Creative Replys: 3D Blaster VLB

high...@mnsi.net

Dec 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/6/96

All,

Here's the response I've gotten so far from Creative
regarding the 2MB update and Direct-X drivers:

James

Note: I make no claims as to the validity of the following
as I am just the messenger!!

Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 11:24:19 -0800
From: Lisa Schmidt <lsch...@creativelabs.com>
To: high...@MNSi.Net
Subject: (no subject)

James,

I'm forwarding this response to your question in case no one responded
with an answer.

1. On D3D - we will be releasing a driver in the next month or so,
probably will need the extra 2 Mb for performance.

2. On exp. mmy for the VLB, you can order from customer service and
it is for $49.95 for 2 Meg.

As far as RenderWare, BRender & 3DR are concerned:

I've been told that the drivers that came with the card are
essentially obsolete and probably won't work on any new titles
as the API's were updated after the release and the company's
have been uninterested in writing drivers for the card.

3DR may get an update as its source code is free, but
I am still finding out more info!!!

As far as I know if Creative is contracting or updating
the other drivers for the soon to come Permedia/Falcon card...
it is similar to the VLB chip enough that except for a few extra
bells and whistles and dealing with the 2MB DRAM/2MB VRAM and the
VLB the drivers should be almost the same!

But I'm not certain if they will take/waste (depends how you
look at it) the time/money to support these older DOS API's on their
new card.

I will update soon!!

James