IndyCar Racing

Bob Boulanger

Nov 1, 1993, 5:29:57 PM11/1/93
In article <CFIKt...@mailer.cc.fsu.edu> cfo...@garnet.acns.fsu.edu (Charles Fornaciari) writes:
>pe...@introl.com (Pete Ikusz) writes:
>> In article <7.6160.212...@cld9.com> ross.e...@cld9.com (Ross Erickson) writes:
>> Now that there will be a cool new racing game out, does anyone
>> know of a good driving controller? I mean, a joystick
>> doesn't come close to cutting it...
>
> ThrustMaster is scheduled to release one within the next month or
> two (probably two)---a big *guess* on the price is around $100.
> If Buzz Hoffman see's this message I'm sure he'll post additional
> details.
>
> Charles

Thrustmaster's unit will sell for $179.95. Thrustmaster says they "hope" to have it out by the first of the year.

However, Wizard Racing, Ltd. has a controller that is available now. It sells
for $119.95. It's called the ProWheel Steering Controller, and incorporates
the throttle/brake and shifting functions into buttons in a housing on the
wheel. They have plans to release a pressurized feedback braking system, with a throttle pedal, in about six months. the two units will be comaptible.

If you'd like a couple of GIFs so you can see what it looks like, let me know.

Bob Boulanger
--
Bob Boulanger
Logic Modeling Corporation

Eric Masson

Nov 5, 1993, 10:14:03 PM11/5/93

I'm quite new the world of PCs and especially its games. When
I read the discussion for this game I immediately felt the need
to upload the demo for it. Having looked at it for a while I have
a few comments and questions to ask.

I was impressed by feeling I had watching the demo but I am
quite disappointed at the resolution at which it operates.
Why is it that the resolution selected has pixels the size of
beach balls ? Due to hardware requirements of the machine I would
expect everyone using the game to at least have VGA if they can run it.
So why not take advantage of it? This question also translates to other
PC games that I have seen, even those that do not require so many
frames per second. At least I would like the possibility to select which
res to run the game at. Will this change in the future ?
PC games at this resolution look ok on a 14" monitor, they start
looking bad on a 15" and they look like a barf shot on a 17". The only
way they've managed to compensate for the poor res was with a brilliant
use of the colors to give me a nice impression of the road and the
surrounding environment.

The sound in the demo was also quite disappointing with exception
to the speaker's intro. All I ever noticed was the hum of the motor
and very lame ticks when the papyrus car hit
the walls. Where are the tire squeals, the break sounds, the off track
noises and other sounds. Perhaps I missed them because my volume was too
low... Will these sounds be in the final release if they are not
currently there ? Surely adding a few effects can't take up that much
more CPU time. In full multimedia my blaster takes up only 6% of CPU
time.

Not that I know the Indy Car racers that well but have the drivers
in IndyCar been programmed to behave with the habits of their real
life couterparts ? I think this would add some flavour to the game.
I hear that some Indycar racers have very bad reputations when someone
comes to pass them and that they will pull dirty tricks 8). Haven't seen
Nigel Mansell anywhere in there, will he be included in the official
release ? I would also like to know how many tracks are of the type
in the demo. I do not want to offense any milk drinkers but
I am not too particularly keen on Indianapolis 500 style races where the
racer has to do 200 ovals, tri-ovals or some other regular shape
(perhaps these races are more fun to drive than to watch and I'll change
my mind when I get the game).

Thanks,

Eric

--
Eric Masson (398 3937)

mcle...@gsbacd.uchicago.edu

Nov 6, 1993, 12:16:39 AM11/6/93
Hi Eric!

Don't knock the ovals till ya try 'em! The original
Indy 500:The Simulation was a GREAT game that involved
200 action-packed laps. I expect that the new game from
Papyrus will retain the same exciting flavor :)

Make sure you pick this one up! I'll be first in line!

-Chris LeMasters
Indianapolis, Indiana
"The Motor Sports Capital of the World"

Manith Mok

Nov 19, 1993, 1:01:41 AM11/19/93
mcle...@gsbacd.uchicago.edu wrote:
: Hi Eric!

While we are in the subject of IndyCar, maybe one of you guys can help me.
A friend and I just got the game and we really like to play it over modem.
The problem is, we can't seem to connect. When he calls, I pressed the
'Answer' bar and nothing happen. The same thing happened when I make a
call and my friend answered. All the settings seem right and my modem is
working perfectly.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Manith Mok

E-mail: M...@csulb.edu