Netscape or MacWeb?

Richard Shapiro

Jan 10, 1995, 12:51:20 PM1/10/95
In article <marty_bose-1001950931160001@mac_mar_bose.net.com> marty...@net.com (Marty Bose) writes:
»I have the latest versions of both Netscape & MacWeb and friends who are
»Mac experts swear by each of them.

I'm just curious, is anyone using Mosaic anymore? Whenever I see a
"dueling browsers" post these days, it's always MacWeb vs Netscape. I
gave up on Mosaic myself, but I'm still surprised to see it drop out
of the picture so completely.

rs

Kiran Wagle

Jan 10, 1995, 2:50:29 PM1/10/95
macr...@labs-n.bbn.com (Richard Shapiro) wrote:

> I'm just curious, is anyone using Mosaic anymore? Whenever I see a
> "dueling browsers" post these days, it's always MacWeb vs Netscape.

I'd like to, but it usually crashes a few minutes after I open it.
For example, when I try to resize the window.

Before anyone jumps up to say "It's alpha software; of course it has
bugs!" let me point out that I use a fair amount of alpha software, and
most of it runs far more reliably than Mosaic. MacWeb, for example,
claims to be an alpha. I'm truly amazed at what NCSA is letting out the
door.

I'm used to "alpha" meaning "It'll crash occasionally and the developers
are working to fix those problems; check back tomorrow" and not "It'll
crash on startup and a new version will not arrive for weeks, if not
months."
I NEED to use Mosaic, since I have a Web page that many people try to
access with Mosaic. But I can't--I have to bug people who have the X
version to try it for me and report the results, because MacMosaic crashes
before it loads a whole page.

~ Kiran <gr...@netcom.com>

--
1628 5th St NW Washington DC 20001
WWW: http://www.io.com/user/entropy/home.html

"Tapirs are animals used in geography books. Geography could be taught
without tapirs but it would not be the same. Geography with Tapirs
gives children the right start in life. If they go wrong later on,
it is not the fault of the Tapir."...Will Cuppy, _How to Attract the Wombat_

Quinn The Eskimo!

Jan 10, 1995, 9:19:41 PM1/10/95
In article <MACRSHAP.95...@labs-n.bbn.com>,
macr...@labs-n.bbn.com (Richard Shapiro) wrote:

>I'm just curious, is anyone using Mosaic anymore? Whenever I see a
>"dueling browsers" post these days, it's always MacWeb vs Netscape. I
>gave up on Mosaic myself, but I'm still surprised to see it drop out
>of the picture so completely.

Really? I'm not surprised at all. For example when I ran Mosaic on my
Mac it would immediately go off to NCSA for its home page. That was
really slow from my end of the world so I'd quit it. Mosaic would respond
by bombing. Software like that just doesn't survive in the Mac world.

Share and Enjoy.
--
Quinn "The Eskimo!" "Ah, so that's the secret,
if only Captain Bipto had known.

Kiran Wagle

Jan 11, 1995, 8:05:23 AM1/11/95
cw...@io.com (Charlie Wood) wrote:

> I've seen headers in the vein of MacWeb vs NetScape, but has MacWeb been
> revved? The latest version I have is 0.98a, which is quite older than the
> oldest NetScape.

Sheesh. You're now something like three revisions behind. All three were
posted to and discussed on this newsgroup, by the way. The latest version
is

ftp://ftp.mcc.com/einet/mac/macweb/macweb1.00A3.sea.hqx

which should also be found as

ftp://ftp.mcc.com/einet/mac/macweb.latest.sea.hqx

> NetScape is neato and all, but, you know,
> when is a GOOD web browser for the Mac coming out?

Try running OS/2 on Apple's Houdini card, and use their Web browser if
you're not satisifed with the Macintosh browsers. Have you even bothered
to keep up with the latest versions of the software you do use? <grumble>

Matti Haveri

Jan 11, 1995, 8:54:19 AM1/11/95
I use mainly MacWeb. I only use Netscape when I need to copy text from the
window (wish MacWeb gets this feature soon).

Netscape's recommended memory (4096 vs 2048) is also larger than MacWeb's
so Netscape is useless on <5M machines if one wants to use helpers without
the aid of virtual memory.

-Matti Haveri <mha...@cc.oulu.fi>

Kiran Wagle

Jan 12, 1995, 11:32:24 AM1/12/95
mha...@cc.oulu.fi (Matti Haveri) wrote:

> Netscape's recommended memory (4096 vs 2048) is also larger than MacWeb's
> so Netscape is useless on <5M machines if one wants to use helpers without
> the aid of virtual memory.

Netscape's memory requirements are abusrd.

It's as if they wrote the damn thing in HyperCard or something.

Netscape folks: please consider this an official request for a version
which will run in a meg and is happy with two.

~ Kiran <gr...@netcom.com>

"It's hard to sleep at night when you know that a 10 pound frog from Southern
Cameroon might come and jump on your stomach."--Chas. M. Schultz "Snoopy"

Eckart Hasselbrink

Jan 12, 1995, 4:47:49 AM1/12/95
In article <quinn-11019...@mac168.cs.uwa.oz.au> Quinn,

qu...@cs.uwa.edu.au writes:
>>I'm just curious, is anyone using Mosaic anymore? Whenever I see a
>>"dueling browsers" post these days, it's always MacWeb vs Netscape. I
>>gave up on Mosaic myself, but I'm still surprised to see it drop out
>>of the picture so completely.
>
>Really? I'm not surprised at all. For example when I ran Mosaic on my
>Mac it would immediately go off to NCSA for its home page. That was
>really slow from my end of the world so I'd quit it. Mosaic would
respond
>by bombing. Software like that just doesn't survive in the Mac world.

I understand. But would not a very uncomfortable situation arise, if the
Mac world would be 100 % dependend on commercial providers for a Web
browser and the only "public/academic" alternative of significance would
fade away because of a lack of support.

Look at how valuable it is to have NCSA Telnet available although there
are
better commercial alternatives.

Eckart

Eckart Hasselbrink Hasse...@FHI-Berlin.MPG.de
Fritz-Haber-Institut
Faradayweg 4-6
14195 Berlin FON: x49-30-8305 316
Germany FAX: x49-30-8305 520

Aleksandar Totic

Jan 12, 1995, 8:03:09 PM1/12/95
In article <groo-12019...@192.0.2.1>, gr...@netcom.com (Kiran
Wagle) wrote:

> mha...@cc.oulu.fi (Matti Haveri) wrote:
>
> > Netscape's recommended memory (4096 vs 2048) is also larger than MacWeb's
> > so Netscape is useless on <5M machines if one wants to use helpers without
> > the aid of virtual memory.
>
> Netscape's memory requirements are abusrd.
>
> It's as if they wrote the damn thing in HyperCard or something.
>
> Netscape folks: please consider this an official request for a version
> which will run in a meg and is happy with two.

Netscape's recommended memory is 3M (in 1.0 release), and the minimum
requirement is 1.8M. It will run pretty happily in 2. The old requirements
were in effect during beta due to additional debugging info, and lack of
disk cache.

Aleks
--
Aleksandar Totic
Mozilla Development Team

Mark Webster

Jan 15, 1995, 8:19:01 PM1/15/95

>>Really? I'm not surprised at all. For example when I ran Mosaic on my
>>Mac it would immediately go off to NCSA for its home page. That was
>>really slow from my end of the world so I'd quit it. Mosaic would
>respond
>>by bombing. Software like that just doesn't survive in the Mac world.

You can have whatever home page you want, including my personal favourite -
none.

__ |\ D E P A R T M E N T O F D E F E N C E
/ |_| \ --------------------*--------------------
.' \ DEFENCE SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY ORGANISATION
/ DSTO \ Aeronautical & Maritime Research Laboratory
\ __ / GPO Box 4331 Melbourne VIC 3001
\_.-' \_*/ Mark Webster, Ship Structures and Materials Division
v mark.w...@dsto.defence.gov.au +61 3 626 8256
DISCLAIMER: The contents of this message do not necessarily represent
the Commonwealth of Australia or the Australian Department of Defence.

Kiran Wagle

Jan 17, 1995, 7:11:00 AM1/17/95
jch...@cam.org (Jonathan Chung) wrote:

> I have been using MacWeb 1.00a3 (fat binary) on my 7100 with geoport
> 1.0.2 and express modem 1.5.5. I have been experiencing so-so stability

Try bumping up your memory allocation. You may still have crashes when
memory gets low, but that point will take longer to arrive.

~ Kiran <gr...@netcom.com>

--

"The Tasmanian Devil is so awful that he is protected by the government."
..................... Will Cuppy, _How to get from January to December_

Mark Hattam

Jan 19, 1995, 8:47:57 PM1/19/95
In article <cwood-11019...@slip-19.io.com>,
cw...@io.com (Charlie Wood) wrote:

>In article <MACRSHAP.95...@labs-n.bbn.com>,
>macr...@labs-n.bbn.com (Richard Shapiro) wrote:
>

>I've seen headers in the vein of MacWeb vs NetScape, but has MacWeb been
>revved? The latest version I have is 0.98a, which is quite older than the

>oldest NetScape. NetScape is neato and all, but, you know, when is a GOOD
>web browser for the Mac coming out? Peter? John? Quinn? Al? Hello?!? ;-)
>
>regards,
>Charlie
>
>--
>Charlie Wood | "I think, therefore I think I am."
>cw...@io.com | http://io.com/user/cwood/

Well have a little look at ftp.einet.net (or www.einet.net) and you'll find
MacWeb 1.00A3 native for both Mac and PPC. It's far faster than NetScape
and doesn't bomb on accessing ftp servers etc. Its RAM requirements put
NetScape (and Mosaic which NetScape seems rapidly to be transforming into)
to shame.
Another cool feature is the click and hold feature in MacWeb allowing you
easily to save to disk or view source etc.

Mark Hattam
ma...@dxradio.demon.co.uk

Quinn The Eskimo!

Jan 18, 1995, 9:26:48 PM1/18/95
In article <webster.28...@ssmd.mrl.dsto.gov.au>,
web...@ssmd.mrl.dsto.gov.au (Mark Webster) wrote:

>You can have whatever home page you want, including my personal favourite -
>none.

Sure you can configure it but my point was that the default configuration
was really dumb and the program crashed when you tried to escape it.

Chris Garrigues

Jan 20, 1995, 5:12:50 PM1/20/95
In article <taz-200195...@taz.slip.rtd.com>, t...@rtd.com (J.P.
Page) wrote:

>In article <quinn-19019...@mac168.cs.uwa.oz.au>,
>I don't know about you guys, but I don't think my sys 7.5 likes MacWeb
>1.00A3. MacWeb crashes more than it doesn't. I made the switch to
>Netscape 1.0N but still miss the click and download (graphics) feature of
>MacWeb.]

Works fine for me under 7.5.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues c...@DeepEddy.Com
609 Deep Eddy Avenue +1 512 499 0483

Kyung Suk (Dan) Oh

Jan 20, 1995, 6:10:31 PM1/20/95
In article <cwg-200195...@cwgduo.mcc.com>, c...@DeepEddy.Com (Chris
Garrigues) wrote:

> In article <taz-200195...@taz.slip.rtd.com>, t...@rtd.com (J.P.
> Page) wrote:
>
> >In article <quinn-19019...@mac168.cs.uwa.oz.au>,
> >I don't know about you guys, but I don't think my sys 7.5 likes MacWeb
> >1.00A3. MacWeb crashes more than it doesn't. I made the switch to
> >Netscape 1.0N but still miss the click and download (graphics) feature of
> >MacWeb.]

Well, the speed of MacWeb is impressive (specially, for PowerMac version),
but I like the bookmark menu on Netscape (compare to the hotlist menu on
MacWeb) and this keeps me to using Netscape over MacWeb.

John Norstad

Jan 20, 1995, 9:31:09 PM1/20/95
Page) wrote:

> I don't know about you guys, but I don't think my sys 7.5 likes MacWeb
> 1.00A3. MacWeb crashes more than it doesn't. I made the switch to
> Netscape 1.0N but still miss the click and download (graphics) feature of
> MacWeb.]

Interesting. It's the opposite for me. I have lots of crashes and hangs
with Netscape 1.0N with 7.5 (especially with SLIP), but I don't have any
problems with MacWeb 1.00A3!

--
John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services

J.P. Page

Jan 20, 1995, 3:31:36 PM1/20/95

qu...@cs.uwa.edu.au (Quinn "The Eskimo!") wrote:

> In article <webster.28...@ssmd.mrl.dsto.gov.au>,
> web...@ssmd.mrl.dsto.gov.au (Mark Webster) wrote:
>
> >You can have whatever home page you want, including my personal favourite -
> >none.
>
> Sure you can configure it but my point was that the default configuration
> was really dumb and the program crashed when you tried to escape it.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't think my sys 7.5 likes MacWeb
1.00A3. MacWeb crashes more than it doesn't. I made the switch to
Netscape 1.0N but still miss the click and download (graphics) feature of
MacWeb.]

Pete

Mark Chrisman

Jan 21, 1995, 6:33:20 AM1/21/95

Netscape is better at letting you click or select menu items while a page
is still loading. Also, it gets the page layout right the first time.
(MacWeb reformats & redraws the page over and over as each inline image is
loaded. Just like Mosaic.)

MacWeb seems to draw pages faster, but I don't think this gives an overall
speed improvement.

Mark Chrisman (if your reply is of general interest
please post it, don't email it. Thanks!)

Scott McGuire

Jan 21, 1995, 12:18:05 PM1/21/95
I'd really like to use MacWeb, since it is quicker and more compact.

However, it almost always hangs when I try to cancel an operation (loading
a page, picture, contacting a host) in the middle. Since I'm going over a
PPP connection, I do this a lot! Netscape is wonderfully responsive about
dumping a connection and letting you move on to something else.

Is it just me that has this problem with MacWeb? It's almost never
mentioned in these MacWeb vs. everything else discussions.

Also, MacWeb still doesn't cut and paste text (I have seen this mentioned
before!).

Fix these two things, and I'll switch in an instant. Until then...

--Scott McGuire / smcg...@mit.edu

Jay Farrell

Jan 21, 1995, 1:00:26 PM1/21/95
In article <3fqre0$8...@mark.ucdavis.edu>, chri...@ucdmath.ucdavis.edu
(Mark Chrisman) wrote:

> Netscape is better at letting you click or select menu items while a page
> is still loading. Also, it gets the page layout right the first time.
> (MacWeb reformats & redraws the page over and over as each inline image is
> loaded. Just like Mosaic.)
>
> MacWeb seems to draw pages faster, but I don't think this gives an overall
> speed improvement.

I wonder if MacWeb seems to draw faster merely because it displays it's
data transfer counter in 'bytes' rather than 'K'.

Jay Farrell http://www.netaxs.com/~jayfar/
jay...@netaxs.com
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
"Wonder How A Po' M*ther F*cker Feel"

-- Joshua Jordan (1919-1993)

Douglas Ide

Jan 21, 1995, 1:03:12 PM1/21/95
I use both. I mainly use Netscape, but whenever I'm going to 'visit' the
what's new with mosaic page, I switch to MacWeb. It's so much faster at
returning to the what's new page from whatever link I followed, MUCH
faster, that I won't wait for Netscape to reload the page. When Netscape
fixes this problem, I'll probably use it only.

REF: In article <ksoh-20019...@elemcmac1.ece.uiuc.edu>,

ks...@decwa.ece.uiuc.edu (Kyung Suk (Dan) Oh) wrote:

> Well, the speed of MacWeb is impressive (specially, for PowerMac version),
> but I like the bookmark menu on Netscape (compare to the hotlist menu on
> MacWeb) and this keeps me to using Netscape over MacWeb.

Douglas Ide
dou...@dgs.dgsys.com
"How glorious it is, and also how painful, to be an exception."
--Alfred de Musset

Quinn The Eskimo!

Jan 22, 1995, 12:29:53 AM1/22/95
In article <smcguire-210...@bluebox-42.mit.edu>,
smcg...@mit.edu (Scott McGuire) wrote:

>However, it almost always hangs when I try to cancel an operation [...]

>Is it just me that has this problem with MacWeb? It's almost never
>mentioned in these MacWeb vs. everything else discussions.

Well cancelling requests works fine for me. I use ARA and LocalTalk.

>Also, MacWeb still doesn't cut and paste text (I have seen this mentioned
>before!).

Yeah, that's annoying.

And worse yet, none of them support Internet Config (:

mooooo!

Jan 22, 1995, 12:43:59 AM1/22/95
In article <jayfar-2101...@198.69.187.194>, jay...@netaxs.com
(Jay Farrell) wrote:

> In article <3fqre0$8...@mark.ucdavis.edu>, chri...@ucdmath.ucdavis.edu
> (Mark Chrisman) wrote:
>
> > Netscape is better at letting you click or select menu items while a page
> > is still loading. Also, it gets the page layout right the first time.
> > (MacWeb reformats & redraws the page over and over as each inline image is
> > loaded. Just like Mosaic.)
> >
> > MacWeb seems to draw pages faster, but I don't think this gives an overall
> > speed improvement.
> >
> I wonder if MacWeb seems to draw faster merely because it displays it's
> data transfer counter in 'bytes' rather than 'K'.

uhh...no?
MacWeb draws graphical pages much quicker than Netscape does on a
Powermac, since it decodes GIF's so much faster. Once Netscape is released
PPC native however, things will probably equalize...
___________________<shan...@leland.stanford.edu>___________________
coffee...tea...monster....coffee...tea...monster. 42,312 __o
-=-Andrew Shieh-=- from PGSAS 1993/Stanford 1998 vball++++ _`\<,_
http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~shandrew/ (_)/ (_)

Matti Haveri

Jan 22, 1995, 2:07:55 PM1/22/95
> >Also, MacWeb still doesn't cut and paste text

This is the feature which keeps me occasionally using NetScape.

I wonder would it be possible to copy or save the www-pages with
text-formatting (Mosaic could copy styl to clipboard) _and_ graphics as
well. This would be cool...

-Matti Haveri <mha...@cc.oulu.fi>

Mike Rosenberg

Jan 23, 1995, 12:14:37 AM1/23/95
t...@rtd.com (J.P. Page) wrote:

>I don't know about you guys, but I don't think my sys 7.5 likes MacWeb
>1.00A3.

_My_ System 7.5 likes MacWeb 1.00A3 just fine. Perhaps one of your non-7.5
extensions doesn't like it.

----------

Mike Rosenberg
Macintosh Consultant/Instructor
mrose...@electriciti.com
San Diego

Trevis C. Lawton

Jan 23, 1995, 5:10:59 AM1/23/95
Hmmm.... I have found Netscape 1.0N so damn flaky that I have gone back
to 0.96. v1.0 crashes quite often on quitting, or *steals* huge amounts
of RAM on quitting, whereas 0.96 runs beautifully on OS7.5.

T.C. Lawton
Librarian/System Administrator
New Norcia Library
Holy Trinity Abbey, West Australia

It's hard to sleep at night when you know that a 10 pound frog from
Southern Cameroon might come and jump on your stomach.

Chas. M. Schultz "Snoopy"

Steve Elmore

Jan 23, 1995, 8:35:02 AM1/23/95
In article <3fvvbj$p...@classic.iinet.com.au>, t...@iinet.com.au (Trevis C.
Lawton) wrote:

My Netscape 1.0N was crashing often as well (and using the little memory
hogging). I rebuilt the desktop and that seems to have stopped the
crashing. No fix for the memory stuff though.

--
Steven Elmore (sfce...@netcom.com)
"I want some Prozac & I want some Tylenol...NOW!"

Brent Dombrowski

Jan 23, 1995, 9:59:12 AM1/23/95
mooooo! (shan...@leland.stanford.edu) wrote:
: In article <jayfar-2101...@198.69.187.194>, jay...@netaxs.com
: (Jay Farrell) wrote:

For my 040, Netscape is faster. Also, I prefer Netscapes hotlist.
It will let you export the hotlist to an html file. No need for a converter.
I went through mine and added a few lines so that I an get to the different
sections quicker. I keep a copy of MacWeb on hand because Netscape has a
problem with printing gray-scale images to my StyleWriter II. Until both of
them get it all together, its going to really hard to say which is better.

Brent Dombrowski | O Mutants for Thermo-
br...@uoknor.edu | \___/ Nuclear Power (tm)

David Shaw

Jan 24, 1995, 12:12:58 PM1/24/95
smcg...@mit.edu (Scott McGuire) writes:

>However, it almost always hangs when I try to cancel an operation (loading
>a page, picture, contacting a host) in the middle. Since I'm going over a
>PPP connection, I do this a lot! Netscape is wonderfully responsive about
>dumping a connection and letting you move on to something else.
>Is it just me that has this problem with MacWeb? It's almost never
>mentioned in these MacWeb vs. everything else discussions.

I have no problem cancelling it over my SLIP connection (well, actually a pseudo
SLIP connection via TIA). MacWeb works great for me.
However, i can't say the same for Netscape. First, you can't click on a
URL or graphic and have the options of downloading the graphic, copying the URL
to the clipboard, etc (all built into MacWeb). Second, pages that look normal
in MacWeb are misaligned in Netscape (my page is an example). Unordered lists
are autumatically bulleted, even if you use a graphic for the bullet. Strange.
I'm sticking with macweb...
--
David P. Shaw / gt0...@acme.gatech.edu /----/ /----/ /-----/ ___ _ __ ___
Georgia Institute of Technology /____ /____ / /-/ / / _ \ | / /

Miguel Cruz

Jan 31, 1995, 5:52:26 PM1/31/95
In article <j-norstad-200...@lucky103.acns.nwu.edu>,

John Norstad <j-no...@nwu.edu> wrote:
>Interesting. It's the opposite for me. I have lots of crashes and hangs
>with Netscape 1.0N with 7.5 (especially with SLIP), but I don't have any
>problems with MacWeb 1.00A3!

Likewise. I'm using a 6100 w/7.5 and I notice that Netscape will lock up
while loading images (colon on superclock stops flashing, modem shows
occasional receive data but nothing sent as the SLIP server waits in vain
for response) quite frequently, maybe once per 15 minutes of heavy
clicking. But almost all the time, if I do force quit
(command-option-escape or command-shift-control-capslock-escape or
whatever it is) then choose "Cancel", it wakes right back up, the page
continues loading, and everything's fine again... until the next time.
This happens when I'm not using any non-Apple stuff other than InterSLIP.

miguel

Raphael Donato

Feb 1, 1995, 1:54:42 PM2/1/95
In article <mncD3A...@netcom.com>
m...@netcom.com (Miguel Cruz) writes:

Use command-period it is a lot better than a force quit and a lot nicer
on your system :-)

Raphael Donato
Computer Dimensions

Ed Pierce

Feb 1, 1995, 3:36:04 PM2/1/95

I have had the same lockup problem using a SupraFax 14.4 with SLIP and
Netscape.I stumbled on the same escape trick. :) This happened for about a
week, then no more. ( two weeks ago.) Where does the problem (fault) lie?
Anybody know?

Ed

mike flugennock

Feb 1, 1995, 7:39:07 PM2/1/95
Miguel Cruz (m...@netcom.com) wrote:
: In article <j-norstad-200...@lucky103.acns.nwu.edu>,

First of all, imho, you should get rid of Netscape 1.0N. I don't know
what the hell they did with it; when I saw how slick b0.96 was, I was on
the edge of my seat for 1.0N, and it turned out to be trashed. The
newsreader was always a bit slow, but it ran well, and didn't gag. The
newsreader in 1.0N is a total disaster. Version 1.0N seems overall much
more slow than b0.96, which I've gone back to and stuck with.

Second, also imho, try using MacPPP instead of InterSLIP. I
re-re-re-installed InterSLIP three times, _exactly_ according to the
instructions, and I just couldn't get the damn' thing to work. I
installed MacPPP and got it fired up and wailing on the second try. The
only reason it took two tries was because of human error (I mis-typed a
set of IP numbers somewhere).

From where I am, behind a Mac IIsi/17mb ram/340mbhd/MacTCP 2.0.4, MacPPP
and Netscape b0.96 have been damn' near unbeatable.

i got a little black book with my poems in,
got a bag, a toothbrush and comb;
when i'm a good dog, they sometimes throw me a bone!
--Pink Floyd.

michael swartzbeck
sin...@clark.net
http://www.clark.net/pub/sinkers/home.html

Joe D'Elia

Feb 1, 1995, 8:05:24 PM2/1/95

: First of all, imho, you should get rid of Netscape 1.0N. I don't know
: what the hell they did with it; when I saw how slick b0.96 was, I was on
: the edge of my seat for 1.0N, and it turned out to be trashed. The
: newsreader was always a bit slow, but it ran well, and didn't gag. The
: newsreader in 1.0N is a total disaster. Version 1.0N seems overall much
: more slow than b0.96, which I've gone back to and stuck with.

snip

: From where I am, behind a Mac IIsi/17mb ram/340mbhd/MacTCP 2.0.4, MacPPP

: and Netscape b0.96 have been damn' near unbeatable.

I don't know if this will make a difference with your configuration, but
the FAQ for Netscape 1.0N recommends using MacTCP 2.0.6.

Regards,
Joe

Miguel Cruz

Feb 2, 1995, 4:18:49 AM2/2/95
to vis...@pip.shsu.edu
In article <3goldi$2...@pip.shsu.edu>,

Raphael Donato <vis...@pip.shsu.edu> wrote:
>In article <mncD3A...@netcom.com>
>m...@netcom.com (Miguel Cruz) writes:
>> clicking. But almost all the time, if I do force quit
>> (command-option-escape or command-shift-control-capslock-escape or
>> whatever it is) then choose "Cancel", it wakes right back up, the page
>
>Use command-period it is a lot better than a force quit and a lot nicer
>on your system :-)

I agree; except that it doesn't work. I've been too lazy to pop into
Macsbug and see what it's hanging up on, but in these cases it's
definitely not paying attention to mundane things like command-period.
I'll see if I can get it to happen tonight and report back any
interesting discoveries.

Incidentally I am using MacTCP 2.06.

miguel

Darrell Werries

Feb 2, 1995, 4:06:51 PM2/2/95
Joe D'Elia (de...@crl.com) wrote:
: I don't know if this will make a difference with your configuration, but
: the FAQ for Netscape 1.0N recommends using MacTCP 2.0.6.

I have done this quite a number of times (running Netscape 1.0N, that
is) from home and have had no problems at all. I do use MacTCP 2.0.6,
though, and I am also running over a PPP connection instead of a SLIP
connection.

--
==--> Darrell

Mark Hattam

Feb 3, 1995, 1:48:26 PM2/3/95
In article <3goldi$2...@pip.shsu.edu>,
vis...@pip.shsu.edu (Raphael Donato) wrote:

Yes, I agree command-period is the ideal way ... but Netscape doesn't take
any notice of this system-friendly approach.

FWIW the windows version of Netscape 1.0 does pretty much the same thing,
except there you have to restart windows with a ctrl-option-delete (twice).

Mark Hattam
ma...@dxradio.demon.co.uk

fre...@access.digex.net

Feb 5, 1995, 12:11:34 PM2/5/95
In article <3gp9jb$o...@clarknet.clark.net>, sin...@clark.net (mike
flugennock) wrote:

> Second, also imho, try using MacPPP instead of InterSLIP. I
> re-re-re-installed InterSLIP three times, _exactly_ according to the
> instructions, and I just couldn't get the damn' thing to work. I
> installed MacPPP and got it fired up and wailing on the second try. The
> only reason it took two tries was because of human error (I mis-typed a
> set of IP numbers somewhere).
>
> From where I am, behind a Mac IIsi/17mb ram/340mbhd/MacTCP 2.0.4, MacPPP
> and Netscape b0.96 have been damn' near unbeatable.

> michael swartzbeck
> sin...@clark.net
> http://www.clark.net/pub/sinkers/home.html

i've got a quadra 610 with 8 real and 16 ramdoubler megs of ram. i'm
using a suprafaxmodem 144lc and i've got a slip connection and i'm running
interslip with mactcp 2.0.6. i've had no problems whatsovever with
netscape, macweb or mosaic. i tend to stick with netscape(1.0n) because
it's the quickest. it's reall hard to say why you are experiencing these
problems. it seems that that only real differences among all of us are
the models. do you have problems with turbogopher or fetch?

-mark

--
Quaecumquae Vera Sunt

Joseph McIntyre

Feb 7, 1995, 12:24:46 AM2/7/95
In article <mncD3A...@netcom.com>, m...@netcom.com (Miguel Cruz) wrote:

> Likewise. I'm using a 6100 w/7.5 and I notice that Netscape will lock up
> while loading images (colon on superclock stops flashing, modem shows
> occasional receive data but nothing sent as the SLIP server waits in vain
> for response) quite frequently, maybe once per 15 minutes of heavy
> clicking. But almost all the time, if I do force quit
> (command-option-escape or command-shift-control-capslock-escape or
> whatever it is) then choose "Cancel", it wakes right back up, the page
> continues loading, and everything's fine again... until the next time.
> This happens when I'm not using any non-Apple stuff other than InterSLIP.
>
> miguel

Interesting...I found the same problem and solution (force quit and
cancel) for Netscape. Then I had MacWeb hang on a graphic and the force
quit/cancel shuffle got it going again. Are we experiencing some lower
level problem of Mac connecting to the WWW, are both of these programs
flawed in similar ways? Inquiring minds...blah, blah.

Joseph McIntyre
jos...@sonic.net

jong

Feb 10, 1995, 4:35:01 AM2/10/95
mike flugennock (sin...@clark.net) wrote:

: Miguel Cruz (m...@netcom.com) wrote:
: : In article <j-norstad-200...@lucky103.acns.nwu.edu>,
: : John Norstad <j-no...@nwu.edu> wrote:
: : >Interesting. It's the opposite for me. I have lots of crashes and hangs
: : >with Netscape 1.0N with 7.5 (especially with SLIP), but I don't have any
: : >problems with MacWeb 1.00A3!

: : Likewise. I'm using a 6100 w/7.5 and I notice that Netscape will lock up

[DELETO ABOUT FORCE-QUIT]
: : This happens when I'm not using any non-Apple stuff other than InterSLIP.

: First of all, imho, you should get rid of Netscape 1.0N. I don't know
: what the hell they did with it; when I saw how slick b0.96 was, I was on

[DELETO ABOUT NETSCAPE 1.0]

: Second, also imho, try using MacPPP instead of InterSLIP. I

: re-re-re-installed InterSLIP three times, _exactly_ according to the

[DELETO ABOUT INTERSLIP/MACPPP]

: From where I am, behind a Mac IIsi/17mb ram/340mbhd/MacTCP 2.0.4, MacPPP

: and Netscape b0.96 have been damn' near unbeatable.

That's kinda funny, from where I am, behind a PMac7100/20mb ram/2gighd/
mactcp2.0.4, netscape has done wonders for me. The
version that didn't work, ironiclly, was b0.96. It would not stay up for
more than two minutes. Almost made me think about going back to
<shudder> Mosaic.
-j-

* j o n g *
* Note: * *
* Avoid high humidity and store * ind0...@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu *
* at a temperature between * *
* -20。(-4;) and 40。(104;) * jong's page o' perversity: *
* * http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~jg7229 *
* O p e n S y s t e m s W i l l P r e v a i l !! *

V. Auld

Feb 15, 1995, 2:24:08 PM2/15/95
In article <russell-1402...@russell.worldweb.net>,
rus...@worldweb.net (Russell Rosenblum) wrote:

> In article <3hfc05$2...@news.cc.ucf.edu>, ind0...@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu

> (jong) wrote:
>

> > : From where I am, behind a Mac IIsi/17mb ram/340mbhd/MacTCP 2.0.4, MacPPP
> > : and Netscape b0.96 have been damn' near unbeatable.
> >
> > That's kinda funny, from where I am, behind a PMac7100/20mb
> ram/2gighd/
> > mactcp2.0.4, netscape has done wonders for me. The
> > version that didn't work, ironiclly, was b0.96. It would not stay up for
> > more than two minutes. Almost made me think about going back to
> > <shudder> Mosaic.
> > -j-
>

> I have a pm7100 48 ram/1 gig. Mactcp 2.0.6 and Netscape 1.0 no problems.
> .96 crashed constantly. It also froze my system.

I also have a PPC 7100 (not nearly as high powered though). I've got
MacTCP 2.0.6 and have tried Netscape 1.0, MacWeb and Mosaic (latest
versions). I have found that all will crash and freeze the system to
varying degrees. Netscape appears to crash less than the other two but is
pretty certain to go at least one out of three tries. It's not a memory
problem as I have boosted the allotted memory. I think is it is a SLIP
problem and there isn't a lot to do about that (haven't tried a PPP
connection yet; maybe that's the next step).

--
V. Auld
Dept. Zoology

Joe Ragosta

Feb 15, 1995, 5:24:24 PM2/15/95
In article <russell-1402...@russell.worldweb.net>,
rus...@worldweb.net (Russell Rosenblum) wrote:

> In article <3hfc05$2...@news.cc.ucf.edu>, ind0...@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu
> (jong) wrote:
>

> > : From where I am, behind a Mac IIsi/17mb ram/340mbhd/MacTCP 2.0.4, MacPPP

> > : and Netscape b0.96 have been damn' near unbeatable.
> >

> > That's kinda funny, from where I am, behind a PMac7100/20mb
> ram/2gighd/
> > mactcp2.0.4, netscape has done wonders for me. The
> > version that didn't work, ironiclly, was b0.96. It would not stay up for
> > more than two minutes. Almost made me think about going back to
> > <shudder> Mosaic.
> > -j-
>

> I have a pm7100 48 ram/1 gig. Mactcp 2.0.6 and Netscape 1.0 no problems.
> .96 crashed constantly. It also froze my system.

PM 6100 24/540 Netscape crashed regulary. I'm now using MacWeb with no problems.

--
Regards,
Joe Ragosta

100% Chemical -- and proud of it.

Microsoft Network is prohibited from redistributing this work in any form, in whole or in part. Copyright, Joseph Ragosta, 1995

License to distribute this post is available to Microsoft for $1000. Posting without permission constitutes an agreement to these terms.

John Rethorst

Feb 16, 1995, 10:13:03 AM2/16/95
In article <docjoe-1502...@ip243.wilmington.de.interramp.com>,
doc...@interramp.com (Joe Ragosta) wrote:

> Microsoft Network is prohibited from redistributing this work in any
form, in whole or in part. Copyright, Joseph Ragosta, 1995

> License to distribute this post is available to Microsoft for $1000.
Posting without permission constitutes an agreement to these terms.

I love it.

John R.

Rich Love

Feb 16, 1995, 6:40:54 PM2/16/95

>I also have a PPC 7100 (not nearly as high powered though). I've got
>MacTCP 2.0.6 and have tried Netscape 1.0, MacWeb and Mosaic (latest
>versions). I have found that all will crash and freeze the system to
>varying degrees. Netscape appears to crash less than the other two but is
>pretty certain to go at least one out of three tries. It's not a memory
>problem as I have boosted the allotted memory. I think is it is a SLIP
>problem and there isn't a lot to do about that (haven't tried a PPP
>connection yet; maybe that's the next step).
>
>--

According to the Netscape authors, it is a SLIP related problem. However, I
use SLIP with email and news readers that do NOT hang. Netscape said they
are going to try to fix this problem with release 1.1 (which is not
available yet).

Rich Love - Carnation Software, Inc.
Terminal emulation for Macintosh.
Visit our home page at:
ftp://server.netcom.com/pub/ca/carnation/HT.Carn.Home.html

Russell Rosenblum

Feb 18, 1995, 2:06:09 PM2/18/95
In article <auld-15029...@port38.annex2.net.ubc.ca>,
au...@bcu.ubc.ca (V. Auld) wrote:

> > I have a pm7100 48 ram/1 gig. Mactcp 2.0.6 and Netscape 1.0 no problems.
> > .96 crashed constantly. It also froze my system.
>

> I also have a PPC 7100 (not nearly as high powered though). I've got
> MacTCP 2.0.6 and have tried Netscape 1.0, MacWeb and Mosaic (latest
> versions). I have found that all will crash and freeze the system to
> varying degrees. Netscape appears to crash less than the other two but is
> pretty certain to go at least one out of three tries. It's not a memory
> problem as I have boosted the allotted memory. I think is it is a SLIP
> problem and there isn't a lot to do about that (haven't tried a PPP
> connection yet; maybe that's the next step).
>
> --
> V. Auld
> Dept. Zoology
> U.B.C.

You are probably right, I am running over ethernet with no problems. the
only difference appears to be slip, and i know a number of people having a
similar problem with slip.

--
Russell Rosenblum

Roy Flanders

Feb 19, 1995, 10:23:08 AM2/19/95
In article <marvinlv-180...@128.181.7.93> Marvin LaVoie,
marv...@tekadm1.cse.tek.com writes:
>The only activity is the mouse pointer will move. If this happens does
>anyone know any
>alternative other than unplugging the mac? I hate to do it but haven't
found
>another way.

Have you tried a forced quit? {Option-Command-Esc.}

Roy Flanders

Walter Ian Kaye

Feb 19, 1995, 11:01:07 AM2/19/95
Well I've got MacTCP 2.0.6, MacPPP 2.0.1, and a 6100 24/540 running 7.5.
Mosaic 2.00a17.PPC crapped out on me (went into permanent beachball mode)
while trying to retrieve a graphic (hypertext) and I had to force-quit.
Fired up Netscape 1.0N, and it's working fine (though I haven't tried that
same site/graphic with Netscape yet! LOL).

I recently heard that MacPPP isn't fully compatible with 7.5, and that one
should get InterPPP from Intercon. Now if I could just find their address
(guess I could just try something logical like intercon.com and see if it
exists...)

--
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
# Walter Ian Kaye: (602) 942-6390 FoxPro/Excel Programmer; Guitarist #

Marvin LaVoie

Feb 19, 1995, 1:46:29 AM2/19/95
In article <russell-1802...@russell.worldweb.net>,
rus...@worldweb.net (Russell Rosenblum) wrote:

> You are probably right, I am running over ethernet with no problems. the
> only difference appears to be slip, and i know a number of people having a
> similar problem with slip.

I have mactcp 2.0.6, 7.5 and ARA 1.0. No SLIP. I use newswatcher without
incident but have both netscape 1.0 and Mosaic 2 alpha 17 hang the mac.

Peter A. Bretz

Feb 19, 1995, 1:06:29 PM2/19/95
In article <3i7nos$g...@remus.ultranet.com>, Roy Flanders
<flan...@probuyer.com> wrote:

And respond with "Cancel". Netscape goes back to work with no loss!

--
Peter A. Bretz Department of Radio-Television-Film
Technical Staff Assistant V The University of Texas at Austin

Ian Orchard

Feb 20, 1995, 12:14:01 AM2/20/95

[beep]

> Regards,
> Joe Ragosta
> doc...@interramp.com
>
> 100% Chemical -- and proud of it.
>
> Microsoft Network is prohibited from redistributing this work in any
form, in whole or in part. Copyright, Joseph Ragosta, 1995

> License to distribute this post is available to Microsoft for $1000.
Posting without permission constitutes an agreement to these terms.

Oh yeah, who you gonna find to help you sue MicroSoft when they do use it? ;^)

--
Keep in touch......Ian O

My ambition in Life is to build something that will Really LAST!
At least until I've finished building it.....

Patrick Hoepfner

Feb 21, 1995, 4:16:44 PM2/21/95
In article <boo-190295...@ip030.phx.primenet.com>, b...@primenet.com
(Walter Ian Kaye) wrote:

> I recently heard that MacPPP isn't fully compatible with 7.5, and that one
> should get InterPPP from Intercon.

This isn't true! I use MacPPP 2.0.1 with System 7.5 and MacTCP 2.0.6 each
and every day with no problem. And I have tried just about every client
out there. Who ever you heard this from was blowing smoke...

FYI: The InterCon stuff can be found at the following site:

ftp://ftp.intercon.com/intercon/