Anyone, PTI-255W Driver Source or Contact, Please

Alex Artigas

Feb 14, 1995, 4:38:49 PM2/14/95

There apparently are three of us who have this wonderful board and can't
find an ftp, BBS, or other source of contact for new drivers. Does anyone have
a clue? Maybe some information on Tekram?

Right now it appears that Christopher Reimer is the owner of the most
recent version 1.21 (1/25/94) of WBIDE.EXE in the group. However, we all have
the same WWIDE310.386 version 1.0 (10/21/93).

By the way Chris, can you run your board under windows 32 bit mode without
problems in MSWORD?

Thanks -- Alex

Lukman, Paulus K.

Feb 17, 1995, 6:19:21 AM2/17/95
In <3hr7t9$r...@crchh348.bnr.ca> art...@bnr.ca writes:

Eh...make that four of...US! <g> Tekram, really? I've always
thought PTI stands for Promise Technology Inc. or something :)
How'd you get the DOS WBIDE.EXE to work anyway, just loaded it
up?

Alex Artigas

Feb 20, 1995, 11:29:49 AM2/20/95

>>In <3i20np$s...@masala.cc.uh.edu> (Lukman, Paulus K.) writes:

Deleted PTI reference.

>Eh...make that four of...US! <g> Tekram, really? I've always
>thought PTI stands for Promise Technology Inc. or something :)
>How'd you get the DOS WBIDE.EXE to work anyway, just loaded it
>up?

PTI stands for - I don't know (Proprietary Tough Info), your probably right.
That is what I am trying to find out, so that I can attempt to locate them.
However, they make the 255 VLB Ide-I/O board. Don't know how they are affiliated
with the software drivers, but Tekram is the company that makes the windows driver
that uses the Winbond chip on the board. This means that Tekram or PTI may have
the solution or at least the point of contact for the problems with Windows 32 bit
mode problems (crashes in MSWord and some CDROMs, does run in Windows desktop).

Still looking for this information.

As for the wbide310.386 driver, check your readme file for installation and switch
settings. I didn't have any problems with this one. Can't remember off the top
of my head exactly what the config.sys and autoexec.bat lines were.

I'll check tonight.

Good Luck -- Alex

Tatu [Ebonite-A] J. Lund

Feb 20, 1995, 6:14:35 AM2/20/95
Alex Artigas (art...@bnr.ca) wrote:

> There apparently are three of us who have this wonderful board and can't
> find an ftp, BBS, or other source of contact for new drivers. Does anyone have
> a clue? Maybe some information on Tekram?

One driver found on theri BBS is on:
ftp.tuug.utu.fi:/pub/pc/drivers/disk/ide_ata

If somebody have other drivers (also for other brands) please
enlarge our collection.

Mirkka I Soininen

Feb 25, 1995, 11:33:07 PM2/25/95
Alex Artigas (art...@bnr.ca) wrote:

: There apparently are three of us who have this wonderful board and can't

: Thanks -- Alex

I just uploaded file WBIDE126.ZIP to ftp.tuug.utu.fi

Javier Vizcaino

Mar 1, 1995, 9:36:47 AM3/1/95
Tatu [Ebonite-A] J. Lund (tatu...@utu.fi) wrote:
: Alex Artigas (art...@bnr.ca) wrote:

Hi.
I think you all refer to a VESA board with 2 IDE/1 floppy/1 game/2 serial
/1 parallel, with (mostly) Winbond chips. I have worked with two of these: one
with Winbond 83757, 83758 and 83759, and other with CT9000 and Winbond 83757
and 83758. I found the following problems:
-The game port is a half one: two buttons and two axes (full have four
buttons and four axles). Most game ports are so, but this one presents the
non-existent buttons pressed, so, for example, you can't play F1GP, which, when
calibrating joysticks, waits till all four buttons are released.
-I have tried WBIDE.EXE (v. 1.01) and it always complaints about the
second IDE. It does not handle disks there. In fact, I use this board and this
driver for my first two disks, and use a shareware driver for a third disk on
the second IDE.
WWIDE310.386 is ok.

I downloaded pti-255w.zip from morgoth.tuug.utu.fi, at /pub/pc/drivers/
disk/ide-data, unzipped, did "strings" on WBIDE.EXE, and got the following:

NO NAME
32 bit IDE device driver for 32 bit local bus
(C)Copyright 1993 Tekram technology, CO., Ltd..
VWPQRU
w tY
]ZY__^
o.*]
$p<Pt
<Pt
@ABG`abgFf&
Partition greater than 32M for DOS version below 4.0
Sector reading error during build BPB!
<$t
vNo disk found in the controller!
Tekram Enhanced DOS IDE driver. Version 1.01
For Winbond W83759 IDE Accelerator
(C)Copyright 1993, Tekram Technology Co., Ltd. All Rights Reserved
No disk on secondary port or No partion found!
Logical disk device driver not installed!
Device driver already installed!
No Device Driver Found!
Put this command in config.sys to install driver:
Device=WBIDE.EXE [options]
Execute this command in DOS prompt to
1. View the installed driver configuration
2. Modify drive access characteristic
Options ==>
/? : Print this message
/CM : Drive C multiple sector access
/CS : Drive C single sector access
/DM : Drive D multiple sector access
/DS : Drive D single sector access
/EM : Drive E multiple sector access
/ES : Drive E single sector access
/FM : Drive F multiple sector access
/FS : Drive F single sector access
/P : Scan primary only ( port 1FX )
/S : Scan secondary only ( port 17X )
Drive C = 1FX master
Drive D = 1FX slave
Drive E = 17X master
Drive F = 17X slave
!NF&
Invalid option specified in command line!
</t <
32 bit VL-BUS IO capability
Disk BIOS Installed ==>
Drive 0 (80h) : IO=1FX C/H/S=
sectors per IRQ
Logical Drive Installed ==>
Drive F : partition of drive 0 (80h),
, unformatted
1234
Device driver not installed

It seems to me version 1.01. Where the hell is version 1.21?
(I downloaded on March 1, 95 at 15:30 moreless).
Thanks for any help. Sincerely,
Javier Vizcaino. jviz...@colibri.tid.es
Madrid, Spain. Fax: +34-1-759 53 85

Alex Artigas

Mar 3, 1995, 2:53:55 PM3/3/95

In <1127...@csp.ka.sub.org> Georg Trietsch writes:

>There is already version 1.26. WBIDE126.ZIP was uploaded to
>ftp.tuug.utu.fi

Appreciate the input, however, I checked and couldn't find it. Maybe I'm looking
in wrong path, can you verify? The path I checked was:
/pub/pc/drivers/disk/ide_ata.

Also, has anyone located a newer version than wwide310.386 (10/21/93)?

Thanks -- Alex

Sam Bond

Mar 4, 1995, 11:18:01 AM3/4/95
In article <3j7s4j$6...@crchh348.bnr.ca>

art...@bnr.ca (Alex Artigas) writes:

> In <1127...@csp.ka.sub.org> Georg Trietsch writes:
>
> >There is already version 1.26. WBIDE126.ZIP was uploaded to
> >ftp.tuug.utu.fi
>
> Appreciate the input, however, I checked and couldn't find it. Maybe I'm looking
> in wrong path, can you verify? The path I checked was:
> /pub/pc/drivers/disk/ide_ata.

I also couldn't find it. None of the archie sites I tried could either.
I'm trying to use 1.24 but it locks solid on my second drive.

Sam
--
601

Georg Trietsch

Mar 3, 1995, 4:39:17 AM3/3/95
>Tatu [Ebonite-A] J. Lund (tatu...@utu.fi) wrote:

[lot of stuff about WBIDE deleted]

> It seems to me version 1.01. Where the hell is version 1.21?
> (I downloaded on March 1, 95 at 15:30 moreless).
> Thanks for any help. Sincerely,
> Javier Vizcaino. jviz...@colibri.tid.es
> Madrid, Spain. Fax: +34-1-759 53 85

There is already version 1.26. WBIDE126.ZIP was uploaded to
ftp.tuug.utu.fi
by msoi...@cc.Helsinki.FI.

* ____ ___ ___ * Dipl.-Inform. G.Trietsch * tr...@csp.ka.sub.org *
* / /__/ / / _ * Karlsruhe (Germany) * tr...@dkatrig.ka.sub.org *
* / / \ / /__/ * +49 721 91205-31 (Voice) ***************************
* * +49 721 29249 (FAX) * +standard disclaimers *

Ethel Kendrick

Mar 5, 1995, 3:38:03 PM3/5/95
In article <3j20pv$q...@tid.tid.es>,

Where I work we used to sell these. The latest driver disk I saw was
version 1.2 (I have it in front of me)...

On a related note, I came across a controller that I think is the PTI card
but cannot be sure. It has the aforementioned 83757 and 83758 but has
a SIS 83c611 instead of a 83759 or whatever. No identifying marks as
to manufacturer of the card itself save for
VL-IDE (c) 1993.

It has the 2 hdd/1 fdd/2 ser/1 par/1 game controllers.

We also used to sell Vision controllers and this may also be one of those.

I lost the docs for it and if anyone has docs for either PTI or Vision
IDE VLB cards (with two IDE controllers), please respond.

Tatu [Ebonite-A] J. Lund

Mar 7, 1995, 5:46:35 AM3/7/95
Alex Artigas (art...@bnr.ca) wrote:

> In <1127...@csp.ka.sub.org> Georg Trietsch writes:

> >There is already version 1.26. WBIDE126.ZIP was uploaded to
> >ftp.tuug.utu.fi

> Appreciate the input, however, I checked and couldn't find it. Maybe I'm looking
> in wrong path, can you verify? The path I checked was:
> /pub/pc/drivers/disk/ide_ata.

It is now there. (The first try was corrupted, thats the reason for
little delay)

Jarkko Jormanainen

Mar 6, 1995, 3:26:49 PM3/6/95

Well, now the wbide126.zip can be found at ftp.tuug.utu.fi
in directory /pub/pc/drivers/disk/ide_ata/

It was 'lost' in the way to the correct place from the
incoming-directory ;)

Any comments and wishes & pointers to drivers are appreciated.
We'll try to gather as much drivers as possible (and our disks will hold).

ftp...@tuug.utu.fi, drv...@tuug.utu.fi
Jarkko Jormanainen Student of Computer Science
E-mail: jarj...@utu.fi University of Turku, Finland
j...@tuug.utu.fi SysAdmin, TUUG, Turku
http://www.tuug.utu.fi/~j/ tel. +358 50 555 6327

Alex Artigas

Mar 8, 1995, 3:07:10 PM3/8/95

For those whom may be interested in building a summary of PTI-255W information,
please contribute to the itemized lists below and re-post
(so we can consolidate the data in one post):

General Information
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. ftp.tuug.utu.fi:/pub/pc/drivers/disk/ide_ata has a wbide.exe 1.26 driver
available in the file WBIDE126.ZIP

STILL DON'T KNOW IF THERE IS AN UPDATE FOR WWIDE310.386 (10/21/96)

2. PTI-255W is configured with the following ports:
2 IDE/1 floppy/1game/2 serial/1 parallel

3. Two chipsets may be used depending on your board:
Winbond 83757, 83758 and 83759
or
Winbond 83757, 83758 and CT9000

Problems & Solutions
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. Game port only supports 2 buttons - state of non-existent buttons is pressed.

NO SOLUTION, HAVE PORT DISABLED, USE SOUND BOARD GAME PORT.

2. Hangups in some applications (for example, MSWord) when running in
Windows 32 bit mode.

I WOULD LIKE TO FIX THIS ONE, DON'T KNOW HOW YET.
MAYBE A NEW DRIVER? WOULD NEED TO BE WWIDE310.386?

I have a PTI-255W VL-Bus Super I/O Card with the three winbond chips. It
supports four ide (only tried one drive) and two floppy (have both 3.5 and 5.25).
Also have the User's Guide Version 1.00. Currently using wbide.exe 1.1 10/26/93
(haven't been able to download 1.26 yet) and wwide310.386 10/21/93 (looking for
the an update to this one).

Thanks -- Alex