Comments on Duke 3D 1.1 Patch

Jared Ong

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96

The Patch came out today (2/20/96, or 20.2.96). It's only 631k or so,
so its not a hassle to download. I did see a couple of changes. There
NOW IS a small warning at the bottom of the intro screen which reads
WARNING: Adult Content. Also, if Adult Mode is off (which is how I
play most of the time), there is hardly any cussing at all, and almost
no gore whatsoever. Doesn't bother me one bit, if I want to, I can
always turn that option back on anyway.

Other things I noticed:

- You can now shoot Mr. Doom in level three and there is more blood
around him.
- There are new Demos now to watch.
- ALL SAVED GAMES ARE DELETED because they are incompatible with Duke
3D v1.1 (what the heck were they thinking?)
- *.Con files cannot be changed if you want to play a modem/network
game.
- They have a lot more control options in the setup. There is now
options for Terminator: Future Shock control. Its implented
handily, by pressing U on the keyboard, you can enable the up/down
aiming with the mouse. In addition, there is an option to make it
so that you have to hold down U in order to aim.
- Crossfires are present, press I to have crossfires and better
aiming (I found it to be a hassle though, I tried to line up my
crossfires too much and got blown away by the gun towers).
- Joystick control seems to be fixed, but I haven't tried it yet.
There are options supporting gamepads, Logitech Wingman Extremes,
and such.
- Advanced options are now present for joystick and mouse control.
- The install screen asks you if you wish to install in the Terminal
Velocity directory (whoops, a boo-boo.)
- There is a hot key for steriods, but it is not mentioned in the Duke
Nukem 3D Help file, DN3DHELP.EXE (push R for instant steriods).
- You can now read the help file in setup (maybe this was in version
1.0, I don't remember.)
- You can blow up pipe bombs while looking in cameras...this is cool.
- You can exit cameras by pushing up, instead of having to cycle
through the different views and waste time.
- Supposedly you can drop bombs instead of having to throw them too.
- Oh, and the Counter of the number of times you play Duke Nukem 3D
goes back to zero (HOORAY!!!! :)

And other little features Apogee added that.

Other thoughts:

Did they really have to make saved games incompatible with the new
version. I have to go back and replay all those levels again, I guess.
Also, there is NO MENTION of whether 1.0 and 1.1 are compatible in
Modem play. Can you play someone else with version 1.0 if you have
version 1.1? I help so. If anyone has an answer to this, please post,
or e-mail.

--
Jared Ong
jo...@owl.csusm.edu

Paul Yee

Feb 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/23/96
In article <4genn9$1t...@bobcat.csusm.edu>,

Jared Ong <jo...@owl.csusm.edu> wrote:

>The Patch came out today (2/20/96, or 20.2.96). It's only 631k or so,
>so its not a hassle to download. I did see a couple of changes.

[some changes deleted]

>- ALL SAVED GAMES ARE DELETED because they are incompatible with Duke
> 3D v1.1 (what the heck were they thinking?)

Stronger words came to mind when I found that one out.

[more deletion]

>Other thoughts:
>
>Did they really have to make saved games incompatible with the new
>version. I have to go back and replay all those levels again, I guess.

After seeing all my saved files disappear *without prior warning*
(gee, thanks Apogee), I realized that my "severe reluctance" (to put
it mildly :-) to replay up to level 4 was actually a sign that,
despite all the eye-candy and technical innovations, I had had enough
of the game - it just wasn't compelling enough to play all over
again. Contrast this with DOOM or Descent, where I'd often try again
(after a long layoff) to go through levels at a high dificulty setting
just to see how far I could go without saving. Somehow I don't see
myself doing that for Duke 3D...

Now maybe if someone could come up with a new set of
graphics/sprites/sounds that completely remaps the atmosphere of Duke
3D to something a bit darker/more suspenseful, I'd reconsider,
especially in light of the superior Terminator: Future Shock type
aiming that Apogee so kindly implemented (I must give credit where
credit is due :-).

[modem play compatibility question deleted]

--
Regards,
Paul Yee