FUNLIB Overview

JGM

Dec 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/11/98
Overview of FUNLIB

FUNLIB aka GAMES, STARBASE, TONUF, FUN&GAMES, F&G, PICTURE, et. al.,
is a games library for the System/3, S/32, S/34, and S/36. Reputedly
there is a S/38 FUNLIB application which has been ported to OS/400.

Size: 1.0 to 10.0 Megabytes
# of Programs: 20 to 100
Source: No/Yes
Language: RPG I/RPG II/Assembler

FUNLIB contains a number of hacks or "novelty" programs. STDEMO shows
a real-time memory consumption chart. CDEMO is used to showcase the
fancy 5251 - a 1,920 character, 12", 24 x 80 monochrome monitor that
once sold for $2,000 plus!

Many "simulation" programs are there.. classic programs that you would
read about or even find BASIC source code for in 1970s computer
literature like "101 Computer Games".

Star Trek (2 versions), Blackjack, Lunar Lander (2 versions), Horse
Racing, Hangman, Othello, Tic-Tac-Toe, and Backgammon. Also,
"Dial-A-Sentence", "Coffee", and "Computer Psychiatrist" (aka Eliza)
are found. Cube/34 is a Rubik's Cube knock-off. Versions of
Battleship, Life, and Golf are there.

The most interesting parts of FUNLIB to me are the pictures - amazing
1970s ASCII art stuff. Spock, Lincoln, Mona Lisa, even John Dean.
The LOVEIS program lets you caption the famous boy and girl. Snoopy
and the Peanuts gang are there. You can print calendars and an
assortment of Christmas banners, plus regular oversized word banners
as was the "in" thing circa 1979.

I was pleased to fix up my collection by adding a game
(Concentration), a rudimentary word processor (MWORD), an e-mail
system, a chat program, more calendar programs and many others, but I
can't help but wonder what everyone else did.

Tell me about your experiences with FUNLIB or with your local
equivalent.

Mcsinc

Dec 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/11/98
Is it still available?

chris

AJHPayne2

Dec 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/11/98

I had forgotten about the pictures in FUNLIB - some of them were very clever -
the pinups, snoopy etc.
One of my clients with a spanking new S/34 in 1980 printed out the Santa,
Sleigh & Reindeer print - about 6 pages long or longer as I recall, colored it
and used it as decoration in the computer room for Christmas.
Pre-dating S/34 etc, I used to hear stories of mainframe programs(360, System/3
etc or older) that would print characters on a line printer to play a tune - I
think the William Tell overture was a favorite.
Seems amazing in these days of hi-res graphics and 3D sound cards - those were
the days.......
----------
The Poddys Directory - www.poddys.com
The Most Unique Directory On The Web