Solution to all the DOOM posts...

Eli S Bingham

Nov 30, 1993, 2:06:20 PM11/30/93
Listen up, ID Software!

Next time you have an impending release of a much anticipated game, make
sure it's name is not so cool-sounding as DOOM and much longer to
eliminate all of the casual "Where can I get xxx" posts. How about
"Smashing Pumpkins Into Small Piles Of Putrid Debris" for the next game?

* Eli Bingham ebi...@ctp.org bin...@hotsun.nersc.gov *
* "I am not a number, I am a free man!" - The Prisoner *

bl...@gpx01.d39.lilly.com

Dec 1, 1993, 11:24:19 AM12/1/93
In article <2dg5jc$h...@eis.calstate.edu>, ebi...@eis.calstate.edu (Eli S Bingham) writes:
> Listen up, ID Software!
>
> Next time you have an impending release of a much anticipated game, make
> sure it's name is not so cool-sounding as DOOM and much longer to
> eliminate all of the casual "Where can I get xxx" posts. How about
> "Smashing Pumpkins Into Small Piles Of Putrid Debris" for the next game?

I heard SPISPOPD is going to be officially released on February 29. It is the
butt kicking-est game ever invented, runs on any machine (from a C64 through a
Cray 2) and allows an infinite number of simultaneous players. I saw the beta
version and it is way cool! I hope those guys over at the software company
don't pull a fast one and try to extend the release date past February 29.

Diane Winters

Dec 1, 1993, 3:42:56 PM12/1/93

Oooohhh! What ftp sites can I find this K00L game on??

Thanks!!

Diane
(Sorry, I just couldn't resist! Heh)

John W. Cummings

Dec 1, 1993, 3:13:57 PM12/1/93
In article <2dg5jc$h...@eis.calstate.edu> ebi...@eis.calstate.edu (Eli S Bingham) writes:
>Listen up, ID Software!
>
>Next time you have an impending release of a much anticipated game, make
>sure it's name is not so cool-sounding as DOOM and much longer to
>eliminate all of the casual "Where can I get xxx" posts. How about
>"Smashing Pumpkins Into Small Piles Of Putrid Debris" for the next game?

Yes, but then we will get "Where can I get SPISPOPD?" posts -- or they
will think of an abbreviation like "Where can I get SP?" posts.
No - instead, they should choose a title that can not be represented
by the first 128 ASCII characters and that furthermore, can not be
pronounced, kind of like Prince's new name. Then, we can still talk
about it and know by context what it is, but no one else will know how
to ask about it...
But, then again, we will get posts like "What is this mysterious
un-named game everyone keeps talking about..."
So, maybe its not such a good idea after all. (unless, of course, we
always reply with something like "Read the FAQ on it." =]

- John

| John W. Cummings | |
| College of William & Mary | Last night I was lying in bed |
| Computer Science | looking up at the stars and |
| jwc...@cs.wm.edu | I wondered: "Where's my roof?" |
|_______________________________|___________________________________|

The opinions expressed above are my own. But I expect you to make
them your own, as well, as I am always right.

David Reeve Sward

Dec 1, 1993, 6:02:51 PM12/1/93
Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action: 1-Dec-93 Re:
Solution to all the DOO.. by John W. Cumm...@cs.wm.e
> But, then again, we will get posts like "What is this mysterious
> un-named game everyone keeps talking about..."
> So, maybe its not such a good idea after all. (unless, of course, we
> always reply with something like "Read the FAQ on it." =]

Naaa... "Just ask for the FAQ by name and we'll give it to you." :)
--
David Sward swa...@cmu.edu
GCS: -d+ -p+(---) c++(++++) l+ u+ e+ m+()@ s+/+ n+@ h+ f !g w+@ t+@ r+ y?

Jacob C Kesinger

Dec 1, 1993, 7:16:42 PM12/1/93
di...@micom.com (Diane Winters) writes:

I'm sending in my review of the beta to Ross right now!

Course, that's the TI-85 calculator port, so I can't comment on anything
else (but I hear the abacus version is way cool).

>Thanks!!

>Diane
>(Sorry, I just couldn't resist! Heh)

--Jake (me neither)

Joseph Dixon

Dec 1, 1993, 8:15:51 PM12/1/93
>I heard SPISPOPD is going to be officially released on February 29. It is the
>butt kicking-est game ever invented, runs on any machine (from a C64 through a
>Cray 2) and allows an infinite number of simultaneous players. I saw the beta
>version and it is way cool! I hope those guys over at the software company
>don't pull a fast one and try to extend the release date past February 29.

Sorry, but the date has already been pushed back to March 35. But hey, what's
one more month?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Joseph W Dixon ~ ~ "Bad movie? Your soaking in it." ~

John W. Cummings

Dec 1, 1993, 11:53:38 PM12/1/93
In article <2djfk7$m...@csc.mc.edu> di...@csc.mc.edu (Joseph Dixon) writes:
>>I heard SPISPOPD is going to be officially released on February 29. It is the
>>butt kicking-est game ever invented, runs on any machine (from a C64 through a
>>Cray 2) and allows an infinite number of simultaneous players. I saw the beta
>>version and it is way cool! I hope those guys over at the software company
>>don't pull a fast one and try to extend the release date past February 29.
>
>Sorry, but the date has already been pushed back to March 35. But hey, what's
>one more month?

FOR A GAME LIKE SPISPOPD?!?!?!? One month is a LONG time! I don't
even want to wait until Feb 29!

Vladimir V Zelevinsky

Dec 2, 1993, 4:13:37 AM12/2/93

Hey, what is this game you're talking about?

Is it shareware? Where can I ftp it from?

K H Petteri Bergius

Dec 2, 1993, 5:54:39 PM12/2/93
Vladimir V Zelevinsky (zel...@athena.mit.edu) wrote:

: Hey, what is this game you're talking about?

: Is it shareware? Where can I ftp it from?

If you refer to the SPISPOPD, it can be downloaded from
ftp.po_russkii.mit.edu at 10th of December. (;-)

If you mean DOOM, the list of sites carrying it will be published near
the publication date, 10th of December.

Cheers,

Petteri Bergius

John W. Cummings

Dec 2, 1993, 8:26:10 PM12/2/93
In article <2dkbk1$c...@senator-bedfellow.MIT.EDU> zel...@athena.mit.edu (Vladimir V Zelevinsky) writes:

>Hey, what is this game you're talking about?
>
>Is it shareware? Where can I ftp it from?

Its a REALLY, REALLY cool game. The first level is shareware, but you
can buy the next levels. But you need a joystick to play it, and it
is a big plus if you have a good sound card, because the sound track
is AWESOME!
I forget the exact name of the ftp site, but you should be able to
archie for it.

enjoy!

| John W. Cummings | |

| College of William & Mary | Suggestions for a witty quote |
| Computer Science | can be sent to the email |
| jwc...@cs.wm.edu | address at the left. |
|_______________________________|___________________________________|

Jeff Miller

Dec 3, 1993, 10:28:59 AM12/3/93
>Its a REALLY, REALLY cool game. The first level is shareware, but you
>can buy the next levels. But you need a joystick to play it, and it
>is a big plus if you have a good sound card, because the sound track
>is AWESOME!

Huh??? The copy I got had levels 2-976 as shareware, but you can buy the
first level.

| |
| jmi...@terra.colostate.edu (Jeff Miller) | TERRA Systems Administrator |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

Leon Patsiatzis

Dec 3, 1993, 3:30:00 AM12/3/93
Hello Eli!

30 Nov 93 11:06, Eli S Bingham wrote to All:

ESB> From: ebi...@eis.calstate.edu (Eli S Bingham)

ESB> Listen up, ID Software!

ESB> Next time you have an impending release of a much anticipated game, make
ESB> sure it's name is not so cool-sounding as DOOM and much longer to
ESB> eliminate all of the casual "Where can I get xxx" posts. How about
ESB> "Smashing Pumpkins Into Small Piles Of Putrid Debris" for the next game?

ESB> --
ESB> -+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--
ESB> +- * Eli Bingham ebi...@ctp.org bin...@hotsun.nersc.gov
ESB> * -+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
ESB> --+- * "I am not a number, I am a free man!" - The Prisoner
ESB> * -+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
ESB> --+-

Then everybody would call it SPISPOPD 8)

Leon Patsiatzis

YMC!

* Origin: Leon's Point! (3:620/262.12)

Henrikki T H{kk{nen

Dec 3, 1993, 1:29:11 PM12/3/93

You are *so* funny. You're killing me. (-sigh- :(
--
! Henrikki T. Hakkanen he...@vipunen.hut.fi !
! Helsinki University of Technology !

Neil Reilly

Dec 4, 1993, 12:02:24 PM12/4/93
jmi...@terra.colostate.edu (Jeff Miller) writes:

>>Its a REALLY, REALLY cool game. The first level is shareware, but you
>>can buy the next levels. But you need a joystick to play it, and it
>>is a big plus if you have a good sound card, because the sound track
>>is AWESOME!

>Huh??? The copy I got had levels 2-976 as shareware, but you can buy the
>first level.

That's weird...I didn't have to buy any of it. I was walking to church one
day and somebody threw it out of a truck and hit me with it. They yelled
something like "Damn those killer pumpkins!" as they threw it. Anywho, I
got all 12946 levels plus the 46 secret closets (one of which has the shovel
of death) for free! Pretty neat huh?

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\ "Rape Me" "One of these days I'm /
/ -Nirvana going to cut you into \
\ / little pieces" /
/ */////{===============- -Pink Floyd \
\ \ /
/ Neil Reilly \
\ 006...@dragon.acadiau.ca /
/ 006...@axe.acadiau.ca \
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Saqib A Qureshi

Dec 4, 1993, 2:32:39 PM12/4/93
In article <1993Dec3.0...@cs.wm.edu> jwc...@cs.wm.edu (John W. Cummings) writes:
>In article <2dkbk1$c...@senator-bedfellow.MIT.EDU> zel...@athena.mit.edu (Vladimir V Zelevinsky) writes:
>>
>>Hey, what is this game you're talking about?
>>
>>Is it shareware? Where can I ftp it from?
>

>Its a REALLY, REALLY cool game. The first level is shareware, but you
>can buy the next levels. But you need a joystick to play it, and it
>is a big plus if you have a good sound card, because the sound track
>is AWESOME!
>I forget the exact name of the ftp site, but you should be able to
>archie for it.
>
>enjoy!

[sig deleted]

Quote: "Where can I ftp it from?" =). If it's shareware then it should be all
over the place in popularity =)
-Saqib

Steven Goldstein

Dec 6, 1993, 11:22:05 AM12/6/93
to John W. Cummings

--
What is SPISPOPD? What's it stand for? What is the name of the
shareware file you need? What kind of game is it?

__ ____
Steven L. Goldstein / / / Voice: (603) 337-7619 - work
Cabletron Systems /__ / / __ (603) 888-5680 - home
P. O. Box 5005 / / / / Internet: ste...@express.ctron.com
Rochester, NH 03867 ___/ /___ /___/

Clement Langenhoven

Dec 6, 1993, 4:51:21 AM12/6/93
In <2dkbk1$c...@senator-bedfellow.MIT.EDU> zel...@athena.mit.edu (Vladimir V Zelevinsky) writes:

>Hey, what is this game you're talking about?

>Is it shareware? Where can I ftp it from?

Hey Vladimir

the game's called

"Smashing Pumpkins Into Small Piles Of Putrid Debris"

and it is mindboggling!

It runs on *any* machine in existence, can you imagine that?!

I've even seen it played on a FUDE-processor with a liquid core and
chunky segments on the inside!
]
DELICIOUS!!!

Clement

\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\-\
\ My brain's not twisted. /
\ /
\ It's hopelessly ....... /
\ SPRAINED. /
\|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|/
So send sprained
messages to
clan...@cs.uct.ac.za

Sven Neuhaus

Dec 5, 1993, 8:39:19 PM12/5/93
di...@csc.mc.edu (Joseph Dixon) writes:

>>I heard SPISPOPD is going to be officially released on February 29. It is the
>>butt kicking-est game ever invented, runs on any machine (from a C64 through a
>>Cray 2) and allows an infinite number of simultaneous players. I saw the beta
>>version and it is way cool! I hope those guys over at the software company
>>don't pull a fast one and try to extend the release date past February 29.

>Sorry, but the date has already been pushed back to March 35. But hey, what's
>one more month?

Sounds like a nice game. Let me know where I can find the latest theta for
my Cray-III

-Sven

Kenneth Palmertree

Dec 6, 1993, 7:19:50 PM12/6/93
Sven Neuhaus (s...@plato.chemietechnik.uni-dortmund.de) wrote:
: di...@csc.mc.edu (Joseph Dixon) writes:

: -Sven

Hey is this going to run on my HP48GX calculator?

I heard this game is going to be 100% virtual reality!! Is this right?

Ba ha

--
Name : Kenneth E. Palmertree
Internet : ken...@dekalb.dc.peachnet.edu

Sven Neuhaus

Dec 7, 1993, 12:10:42 PM12/7/93
steveg@foxboro (Steven Goldstein) writes:

>--
>What is SPISPOPD? What's it stand for? What is the name of the
>shareware file you need? What kind of game is it?

If you don't have it yet, go hang yourself. Or read the awesome FAQ.

Minh Ngoc Truong

Dec 7, 1993, 6:48:48 PM12/7/93
In article <1993Dec3.0...@cs.wm.edu> jwc...@cs.wm.edu (John W. Cummings) writes:

The AI is incredible, but I think what's neat about this game is the
synthesized digitized vocabulary. Wow, even I don't have 15,000 words
in my vocabulary. Try typing "Hey, old man, come and get some!" to the
guy guarding the portal...
Wow!
--
\_ \_ \_\_\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ | | |__ Your general fee in ACTION!
\_\_ \_\_ \_ \_\_ \_ \_\_\_\_ | \__/ No! No! Really, it WAS my idea!

Ryan E. Ingram

Dec 9, 1993, 3:44:16 PM12/9/93
In <2dg5jc$h...@eis.calstate.edu> ebi...@eis.calstate.edu (Eli S Bingham) writes:

>Listen up, ID Software!

>Next time you have an impending release of a much anticipated game, make
>sure it's name is not so cool-sounding as DOOM and much longer to
>eliminate all of the casual "Where can I get xxx" posts. How about
>"Smashing Pumpkins Into Small Piles Of Putrid Debris" for the next game?

Better yet, for alliteration's sake:
"Pulverizing Pumkins into Petite Piles of Putrid Pandemonium"...

Oh well... :)

--
|~-_ |~--_ |\ | Ryan E. Ingram | | \ / |~-_ |\ |\/|
| > |~t_| |\ |/ mty...@maroon.tc.umn.edu | |/ \/ | > |\ |/\|

rachel.e...@gmail.com

Oct 27, 2017, 6:38:15 PM10/27/17
I'm just posting here So I can be part of history lol

Ant

Oct 27, 2017, 11:35:07 PM10/27/17
Me too! Also, a related YouTube video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vHV5B77RM8 ... ;)
--
Quote of the Week: "Ants. There's a size for every picnic, a colour for
every occasion, and a bite to let you know that they are there. Apart

Renty Espeon

Feb 28, 2020, 9:38:35 AM2/28/20
Don't mind me. Just posting in this epic bread.

Ant

Feb 28, 2020, 9:04:22 PM2/28/20
Renty Espeon <ruelt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Don't mind me. Just posting in this epic bread.

Classic DOOM ruled. :P
--
"In a battle between elephants, the ants get squashed." --Thailand
/\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org /

Spalls Hurgenson

Feb 29, 2020, 10:20:20 AM2/29/20
On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 20:04:16 -0600, a...@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>Renty Espeon <ruelt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Don't mind me. Just posting in this epic bread.
>
>Classic DOOM ruled. :P

I have vague memories of this thread from back when it was new. There
really was a lot of anger at how Doom dominated this newsgroup when it
first came out (and even before). Even before the web, people found
things to be stupidly agressive about on the Internet.

On the plus side, IIRC this thread is what led to the creation of the
epic game, Smashing Pumpkins Into Small Piles of Putrid Debris, which
so dominated the industry that Id memorialized it with one of their
cheat codes. And, of course, since then there have been thousands of
so-called "pumpkin-clones" as other developers have tried to recapture
the magic of the original. But there is only one true SPISPOPD.