Epic MegaNews #3/Jazz Jackrabbit

sl...@cc.usu.edu

Aug 2, 1994, 3:56:03 AM8/2/94
Epic MegaGames MEGANEWS #3 August 1, 1994

The big news is Jazz Jackrabbit. The shareware version of Jazz will be
released today, August 1, to BBS's and Internet sites worldwide! As
you can probably tell, we're very excited about releasing this game.
It's Epic's largest production ever, and it's a very big, cool, high
quality game.

-Tim Sweeney, President/Epic MegaGames

=====================
About Jazz Jackrabbit
=====================

Fasten your seatbelts for the ride of your life! JAZZ JACKRABBIT is
coming towards you at light speed, and this little bunny carries a
big gun. The evil turtle emperor Devan Shell has rabbitnapped the
beloved princess Eva Earlong. Now he's swiping all the goodies
in the galaxy to support his plot of Galactic Rabbit Destruction!
Lead the speedy Jazz on a wild treasure hunt spanning enormous areas
jam-packed with major danger!

Jazz features ULTRA-FAST scrolling 256 color graphics, ROCKING Digital
Audio with Surround Sound, and WHITE-HOT action from Epic MegaGames!
Look out Sonic, this is one tough little bunny!

==================
Where to find Jazz
==================

On CompuServe:

* Jazz will be available as the Epic "Game of the Month" from the
"GO EPIC" service starting August 3. CompuServe members can
download it free throughout August.

Bulletin Boards:

* It's on Exec-PC BBS at 414-789-4360 (2400 to 14,400 baud).
Type "FFE" to get to the Free/Files/Epic area, then
download JAZZ.ZIP.

Internet:

* Checkout ftp.uml.edu in the \games\Epic directory.

If you're not online:

* Just call us at 800-972-7434 (or 301-738-0227) and we'll send you
the shareware version by mail for $5.

=======================================
How to buy Jazz Jackrabbit Episodes 2-6
=======================================

The shareware version of Jazz contains one episode with 11 levels:
6 massive game levels, 3 bonus levels, and boss guardian, and a
secret level.

The five other episodes of Jazz aren't available in shareware. You
can buy the collection of all SIX episodes directly from Epic.
Here's what you get:

* 36 regular levels
* 18 bonus levels
* 6 secret levels
* 6 boss guardian levels
* 5 fully-animated ending cinematics
* Over 8 megs of action, music, and animation
* The full-color Jazz manual and Jazz comic book

Here's how to contact us around the world to order:

USA/Canada England/Europe Germany/Europe
------------- ------------------- ---------------------
Phone 800-972-7434 +44 (01) 767 260903 +49 (0) 40-899 684-0
Fax 301-299-3841 +44 (01) 727 262043 +49 (0) 40-899 684-99
Episodes 1-3 $25 19 Pounds DM 49,00
Episodes 4-6 $25 19 Pounds DM 49,00
All 6 Eps. $39 29 Pounds DM 74,00
Shipping $4 p&h Included DM 6,00

Note: If you're posting MegaNews in a public conference that doesn't
allow commercial advertising, you may delete this section.

============
The HOT List
============

Here are the current, most popular Epic and Safari files:

1. EPICPN2.ZIP Updated EPIC PINBALL featuring the SUPER ANDROID table.
2. JILL.ZIP Jill of the Jungle. Epic's 1992 bestseller is still hip!
3. OMFPREV.ZIP Preview of One Must Fall, Epic's upcoming HOT fight game.

Jazz will hit the top of the list in about 12 hours... Stay tuned!

=======================
One Must Fall 2097 News
=======================

Good news for fight gamers -- the Mother of All Bugs has been
discovered and slain. Development is now continuing on One Must Fall
2097, the futuristic fighting game coming soon from Epic author Rob
Elam. Stay tuned for some exciting information in the next issue of
MegaNews!

=======================
Help Circulate MegaNews
=======================

Please help us circulate MegaNews by forwarding it to you friends
and by posting it on your favorite message conferences. We appreciate
your help. Thanks!

====================
The Creators of Jazz
====================

Now, we take you behind the scenes to meet the Jazz creators. Jazz
Jackrabbit was developed by:

Arjan Brussee (Programming) Cliff Bleszinski (Design & Artwork)
Nick Stadler (Animation) Robert Allen (Composer)

Thanks also to: Joshua Jensen (Music and Sound system), Nando Eweg
(Sound Effects), Andy Lehrfeld, and the Epic beta-testers.

Arjan Brussee began programming the Jazz Jackrabbit engine over two
years ago; at the time he was writing 3D demos with the famed Dutch
programming group Ultraforce. In early 1992, even before Jill of the
Jungle was released, I saw Arjan's first creation, "VectorDemo", and
spent the next six months trying to recruit him. Epic VP Mark Rein
had to personally fly to Europe to convince Arjan, but he finally
gave in and joined the Epic team.

A few months later, Epic author Cliff Bleszinski came up with the
Jazz Jackrabbit concept and began working with Arjan to turn it into
a reality. Arjan's programming prowess and Cliff's creative
inspiration melded into a game with the perfect combination of fast,
smooth graphics and pure fun. Musician Robert Allen (composer for Epic
Pinball) began writing some truly rocking tunes for the game, and
animator Nick Stadler joined the team and gave the main character his
animated, cartoon-style personality. The Jazz team has worked late
into the night for the last 12 months, spread out around the world
(Holland, California, and Maryland, to be exact), occasionally flying
into Epic's Rockville HQ for marathon development sessions.

The end result, which you can now download, is Jazz Jackrabbit.
Please try it; we hope you enjoy playing it. We certainly enjoyed
creating it!

-Tim Sweeney, President/Epic MegaGames

CompuServe: GO EPIC Orders: 800-972-7434
Internet FTP: ftp.uml.edu Tech support: 301-983-9771
Exec-PC BBS: 414-789-4360 Fax: 301-299-3841

Brian 'Doc' O'Neill

Aug 2, 1994, 12:29:04 PM8/2/94
In article <CtwtI...@nntpa.cb.att.com>, k...@mtgz895.mt.att.com (Ken Roser) writes:

|> In article <1994Aug2.0...@cc.usu.edu>, <sl...@cc.usu.edu> wrote:
|>
|> >Internet:
|> >
|> > * Checkout ftp.uml.edu in the \games\Epic directory.
|> >

|> It's not there yet as of Tuesday morning. I suspect it hasn't been
|> moved from the upload area.

It was never even uploaded. I just received it a few minutes ago and it
is now available.

Brian O'Neill - Systems Manager, Computer Science one...@cs.uml.edu
University of Massachusetts at Lowell Moderator, comp.binaries.ibm.pc
(508) 934-3645 Co-Moderator, comp.archives.msdos.announce
"I need to find a real job..." - Londo, Babylon-5, "Grail"

Ken Roser

Aug 2, 1994, 9:30:25 AM8/2/94

>Internet:
>
> * Checkout ftp.uml.edu in the \games\Epic directory.

It's not there yet as of Tuesday morning. I suspect it hasn't been

Adam Edwards

Aug 4, 1994, 11:54:09 AM8/4/94
In article <1994Aug2.0...@cc.usu.edu> sl...@cc.usu.edu writes:
>Epic MegaGames MEGANEWS #3 August 1, 1994
>=====================
>About Jazz Jackrabbit
>=====================
>==================
>Where to find Jazz
>==================
>
>If you're not online:
>
> * Just call us at 800-972-7434 (or 301-738-0227) and we'll send you
> the shareware version by mail for $5.

Heheheheheheheheh! Logic!
=-------------------------.-------------------------------------------=
| - Adam Edwards - | Audio Dynamite BBS +44 (0)71 813 3221 |
|ale...@sound.demon.co.uk | FIDO 2:254/402 MERC 240:102/6 SBC 14:200/0|
=-------------------------.-------------------------------------------=

Eatcheesepls

Oct 21, 2021, 6:32:31 AM10/21/21
this is insanely cool, i remember playing this game as a kid. different times

Eatcheesepls

Oct 21, 2021, 6:33:11 AM10/21/21
tirsdag den 2. august 1994 kl. 15.30.25 UTC+2 skrev Ken Roser:
this is insanely cool. i remember playing this game as a kid. different times

Spalls Hurgenson

Oct 21, 2021, 10:44:46 AM10/21/21
While I have fond memories of Jazz Jackrabbit*, I have even fonder
memories of downloading from FTP sites. Hammering the log-in until the
overloaded server finally let you in. Navigating the file structure to
get to the appropriate directory. Downloading the files. Don't forget
to switch to binary mode first! All those weird commands (it was the
gateway drug to learning Linux ;-) but it was worth it; in the end you
had some new game or program.

Of course, there were always BBS downloads, but most of those provided
a shell that hid the complexity. I much preferred the hands-on
approach of FTP downloads.

-------------------------------
* and not even memories from that long ago; I think I last played Jazz
Jackrabbit only a few months back. Admittedly, not for very long, but
long enough for me to appreciate its awesome music and impressive
speed.

Ant

Oct 21, 2021, 7:04:39 PM10/21/21
Spalls Hurgenson <spallsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2021 03:33:09 -0700 (PDT), Eatcheesepls
> <mathias...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >tirsdag den 2. august 1994 kl. 15.30.25 UTC+2 skrev Ken Roser:

> >> It's not there yet as of Tuesday morning. I suspect it hasn't been
> >> moved from the upload area.

Woah, flashbacks.

> >this is insanely cool. i remember playing this game as a kid. different times

> While I have fond memories of Jazz Jackrabbit*, I have even fonder
> memories of downloading from FTP sites. Hammering the log-in until the
> overloaded server finally let you in. Navigating the file structure to
> get to the appropriate directory. Downloading the files. Don't forget
> to switch to binary mode first! All those weird commands (it was the
> gateway drug to learning Linux ;-) but it was worth it; in the end you
> had some new game or program.

> Of course, there were always BBS downloads, but most of those provided
> a shell that hid the complexity. I much preferred the hands-on
> approach of FTP downloads.

Me too like ftp.cdrom.com's idsoftware for DOOM addons. I miss the old days.

> -------------------------------
> * and not even memories from that long ago; I think I last played Jazz
> Jackrabbit only a few months back. Admittedly, not for very long, but
> long enough for me to appreciate its awesome music and impressive
> speed.

I liked that game back in its days. I think it got a HD remaster?
--
Doyers! :/ Being old sucks. :(
| |o o| |

Spalls Hurgenson

Oct 22, 2021, 6:49:45 PM10/22/21
On Thu, 21 Oct 2021 18:04:33 -0500, a...@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:
>Spalls Hurgenson <spallsh...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> * and not even memories from that long ago; I think I last played Jazz
>> Jackrabbit only a few months back. Admittedly, not for very long, but
>> long enough for me to appreciate its awesome music and impressive
>> speed.

>I liked that game back in its days. I think it got a HD remaster?

I can't say. I have the GOG release from way back and its part of my
mega-DOSBox collection of games. It's not really a game that would
benefit greatly from an HD remaster anyway. The graphics are still
surprisingly sharp for a 30-year old DOS-era VGA game. I suppose they
could add smoother animation or extra lighting effects, but then you
lose some of the game's original charm.