Trying to remember the name of an old game

Default User

May 18, 2007, 6:51:20 PM5/18/07

This is a long shot, but someone may be able to help me remember a game
I played a ways back. It was actually two, games, the second being a
sort of sequel. I'm sure I have it packed away somewhere, but no idea
where.

Anyway, I bought these around 1990-1994, they ran on DOS. They were
space-going adventure type games. In both, you could earn money to buy
fuel/upgrades for your ship a couple ways.

You could travel to other star systems (there was a big map stars (with
color) and their coordinates). If there was a planet suitable for
colonization, you could register it and get paid. You could also go
down to planetary surfaces and find valuable lifeforms and ores and
such.

You could get into battles with other ships, and if you destroyed them
you could scavenge the debris for fuel or cargo.

In the first game, the end comes when you discover that the fuel
everyone has been using is actually a very slow-living crystalline
lifeform.

The second has you searching for a mysterious vanished race, called the
Umana or something like that. When you finally find them in the end,
they turn out to be human, the name having changed over the centuries.

I have crossposted this to both comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure and
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, as I wasn't sure which was more
appropriate. Feel free to reduce that to the group you read if you
wish, I will monitor both.

Hope there's somebody out there who remembers!

Brian

xorxif

May 18, 2007, 10:20:30 PM5/18/07
It sounds a lot like Solar Winds:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_winds

However there were certain details that I couldn't seem to remember
matching your description. Maybe it was Masters Of Orion?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_orion

... which did have sequels.

- xorxif

Spalls Hurgenson

May 18, 2007, 10:52:55 PM5/18/07
On 18 May 2007 22:51:20 GMT, "Default User" <defaul...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>This is a long shot, but someone may be able to help me remember a game
>I played a ways back. It was actually two, games, the second being a
>sort of sequel. I'm sure I have it packed away somewhere, but no idea
>where.

<snip>

Sounds like Starflight I and Starflight II to me. It was the "power
crystals that were really living creatures" that gave it away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starflight

turk

May 19, 2007, 12:03:19 AM5/19/07
"Spalls Hurgenson" <yoi...@ebalu.com> wrote in message

That's what I figured it was. You can download them here:

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=2086

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=2087

My other guess was Star Control 2.
http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=5216

(and please no bullshit about abandonware=piracy)

But, a better version for modern computers is this fan made update, the
Ur-Quan Masters: http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

turk
--
If churches want to play the game of politics, let them pay admission like
everyone else.

turk

May 19, 2007, 12:06:04 AM5/19/07
"Default User" <defaul...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Definitely Starflight 1 and 2 and/or Star Control 2.

Links are here:

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=2086

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=2087

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=5216

Modern fan made version is here (and it's very well done, I might add):

May 19, 2007, 1:15:34 AM5/19/07
turk wrote:

> "Spalls Hurgenson" <yoi...@ebalu.com> wrote in message
> > On 18 May 2007 22:51:20 GMT, "Default User"
> > <defaul...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> > > This is a long shot, but someone may be able to help me remember
> > > a game I played a ways back. It was actually two, games, the
> > > second being a sort of sequel. I'm sure I have it packed away
> > > somewhere, but no idea where.
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > Sounds like Starflight I and Starflight II to me. It was the "power
> > crystals that were really living creatures" that gave it away.
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starflight
>
> That's what I figured it was. You can download them here:

That looks like them, thanks to both of you for the information. I
appreciate the help.

Brian

won't shut up.

May 19, 2007, 1:16:54 AM5/19/07
xorxif wrote:

> It sounds a lot like Solar Winds:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_winds
>
> However there were certain details that I couldn't seem to remember
> matching your description. Maybe it was Masters Of Orion?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_orion

Looks like the other guys probably hit on the ones I was asking about,
but these look interesting. I'll check them out.

Thanks.