DAK BSR Mediamaster

Kevin Dangoor

Sep 21, 1992, 6:23:56 PM9/21/92
I just read an announcement for DAK's new BSR Mediamaster sound board.
DAK is claiming that the board is comparable to the Turtle Beach Multisound
and the Roland Sound Canvas. It uses wavetable synthesis (like the
aforementioned cards and the Gravis Ultrasound) plus has 16-bit 44.1kHz
sampling capability. The price is $199. Soundblaster and Ad Lib compatibility
is another $49.90. MIDI is also an addition $49.90. The Mediamaster
comes with 384K of RAM.
The announcement also said that though the company is in Chapter 11, they
should be out of bankruptcy protection by first quarter 1993. They were
forced into Chapter 11 when a bank pulled their $18 million credit line.

Also, Microsoft announced their sound package today. The announcement
downplayed the hardware (I didn't see ANY specs) and instead talked about
the software's ability to attach sound to files and support limited voice
recognition (such as being able to say "boldface" or "indent" in Word). The
package (including hardware) is $299, or $349 bundled with Windows 3.1.

...Kev

--
Kevin (Tazzzzz) Dangoor \
University of Michigan / You ever wonder?

*MaintainerMisgNet*

Sep 22, 1992, 5:02:51 PM9/22/92
In article <1992Sep21....@zip.eecs.umich.edu>,

taz...@quip.eecs.umich.edu (Kevin Dangoor) says:

>I just read an announcement for DAK's new BSR Mediamaster sound board.
>DAK is claiming that the board is comparable to the Turtle Beach Multisound
>and the Roland Sound Canvas. It uses wavetable synthesis (like the
>aforementioned cards and the Gravis Ultrasound) plus has 16-bit 44.1kHz
>sampling capability. The price is $199. Soundblaster and Ad Lib compatibility
>is another $49.90. MIDI is also an addition $49.90. The Mediamaster
>comes with 384K of RAM.

Hmm, I thought DAK went out of business. ?? Can anyone confirm in this ?

-Azmi Hashim

Mark Harrison

Sep 22, 1992, 6:00:43 PM9/22/92

No. They are still in business. I just got some junk mail from them last
week.

Mark Harrison | "We are the Priests, of the Temples of Syrinx
harr...@sun.lclark.edu | Our great computers fill the hallowed halls."
-- Me | -- Rush

Kevin Dangoor

Sep 22, 1992, 9:13:50 PM9/22/92
In article <1992Sep22....@lclark.edu> harr...@lclark.edu (Mark Harrison) writes:
>In article <92266.170...@psuvm.psu.edu> AXH...@psuvm.psu.edu (*MaintainerMisgNet*) writes:
>>In article <1992Sep21....@zip.eecs.umich.edu>,
>>taz...@quip.eecs.umich.edu (Kevin Dangoor) says:
>>>
>>>I just read an announcement for DAK's new BSR Mediamaster sound board.
>>>DAK is claiming that the board is comparable to the Turtle Beach Multisound
>>>and the Roland Sound Canvas. It uses wavetable synthesis (like the
>>>aforementioned cards and the Gravis Ultrasound) plus has 16-bit 44.1kHz
>>>sampling capability. The price is $199. Soundblaster and Ad Lib compatibility
>>>is another $49.90. MIDI is also an addition $49.90. The Mediamaster
>>>comes with 384K of RAM.
>>
>>Hmm, I thought DAK went out of business. ?? Can anyone confirm in this ?
>
>No. They are still in business. I just got some junk mail from them last
>week.

Obviously running a business like DAK where an inventory is necessary can
get expensive. The story appears to be that a bank with whom DAK had an
$18 million credit line decided to collect (I don't know why). Anyhow,
DAK doesn't leave that kind of cash lying around, so they had to declare
Chapter 11 to get the bank off their backs. Supposedly, everything will be
back to normal early next year.

kevin.laux

Sep 23, 1992, 12:37:46 PM9/23/92

DAK is in *bankrupcy*, not out of business. Seems a bank promised them
a large credit, DAK expanded, then the bank backed out of the deal. So DAK
filed for bankrupcy to get protection from their creditors while they work this
out.

R. Kevin Laux Email: rk...@hound.att.com
AT&T Bell Labs Voice: (908) 949-1160
Holmdel, NJ 07733 Fax: (908) 949-0959

David Matiskella

Sep 23, 1992, 11:00:59 PM9/23/92
> : Holmdel, NJ 07733 Fax: (908) 949-0959
>
> --
> In the latest catalog from DAK, Drew talks about the need to raise his cash
> flow, and is offering as an example the Magic(?) keyboard with AI tutorial
> software for $199. The cheapest I've seen it before was over $300, and
> it's typically $400!
>
> NAME: Jim Hart
> INTERNET: ha...@donald.etdesg.TRW.COM
> I'd rather be LANDSAILING!
Does anyone have any infromation about this Media Master? Is it sound
blaster compatible? Who makes it?

James A. Hart

Sep 23, 1992, 8:46:15 PM9/23/92