Looking for a game similar to Realms of Haunting

LDames1173

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
Can anyone suggest a game that is similar to Realms of the Haunting. Linda

Cindy KM

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
ldame...@aol.com (LDames1173) wrote:

>Can anyone suggest a game that is similar to Realms of the Haunting. Linda

Linda -
I have not seen a game since that is like ROTH. That remains one of
my favorite gaming experiences - the mix of action and adventure was
wonderful. I think Dark Earth came kind of close in terms of having
combat and puzzles, but the story wasn't nearly as complex or
compelling.
I wish we'd see more adventures that let the player really get in
there and participate instead of observing "after the fact."
Cheers!

Cindy Kyser Morgan
WarZone Staff Writer & Adventure Person
ci...@warzone.com

guy...@usa.net

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
Of course I think I'll throw System Shock in just for its own sake.
BTW, I heard Gremlin was working on another game like RoTH, but not a
sequel. Will Interplay's financial troubles have any effect on it?

spaceboy

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
LDames1173 wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a game that is similar to Realms of the Haunting. > Linda

That entirely depends on why you liked ROTH. On a suspicion that it was
the unusual blend of action and adventure gaming that you enjoyed, might
I recommend some games as diverse as:
- System Shock (sci-fi, 1st-person 3D, truly great plot, sinister and
eerie with some things to shoot, too)
- Ultima Underworld (fantasy, 1st-person 3D, incredibly vivid and slowly
unfolding story, perhaps the most atmospheric games I've played)
- Lands Of Lore 2 (fantasy, 1st-person 3D, more of an rpg, but still
with an action game feel)

Also keep an eye out for the forthcoming Deus Ex from the producer of
System Shock and Ultima Underworld. Again, it's a action/adventure/rpg
hybrid and will have 1st-person 3D graphics, along with a modern-day,
X-Files-ish plot. However, when I say forthcoming, I really mean some
time next year. Should be worth the wait, though.

spaceboy

Andre_T

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
Another 3d horror adventure/action game is the Alone in the Dark series. You play
in third person perspective and you can search, shoot weapons, move objects, etc.
I think the first game in the series was the best. Truly creeping atmosphere with
it's Lovecraftian and Haunted House theme. The next two games in the series didn't
do it for as much because the change in atmosphere (western and pirates). I played
this on a 386, so I'm not sure how it'll play on a pentium. But for it's time, the
graphics blew me away. A pre-cursor to Resident Evil and all those Lara Croft
games.

If you want another Adventure/Action hybrid. You might want to check out Mission
Critical. The gameplay stays mainly in the typical adventure format, like other
point and click adventure games (Deathgate, Eric the Unready, Lucas Arts games
like Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max). However you are in first person
perspective, ala Myst and Riven, starting out at first inside an empty and creepy
space ship. What's cool is that halfway through the game, there is an
action/strategy sequence where you battle your drones against an impending attack.
You have to program your drones on a 3d tactical map and you can watch them battle
it out with the incoming ships. I wished the developer actually made spinoff of
this tactical engine and made a separate strategy/action game. The rest of Mission
Critical is nice with cool painted artwork and a good sci-fi story. Both
elements, the action and adventure, is really done well. Very underrated game,
IMO.

-Andre

Laurie Power

Nov 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/9/98
The message <19981108013922...@ng75.aol.com>
from ldame...@aol.com (LDames1173) contains these words:

> Can anyone suggest a game that is similar to Realms of the Haunting. Linda

In terms of atmosphere you might like Azraels Tear. The graphics are
somewhat pixilated but the the actual locations are great. The HUD
interface also lewaves something to be desired. But once you get into
it it as one of the best adventure stories I've come across and great
characterisation.

<--LOLL-->
<--DDR**DDRRDIDRRDLDROIDR-->

Christy

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
In article <19981108013922...@ng75.aol.com>,
ldame...@aol.com says...

> Can anyone suggest a game that is similar to Realms of the Haunting. Linda

You may wish to check out half-life. It is a little more combat oriented
(but not too much so) than ROTH but it has a similar scary quality and it
has some cool interaction between you and non hostile characters that
happen to be around. You can even recruit some of the surviving security
guards to help cover you if you managed to save them from the nasties
that show up.

The plot seems to be deep and involved much like ROTH.

The premise is that you are a scientist at a reach facility where
something goes very wrong and our universe gets cross linked with another
one. Heh.. even sounds like a similar plot to ROTH:) but it has a
different feel. More science fiction horror (ala x-files) rather than
demonic horror.

My only gripe with it is the one I have with most of these games and that
is the lack of female characters let alone a female main character. But
even that gripe not-with-standing it is an excelent, scary at times and
exciting game.

I've played through the day one OEM version and eagerly await the full
version. If you can get a hold of the OEM version, check it out, and if
not get the full version. The only way that I know of to get the OEM
version is to buy a video card like a voodoo banshee that comes with it
as one of its "freebees".

By the time I reached the end of the demo my heart was pounding like it
does during a good action movie.

Hope this helps...

Christy

Harold Rollins

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98
LDames1173 wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a game that is similar to Realms of the Haunting. Linda

I have looked for another game like ROTH myself -- without success. I suspect
that ROTH is unique. I don't know if you have played System Shock, but it also
combines combat and adventure elements -- in a compelling way, IMO. It has a
very different ambience, however.

For games with a somewhat similar feel to ROTH, I think one probably needs to
look for something in the RPG category.

-- Hal

Laurie Power

Nov 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/10/98

> You may wish to check out half-life. It is a little more combat oriented
> (but not too much so) than ROTH but it has a similar scary quality and it
> has some cool interaction between you and non hostile characters that
> happen to be around. You can even recruit some of the surviving security
> guards to help cover you if you managed to save them from the nasties
> that show up.

> The plot seems to be deep and involved much like ROTH.

> Christy

I thought this was a straight shoot-em-up . Are there adventure
elements, puzzles a proper inventory etc. Thanks for any info.

<--LOLL-->
<--DDR**DDRRDIDRRDLDROIDR-->

Christy

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
In article <199811101...@zetnet.co.uk>, l.p...@zetnet.co.uk
says...

I would say it has adventure elements but they are lighter than ROTH,
which I consider light adventure elements in the first place. Its
strongest adventure elements is a compelling story and the ability to
interact with your environment and the other characters. It also has
tomb raider like puzzles where you figure out how to get around in the
enviroment.

From my perspective it falls in a similar band as ROTH. I would suggest
you buy it from a store that has a good return policy (like Electronic
Boutique) and try it. If you don't like it you can always return it. I
think the story is that good that is should appeal to adventure gamers

It is a quite a bit more than Quake, Unreal or Doom which are shoot
everything you see and it has a pretense of a story.

Hope this helps...
Christy