If you want it here come and get it - all 27 free games on GOG right now

MetalGuru

Jun 3, 2020, 4:24:05 PM6/3/20
...but you'd better hurry cause it's going fast :D

People in this group probably already have the vast majority of these games but this a very convenient link to check if you've missed a freebie. If you're logged in it will show you which ones you already own and give you the chance to add the ones you don't to the cart and get them in one fell swoop.

I have only played a couple of them myself and can highly recommend Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves, one of the newest ones being offered. Some of the classics still hold up pretty well I think (i.e. Beneath a Steel Sky even though I don't much care for the adventure genre) others not so much. Have phun!

PS: bonus points if you got the reference in the title of this post :D

https://www.gog.com/partner/stay_at_home?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=20200603_freegamesstayathome_enfb&utm_term=EN

Ant

Jun 3, 2020, 4:44:33 PM6/3/20
Woah. Too many. I already have like half of it. Haha. Title? No idea!
--
..!.. *isms, sins, devil, illness (e.g., COVID-19/2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2), etc.
/\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org /

MetalGuru

Jun 3, 2020, 7:35:23 PM6/3/20
On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 Ant wrote:
> Haha. Title? No idea!

Sorry it's actually "If you want it here it is, come and get it but you'd better hurry cause it's going fast." I have a bad finger... er, memory! I meant to say memory! But seriously now, the walrus was John.

PW

Jun 3, 2020, 11:06:30 PM6/3/20
*---

I am running out of room. PC Gamer and Max PC in their build machines
always say that a 1TB is plenty big enough for all your Steam games.

Yeah right!

-pw

Dimensional Traveler

Jun 4, 2020, 12:42:26 AM6/4/20
Well, there's your problem! These aren't Steam games, they're GOG games!

--
<to be filled in at a later date>

Ant

Jun 4, 2020, 1:07:44 AM6/4/20
I have no brain these days. :(

MetalGuru

Jun 4, 2020, 3:42:55 AM6/4/20
On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 1:07:44 AM UTC-4, Ant wrote:
> MetalGuru wrote:
> > On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 Ant wrote:
> > > Haha. Title? No idea!
>
> > Sorry it's actually "If you want it here it is, come and get it but you'd better hurry cause it's going fast." I have a bad finger... er, memory! I meant to say memory! But seriously now, the walrus was John.
>
> I have no brain these days. :(

No brain needed, it's just silly pop trivia so either you were there or you weren't. It was a bit before my time too but my uncle used to like a Welsh band called Badfinger who had a few hit songs in the early 70's and one was called "Come and get it" written and produced by one Paul McCartney.

Fun (actually not fun at all, tragic and sad indeed) fact: the founders and main members of Badfinger both committed suicide after a series of managerial (some scumbag took them to the cleaners), personal and financial issues.

But never mind me, had a little too much to drink these past few days. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Spalls Hurgenson

Jun 4, 2020, 9:24:25 AM6/4/20
On Wed, 03 Jun 2020 15:44:27 -0500, a...@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>Woah. Too many. I already have like half of it. Haha. Title? No idea!

Amateur ;-)

I look at that list and think instead, "these games are free now? But
I PAID for half of them!"

(well, okay, only three or four but you get the idea).

Then again, I'm not really upset that I paid for Ultima games. That
was money well spent.

Ant

Jun 4, 2020, 4:13:19 PM6/4/20
I could never get into Ultima games. I am more of old Gauntlet, Diablo,
Oblivion, etc. Basically, action RPGs. ;)

Justisaur

Jun 5, 2020, 2:10:06 PM6/5/20
Apparently the only one I didn't have was Delores, which looks to be a text
adventure with pixelated backgrounds, not my cuppa, but got it.

Thanks!

- Justisaur

PW

Jun 6, 2020, 12:52:20 PM6/6/20
*--

I installed a 3TB drive, mostly for games, and it is almost filled up!
And they are scattered on other drives too!

I have no room for another drive. I wish I knew which drive was "I",
"F", "C",... so I could replace one or two of them with a 4TB drive
and have Radio Shack copy the contents from one or two drives to it.

-pw

Dimensional Traveler

Jun 6, 2020, 2:11:57 PM6/6/20
Well, "C" is almost certainly your boot disc. :) As for the rest in
Win10 you can rename drives. I don't remember how I did it but it
wasn't hard to find out or do so you may want to consider that.

Spalls Hurgenson

Jun 7, 2020, 9:08:10 AM6/7/20
On Wed, 03 Jun 2020 21:06:59 -0600, PW <P...@noemailaddress.com> wrote:

>I am running out of room. PC Gamer and Max PC in their build machines
>always say that a 1TB is plenty big enough for all your Steam games.

Here's a hint: you don't have to keep all your games installed all the
time. The games remain in your Steam library even if they aren't on
your hard-drive. After all, it is unlikely you will be playing all
your games at the same time. You will be amazed at how many Steam
games you can own if you don't insist on installing them all to disk
first ;-)

That said, I'm a bit spoiled these days by fast internet. Just a few
years ago, I was still on dog-slow DSL and downloading games required
a lot of planning; some larger titles might require DAYS to install.
Because of this, I downloaded all my games, then immediately backed
them up to an external hard-drive; that way if I ever needed to
reinstall, I could skip the lengthy download. These days, it's almost
always faster for me just to download the game than pull it off the
external drive (which either says something about my internet
connection or the speed of my external drives). Plus, modern games
have become so large that - were I to archive them all - I'd need to
buy a new external HDD every few months. Nonetheless, I still archive
many of the smaller titles; you never know when the internet will go
tits up.

Nonetheless, I don't keep that many games installed at any one time.
There's a few* that never leave my HDD, of course; Minecraft, Doom,
Eutrotruck Simulator 2 - always ready to provide me with a quick fix.
But those games I round up in my monthly "what have you played
threads"? Uninstalled almost as soon as I finish them. Why waste
hard-drive space on a game I'm not likely to replay any time soon?

* Well, "a few" if you only include the games listed above. If you add
in my Ultimate DOS Games Collection, that number balloons up to over
1000 games... but that's largely because I consider the DOS Games as a
single game, and because it took such a long time to configure all of
them to run happily together. So I will conveniently exclude them from
my list, happily ignoring the facts just to make my point ;-)

Rudi

Jun 7, 2020, 10:26:28 AM6/7/20
On Sun, 07 Jun 2020 09:08:04 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallsh...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Here's a hint: you don't have to keep all your games installed all the
>time. The games remain in your Steam library even if they aren't on
>your hard-drive.

[..]

>Because of this, I downloaded all my games, then immediately backed
>them up to an external hard-drive; that way if I ever needed to
>reinstall, I could skip the lengthy download.

Funny you should bring this up now. Plz read my other post about
doing a lenghty external HDD shuffle work for the past month.
This is one of the major reasons. Especially today, when most
modern(ish) games are in the 50Gig neighbourhood, previous
generation 15 plusminus.