Daggerfall3:Screenshots

Marcus J. Maunula

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
www.elderscrolls.com

So what does people think? It looks awesome but will it be as bugg ridden as
D2?

Marcus

Ykalon Dragon

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00

Once again, to make a Daggerfall 3 you have to have a Daggerfall 2
first. The series name is "The Elder Scrolls", the second game in that
series was Daggerfall.

Todd Howard

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
We've already started working on the patch, even though the game won't be
ready until late 2001. We figure that way we'll have it ready in time. We
also hope to release bug updates with brand new technologically unsurpassed
bugs that not only reformat your hard drive, but also dial up assassin orgs
to come get you.

Oh, and the actual game has some decent stuff in it too. :)

Todd Howard
Project Leader Morrowind

Marcus J. Maunula wrote in message
<5fYU4.4073$JL6....@nntpserver.swip.net>...

kwarlord

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00

Todd Howard <tho...@erols.com> wrote in message

> We've already started working on the patch, even though the game won't be
> ready until late 2001. We figure that way we'll have it ready in time. We
> also hope to release bug updates with brand new technologically
unsurpassed
> bugs that not only reformat your hard drive, but also dial up assassin
orgs
> to come get you.
>
> Oh, and the actual game has some decent stuff in it too. :)
>
> Todd Howard
> Project Leader Morrowind

...and how much crack did you take when you did that PC Gamer "interview"?
:-)

SlayRide

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00

"Todd Howard" <tho...@erols.com> wrote in message
> We've already started working on the patch, even though the game won't be
> ready until late 2001. We figure that way we'll have it ready in time. We
> also hope to release bug updates with brand new technologically
unsurpassed
> bugs that not only reformat your hard drive, but also dial up assassin
orgs
> to come get you.
>
> Oh, and the actual game has some decent stuff in it too. :)
>
> Todd Howard
> Project Leader Morrowind

While I understand the complexity in such a large game and storyline, all
i can say is you guys better test the hell out of it. I've given Bethesda
products several tries since Daggerfall and they were all buggy as hell.
Don't disapoint us again, or that may be it for Bethesda.

Bob Perez

May 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/19/00

Marcus J. Maunula <marc...@mbox301.swipnet.se> wrote in message

> www.elderscrolls.com
>
> So what does people think? It looks awesome but will it be as bugg ridden
as
> D2?

First there was the Elder Scrolls: Arena, and then Daggerfall, and now
there's Morrowwind on its way to us from Bethesda Bugworks. Oops, did I say
Bethesda and bug in the same sentence? Damn, did it again.

BP

Marcus J. Maunula

May 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/19/00
Sorry I was mislead by the forum title at cdmag.com :).

Marcus

Ykalon Dragon <yka...@softhome.net> skrev i
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:392463D8...@softhome.net...

> "Marcus J. Maunula" wrote:
> >
> > www.elderscrolls.com
> >
> > So what does people think? It looks awesome but will it be as bugg
ridden as
> > D2?

Oddjob

May 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/19/00
Bugs or no bugs it will be nice actually having an interesting and ambitious
CRPG to play for a change. Dissing a title before it even comes out might be
fun but it's not particularly helpful.

Bob Perez wrote:

> Marcus J. Maunula <marc...@mbox301.swipnet.se> wrote in message

> > www.elderscrolls.com
> >
> > So what does people think? It looks awesome but will it be as bugg ridden
> as
> > D2?

Dale Beaver

May 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/19/00
On Thu, 18 May 2000 23:11:48 -0400, "Todd Howard" <tho...@erols.com>
wrote:

>We've already started working on the patch, even though the game won't be
>ready until late 2001. We figure that way we'll have it ready in time. We
>also hope to release bug updates with brand new technologically unsurpassed
>bugs that not only reformat your hard drive, but also dial up assassin orgs
>to come get you.
>
>Oh, and the actual game has some decent stuff in it too. :)
>
>Todd Howard
>Project Leader Morrowind

Good one, Todd.

Question, though..... You took out the nekkid people? (pout).
With that screen resoulution, you could actually tell the difference.
Not a fan of the randomness of it in DF, but inthe appropriate places
like bath houses, brothels (if there are any) occasionally along a
riverbank near a small village, or on overworked slaves, it fits and
does help that ambience of 'real world' For that matter, elves in
general have always been held to not have all that much body modesty.
At least outside of Tolkien.

Hmm. Interesting coincidence, there. Morrowind, late 2001.
Fellowship of the Ring, Xmas, 2001..... >:)

If Peter Jackson pulls his opus off, there -could- be a
resurgence of fantasy gaming....couldn't there?

Marcus J. Maunula

May 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/19/00
Btw have you considered going 3rd person view? One of the screens looked
like it but I may be wrong.

Marcus

Todd Howard <tho...@erols.com> skrev i
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:8g2b9s$2g7$1...@bob.news.rcn.net...

> We've already started working on the patch, even though the game won't be
> ready until late 2001. We figure that way we'll have it ready in time. We
> also hope to release bug updates with brand new technologically
unsurpassed
> bugs that not only reformat your hard drive, but also dial up assassin
orgs
> to come get you.
>
> Oh, and the actual game has some decent stuff in it too. :)
>
> Todd Howard
> Project Leader Morrowind
>

> Marcus J. Maunula wrote in message
> <5fYU4.4073$JL6....@nntpserver.swip.net>...

> >www.elderscrolls.com
> >
> >So what does people think? It looks awesome but will it be as bugg ridden
> as
> >D2?
> >

> >Marcus

kwarlord

May 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/19/00

> Btw have you considered going 3rd person view? One of the screens looked
> like it but I may be wrong.
>
> Marcus

BOOO! KILL MARCUS!

;-)

Marcus J. Maunula

May 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/19/00
One of the screens made me wonder :). Actually what's wrong with 3rd person?
I think
it's a good compromise between 1st and Isometric. Let's see if Anachronox
makes it.

Marcus

kwarlord <kwar...@ShPoAtMmail.com> skrev i
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:8g3kar$dmh$1...@news.cmc.net...

Bob Perez

May 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/20/00

"Oddjob" <bruc...@mediaone.net> wrote in message

> Bugs or no bugs it will be nice actually having an interesting and
ambitious
> CRPG to play for a change. Dissing a title before it even comes out might
be
> fun but it's not particularly helpful.

Is there some reason you feel that comments about an upcoming title are
required to be "helpful"? I'm looking forward to Morrowwind just as much as
anyone else, but I'm not going to pretend that I'm not worried about the
company's reputation for buggy software. If Bethesda had a chance to hear
enough people complain about it, you know it might actually be "helpful",
don't you think?

BP

Oddjob

May 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/20/00
And they haven't noticed the volumes written on the topic?

You're right. That's Usenet. If suggesting helpful commentary is out of line I
do apologise.

My guess is that Bethesda is so keenly aware of the criticism already and that
one reason this title has taken and will take so long in development is to smash
all the bugs that crop up their pointy little heads. Optimisim? Sure. But why
not? It's a reasonable assumption and I'd like to see the title have a good
launch. Daggerfall for all its problems is unique in its ambitions but more
importantly to me Daggerfall was the only CRPG I've ever been really impressed
with as a longtime roleplayer.

Assuming, as optimists are wont to do, that Morrowind is close to as good as
Daggerfall was, I'd like to see Bethsoft make a dime here. There will be
plenty of folks beating the wardrums about bugs. It's Pavlovian where
Daggerfall is concerned. It'd be nice if more admirers of the title spoke up
as well.

Hope that explains my comments.

Brian

Todd Howard

May 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/22/00
Actually I like Arena better too (especially when compared to other games of
that year), though the character system in Daggerfall (skills equals level
advancement) is much better than XP.

As far as the other questions asked, all will be told. PC Gamer has a big
preview in the next issue (July cover I think...the one after the current
UO2 one). I'll be able to say a lot more after that.

Suffice to say our thoughts are:
Daggerfall character system. Excellent. Keep it.
Daggerfall world (cities, dungeons, NPCs). Needs serious attention. Rethink
it.
Daggerfall (and Arena) bugs. We can't have any. Who wants to waste 3 years
on a game that half the people can't enjoy because it's broken? If an
average game has 97 bugs, we can only have 2. Everyone is waiting to see if
it's buggy. Prove them wrong. Stop at nothing to make it clean.

- todd

tools_tech <spam_s...@else.com> wrote in message
> I also liked Arena better than Daggerfall. In fact, Arena is on my top 3
> list of favorite games. Here's a thought... what about re-releasing Arena
> updated in today's 3D graphics?
>
> seffen <sef...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > Well, I like first person single player rpg's. I think veiwing my
> character
> > in 3rd person is just extra fluff, fine tune the fp view and game
please.
> > hope Morrowind ,when it's released , is outstanding. One thing I didn't
> like
> > about Daggerfall ( I liked Arena better) is it was TO Huge. The dungeons
> > were heartbreaking in size and boring. The map was very hard to read and
> > understand and the plot got lost in the game. I really wanted to like
> > Daggerfall,but couldn't .... I'll give Morrowind a chance though, just
> > because it sounds like Bethesda is really trying to make a good game.
Time
> > will tell....
> > Good luck
> >

> > Todd Howard wrote in message <8g8opp$dgl$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>...
> > >Morrowind is a 1st person game, that's what we're concentrating on. The
> > >interface has been designed to work either way, and we may try putting
in
> > >3rd person mode because everyone likes to switch once and a while to
see
> > how
> > >ultimately cool they look (especially in this kind of game where you
can
> > >wear anything you want). You see yourself in the character window, but
> it's
> > >not the same as 3rd person. Regardless, as far as polish, camera
> movement,
> > >etc...1st person is our concentration.
> > >
> > >- Todd

John N. White

May 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/22/00
"Todd Howard" <tho...@bethsoft.com> wrote in message news:8gbn06$btd$1...@bob.news.rcn.net...

> Actually I like Arena better too (especially when compared to other games of
> that year), though the character system in Daggerfall (skills equals level
> advancement) is much better than XP.

Daggerfall had some good ideas, but the implementation was
badly flawed. What you would do to have fun *should* be the
same as what you have to do to improve your character.
But with Daggerfall, if you go out and have fun then many
key skills will rarely improve. So you have to exercise
them in a boring, repetative manner. That's why some sort
of experience system would be *much* better. If you got
experience for doing quests, bopping monsters, and exploring,
and then you used this experience to raise skills, then
improving your character would be fun, as it should be.

Daggerfall isn't the only game with this problem. I've
seen many posts about UO complaining about having to chop
wood for endless hours before being strong enough to go
out and do something interesting. And many posts about
EQ complain about having to camp for endless hours to
get good items. It's basically the same problem, if what
you need to do to improve your character isn't fun, then
the game as a whole is a lot less fun.

Another problem with Daggerfall is that the skills have
a maximum value. Once you max them out, you can't improve
them anymore. Being able to improve a character is very
important in an RPG, so once the character can no longer
improve, the game is really no longer an RPG.

tools_tech

May 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/22/00
I hate to disagree with the developer, but I often do anyway :-). This case
is no exception. One of the reasons I felt Arena was better was that the
experience system in Arena was less... how can I put this?... Less
distracting, less over the top, and overall interfered less with my playing
style than Daggerfall's monotonous practice your skills X many times to gain
a level system.

In Daggerfall, I often found myself shooting fireballs at the walls of an
Inn in order to gain the 2 or 3 levels I needed to survive the next dungeon.
Boring and ultimately not much fine. Whereas in Arena I just went on to the
next dungeon and felt the excitement build as I awaited the next level.
This is the sole reason why I have finished Arena 3 times, and never
completed Daggerfall even once.

Well, maybee not the sole reason. I think Arena had more... atmosphere.

On another note: In Morrowind, please do not include the light spell with
the floating candle. I often went about in the dark just because I couldn't
stand that candle that kept getting in the way one moment, and disappearing
behind a wall (along with all of its light) the next. That is one spell
that needs to go back to it's Arena roots.

Just a thought. Thanks for listening.

kwarlord

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00

Todd Howard <tho...@bethsoft.com> wrote in message
> Actually I like Arena better too (especially when compared to other games
of
> that year), though the character system in Daggerfall (skills equals level
> advancement) is much better than XP.
>
> As far as the other questions asked, all will be told. PC Gamer has a big
> preview in the next issue (July cover I think...the one after the current
> UO2 one). I'll be able to say a lot more after that.
>
> Suffice to say our thoughts are:
> Daggerfall character system. Excellent. Keep it.
> Daggerfall world (cities, dungeons, NPCs). Needs serious attention.
Rethink
> it.
> Daggerfall (and Arena) bugs. We can't have any. Who wants to waste 3 years
> on a game that half the people can't enjoy because it's broken? If an
> average game has 97 bugs, we can only have 2. Everyone is waiting to see
if
> it's buggy. Prove them wrong. Stop at nothing to make it clean.
>
> - todd

how about you improve the childguard feature and explain exactly what it
does on the install/play screen. then you can make the rest of the game as
raunchy as people want. see? then you'd make everybody happy! ;-)

Mista Bitch

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00

>how about you improve the childguard feature and explain exactly what it
>does on the install/play screen. then you can make the rest of the game as
>raunchy as people want. see? then you'd make everybody happy! ;-)

Finally I can play my Peeping Tom character class... =]

Todd Howard

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
I agree with monotonous of the Daggerfall system (if you wanted to exploit
it, and this was pretty much with spell casting). We have addressed these
sort of things and the leveling system is a lot more flexible, more on that
later.

Why do I like the skill system better than XP? Because it rewards you for
doing the things that define your character. A thief should not become a 5th
level thief by saving a maiden, or by delivering a gem. He should be a 5th
level thief because he is has been doing thief things (picking pockets,
sneaking around, foiling traps, etc). It forces you to role-play, to decide
how your character is defined and what defines his particular greatness. A
10th level Mage and a 10th level Thief should become such in different ways.

Anyway, that's our thought process. Again, I agree with the Daggerfall
problem, and the new system is a lot friendlier and flexible. Oh and that
candle thing is gone.

- todd

tools_tech <spam_s...@else.com> wrote in message

Paul Radetzky

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
On Tue, 23 May 2000 12:38:53 -0400, "Todd Howard"
<tho...@bethsoft.com> wrote:

>I agree with monotonous of the Daggerfall system (if you wanted to exploit
>it, and this was pretty much with spell casting). We have addressed these
>sort of things and the leveling system is a lot more flexible, more on that
>later.

WHY? I alway thought that you should try to swim to be a good swimmer,
to run to be a runner and to play CRPG games, to be a good
CRPG-player. So, what's so wrong about that?

I was wandering around Dagerfall's Magic Guild and casting "fireball"
hundreds of times. What the f... was I doing? I was an adept mage and
I was working hard to improve my skills... Then, I was usually going
shopping, sometimes I visted my favourite tavern.

And it WAS fun! I WAS "REAL WORLD". And I loved it in Daggerfall.

They sat that Daggerfall's cites looked same, no matter which one you
enter... I don't think so. I had my house and I loved every part of
it. I remeber every part of the furniture, every corner...

The only thing, that new game needs is even better weather effects,
like moving clouds, which could be getting bigger or smaller (they
should be fractals or 3d-models. I would love to see differnet kinds
of rain, snow AND WIND, up to the cyclone... Lightings striking
houses and trees, real fire, which could spread around the place you
had set that fire :))) Real smoke, and snow - I mean snow should be
covering the ground over the time... New game could also use lots, no,
a mean L-O-T-S of extra decorations, without any use, just for...
decoration. I mean dozens of different kinds of trees, bushes,
mailboxes (?), windows, fences, furniture and so on. D3 should have
nice coastline, and water in the see should allow to enjoy underwater,
VERY simple, but existing world (underwater ground with some
underwater plants). D3 should have more realistic mammals like walking
around (AND "kill-able" ;))) ), pigs, cows, deers... I would love to
see cats wandering on the houses's roofs, dogs running around,
sleeping and barking at me, horses in the cattles.
btw I took this screen from Daggerfall and I think it is one of the
best screens taken from Dagerfall ever... Just look at this cat :)))
He doesn't seem to be happy.
http://www.gole.soccer.com.pl/gole/e2.jpg

I hope you would understand me. THIS kind of moments are making the
game great. I have hundreds of other ideas and I will always offer
Bethseda my help as lone-wolf beta tester, or QA or just the man who
will always have new thoughts about the greatest CRPG saga ever -
Elder Scrolls...

Oddjob

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
More than one line reply after scrolling. I promise.

El Ravager wrote:

> On Tue, 23 May 2000 12:38:53 -0400, "Todd Howard"
> <tho...@bethsoft.com> wrote:
>

> >Why do I like the skill system better than XP? Because it rewards you for
> >doing the things that define your character. A thief should not become a 5th
> >level thief by saving a maiden, or by delivering a gem. He should be a 5th
> >level thief because he is has been doing thief things (picking pockets,
> >sneaking around, foiling traps, etc). It forces you to role-play, to decide
> >how your character is defined and what defines his particular greatness. A
> >10th level Mage and a 10th level Thief should become such in different ways.
>

> In theory, it's a good idea. In practice, you can have your character
> jump up and down a hill to max out his jumping skill, pick pocket
> NPC's over and over until the skill is maxed out, swimming in a pond
> until the swimming skill is maxed, etc... This type of implementation
> is very lame.
> <snip>

If you decide to take advantage the holes in a system that's fair game. But
complaining about being able to abuse a system nobody is forcing you to abuse
doesn't really mean alot. It'd be different in a multiplayer title but who are
you competing with in Daggerfall? I just didn't do things that seemed unintended
and I didn't have a problem with that particular aspect of the system.

> The only way I could see a skill-based system working is if "skill
> use" merely allocates a static pool of points, taking points away from
> the least used skills. This pool of points can be modified by the
> character's level of experience. Hey, that's a great idea, you heard
> it here first ;)

Now this idea is awesome! The huge power inflation in level-based roleplaying
games, including Daggerfall, really limits both suspension of disbelief and
replayability. I never thought of that...perhaps you could grant a few points
slowly to the 'static' pool over time to simulate realistic improvements in
knowledge and ability. And maybe you could 'lock' one or two skills as a
specialty to reflect ungamed study or practice (and provide some sense of
character continuity).

> ~ El Ravager

Yi Jin-Hoh [Albert]

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
I just found a piece of toast from El Ravager with the following message
inscribed:

>On Tue, 23 May 2000 12:38:53 -0400, "Todd Howard"
><tho...@bethsoft.com> wrote:
>

>>I agree with monotonous of the Daggerfall system (if you wanted to
>>exploit it, and this was pretty much with spell casting). We have
>>addressed these sort of things and the leveling system is a lot more
>>flexible, more on that later.
>>

>>Why do I like the skill system better than XP? Because it rewards you for
>>doing the things that define your character. A thief should not become a
>>5th level thief by saving a maiden, or by delivering a gem. He should be
>>a 5th level thief because he is has been doing thief things (picking
>>pockets, sneaking around, foiling traps, etc). It forces you to
>>role-play, to decide how your character is defined and what defines his
>>particular greatness. A 10th level Mage and a 10th level Thief should
>>become such in different ways.
>
>In theory, it's a good idea. In practice, you can have your character
>jump up and down a hill to max out his jumping skill, pick pocket
>NPC's over and over until the skill is maxed out, swimming in a pond
>until the swimming skill is maxed, etc... This type of implementation
>is very lame.

You want to get stronger. What are you going to do?

1) Lift weights repetetively
2) Continue about your life

If you want to become proficient in something, you practice it. Casting
cheap macro spells might be considered cheating, but it's realistic.
What I used to do was get a quest from the Mage's Guild, waste all my
magicka on cheap trainer spells, then fast travel, do the quest, waste
magicka again, etc. Using this method, I usually gained 90% by the time
I could create magical items. I think. I don't think it's a bad system
at all. Instead of success raising skills, however, maybe use failures.
Learning from one's mistakes and all that.

--
Yi Jin-Hoh (Albert)

"Why isn't the skeptic skeptical of his own skepticism?"
-- Self

John N. White

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
"Yi Jin-Hoh [Albert]" <aj...@nospam.home.com> wrote in message

> You want to get stronger. What are you going to do?
>
> 1) Lift weights repetetively
> 2) Continue about your life
>
> If you want to become proficient in something, you practice it. Casting
> cheap macro spells might be considered cheating, but it's realistic.

You want to have fun playing a CRPG. What are you going to do?

1) Buy a game that makes you do boring repetative practice
to develop your skills
2) Buy a game that increases your skills as a reward for
doing fun things like quests and killing monsters

I pick option (2).

Gandelon

May 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/26/00
> You want to get stronger. What are you going to do?
>
> 1) Lift weights repetetively
> 2) Continue about your life

I have to disagree with this approach to gaming. The problem is that it
rewards things that just aren't fun. It also allows you to max out your
character without ever leaving your hotel room. Don't get me wrong, I
consider Daggerfall one of the most ambitious RPG projects of all time, but
the skill progression system simply wasn't and isn't the best way to go
about character progression.

I'm much more fond of the system used in Fallout and Torment (esp. Fallout),
where you get experience for completing quests (as well as bashing heads.)
No, this approach isn't as open-ended, but it still is my preference.

Also on the topic of realism, while we're here, Daggerfall and many other
RPG's (including Fallout) have a serious flaw in their combat systems. The
idea that a character can be lethal with a mace but can't hit with an axe to
save their life is simply not accurate. I have accumulated a fair amount of
real-world sparring experience, some of it with weapons, and I can
definitely say that the same people who are handy bare-handed are good with
knives and sticks... the skill is not so much how to line everything up for
a swing/ thrust, the skill is how to judge the movement of the opponent so
you can actually get in your swing while not allowing them the opportunity
to retaliate.

For this reason, I think the AD&D system of combat is far more realistic
than I had previously thought. With all the SCA stuff the creators were
doing, I imagine they figured this stuff out long before I did.

Realism has little to do with what makes a game fun, of course. But I would
argue that much of the fun of Diablo, for example, was the frequent switches
of equipment... it was a lot of fun to drop that maul of goat-man smashing
and instead pick up that two-handed sword of flaming dismemberment. IMHO,
of course.

Scharmers

May 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/26/00
I picked up DF for the 3rd time about a month ago. (1st copy
sold, 2nd copy borrowed and never returned). It's still the
most immersive RPG out there. You really -feel- like your
character. Powergaming idiots ("I want to be level 10 in five
minutes, screw this practicing skills stuff") hate this game. I
*like* improving my thief by travelling from town to town,
resting until dark, then going on lockpicking sprees,
interspersing that with the occasional tomb robbery and quick
pick-pocket. It's really easy to get into character, doing lots
of quiet night-work, popping in on guilds every once in a
while. So it isn't constant "KILL KILL KILL" action. If I want
that, I'll play UT. BTW: the 2.13 and Andyfall patches are very
nice :)

--scharmers

Gerry Quinn

May 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/27/00
In article <04081d66...@usw-ex0104-033.remarq.com>, Scharmers <scharmer...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>I picked up DF for the 3rd time about a month ago. (1st copy
>sold, 2nd copy borrowed and never returned). It's still the
>most immersive RPG out there. You really -feel- like your
>character. Powergaming idiots ("I want to be level 10 in five
>minutes, screw this practicing skills stuff") hate this game. I
>*like* improving my thief by travelling from town to town,
>resting until dark, then going on lockpicking sprees,
>interspersing that with the occasional tomb robbery and quick
>pick-pocket. It's really easy to get into character, doing lots
>of quiet night-work, popping in on guilds every once in a
>while. So it isn't constant "KILL KILL KILL" action. If I want
>that, I'll play UT. BTW: the 2.13 and Andyfall patches are very
>nice :)

Yes, when I played I used often enjoy just taking my horse out for a
ride around the landscape. DF is a classic, and I hope Morrowind builds
on it.

- Gerry Quinn

FS

May 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/27/00
>On Sat, 27 May 2000 10:58:26 GMT, ger...@indigo.ie (Gerry Quinn) wrote:

>Yes, when I played I used often enjoy just taking my horse out for a
>ride around the landscape. DF is a classic, and I hope Morrowind builds
>on it.
>
>- Gerry Quinn

Exactly! Especially when it was a morn, raining, and all fogged up,
riding on a horse across the open landscapes was just, well, excellent
:)

tools_tech

May 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/27/00

One problem with your post. Everything you said was exactly what people
were saying prior to Daggerfall's release. We all know how that story
ended.

> If Morrowind, the CRPG to end all CRPGS, gets slammed for bugs then
> Betheda's roleplaying days may be over. Think how much time, effort and
> money they've spent developing it already? Again, I'll hazard a guess
> they don't want to see a bazillion headers screaming, "MORROWIND TOO BUGGY
> TO PLAY!" through this newsgroup and reading the fallout in gaming
> magazines and sites. If they don't care what you and I think why is the
> lead designer posting to this group?
>
> -Brian

tools_tech

May 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/27/00
Except in Daggerfall the powergaming was actually much easier. Again, you
could simply sit in your hotel room and throw fireballs at the wall, rest,
repeat. In a few hours you could max out your level without ever exploring.

That is part of the reason behind my initial post against the skill system
ala Daggerfall. What you describe works okay for a thief. A thief would
want to break into houses. Unfortunately the repeat ad nasuem approach did
not work for magic users, in my opinon.

A magic user had 2 options:

1. Go out and try to toast monsters with nothing but your fireballs.
(Ouch, that Giant Scorpion I just hit with my Fire Ball didn't appreciate it
too much. I am now slowly being digested by said angry bug).

2. Cast boring fire balls at a blank, boring wall until I can raise 2 or 3
levels so that previously mentioned Giant Scorpion can no longer chomp me in
one bite.

Not fun.

Oddjob

May 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/28/00
I'll have to look that up in Deja I guess. I didn't know that Bethesda had a
rap for buggy games before Daggerfall came out. You do know Redguard and
Battlespire came after, correct? I haven't heard much about Arena bugs...so...

-Brian

tools_tech

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00
Arena got slammed for more than its fair share of bugs after release.

Of course, by the time word of mouth got around that the game existed and
most people picked it up, the patches were in place on the CD.

Oddjob <bruc...@mediaone.net> wrote in message

LOTcyclops

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
>Now this idea is awesome! The huge power inflation in level-based >roleplaying
games, including Daggerfall, really limits both suspension of >disbelief and
replayability. I never thought of that...perhaps you could >grant a few points
slowly to the 'static' pool over time to simulate >realistic improvements in
knowledge and ability. And maybe you could >'lock' one or two skills as a
specialty to reflect ungamed study or >practice (and provide some sense of
character continuity).

It seems my reading of thousands of newsposts has paid off. The system you
describe is very similar to what I've implimented in Ultizurk IV: Lord of the
Cyclops. My constant thinking while working on this is to imagine the party
actually adventuring around, and what they might do and think among themselves.
Gaining experience over time results in a point pool, some of which is
allocated automatically to skills that are pertinent to the specific character,
but not excessively.
From there, the player is allowed the flexibility to push those skills via a
large series of trainers in the land, or allow the character to differentiate
into other skills if he wishes.
One can imagine, for example, in combat a thief might be a tad envious of the
fighter's great skill in battle. After battle, one could imagine the comrades
talking, and perhaps the fighter might suggest to the thief
that he get some combat training. So while he might not have the automatic
natural tendancy to improve combat in the sense of the fighter, yet it remains
possible to reach a decent level in combat all the same.
The same holds true for the other characters and their abilities.
My primary goal is to have the party evolve according to the player's tastes,
and to ultimately become more different as the game progresses, rather than
more similar. This should lead to a much different experience for different
players.

+Five-Clawed Dragon UDIC Dr. Dungeon, In The Castle of The Mach Gryphon+
-----== Designed to close the book on shareware rpg's: ==----
--== Lord of the Cyclops nears completion! ==--

LOTcyclops

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
>If you want to become proficient in something, you practice it. Casting
>cheap macro spells might be considered cheating, but it's realistic.

I agree with this, however, I think it is important to set up a world in
which the player need not, for example, cast a fireball into a wall over and
over to increase casting skill, or have the fighter chop wood all day.
I believe it would be more interesting to have the land provide many
different opportunities to "practice" in a more realistic game sense.
Its one of the reasons "Cyclops" is starting to live up to its name. :)
For example, at a tavern some jealous beer-bellied chap might challenge your
paladin to a fist fight, giving him the opportunity to practice unarmed combat
in a fun way. A farmer might have, say, a row of crops that need to be
ensorcelled to grow, giving the mage some practice, and maybe getting some
crops that provide regeants to make potions.
The idea is to get them to practice by providing fun in-game activities where
they accomplish some goal, with the practice as a kind of after effect of the
goal. The flavor thus becomes "experience is the best teacher".

seffen

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
Hey lotcyclops...........so , where can we read more about you game? Do you
have a website up ?
later

LOTcyclops wrote in message
<20000604084601...@ng-cn1.aol.com>...

LOTcyclops

Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
>Hey lotcyclops...........so , where can we >read more about you game? Do you
>have a website up ?
>later

Soon - I need to redo some of the character sets (they are temps to fill in
the maps) and run the latest through the testers. Then, I think it will be
close enough to done to finally get a site up with info & some screenshots.
After two and a half years I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the
tunnel with maybe 80% done. So far, its going well and praise the role-playing
gods, no bugs or crashes on 18 tested machines!

xnr234a

Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
Hey..need beta testers?? Sound like a fun game
"LOTcyclops" <lotcy...@aol.com> skrev i meddelandet