing in the term counterfactuals,
where I think I might stick to the larger encompassing Apple Apologist,
since it really doesn't matter what fact is brought up, if it's
inconvenient, the Apple Apologists will loudly deny it all the while
claiming imaginary functionality that they can never prove because it
doesn't exist.

Witness that hilarious Snit video, for example...where he claimed for
hundreds of posts that he "had me in a corner" because he "proved" that iOS
could do something as simple as graph available AP wifi signal strength
over time (to which Jolly Roger and nospam applauded).

The fact was they all just made it up.
As they are wont to do.

Why?
You tell me why.

I just know what is.

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 22, 2018, 1:24:04 AM3/22/18
By way of stark contrast, notice how /adults/ handle inconvenient facts on
the Linux and Windows platform newsgroups.

This is posted, simply to provide proof that the Apple posters are not like
normal adults. Apple posters are more like children.

This (below) is how adults act on the non-Apple newsgroups.
> Can someone explain what went on in Linux when I followed Paul's advice?
> http://i.cubeupload.com/1ji0MX.jpg

Here's a post from Paul in the Windows thread, so that Paul doesn't have to
reproduce his information here...

https://postimg.org/image/9hhiawabh/
https://postimg.org/image/71fowjkdp/
https://postimg.org/image/u2wa2cwwt/

From Paul...

A reparse point, is a file system customization point.

It would be pretty hard for any Linux developer to "keep up" with that.
While one flavor of reparse point, a "Junction point", is a standard
construct (enough for Sysinternals.com to write a program for it), others
can be created at the drop of a hat.

For example, one flavor seemed to be created as part of a virtual file
system. Someone on the Linux side, would need to make a full time job of
this. (I did observe a thread in Fedora, where someone created a patch for
an issue like this, without so much as a wince or flinching. It doesn't
even look like they consulted a Linux environment NTFS wizard to make the
fix either. Which is fun. They actually fixed the $MFTMIRR error coming
from Win10-created NTFS partitions, by effectively just commenting out the
check. Just... like... that. They cannot do this for reparse points, no
matter how tempting.)

A Junction Point is just a link, a link that "allows moving
your home directory to D: ".

But other reparse points, really are quite custom, and that means we can't
use Linux to take care of them. Slapping a reparse point on a file, rather
than a directory, seems like a purposeful trick to keep Linux out.

I'm almost afraid to open my mouth, make a suggestion to defeat it, and
have them cut off another favorite way of doing things.

*******

Here are my test results.

https://s14.postimg.org/462lq6o8x/Kubuntu_14_04_1.gif

https://s14.postimg.org/wk819k3xt/Ubuntu_16_04_3.gif

https://s14.postimg.org/83pvf5g2p/Ubuntu_17_10.gif

The results are consistent. All three Linux distros think

16299.15 OK
16299.125 OK
16299.309 wuaueng.dll is using a "reparse point"
which is alternately shown as an "I/O error" when it
cannot be stat()ed. It looks to me like "system files"
received this protection. Some files aren't
using it in the System32 directory.

Some change after .125 did this.

My suspicion is, the reparse point in this case, is a "null" one, with no
actual structure. I'll need to consult (some tool) to figure out if this is
the case.

So congrats to Microsoft, on another successful mission.
It's pretty obvious why this change was made.

This isn't an accident. Or a "rogue software designer".

You can check this out, to some extent, by using

dir /a

And a good place to test, is C:\users , as you'll get to see a couple of
the more benign examples. That will demonstrate what some of the attributes
look like.

But if you use Windows to check wuau* files

dir /a C:\Windows\System32\wuau*

then it doesn't show any attribute assigned to it.
Even though Linux has been convinced it's a reparse point.

Either they're using a trick which convinces Linux it's a reparse point, or
the reparse point has zero size (stored in the $REPARSE metadata or the
like).

Bastards (for wasting my time).

dorayme

Mar 22, 2018, 5:51:43 AM3/22/18
In article <p8vcnh$1efe$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
Uultred ragnusen <ult...@ragnusen.com> wrote:

> dorayme <do_r...@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> > Not really sure. There are some regulars here who have nothing better
> > to do than be as unhelpful and smart arse as they can be.
>
> That would be someone like Jolly Roger, but I find that he's actually very
> useful, because, as I've said many times, he gives me an insight into the
> mind of the average iOS user.

I can't see how it gives any insight into average IOS users. A few
asholes that have made this their preferred home to exercise their
prickery is hardly a guide to the millions of people using modern Mac
systems.

But, I can see you are on a mission, inhabiting a kind of own world of
troll poetry and I listen to the rhythm of your repetitions when time
allows...

--
dorayme

Jolly Roger

Mar 22, 2018, 11:21:22 AM3/22/18
On 2018-03-22, Tim Streater <timst...@greenbee.net> wrote:

> But seeing posts from "Uultred ragnusen" and "Ragnusen Ultred"
> immediately spells troll, so I came to have a look, and, lo and
> behold, yet another troll with verbal diarrhoea.

He's actually the very same Apple-hating troll who has been coming to
the Apple news groups for a long time posting under many different names
to avoid filtering. Here's just a partial list of his most recently used
names, and anyone paying attention will recognize many of them:

Paul B. Andersen
Adair Bordon
Liam O'Connor
Juan Camilo Blanco
Alphonse Arnaud
Danny D.
Vinny Perado
Whitney Ryan
Tony Cito
Adam H. Kerman
Werner Obermeier
Steven Bornfeld
Winston_Smith
Mitch Kaufmann
Paul M. Cook
E. Robinson
Alice J.
P. Ng
Tam Nguyen
VPN user
Joe Clock
Marob Katon
Chris Rangoon
AArdvarks
Conradt
Gustl Hoffmann
Henry Jones
Tatsuki Takahashi
AL
Horace Algier
Karl Schultz
Arthur Conan Doyle
Algeria Horan
Raymond Spruance III
Martin Chuzzlewit II
John Harmon
Yanis Bernard
Stijn De Jong
Abe Swanson
Misha Vasiliev
Tomos Davies
Chaya Eve
Lionel Muller
Roy Tremblay
Frank S
Chaya Eve
Blake Snyder
harry newton
Harold Newton
ultred ragnusen
Ragnusen Ultred
Wilf

JR

Alan Baker

Mar 22, 2018, 1:33:37 PM3/22/18
Do I not... ...what, twit?

From what I've seen, the insult slinging started with you...

...and you continue with this posture that you're somehow more adult
than everyone else here.

Alan Baker

Mar 22, 2018, 1:34:05 PM3/22/18
On 2018-03-21 6:14 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
> In article <news:p8uv1d$tj4$2...@gioia.aioe.org>, Alan Baker wrote:
>
>>> The Apple Apologist is /incapable/ of acting like an adult.
>>
>> I'm not apologizing for anyone or anything, twit.
>
> As you may know, I post to all the major consumer platform newsgroups,
> where only on the Apple-related newsgroups are the responses almost always
> completely child like in character, content, intent, and demeanor.
>
> Just like you do in /every/ post of yours in this thread.
> Is that not a fact?

It is not a fact, tedious twit.

Alan Baker

Mar 22, 2018, 1:34:54 PM3/22/18
On 2018-03-21 9:03 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 23:27:45 -0400, in
> comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps you wrote:
>
>> No, that is a *fact*. :-)
>
> Thank you, Tyrone F. Horneigh, for consistently proving that on these
> Mac-related platform newsgroups, the vast majority of what is posted is
> child-like drivel.

Thank you for continuing to show you are nothing but a tedious twit, twit.

:-)

Alan Baker

Mar 22, 2018, 1:36:09 PM3/22/18
That question doesn't even begin to make sense, twit.

joe

Mar 22, 2018, 1:43:10 PM3/22/18
That's because he is clueless about client-server models. He also can't
recognize that if Windows and Linux act differently talking to the same
smb server, then the issues are likely due to the difference between
Windows and Linux and has a lot less to do with the iOS device.

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 22, 2018, 2:23:13 PM3/22/18
Am Thu, 22 Mar 2018 10:33:33 -0700, schrieb Alan Baker:

> Do I not... ...what, twit?
>
> From what I've seen, the insult slinging started with you...
>
> ...and you continue with this posture that you're somehow more adult
> than everyone else here.

Hi Alan Baker,

The insult slinging /never/ starts with me.
That's a fact.

Look at my tens of thousands of posts, where you'll never see me throw the
first stone. I know this, sans even looking, because I only /respond/ to
the child-like posts of yours.

If I asked the following question on the Apple newsgroup, I'm pretty sure
you would childishly call me a "twit" for asking a question which provides
facts where mere facts threaten the entire underpinnings of your imaginary
belief system:
Have you ever seen "unsupported reparse point" warnings in ls output?

Notice how /differently/ adults on the non-Apple platform groups handle
inconvenient facts, such as the fact that Linux no longer seamlessly mounts
Windows file systems as of February of this year, which is a bug I found
('tis my gift) while interfacing Windows to Linux in ways that Microsoft
hates.
Have you ever seen "unsupported reparse point" warnings in ls output?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.os.linux/3XyLpV-Za9o>

I realize facts confuse you Apple users, who are clearly far less technical
than Windows or Linux users (proof positive is shown in this very thread),
so I'll just summarize what adults have stated by linking to this picture
sequence which an adult on the Windows newsgroup made in response to my
query of inconvenient facts:
Do you notice what I'm trying to show you?
A. On Apple newsgroups, inconvenient facts are met with child-like "twits".
B. On Adult newsgroups, inconvenient facts are just that.

The adults on the other platform newsgroups /solve/ the problems, while the
children on the Apple-related newsgroups, call the bearer of fact, a
"twit".

Happens every time.
Proof positive in this very thread.

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 22, 2018, 2:33:52 PM3/22/18
Am Thu, 22 Mar 2018 10:34:50 -0700, schrieb Alan Baker:

> Thank you for continuing to show you are nothing but a tedious twit, twit.

What's amazing, which I've seen over the decades, is that the Apple zealot
such as Alan Baker appears to be, is absolutely petrified by inconvenient
facts.

Inconvenient facts threaten Alan Baker's entire underlying imaginary belief
system.

*Alan Baker is clearly /afraid/ of inconvenient facts.*

So, in natural defense, Alan Baker repeatedly calls the bearer of
inconvenient facts, a "twit", which, in his mind, is a slur to make
inconvenient facts disappear in his own mind.

And, yet, they're facts.
Even though Alan Baker is petrified by facts - they're still facts.

By way of stark contrast, notice how the adults on other platform
newsgroups act when confronted with inconvenient facts about their beloved
operating system:
a. Windows users act like adults when confronted with inconvenient fact
<http://www.pcbanter.net/showthread.php?s=187711408b574b07f62ce213b2a26586&t=1103450>
b. Linux users act like adults when confronted with inconvenient fact
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.os.linux/3XyLpV-Za9o>
c. I'll run an experiment in a moment to see how Mac users react.
<http://tinyurl.com/comp-sys-mac-system>

Notice that I can prove, time and again, having run hundreds of
single-blind experiments, that the Apple poster is, in general, child like,
when confronted with inconvenient facts about their beloved operating
system.

Why?
I don't know why.

Perhaps the Apple poster is simply not technical, which has been shown in
spades in this thread, where details are considered "clutter" to the Apple
posters.

I don't know why Apple owners can't handle factual detail, but I know it's
a fact that they prove time and again that they can't.

The question is why do Apple posters invariably respond to inconvenient
facts with insults like Alan Baker continually proves he does?

It's a fact that Alan Baker's own words are a perfect example of that
inbred innate child-like Apple poster attitude which is prevalent on this
Apple newsgroup (but not on the other platform newsgroups where similar
facts are discussed).

Just watch how Alan Baker responds to valid verified proven facts.

nospam

Mar 22, 2018, 2:37:56 PM3/22/18
In article <p90sab$4mi$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Ragnusen Ultred
<rrag...@ultred.com> wrote:

> The insult slinging /never/ starts with me.

yes it does.

> That's a fact.

nope.

Alan Baker

Mar 22, 2018, 2:38:21 PM3/22/18
On 2018-03-22 11:23 AM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
> Am Thu, 22 Mar 2018 10:33:33 -0700, schrieb Alan Baker:
>
>> Do I not... ...what, twit?
>>
>>  From what I've seen, the insult slinging started with you...
>>
>> ...and you continue with this posture that you're somehow more adult
>> than everyone else here.
>
> Hi Alan Baker,
>
> The insult slinging /never/ starts with me.
> That's a fact.

Bullshit.

That's an opinion, twit.

Alan Baker

Mar 22, 2018, 2:38:51 PM3/22/18
Produce some "verified proven facts" first, twit.

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 22, 2018, 2:40:48 PM3/22/18
Am Thu, 22 Mar 2018 09:42:24 +0000, schrieb Tim Streater:

> No it isn't.
>
> What *is* a fact is that you are a TROLL.

Thank you Tim Streater for proving my point, just as Jolly Roger always
does, that Apple owners are invariably /afraid/ of facts!

What's a fact is that I ask the /same/ question on Apple newsgroups as I
ask on Linux and Windows newsgroups, and only on the Apple newsgroups is a
fact considered a troll.

Why?
I think it's not because the Apple users are not very technical (witness,
for example, your proven inability to answer a /single/ technical question
posed in this thread).

No. I don't think it's because Apple posters are non technical, even though
they prove they can't answer the simplest of questions time and again.

I think it's because facts threaten the entire underpinnings of your
imaginary belief system.

Do you concur Tim Streater?

>>What do you use then, to transfer arbitrary files to and from your iOS
>>device over USB and WiFi on your local LAN?
>
> I've never used any method to transfer any file from my Mac to any iOS
> device.

Of course you haven't. You're not technical. Clearly that is a fact.
So you don't do anything that people do in the real world.

And yet, like most of the child-like Apple posters, you feel a need to call
the bearer of a simple fact, a troll.

Why?
Because, I think, facts scare the hell out of you.
You're /afraid/ of facts.

Hence, you call all facts, a troll.
(Just watch. Jolly Roger is the KING of that concept. Just watch.)

> This is an iOS related question and as such is of no interest to me at
> all. Unlike other Mac-related questions which are of interest to me
> technically.

Here is a mac-related question for you, but I predict you're incapable of
answering the /simplest/ of such questions, simply because you've already
proven you have almost zero technical capabilities.

Q: On the mac, what software do you use to run the SMB server & client?
Q: On the mac, what USB read/write mount points show up with iOS?

Can you answer those questions, Tim Streater.
Do you have /any/ technical capabilities in the real world?

None?
Really?

You have zero technical capabilities in the real world?
And yet ... you call the simple question, a troll?

Don't you see the child in /all/ your responses Tim Streater?

> But seeing posts from "Uultred ragnusen" and "Ragnusen Ultred"
> immediately spells troll, so I came to have a look, and, lo and behold,
> yet another troll with verbal diarrhoea.

You call all facts a troll, while you admit that you have zero technical
capabilities of interfacing iOS with the Mac.

I find that humorous.
Don't you?

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 22, 2018, 2:44:48 PM3/22/18
Am 22 Mar 2018 15:21:17 GMT, schrieb Jolly Roger:

> He's actually the very same Apple-hating troll who has been coming to
> the Apple news groups for a long time posting under many different names
> to avoid filtering. Here's just a partial list of his most recently used
> names, and anyone paying attention will recognize many of them:

I love when Jolly Roger posts because he gives me a perfectly simplistic
unhidden view of the mindset of the child-like Apple Apologist.

Hence, I find it humorous that Jolly Roger taught me the very often proven
fact that a classic Apple Apologists considers /all/ inconvenient facts a
troll.

I only speak facts.

In fact, if you search for the combination of "troll" and "Jolly Roger",
you find out that he comes out on top of most searches.

Fancy that.
Jolly Roger calls /all/ inconvenient facts, a troll.

Since there are a lot of inconvenient facts, he calls a /lot/ of facts a
troll.

And yet, on the adult platform newsgroups, this concept of calling all
inconvenient facts a troll doesn't exist.

Hehhehheh....

Just wait until Jolly Roger finds out how the Mac responds to the newly
discovered bug in the reparse points that we've been discussing on the
adult platform newsgroups!

:)

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 22, 2018, 2:50:59 PM3/22/18
Am Thu, 22 Mar 2018 09:45:02 +0000, schrieb Tim Streater:

> More likely you troll on them. Much more likely.

Notice how the Apple Apologist refuses to acknowledge that which is fact?

Tim Streater ... why are you so deathly afraid of inconvenient facts?

Did you look at the threads I referenced before you pronounced them trolls?

Of course not.

You, like most Apple Apologists, dismiss inconvenient fact out of hand.

Why?
I don't know why.

I think facts threaten your entire belief system, Tim Streater.
I think that's it.

Is that why you call all inconvenient facts a troll?

Notice that the adult Windows newsgroups just handled with aplomb the
inconvenient fact that Microsoft tile-based menus are an abomination with
regard to necessary hierarchy.

They showed me how the deal with it, and they provided hacks and solutions,
where one adult even created a video, where I returned the tribal knowledge
in kind with screenshots and tests. You call that a troll.

Why?
Because you hate inconvenient facts.

Notice that the adult Linux newsgroup also handled with aplomb the
inconvenient fact that Linux no longer accurately mounts Windows file
systems as of February 2018, which was news to all the Linux adults,
including me.

How did the Linux adults handle that inconvenient fact?

They looked it up, they guessed, they discussed, etc.
In short, on both the Windows and Linux newsgroups, the adults there
handled inconvenient facts like adults do.

It's only on the Apple newsgroups that inconvenient facts are called trolls
by the likes of child-like people such as you prove yourself to be, Mr. Tim
Streater.

Everything I stated here is a fact.
It's only the Apple newsgroups which are filled to the brim with children.

Why?
I think it's because facts threaten your entire belief system.

Is that right, Mr. Tim Streater?
You're /afraid/ of facts - so - you call all facts a troll.

Isn't that right Mr. Streater?

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 22, 2018, 2:58:16 PM3/22/18
Am Thu, 22 Mar 2018 10:34:02 -0700, schrieb Alan Baker:

> It is not a fact, tedious twit.

When I ask the same question on the adult platform newsgroups, nobody calls
me a "tedious twit" for bringing up inconvenient facts such at that
exemplified by this screenshot on the Windows adult newsgroup.
https://i.cubeupload.com/MpGI2l.jpg

Likewise, if I asked the same question on the adult Linux platform
newsgroup, I wouldn't be called a "twit" by those adults, and, in fact, an
adult poster (in this case, Paul) would test and confirm my facts on a
variety of Linux versions:
https://postimg.org/image/71fowjkdp/

In the case of the Windows adults, we recently confirmed that the Microsoft
tiled start menu abomination can't handle real-world hierarchy.

In the case of the Linux adults, we recently confirmed that the Linux ntfs
mounting tools can't handle the new Microsoft changes to NTFS that occurred
in February of this year.

Notice that only on the APple newsgroups are such inconvenient facts almost
always universally responded to in child-like derision.

You /hate/ facts, Alan Baker. Do you not?

Why?
Why do facts threaten you so very much that you must call the bearer of
facts, a "twit"?

I realize it's an inbred self-defense mechanism, so I ignore the attempt at
insulting me (which is impossible, since I only speak facts).

Why do you, Alan Baker, call the person with inconvenient facts, a twit?
Why are you so afraid of facts?

--
HINT: You Apple users are almost certainly technically clueless, but those
very same February 2018 changes to NTFS affect you too! :)

Jolly Roger

Mar 22, 2018, 2:58:18 PM3/22/18
On 2018-03-22, joe <no...@domain.invalid> wrote:
> On 3/22/2018 12:36 PM, Alan Baker wrote:

>>> The most important SMB-related technical question is simply this:
>>>
>>> Q: What application does the Mac use to communicate over WiFi with a
>>> SMB server and SMB client on a mobile device on the same LAN?
>>
>> That question doesn't even begin to make sense, twit.
>
> That's because he is clueless about client-server models. He also
> can't recognize that if Windows and Linux act differently talking to
> the same smb server, then the issues are likely due to the difference
> between Windows and Linux and has a lot less to do with the iOS
> device.

Yup. And he just assumes everyone is just as ignorant as he is, which is
absolutely priceless considering this is all coming from the same old
curmudgeon who constantly claims to be smarter than everyone else in the
Apple news groups. Time after time all he does is prove what an
ignoramus he really is. He's a proven idiot technophobe who actually
thinks he's fooling people who know better. He comes to the Apple news
groups for one reason only: he's outrageously fucking JEALOUS of
everything Apple. He HATES their success and everything they stand for,
and he takes every opportunity to show his disdain for anyone who
appreciates Apple devices/services. Imagine the dedication it must take
to spend countless hours seven days a week trolling so laboriously. It's
blatantly obvious he is a very sad person. It'd be funny to watch if it
wasn't so damned pathetic.

Jolly Roger

Mar 22, 2018, 2:59:44 PM3/22/18
On 2018-03-22, Ragnusen Ultred <rrag...@ultred.com> wrote:
> Am 22 Mar 2018 15:21:17 GMT, schrieb Jolly Roger:
>
>> He's actually the very same Apple-hating troll who has been coming to
>> the Apple news groups for a long time posting under many different names
>> to avoid filtering. Here's just a partial list of his most recently used
>> names, and anyone paying attention will recognize many of them:
>
> I love when Jolly Roger posts

You live to troll - you just *really* suck at it, old fart.

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 22, 2018, 2:59:51 PM3/22/18
Am Thu, 22 Mar 2018 14:37:53 -0400, schrieb nospam:

>> The insult slinging /never/ starts with me.
>
> yes it does.
>
>> That's a fact.
>
> nope.

Hi nospam,
Prove your words.

Provide a reference.

What's that?
C'mon. Not again.

You can't prove a single statement you make.

Why not?
Because you just make that up.

Look at this very thread.
Look.

Don't just guess.
Look.

Where do I not respond to the poster in kind?

Alan Baker

Mar 22, 2018, 3:01:21 PM3/22/18
On 2018-03-22 11:58 AM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
> Am Thu, 22 Mar 2018 10:34:02 -0700, schrieb Alan Baker:
>
>> It is not a fact, tedious twit.
>
> When I ask the same question on the adult platform newsgroups, nobody calls
> me a "tedious twit" for bringing up inconvenient facts such at that
> exemplified by this screenshot on the Windows adult newsgroup.
> https://i.cubeupload.com/MpGI2l.jpg

Sorry, twit: how does a screenshot of a Windows desktop scattered with
icons say anything about how you are regarded on an unnamed Windows
newsgroup?

> Likewise, if I asked the same question on the adult Linux platform
> newsgroup, I wouldn't be called a "twit" by those adults, and, in fact, an
> adult poster (in this case, Paul) would test and confirm my facts on a
> variety of Linux versions:
> https://postimg.org/image/71fowjkdp/

Same question.

> In the case of the Windows adults, we recently confirmed that the Microsoft
> tiled start menu abomination can't handle real-world hierarchy.

Produce a link to the thread where this happened, twit.

> In the case of the Linux adults, we recently confirmed that the Linux ntfs
> mounting tools can't handle the new Microsoft changes to NTFS that occurred
> in February of this year.

Same.

> Notice that only on the APple newsgroups are such inconvenient facts almost
> always universally responded to in child-like derision.
>
> You /hate/ facts, Alan Baker. Do you not?
>
> Why?
> Why do facts threaten you so very much that you must call the bearer of
> facts, a "twit"?
>
> I realize it's an inbred self-defense mechanism, so I ignore the attempt at
> insulting me (which is impossible, since I only speak facts).
>
> Why do you, Alan Baker, call the person with inconvenient facts, a twit?
> Why are you so afraid of facts?

You've only shown that you don't know the difference between an
"assertion" and a "fact", twit.

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 22, 2018, 3:01:41 PM3/22/18
Am Thu, 22 Mar 2018 11:38:18 -0700, schrieb Alan Baker:

> Bullshit.
>
> That's an opinion, twit.

Hehhehheh... you treat /all/ inconvenient facts the same.

I sincerely hope you don't vote because you consistently act exactly as a
child acts, hence I can read you like a book Alan Baker.

Facts petrify you.
You can't prove a /single/ accusation you make.

Not a single one.
That's a fact.

Show us all, Mr. Alan Baker, where what you say happened, happened in this
very thread.

C'mon Alan Baker.
Do facts utterly escape you at your own words?

Or, yet again, do you prove that you can't back up a /single/ statement you
make, with valid verified facts?

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 22, 2018, 3:05:31 PM3/22/18
Am Thu, 22 Mar 2018 11:38:47 -0700, schrieb Alan Baker:

> Produce some "verified proven facts" first, twit.

Hehhehheh... your own response is proof positive that you continually
respond to valid verified facts by insulting the bearer of those facts.

I posit that you are /afraid/ of facts.

Why are you afraid of facts.
I don't know why.

I posit that facts threaten the entire underlying foundation of your
imaginary belief system.

But I don't know why you call the bearer of facts a "twit", as I have
proven time and again the same facts posted to the adult newsgroups don't
result in being called a twit.

Alan Baker

Mar 22, 2018, 3:09:40 PM3/22/18
On 2018-03-22 12:01 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
> Am Thu, 22 Mar 2018 11:38:18 -0700, schrieb Alan Baker:
>
>> Bullshit.
>>
>> That's an opinion, twit.
>
> Hehhehheh... you treat /all/ inconvenient facts the same.

When you present some facts, twit, then we'll talk about how I treat them.

> I sincerely hope you don't vote because you consistently act exactly as a
> child acts, hence I can read you like a book Alan Baker.
>
> Facts petrify you.
> You can't prove a /single/ accusation you make.

I've made no accusations, twit.

> Not a single one.
> That's a fact.

No. That's an ASSERTION.

Alan Baker

Mar 22, 2018, 3:10:15 PM3/22/18
So rather than produce anything of substance, you reply with yet more
insults.

Tedious, twit.

Alan Baker

Mar 22, 2018, 3:11:52 PM3/22/18

nospam

Mar 22, 2018, 3:43:06 PM3/22/18
In article <p90uf2$8il$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Ragnusen Ultred
<rrag...@ultred.com> wrote:

> >> The insult slinging /never/ starts with me.
> >
> > yes it does.

> Provide a reference.

your posts.

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 22, 2018, 3:47:47 PM3/22/18
Am Thu, 22 Mar 2018 20:51:38 +1100, schrieb dorayme:

> I can't see how it gives any insight into average IOS users.

You have a fair enough point that Jolly Roger might not be an average iOS
user, where my insight into average iOS users comes from three sources.
1. Friends and family and acquaintances who are Apple users
2. Posters to the Apple related newsgroups
3. The rest of the world (e.g., Linux, Android, Windows)

While the mere fact that someone is an Apple user makes them quite
different, in and of itself, from Windows & Android & Linux users, what's
shockingly different is the pervasive child-like response of the Apple
users who post here, when confronted with mere technical facts that they
don't choose to like.

Jolly Roger is one such child-like persistent poster, so, of course, he
stands out.

> A few
> asholes that have made this their preferred home to exercise their
> prickery is hardly a guide to the millions of people using modern Mac
> systems.

Well, there has to be something /different/ about people who choose the Mac
over far more functional platforms such as Linux, where, in my expierence,
and the experience of this thread, the Mac user is unable to answer even
the /simplest/ of technical questions.

In fact, if Joe's response is typical, the Mac user feels that detail is
"clutter", and if Tim Streater's own words are typical, the Mac user feels
the bearer of fact to be a "twit".

This is not the case on the adult platform newsgroups, such as the Windows
and Linux newsgroups, where similar inconvenient facts were discussed this
week and we made good progress, as a team, in figuring out the solutions.

> But, I can see you are on a mission, inhabiting a kind of own world of
> troll poetry and I listen to the rhythm of your repetitions when time
> allows...

I only state facts.
If you feel that's a mission, then I would agree with you.

My mission is fact and solution.

If those facts are inconvenient, whether to Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, or
Windows, so be it.

They're just facts.

Only on the Apple newsgroups are facts so feared by the users as to merely
mention an inconvenient fact results in long discussions without any
technical progress.

Why are facts so feared on the Apple newsgroup?
I don't know why.

I just know what is.

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 22, 2018, 3:51:22 PM3/22/18
Am Thu, 22 Mar 2018 10:36:07 -0700, schrieb Alan Baker:

> That question doesn't even begin to make sense, twit.

Alan Baker uses this four-letter word, "twit", as if he's nothing but a
potty-mouthed fifth grader.

While I appreciate that Alan Baker proves for me, time and again, that the
Apple newsgroup is comprised of potty-mouthed fifth grade mental, the fact
remains that Alan Baker is unable to answer even the /simplest/ of
technical questions.

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 22, 2018, 3:54:06 PM3/22/18
Am Thu, 22 Mar 2018 12:43:07 -0500, schrieb joe:

> That's because he is clueless about client-server models. He also can't
> recognize that if Windows and Linux act differently talking to the same
> smb server, then the issues are likely due to the difference between
> Windows and Linux and has a lot less to do with the iOS device.

Hi Joe,

On Linux, I've set up the Samba server and the smbclient software.
On iOS, I've done the same.
On Windows, there's no need for either, since they're both native.

Does that mean I'm clueless about how the Mac does it?
Yup.

Is this a mac-related newsgroup?
Yup.

Is this a relevant mac-related question?
Yup.

So why does my simple question /always/ meet with derision on the Apple
user side?

Think about that?
On the other newsgroups, particularly Linux, I asked the /same/ question,
and they simply answered it.

Took all of two posts.

Why, only on the Apple newsgroups, is a simple relevant question, met with
such potty-mouthed child-like derision?

I think I know why.
Do you?

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 22, 2018, 3:54:58 PM3/22/18
Am Thu, 22 Mar 2018 09:33:09 +0000, schrieb Tim Streater:

>>a. child-like potty-mouthed instant insults (e.g., Tim Streater)
>
> This is not a fact.

You play silly semantic games, because you can't handle facts.

You're /afraid/ of facts.

Why?
I don't know why.

You tell me why you respond to valid facts with child-like drivel.

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 22, 2018, 3:58:39 PM3/22/18
Am 22 Mar 2018 18:58:15 GMT, schrieb Jolly Roger:

> Yup. And he just assumes everyone is just as ignorant as he is, which is
> absolutely priceless considering this is all coming from the same old
> curmudgeon who constantly claims to be smarter than everyone else in the
> Apple news groups. Time after time all he does is prove what an
> ignoramus he really is. He's a proven idiot technophobe who actually
> thinks he's fooling people who know better. He comes to the Apple news
> groups for one reason only: he's outrageously fucking JEALOUS of
> everything Apple. He HATES their success and everything they stand for,
> and he takes every opportunity to show his disdain for anyone who
> appreciates Apple devices/services. Imagine the dedication it must take
> to spend countless hours seven days a week trolling so laboriously. It's
> blatantly obvious he is a very sad person. It'd be funny to watch if it
> wasn't so damned pathetic.

What's a proven fact is that I bring inconvenient facts to the Windows
newsgroup, where they handle the inconvenient facts like adults.
What is this strange new Windows file-system beast (C:\Windows\System32\wuaueng.dll)?
<http://www.pcbanter.net/showthread.php?s=187711408b574b07f62ce213b2a26586&t=1103450>

What's a proven fact is that I bring inconvenient fact to the Linux
newsgroup, where they also handle the inconvenient fact like adults:
Have you ever seen "unsupported reparse point" warnings in ls output?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.os.linux/3XyLpV-Za9o>

And yet, only on the Apple newsgroups, is inconvenient fact returned with
fantastically hateful vitriol from the likes of people like Jolly Roger.

Why are Apple users so childish when confronted with inconvenient facts?

Alan Baker

Mar 22, 2018, 4:03:48 PM3/22/18
You think that "twit" is "potty-mouthed", twit.

That only proves you ignorant.

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 22, 2018, 4:04:37 PM3/22/18
Am Thu, 22 Mar 2018 12:01:18 -0700, schrieb Alan Baker:

> Sorry, twit: how does a screenshot of a Windows desktop scattered with
> icons say anything about how you are regarded on an unnamed Windows
> newsgroup?

What you prove, time and again, Alan Baker, is your utter lack of adult
comprehensive skills.

I proved this, time and again, by supplying links backing up my assertions,
where you respond, just now, that facts simply confuse you.

And yet, since it's a proven fact that you can't even comprehend the
/simplest/ of facts as shown in a simple screenshot, it's amazing that you
call the bearer of facts a fifth-grade potty-mouthed four-letter word.

I find you a poster child for the Apple poster here, not merely because
your vocabulary has been stunted at the fifth-grade potty-mouthed stage,
but more because you've proven, time and again, you lack basic adult
comprehensive skills in everything you post.

You prove my point, in every post.
Are you truly utterly devoid of any adult comprehensive rationale?

Ragnusen Ultred

Mar 22, 2018, 4:06:17 PM3/22/18
Am Thu, 22 Mar 2018 09:25:06 +0000, schrieb Tim Streater:

>>And some felt the need to childishly respond, even though they admitted
>>they never once comprehended /any/ of the facts provided, e.g., Tim
>>Streater, where his own words proved this fact that he acts like a child.
>
> Now now, don't tell lies. I said I hadn't examined your alleged facts,
> which is not the same thing at all. And that is a fact. And here's
> another: I don't intend to - largely because of your childish attitude
> but but also because I don't use the software components involved.

What I find revealing, is that Tim Streater, who has clearly acted as a
child acts throughout this entire thread, then responds to that fact, by
saying that those who point it out, are exhibiting a "childish attitude".

I only speak fact.

Alan Baker

Mar 22, 2018, 4:06:58 PM3/22/18
On 2018-03-22 1:04 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
> Am Thu, 22 Mar 2018 12:01:18 -0700, schrieb Alan Baker:
>
>> Sorry, twit: how does a screenshot of a Windows desktop scattered with
>> icons say anything about how you are regarded on an unnamed Windows
>> newsgroup?
>
> What you prove, time and again, Alan Baker, is your utter lack of adult
> comprehensive skills.

So produce this famed thread, twit.

Alan Baker

Mar 22, 2018, 4:07:20 PM3/22/18