Sound in DOS games with a laptop???

Jarno Kaarinen

Aug 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/25/00
Hello

I have a Compaq Armada M700 laptop running Win95. Is there any way to
get sound support in DOS games with this laptop?

I am not quite sure what soundchip it has, but in the control
panel/system/device manager it mentions "ESS" and also "Maestro DOS
Games/FM Devices". I'd expect the latter to be some kind of DOS sound
emulation, yet no DOS games recognize this soundchip. I figure it is
because they expect to find an ISA card.

Is there any way to get DOS sound support? How have other laptop users
managed in that? Is there any utility for Win9x that e.g. emulates
SB16 with any DirectSound soundcard? NT4 and Win2000 have this kind of
utility called SoundFX NT, and with it I was able to get music and
sound effects from many DOS games when I was running Win NT4. But I
don't think it works in Win9x.

Thanks for any input.

IanGale99

Aug 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/25/00
Are you trying to play DOS games in Windows or in pure DOS??

Im having the same problem, but on my desktop, because my soundcard is an Intel
AC97 intergrated with motherboard, which I presume yours is, intergrated that
is, not that exact model.

To get DOS sound in Windows add the following to your autoexec.bat file:

set blaster=a220 i5 d1 t4

This *should* enable you to get SB sound in Windows for DOS in a DOS window.
As for pure DOS, I dont know im afraid, but you could try the same again,
adding it to the autoexec.bat of your boot disk.

Another option is to have a look in your BIOS settings when the machine boots.
On my laptop it shows what setting the soundcard uses (the A220 i5 d1 t4
gumph).

Let me know how you get on, and if you do find any SB emulation type software
anywhere please mail me :)

Ian

Jarno Kaarinen

Aug 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/25/00
iang...@aol.com (IanGale99) wrote:

>Are you trying to play DOS games in Windows or in pure DOS??

Windows.

>Im having the same problem, but on my desktop, because my soundcard is an Intel
>AC97 intergrated with motherboard, which I presume yours is, intergrated that
>is, not that exact model.
>
>To get DOS sound in Windows add the following to your autoexec.bat file:
>
>set blaster=a220 i5 d1 t4

I have that, but still no DOS game sees the "card", whether I use
autoconfig, or try to select SB, SB Pro, SB16 or ESS. I thought this
must be because the DOS installers are looking for an ISA card, and
for some reason the DOS sound emulation isn't quite working right on
this laptop (if at all).

>Let me know how you get on, and if you do find any SB emulation type software
>anywhere please mail me :)

SoundFX NT worked surprisingly well in WinNT4 and supports practically
all DirectSound sound cards. I'd love to have a similar utility for
Win9x.

Ross Ridge

Aug 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/25/00

"Jarno Kaarinen" <ja...@remotel.com> wrote:
> Is there any utility for Win9x that e.g. emulates
> SB16 with any DirectSound soundcard? NT4 and Win2000 have this kind of
> utility called SoundFX NT, and with it I was able to get music and
> sound effects from many DOS games when I was running Win NT4. But I
> don't think it works in Win9x.

I don't think there's anything like that for Win9x. Well, there is
something, there's a pair of standard Microsoft WDM drivers that ship with
Windows 98 or later called sbemul.sys and swmidi.sys. They provide SB DAC
and MPU-401 MIDI (but not Adlib FM) emulation for games running in MS-DOS
boxes. They only work with WDM audio drivers hower, and are (or should be_
automatically installed when a WDM audio driver that needs them is
installed. Basically they're there so things like USB speakers have some
sort of MS-DOS compatibility. Unless you're using WDM drivers for your
device, I think your stuck with just figuring out how properly enable DOS
box SB emulation for your driver and/or how to get your MS-DOS games to
detect it.

Ross Ridge

Pascal Thevenier

Aug 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/26/00
You will have sound in DOS game if they can be launch under Windows. Don't
know for your sound card but Maestro 2 can do that. I plus some old game
that run from Windows 98 with sound (from some need to run in SB mono
mode!). Win98 is better then Win95 for sound support in dos-box mode.
Don't try in true dos mode.

A bientôt,

Pascal Thevenier
http://www.tt-hardware.com