Terror From the Deep Update Available

MicroProse Software

May 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/30/95
Attention all!

The Terror From the Deep update has been released on-line. The file is called
TFTDV2.ZIP, and can be found on the MicroProse FTP site in
/pub/mps-online/new-versions.

To update to the latest version of "X-COM:TERROR FROM THE DEEP", unzip the file to
the \MPS\TFTD Directory and type "UPDATE". Please read the README.1ST file included
in the update-- this includes a list of tweaks and adjustments.

Regards,

Tim
MicroProse On-Line Services

Visit our Web Page at http://www.microprose.com
Visit our FTP site at ftp.microprose.com

Russell Webb

May 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/30/95
In article <3qfqqh$9...@dub-news-svc-2.compuserve.com>,

MicroProse Software <76004...@compuserve.com> wrote:
>Attention all!
>
>The Terror From the Deep update has been released on-line. The file is called
>TFTDV2.ZIP, and can be found on the MicroProse FTP site in
>/pub/mps-online/new-versions.

This file has also shown up at:
http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/pub/MSDOS_UPLOADS/xcom2/tftdv2.zip

--
Russell Webb
rw...@panix.com

Kenny Yan

May 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/31/95
I've uploaded it to ftp.cdrom.com:/pub/dresden/incoming/tftdv2.zip.

--
Kenny Yan. ken...@bnr.ca
The above is not a BNR opinion/view/comment/press release.

'Fulcrum' PJ Ocampo

Jun 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/1/95

Pardon me, but what does the Terror from the Deep update do?

On Tue, 30 May 1995, MicroProse Software wrote:

> Attention all!
>
> The Terror From the Deep update has been released on-line. The file is called
> TFTDV2.ZIP, and can be found on the MicroProse FTP site in
> /pub/mps-online/new-versions.

'Fulcrum' PJ Ocampo

Jun 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/1/95

Oh yeah, and is there a CD version update also?

Brian D Hughes

Jun 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/1/95
What exactly does this update have to offer?

Sorry to disagree with the vast majority of "XCOM2 Bugs!!" posts, but I
haven't seen any fatal buginess yet, just quirky 'features'!

Brian

llertnac cire

Jun 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/2/95
'Fulcrum' PJ Ocampo <ful...@u.washington.edu> writes:

>Pardon me, but what does the Terror from the Deep update do?

>On Tue, 30 May 1995, MicroProse Software wrote:

>> Attention all!
>>
>> The Terror From the Deep update has been released on-line. The file is called
>> TFTDV2.ZIP, and can be found on the MicroProse FTP site in
>> /pub/mps-online/new-versions.

Here is the readme.1st file that came with the patch. The TFTDV2.ZIP does
include patches for both HD and CD versions.

Maybe it's just me, but my proximity grenades work sometimes and somtimes
the alien just runs right over them, even after applying the patch. I could
just picture one of my soldiers named Wilely C. running over to the grenade
and jumping up and down on it until...

-eric

NOTE: SPOILERS MAY FOLLOW...

-------------------

English readme
Vous trouverez le fichier Readme en francais plus loin dans ce document.
Die deutsche Readme-Datei finden Sie weiter hinten in diesem Dokument.

************** GAMEPLAY TWEAKS/PROBLEMS FIXED ***************

Gameplay

* Equipment left in the X-COM craft on linked missions is now
returned to base if you succeed in the second half of the linked
mission.

* Alien molecular control defence stats have been modified.

* Proximity grenades now retain their prime from a reload on a
tactical game.

* The 'funding' bug has been fixed so that there are no discrepancies
in the X-COM accounts at the end of each month.

* There were rare problems with panicked soldiers dropping weapons
in 'mid-water' - this has now been fixed.

* All craft automatically reload when you buy new ammunition.

* You now do not require a Deep One corpse in your inventory to
research aqua-plastics. However you still need to have
researched a Deep One corpse.

* One branch of the research tree has been modified. Whereas before
you needed ion accelerators, magnetic navigation and a
lobsterman navigator to be allowed to research magnetic ion
armour you now need to research ion armour, magnetic navigation
and ion accelerators.

* The Leviathon troop deployment bug has been fixed.

* A rare bug occurred which could kill live aliens on return
to base. This has now been fixed.

Memory

* Memory allocation has been improved to take greater advantage
of free conventional memory - the game will now be much less
likely to run out of memory on some machines.

Sound

* On rare occasions on some machines the game used to hang with a
'Cannot load COMMAND.COM: System halted' error - this has now been
fixed.

Misc.

* The 'Groundhog day' bug is now fixed.

* The crash bug associated with clicking both mouse buttons has now
been fixed.

ENSONIQ/GRAVIS CARDS & CD ROM ANIMATIONS

The CD-ROM animations cannot unfortunately be run on a sound card
which does not fully emulate a SoundBlaster (known examples are the
Ensoniq Soundscape 16 and the Gravis Ultrasound series). The 'slide
show' will play instead.

PROBLEMS WITH DAUGHTERBOARDS

The general midi sound selection from setup only supports true
MPU-401 MIDI interfaces (such as the Roland LAPC-1 and SCC-1).
Daughterboard MIDI devices do not fully comply with the above
standard and unfortunately therefore do not work. Instead select
FM music from the Terror From the Deep setup utility. Alternatively
select 8 bit soundblaster emulation and the general midi should work.

RECOVERING EQUIPMENT & LIVE/DEAD ALIENS FROM ALIEN BASE & ARTEFACT SITES

Although it is possible to successfully complete an alien base or artefact
site by destroying the Synonium device and returning to the entrance you
will not recover any alien artefacts, aliens (live/dead) or equipment
unless all aliens in the base have been incapacitated (equipment/aliens
carried by troops are not affected by this).

FREE MEMORY

you are experiencing any of the following problems then we recommend that
you strip out as many TSR's (such as SMARTDRV) from memory to increase
your free memory:-

Crashing between geoscape and tactical
Crashing out of tactical back to geoscape
Blue text appearing corrupting screen

If you are experiencing other difficulties then we recommend you still
try to maximise the amount of free memory available.

QEMM STEALTH MODE

We recommend disabling QEMM stealth mode when playing Terror From the Deep.

{{{{Note: The instructions come in a few different languages - deleted
for the sake of BW}}}}}}

Nai-Chi Lee

Jun 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/2/95
In article <3qn72d$j...@drum.msfc.nasa.gov>,

llertnac cire <a...@drum.msfc.nasa.gov> wrote:
>Maybe it's just me, but my proximity grenades work sometimes and somtimes
>the alien just runs right over them, even after applying the patch. I could
>just picture one of my soldiers named Wilely C. running over to the grenade
>and jumping up and down on it until...

KABOOM! (BEEP-BEEP ;-)

>* Equipment left in the X-COM craft on linked missions is now
> returned to base if you succeed in the second half of the linked
> mission.

Funny, I thought that's how it works right now. That is: equipment left *in*
your XCOM craft is recoverable if you kill all aliens in the second stage.
However, equipment left *outside* your craft is always lost.

>* The 'funding' bug has been fixed so that there are no discrepancies

^^^
Bravo MPS, for finally using the B-word instead of calling it "problem" or
"challange".

Since I have been poking fun at MPS lately, it is my obligation to give them
credit when credit is due. I like to thank MPS for releasing this patch so
quickly. In fact, based on the rate that game patches are coming along, I
predict that by 1997 we will receive game patches a few weeks *before* the
official release of new games.
;-)
--
Nai-Chi Lee, author of "Master of Evil UN-official FAQ"
(coming to a newsgroup near you in two weeks)

Anssi Saari

Jun 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/5/95
>* Alien molecular control defence stats have been modified.

Modified how? Bugs are harder to control now? By the way, what kind of troopers
are MC proof? I just tried to take an alien colony, the worst guy was 84
MC ability and he went berserk... Do I have to allow only people above 90?

>* Proximity grenades now retain their prime from a reload on a
> tactical game.

So now there's no way to get rid of a p-grenade that is inconveniently placed?
At least the save bug made it was possible to make it a dud... Assuming it's
really true that you can't explode a p-grenade with another grenade in TFTD,
I just believed the posts that claimed so.

>* You now do not require a Deep One corpse in your inventory to
> research aqua-plastics. However you still need to have
> researched a Deep One corpse.

How's about a fix that makes damned sure the player will see a Calcinite
during the game and thus be able to use the HTH weapons? The game is no
fun at all when you have to shoot Lobstermen three to four times with a
sonic cannon.

Also, the Coelcanth/Gauss is totally useless, as you usually get the
displacer/PWT at the same time and displacer/sonic soon after. Why would
you need to have the Manta to make a Coelcanth/Gauss anyway?

BTW, has anyone ever created a Hovertank/Laser for Xcom? Should work nicely
against Sectopods...

Anssi

Scott T Jones

Jun 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/5/95
In <3qfqqh$9...@dub-news-svc-2.compuserve.com>, 76004...@compuserve.com (MicroProse Software) writes:
>Attention all!
>
>The Terror From the Deep update has been released on-line. The file is called
>TFTDV2.ZIP, and can be found on the MicroProse FTP site in
>/pub/mps-online/new-versions.

XCOMUTIL 1.2, which supports the new TFTDV2 patch, is ready and
will be placed on wuarchive.wustl.edu as soon as I can get past
the 250 user limit. New versions of GEOSCAPE.EXE and OBPOS.DAT
are the reasons for the new version. However, I couldn't resist
making a few other enhancements.

Tim Brutton

Jun 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/6/95
Anssi...@lmf.ericsson.se (Anssi Saari) wrote:

[loads of complaints about the new patch for XCOM:TFTD]

*Sigh* I guess some people are just never satisfied....

--
Tim Brutton | To recieve a copy of my PGP 2.6
t...@arcady.demon.co.uk | key, send me an email with:

Jacques Guy

Jun 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/11/95
Bon, c'est tout de meme un peu mieux comme ca.
Still remains bringing in a bit of realism into
the game.

1. Rid the soldiers of their tunnel vision.
2. Fix the line of sight algorithm.
3. It ought to be sufficient to take over
a UFO, beg pardon, alien submarine without
having to bother about the aliens, outside
the UFO, er, submarine.
4. When all remaining live aliens are panicked,
the battle is over (the rest is nothing but
a mop-up operation), so, end of mission.
5. Nations deciding all to stop funding should
not bring the game to an end as long as
you are self-funding.

Enfin, moi, ce que j'en dis... autant, j'en suis
sur, souffler dans un violon.