Warcraft II demo?

eh...@usa.pipeline.com

Nov 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/13/95
Where is the Warcraft II demo? Is it even out yet?
Thanks

Eric

Clarence Pendleton

Nov 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/15/95
In article <486njb$7...@news1.usa.pipeline.com>, eh...@usa.pipeline.com() says:

>Where is the Warcraft II demo? Is it even out yet?
>Thanks

Not out yet. The full game is supposed to be out before Xmas, so I would
assume the same for the demo.

Clarence

Superstar

Nov 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/17/95
Clarence Pendleton (CPEN...@portland.caps.maine.edu) wrote:

: Clarence

--
on the contrary, i had a chance to speak to a spokesperson at blizzard
entertainment a couple of weeks ago regarding purchasing the shareware
version of warcraft II, and i was told that in all likelihood, they would
release the shareware version AFTER the actual full length version!! now
correct me if i am wrong, but isnt the entire purpose of shareware to give
prospective customers the opportunity to sample the software on a limited
basis to give them a feel for what the actual setting will be like, in
hopes they will be impressed with the product and buy it once released?
by releasing the demo after the fact, this entirely defeats the purpose
of the concept. IMHO, this is a very poor marketing strategy that someone
undertook. As far as i can see, any product that i ever purchased was on
the basis of shareware, games like doom, dark forces, ascendancy.
Without shareware promotion, word doesnt get out on a game until a few
people have had the opportunity to try the game out. just my opinion.
replys welcome and entirely appreciated.

Superstar

bir...@craft.camp.clarkson.edu
BIR...@draco.clarkson.edu

*"Your over-confidence is your weakness." *
*"Your faith in your friends is yours." *
*"It is pointless to resist, my son." *
* *
*Return of the Jedi, Death Star encounter of Luke, Palpatine, and Vader *

Anshu Prasad

Nov 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/17/95
Superstar (bir...@craft.camp.clarkson.edu) wrote:

[SNIP]
: i was told that in all likelihood, they would

: release the shareware version AFTER the actual full length version!!

[SNIP]
: by releasing the demo after the fact, this entirely defeats the purpose

: of the concept. IMHO, this is a very poor marketing strategy that someone
: undertook.

I think its probably a pretty good strategy, actually. Warcraft (the
original) has been out for some time with a considerable following.
In large part, Warcraft II builds on the original with better graphics,
better gameplay (fog of war), more unit types (sea & air). In some
ways, Warcraft serves as a demo for Warcraft II. We've got a decent
idea of what we're going to get.

So, when faced with the question of releasing a demo at the expense of
slipping the release date of the full version, it doesn't make sense to
do so. Initial sales will be brisk to all those fans of the original.
The shareware version, coming out shortly after the full version, will
then serve its purpose of initiating new players to the Warcraft games
and allow those unsure of the game a chance to try before they buy.

When looking at expected sales of the product in the two scenarios
(demo first vs demo later), it doesn't make sense not to release the
full version as soon as possible. The earlier they get to market, the
sooner they can start to generate revenue from the existing demand for
another Warcraft product. Leaving demand unsupplied does not make
good business sense.

Your arguments would, however, be applicable to a new game which did
not already have a following.

--
,> )\ `a_ Anshu Prasad _a' /(
( _ )/ /{_ ~~ Bell Northern Research Ltd. ~~ _}\ \( -

Kevin Hakanson

Nov 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/21/95
In article <48idgd$l...@library.erc.clarkson.edu>,
...some kept...some deleted...

>prospective customers the opportunity to sample the software on a limited
>basis to give them a feel for what the actual setting will be like, in
>hopes they will be impressed with the product and buy it once released?
>by releasing the demo after the fact, this entirely defeats the purpose
>of the concept. IMHO, this is a very poor marketing strategy that someone
>undertook. As far as i can see, any product that i ever purchased was on
>the basis of shareware, games like doom, dark forces, ascendancy.
>Without shareware promotion, word doesnt get out on a game until a few
>people have had the opportunity to try the game out.

>just my opinion. replys welcome and entirely appreciated.

I'll use myself as a case in point against what you think, but I don't
entirely disagree with you. I had been waiting for C&C for a LONG time
(as many had). I even downloaded the German "film trailer" like demo
(say cool). But because of the delay, I haven't even bought the game
yet. (DUNE II is in my top 3).

While reading the C&C threads, I heard a lot about Blizzard's Warcraft.
I had never got around to playing it, but I finally download the demo and
was addicted from minute one. Nice thing was, in my Warcraft "high", I
went right out to Egghead Software and bought the game.

Now, this doesn't mean having a demo out beforehand wouldn't help, but I
think it only helps to have them available after the release. It's
sometimes hard to remeber that not all PC Gamer are in tune with the
release dates, etc.

..and that's only my opinion, and I'll take critisism on everything but
my spelling. :)

kjh

--
Kevin Hakanson