"Civil War" - is it abso

GEORGE PAULEY

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
STEVEN BROWN on 06/21/95 said...

SB>I recently forked out for the latest Empire release Civil War. I
SB>kicked its butt on all dificulty levels as both sides within 2 days.
SB>What a waste of money. I'm sure as a 2 (human) player game it has
SB>potential but against the computer it is a complete waste of time.

SB>If you're thinking of buying it then I would think twice and spend
SB>your money on something decent like Panzer General or TacOps.

I was just about to write you a sarcastic letter about this when I
realized that you weren't talking about the same Civil War game that I
was. So, if I might suggest a little shareware gem that I found
recently called _EGA_Civil_War_ (for $10) and _VGA_Civil_War_ (for $15).
The EGA one is shareware, and comes completely playable (if your that
sort).
The graphics are OK, and the game is easy to play, but the scenarios
are tough! The games also come with an easy to use scenario editor for
rolling your own. (The docs also come with statistics, in game terms,
of most of the generals for both sides).
Also, the movement philosophy is unique. Instead of each piece moving
at different speed each turn, each piece only moves one hex on some
turns. Fast pieces like cavalry get to move more often, while slow
pieces like artilery hardly ever get to move (that's movement only, if
they're unlumbered, they can get to firing pretty fast.) This movement
philosophy (according to the designer) is more realistic and prevents
the situation where a cavalry unit suddenly moves half-way across the
board and attacks before it's opponent gets a chance to react.
The game has terrain modifiers, considers moral and fatigue, considers
the different abilities of generals to affect moral and fatigue,
considers line of sight, allows recruiting, training, movement by train,
and a whole lot of other things. Great game at twice the price. It can
be had (sorry, I don't know where to get the shareware version) by
writing to:

W.R. Hutsell
2021 Hutchinson Dr.
Kingsport, TN 37660

George Pauley
Ridgecrest Ca.
george...@ctbbs.sccsi.com
---
* CmpQwk #UNREG* UNREGISTERED EVALUATION COPY