Get the Doom talking out of here!!!

Marcin Radzikowski

Oct 26, 1994, 12:55:18 PM10/26/94
All you Doom fanatics (I'm one of them).....

PLEASE GO TO THE DOOM NEWSGROUP WITH YOUR POSTINGS!!!!

S Widlake

Oct 27, 1994, 5:36:19 AM10/27/94
In article <38m1lm$h...@nermal.cs.uoguelph.ca> mrad...@uoguelph.ca (Marcin Radzikowski) writes:
>From: mrad...@uoguelph.ca (Marcin Radzikowski)
>Subject: Get the Doom talking out of here!!!
>Date: 26 Oct 1994 16:55:18 GMT

>All you Doom fanatics (I'm one of them).....

> PLEASE GO TO THE DOOM NEWSGROUP WITH YOUR POSTINGS!!!!

And where do you want us to go if we can't get "alt.whatever.groups"

Why don't you bugger off instead?

S.

- --
.sig II Still Under Construction ...

David Sherrick

Oct 27, 1994, 9:56:30 AM10/27/94
In article h...@nermal.cs.uoguelph.ca, mrad...@uoguelph.ca (Marcin Radzikowski) writes:
>All you Doom fanatics (I'm one of them).....
>
> PLEASE GO TO THE DOOM NEWSGROUP WITH YOUR POSTINGS!!!!

This has been brought up many times before. But not everyone can get "alt"
news groups (including me). So I WILL be posting Doom questions to this news
group.

David

Tony Nugent

Oct 27, 1994, 9:59:45 AM10/27/94
mrad...@uoguelph.ca (Marcin Radzikowski) writes:

>All you Doom fanatics (I'm one of them).....

> PLEASE GO TO THE DOOM NEWSGROUP WITH YOUR POSTINGS!!!!

Many sites, like mine, don't carry any of the alt.games heirachy
:-(

So this newsgroup is the only choice we have.

If you don't want to see doom-related stuff here, then use your
kill file on phrases like "doom" and "wad".

And no need to shout :)

Cheers
Tony
__^__ . __^__
( ___ )-------------------------- _--_|\ --------------------( ___ )
| / | Tony Nugent / *\ Griffith University | \ |
| / | T.Nu...@sct.gu.edu.au \_.--._/ Nathan Brisbane | \ |
|_/_| tnu...@gucis.cit.gu.edu.au v Australia |_\_|
(_____)------------------------------------------------------(_____)

Daryl Krzewinski

Oct 27, 1994, 1:21:39 PM10/27/94

Has anybody suggested starting a second Doom newsgroup which is NOT
an "alt.", and then had automatic crossposting between the two??

I think this would make everybody happy, including those tired of
wading through Doom posts in this group (not me) as well as those
who can't get alt. groups (that's me).

Just an idea....

- Daryl

Jason Lynch

Oct 27, 1994, 5:33:51 PM10/27/94

I CAN'T GET ALT NEWSGROUPS! God, chill out! We'll post Doom
questions here if we damn well please!
--
See Ya!
Jason Lynch

che...@cui.unige.ch

Oct 27, 1994, 11:08:01 AM10/27/94
In article <38m1lm$h...@nermal.cs.uoguelph.ca>, mrad...@uoguelph.ca (Marcin Radzikowski) says:

>All you Doom fanatics (I'm one of them).....
>
> PLEASE GO TO THE DOOM NEWSGROUP WITH YOUR POSTINGS!!!!

Unfortunately not everyone on the net has the ability to get the
alt.* newsgroups. This is the case here in Switzerland, so we all
are happy to read about DOOM here in the games newsgroup !!!
-= mike =-

Michael Traun

Oct 27, 1994, 4:01:37 PM10/27/94
Marcin Radzikowski (mrad...@uoguelph.ca) wrote:
: All you Doom fanatics (I'm one of them).....

: PLEASE GO TO THE DOOM NEWSGROUP WITH YOUR POSTINGS!!!!

Well, some of us can't get the Doom newsgroups. Where does that leave us,
huh?

mtr...@capcon.apana.org.au

Dave

Oct 28, 1994, 9:32:20 PM10/28/94

mrad...@uoguelph.ca (Marcin Radzikowski) writes:

>All you Doom fanatics (I'm one of them).....
>
> PLEASE GO TO THE DOOM NEWSGROUP WITH YOUR POSTINGS!!!!

Of interest to the originator and others there is a vote to create
a Doom group since not everyone can get alt. The last post I saw is
included below.

Dave

-------------------------------begin included message

From vane...@maroon.tc.umn.edu (John Van Essen)
Newsgroups: news.announce.newgroups,news.groups,alt.games.doom,alt.games.doom.announce,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.sgi.misc,comp.sys.next.misc,comp.os.os2.games,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: RFD: rec.games.computer.doom.*
Date: 19 Sep 1994 16:11:34 -0400

1st REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
rec.games.computer.doom.*

Group Names: rec.games.computer.doom.{announce,help,gameplay,
editing,multiplayer,misc}
Replaces alt.games.{doom,doom.announce,doom.newplayers}
Proposed By: John Van Essen <vane...@maroon.tc.umn.edu>
With Help From: Contributors in alt.games.doom too numerous to mention.
Posted To: news.announce.newgroups comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
news.groups comp.sys.sgi.misc
alt.games.doom.announce comp.sys.next.misc
alt.games.doom comp.os.linux.misc
comp.os.os2.games

Proposed Newsgroup Lines:

rec.games.computer.doom.announce FAQs/info/reviews about DOOM (Moderated)
rec.games.computer.doom.help DOOM Help Service (setup/secrets/etc.)
rec.games.computer.doom.gameplay Discussion about levels/techniques/PWADs
rec.games.computer.doom.editing Editing/hacking DOOM-related files
rec.games.computer.doom.multiplayer Tourneys, opponent ads, config questions
rec.games.computer.doom.misc General discussion about DOOM and id Software

NOTE: The new rec.games.computer and rec.games.computer.doom nodes whose
creation is implied here are not newsgroups - no posting intended there.

PURPOSE
=======

The rec.games.computer.doom hierarchy is for discussing various topics
relating to the popular action-oriented computer game DOOM, written by
id Software, and its sequels and user-written add-ons. It would also
consolidate DOOM-related discussion currently underway in other
newsgroups. It is intended for world-wide distribution.

This proposal also establishes a new rec.games.computer newsgroup
subhierarchy for games that run on general-purpose computers.

DISCUSSION
==========

The Sep 11 "Top 25 News Groups by number of articles for the last 2 weeks"
article in news.lists shows that alt.games.doom currently gets almost
300 articles/day - the 5th-highest posting rate by individuals to a single
newsgroup (throwing out the top 3 'newsgroups'):

No. of $ Cost 76654f Cumulative
Rank Kbytes Articles per Site Total 1504f Total Group (Articles/contributor)
1 491023.9 14891 39.30 0.7% alt.binaries.pictures.* (4.3)
2 20405.6 7666 20.23 0.4% ncar.weather (7666.0)
3 8874.7 5380 14.20 0.3% inet (2.0)
4 2982.6 4798 12.66 0.2% relcom.commerce.food (6.4)
5 7867.3 4670 12.32 0.2% cbd.procurements (1.0)
6 6557.3 4616 12.18 0.2 % misc.jobs.offered (5.4)
7 8074.9 4531 11.96 0.2 % rec.games.deckmaster (3.9)
8 4902.9 4071 10.74 0.2 % alt.games.doom (2.9)

An alt.games.doom.announce newsgroup was created after discussion in
alt.config, but more splitting is needed for unmoderated topics.

Some DOOM-related newsgroups were created without discussion in either
alt.games.doom or alt.config and are likely to have poor propagation.
Among them are alt.games.doom.newplayers, alt.games.quake, and a few others.

DOOM was developed on a NeXT and is being ported to other platforms.
Versions exist for the PC (MSDOS/LINUX/QNX), SGI (Irix 5.2), and NeXT,
with ports planned or in progress to WINDOWS, OS/2, MAC, JAG, and SEGA.
So the potential readership of a DOOM-related newsgroup continues to grow.

RATIONALE FOR THE SPLIT
=======================

Readers looking for information in specific areas are finding it more and
more difficult to sift through the general chatter to find relevant posts.

The split allows players to choose topics according to their interests.
Someone new to DOOM, for example, might ignore .matches, lurk in .editing,
and post to .gameplay. An editor developer might ignore the .gameplay
and .multiplayer groups and post to .editing.

The split also allows readers who pay for access or who have slow transfer
rates to select a subset of the currently undifferentiated articles. This
may allow the return of readers who "unsubscribed" due to the high volume.

However, if the group is split into too many sub-specialties, it's going
to be difficult for someone with wide and varying interests to keep up.

There will be no subgroups for binaries. The current alt.binaries.doom
newsgroup will suffice.

RATIONALE FOR CHOOSING REC.GAMES.COMPUTER.DOOM

The volume of posting indicates that alt.games.doom is very popular and
deserves "promotion" to the Big 7. So in conjunction with the splitting,
now is the time to pack up and move. This will better encourage readers
to post to the appropriate subgroup than to attempt (and fail) to split
alt.games.doom in place. Poorly propagated alt groups won't get used.

Many sites don't carry alt groups, so current comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
readers could get more complete DOOM info by reading these Big 7 newsgroups.

DOOM is not machine or OS-specific - hence the proposed rec.games location.

A possible rec.games.id subhierarchy was discussed, but comments from
group-advice strongly advised against a company-based subhierarchy, and
recommended the establishment of a rec.games.computer subheirarchy.

The interest in computer games (DOOM in particular) is growing, and now
is a good time to establish a rec.games.computer subhierarchy to gather
together computer-based games. There are no machine or OS requirments -
only that the game run on a general-purpose type of computer.

The few computer-related games already under rec.games will stay put -
they will not affected by the creation of rec.games.computer.

CHARTERS
========

rec.games.computer.doom.announce FAQs/info/reviews about DOOM (Moderated)

The sort of postings likely to be to be approved by the moderator are
general announcements that are interesting to the broad spectrum of DOOM
players. Examples of these types of articles are:

- Anything from id Software
- New PWAD and LMP announcements
- Announcements of new versions of utilities like DEU and DEHACKED
- Tourney announcements
- FTP site news (downtime, user limits, etc)
- FAQs and similarly informative documents
- Reviews of user-written PWADs

The current moderator of alt.games.doom.announce, Tony Lezard, says that
he'd be happy to moderate this newsgroup using the current addresses.
Articles would be crossposted to both announce groups for awhile, with
the alt group fading out eventually. The addresses are:

Submit: do...@mantis.co.uk
Contact: doom-r...@mantis.co.uk (Tony Lezard)

This newsgroup replaces alt.games.doom.announce.

rec.games.computer.doom.help DOOM Help Service (setup/secrets/etc.)

This unmoderated newsgroup is the headquarters of the DOOM Help Service.
Readers new to USENET or to DOOM who post questions here will receive a
flame-free friendly response from experienced USENETters and DOOM players.
Game setup, hardware problems, modem/network setup, secrets, cheats, how
to get DOOM and related utilities are a few examples of suitable topics.

Questions about modifying/editing levels belong in the .editing group.

This newsgroup replaces alt.games.doom.newplayers.

rec.games.computer.doom.gameplay Discussion about levels/techniques/PWADs

Discussion about playing DOOM takes place here (not only about playing
id's original levels, but also about playing user-written PWADs).
Topics include how to find secrets, keyboard/mouse movement techniques,
side-effects of playing DOOM, where to find good PWADS (and which ones
are favorites), deathmatch experiences, and so forth.

PWAD upload notices can be posted here when not posted in .announce.

Non-gameplay-related topics belong in the .misc group.

rec.games.computer.doom.editing Editing/hacking DOOM-related files

Discussion here covers modifying the DOOM environment, especially the
EXE and WAD files. There are many user-written utilities available that
do these types of things. Some authors and experienced users can answer
questions about design techniques and using the utilities. Examples of
topics are effects of design error (HOM, Medusa), design problems in
user-written PWADs, modifying default DOOM behavior, utility enhancements.

Questions about playing user-written PWADs (secrets, keys, etc.) should
not be posted here - post in .gameplay instead.

The doom-editing mailing list (created to escape the noise in a.g.d)
perhaps would fold back into this newsgroup or be gatewayed thereto.

rec.games.computer.doom.multiplayer Tourneys, opponent ads, config questions

Here is where to find info about playing DOOM with multiple players.
Readers in search of modem/network multi-player (co-op or deathmatch)
partners can look here for ads or post their own. Deathmatch tournament
announcements, results, and discussion thereof also go here. Difficult
problems with connectivity or configurations can be discussed here, too.

rec.games.computer.doom.misc General discussion about DOOM and id Software

Here is where discussion occurs about non-play-related issues that
aren't suitable (or only marginally so) for the other subgroups.
Examples are FTP issues, ports of DOOM to other systems, piracy,
"DOOM - the Movie", DOOM II vs. DOOM, what's the best soundcard,
DOOM-related ads, comparisons with other games, magazine articles,
people at id and their cars, future id plans. In general, if it
isn't about actually playing the game, post it here.

CROSSPOSTING AMONG REC.GAMES.COMPUTER.DOOM NEWSGROUPS

In general, cross-posting among discussion groups is strongly discouraged.
Articles posted to .announce can be cross-posted to other relevant groups.

CONSEQUENCES FOR ALT.GAMES.DOOM GROUPS
======================================

Once the rec.games groups are created, there'll be massive cross-posting
to the existing alt.games.doom newsgroups until the new newsgroups are
created on the participating news servers. About a month after the
initial newgroups, cross-posting will be discouraged, and reminders will
be posted to the following newsgroups directing them elsewhere:

alt.games.doom -> rec.games.computer.doom.misc (mostly)
alt.games.doom.newplayers -> rec.games.computer.doom.help
alt.games.doom.announce -> rec.games.computer.doom.announce

After 6 months, an attempt can be made to rmgroup the alt.games.doom
hierarchy if no traffic remains. Given the anarchy in alt, there
will be news sites that won't honor the rmgroup, so it will never
completely go away. Such is life in USENET.

EPILOGUE
========

The discussion period lasts at least 21 days from the initial post of
this RFD. If there are no major objections to the naming or
placement, then the CFV (Call For Votes) will be issued, lasting for
21 days. Following the vote, there is a 5 day discussion period after
which newsgroups that passed will be newgrouped by the moderator of
news.announce.newgroups.

This RFD was discussed for about 10 days in alt.games.doom and many
suggestions were incorporated, so many issues have already been addressed.

Followups to this post are directed to news.groups, which is where
further discussion will take place. Cross-posted followups are
discouraged. Please read news.groups to participate.

-------------------------------end included message

r...@comfo.cuug.ab.ca

Oct 29, 1994, 8:08:30 PM10/29/94

IS>In article <38m1lm$h...@nermal.cs.uoguelph.ca> mrad...@uoguelph.ca (Marcin
IS>Radzikowski) writes:
IS>>From: mrad...@uoguelph.ca (Marcin Radzikowski)
IS>>Subject: Get the Doom talking out of here!!!
IS>>Date: 26 Oct 1994 16:55:18 GMT

IS>>All you Doom fanatics (I'm one of them).....

IS>> PLEASE GO TO THE DOOM NEWSGROUP WITH YOUR POSTINGS!!!!

Hey man! this is a games echo thingy right? yeah I thought so
so get a life!...oh yeah does this bother you?
DOOM! DOOM! DOOM! DOOM! DOOM! DOOM! DOOM! DOOM! DOOM! DOOM! DOOM! DOOM!

"I can't be wrong,my modem is error correcting"

r...@comfo.cuug.ab.ca

Oct 29, 1994, 8:08:31 PM10/29/94

IS>In article h...@nermal.cs.uoguelph.ca, mrad...@uoguelph.ca (Marcin

IS>Radzikowski) writes:
IS>>All you Doom fanatics (I'm one of them).....
IS>>
IS>> PLEASE GO TO THE DOOM NEWSGROUP WITH YOUR POSTINGS!!!!

IS>This has been brought up many times before. But not everyone can get "alt"
IS>news groups (including me). So I WILL be posting Doom questions to this new
IS>group.

IS>David

Bravo! Doom rules...he must be a Mac mouse boy!

r...@comfo.cuug.ab.ca

Oct 29, 1994, 8:08:32 PM10/29/94

IA>I CAN'T GET ALT NEWSGROUPS! God, chill out! We'll post Doom
IA>questions here if we damn well please!
IA>--
IA> See Ya!
IA> Jason Lynch
IA> ab...@detroit.freenet.org

And again, Bravo! you might get the idea this guy is running 286 and
can't run doom...or worse we's on a (hurl) Mac!

Frans P. de Vries

Oct 29, 1994, 3:56:14 PM10/29/94
To all complaining about DOOM traffic in this newsgroup or not being able
to receive the alt.games.doom.* groups, and to
Daryl Krzewinski (krzew...@iccgcc.cs.hh.ab.com), who wrote:
: Has anybody suggested starting a second Doom newsgroup which is NOT

: an "alt.", and then had automatic crossposting between the two??

You all must have missed the RFDs/CFVs for rec.games.computer.doom.*, posted
to this and many other newsgroups. If the vote passes, which I think is more
than likely considering DOOM's popularity, your wishes will be fulfilled :)

: I think this would make everybody happy, including those tired of

: wading through Doom posts in this group (not me) as well as those
: who can't get alt. groups (that's me).

I agree. If you want the rgc.doom.* groups to happen, vote YES for them,
if you want to get DOOM traffic out of here, also vote YES :) The vote
is open until midnight 3 November 1994, so don't miss the opportunity.
--
Frans P. de Vries | f...@xymph.iaf.nl | DOOM][ + GUS1M == ImMeRsIoN!